Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Love Your S'elf/ A FREE Podcast Tutorial featuring Lauscha Caramello

firelady
2009-05-22, 6:51pm
Our FIRST Podcast Tutorial...
http://www.fireladyproductions.com/Site/Podcasts/Entries/2009/5/22_Love_Your_Self_A_Podcast_Tutorial.html

For a very long time I've considered the podcast potential for creating "enhanced tutorials". So here we go. Watch! Look! And Listen!

Suzie Fitzwater shares how she constructs her S'elf. It's just the CUTEST little flameworked Elf on a mandrel.

We created this tutorial to feature the flesh tones of Lauscha's CARAMELLO.

If YOU have great photos, can speak in full sentences, and have a tutorial you think would translate well as a podcast, contact me at firelady@gate.net.

We're celebrating the release of this multi-media tutorial with a 30% off Sale on Caramello at www.firelady.com

I am so excited to have finally launched the "Glasscaster Tutorial" concept. Whew! Hope you enjoy it.167245167246

firelady
2009-05-22, 6:53pm
If you have comments or questions....I'll be away for the weekend, but back in the office Tuesday.

:)
Marcie

Soupy
2009-05-22, 8:24pm
Marcie, I can't get it to work. I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong! LOL

Meow Meow Beads
2009-05-22, 8:38pm
Omg soupy!!!!!!!!! This is fabulous!!!!!!!

Soupy
2009-05-22, 8:44pm
I didn't know Marcia would announce it here. Although, I don't know why I thought that? :-k

Now I'm all embarrassed. I guess I thought only total strangers would see it!#-o

OMG! Now you all will know what I sound like! :oops:

And I can't even get it to play for me! LOL

firelady
2009-05-22, 10:05pm
If you're having trouble, just go to:
www.fireladyproductions.com
Click: Podcasts
You'll see it listed there. Click on it.

For some inexplicable reason the page takes a long time to load.
It's not that long, or that big a file. When I get back next week
I'll see if I can change a setting or something to make it quicker.

But have patience! It works!

And by the way, I think you sound absolutely awesome!

Good night!

:waving:

Marcie

Hels
2009-05-22, 10:16pm
I think you sound awsome too Sue... and as I have one of her S'elf's, I can tell you they are AMAZING looking!!!

az_nativeart
2009-05-23, 7:38am
I couldn't get it to play in firefox. You might want to check that out. It would not play at all in firefox even though it is the most up to date version. The Quick time Q came up but that was it. It then went back to a blank screen. Played ok in IE.

Cool Tut by the way. Congratulations Soupy. Such a cutie.

Carols Glass
2009-05-23, 8:45am
It just played in Firefox for me.

What a wonderful tutorial, I love the little S'elfs!!!

I can't wait to try it. :-) Thank you so much, Sue!

EmbellishYourself
2009-05-23, 11:30am
Wonderful tutorial and a great site!!!

Soupy
2009-05-23, 3:52pm
I finally got it to work. Great job Marcie!

PeggyRose
2009-05-24, 6:05am
Hey Suzie,

What a wonderful tut! I had a blast watching it and just had to try one. (I think your voice sounds great!)

So, here is my first s'elf, his little bum is a little off center, but oh well.

thanks so much for the tut!!!! Thanks also to Marcie for putting the podcast together!

tail wags,
Peggy

Soupy
2009-05-24, 6:47am
Peggy, excellent job! Oh man, I LOVE your flowers!!! And his bum doesn't look off center at all, but (butt?) I know what you mean. Fortunately, no one will ever notice because they'll be SO impressed with him. :D

Soupy
2009-05-24, 6:49am
Feel free to mail your S'Elf to me if you don't love your S'Elf, because I sure do!!

PeggyRose
2009-05-24, 7:27am
WOW, thanks for the kind words of my first s'elf and his bum. I think he will get a prime place around my neck, thank you very much.

thanks again, for the wonderful tut!

tail wags,
Peggy

Carols Glass
2009-05-24, 7:32am
Peggy, that S'elf is perfect!

I wish I would have tried it last night instead of wasting my time with the ugly beads I made!

tt4st
2009-05-24, 12:45pm
Thanks Suzie and Marcie. What a wonderful tutorial!!!!

Peggy, Congrats on a very cute little s'elf!

PaulaD
2009-05-24, 7:57pm
That was great! Peggy Rose your elves are looking really good!
Paula

PeggyRose
2009-05-25, 5:32pm
Thanks Paula, Suzanne and Carol.

Is anybody else trying this tut? We would all love to see your s'elfs!!!!

tail wags,
Peggy

firelady
2009-05-26, 7:56am
I am so thrilled that you're all having so much fun and enjoying the tutorial.

I just tried it on Firefox and it actually loaded and began playing for me much faster than in Safari, where it typically takes a bit of time to get started.

And so.....what kind of tutorials do we need?

Please suggest ideas, and also artists who would be suitable.

Suzie has the greatest dynamic range to her voice and she has such
a terrific delivery/narration style.

Hey Sue.....want to do more????

Marcie

PeggyRose
2009-05-26, 8:41am
Well, I have one more S'elf, to show. Suzie, you are so right, pink is just way tooooo pink. I used a "melon pink" I have, lauscha and it went in the kiln a translucent fleshy pink, but came out this......

He is cute, but just a little too pink. I think I am going to call these guys wood elves, they are a little more elongated than your cute little S'elfs.

I can't say thanks enough for your tut!

tail wags,
Peggy

Meow Meow Beads
2009-05-26, 8:59am
YEAH!!!! I GOT IT TO PLAY!!!!!
SUE you sound so sweet!!!! Good voice!!!!!!
I think you should turn it into a PDF...LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR SUZIE'S ELF!!!!!!

I have a watermelon elf....HE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!
pink,and green...HE IS PERFECT!!!!!

Soupy
2009-05-26, 1:43pm
Marcie, OMG! Do you know what agony it was doing one?!! And you want me to do another?! Yikes!!! :lol: To tell you the truth, I don't know what else I could teach, *shrug*, but I'd be willing to give anything a try. :)

Wow Peggy! You are zooming!
I've found pinks can be very dangerous. However, if you use colors on purpose, they can turn out fun, like a little green guy or orange guy. Oh, and moretti light brown makes a really cute S'Elf.

Meow Sue, Beware of "sweet" voices! Voices can be deceiving of personalities.:devang:
And yes I have to agree with you, the watermelon S'Elf turned out really cute.
I'm seriously thinking about a pdf tut for people like me who need step by step pictures right at the torch.

Fran
2009-06-04, 8:36am
Just watched it, and I think it's a wonderful tutorial! I can't wait to try one, hopefully I can get some Caramello here. Sue, I think you sound as cute as your S'Elf :-D I like your comments about each step.

Fran :0)

firelady
2009-06-04, 9:12am
Hi Fran!

If you need Caramello, I ship to Canada all the time.
And Caramello is currently on sale. It's usually $36.50 US, but
right now it's selling for $25.55 lb.

You can find it at:
http://www.firelady.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SNO%5F630%5FCaramello

It's one of my favorite colors...

Fran
2009-06-04, 10:21am
Thanks Marcie. Just placed an order with you :)

firelady
2009-06-04, 10:40am
Got it! Thanks so much!

I did just receive a notification that the automatic email sent to you acknowledging your order failed. Should I try to resend it to: info@dragonfirebeads.com???

Please let me know. Anyway, I am, here and in person....virtually acknowledging receipt of your order!

Bye for now!
Marcie

Soupy
2009-06-04, 5:53pm
Aww, thanks so much Fran!:oops:
I usually make a lot MORE comments, but I was trying to be "professional" :lol:
Just watched it, and I think it's a wonderful tutorial! I can't wait to try one, hopefully I can get some Caramello here. Sue, I think you sound as cute as your S'Elf :-D I like your comments about each step.

Fran :0)

firelady
2009-06-04, 9:24pm
And you were!! I personally was quite impressed!

Reenie
2009-06-04, 10:35pm
Can you download this onto an itouch? I can't figure out how I could do that:-)

Soupy
2009-06-05, 7:02am
And you were!! I personally was quite impressed!
Thanks so much Marcie!

Can you download this onto an itouch? I can't figure out how I could do that:-)
Ooo, Irene, that's a really good question. AND a good idea! :)

firelady
2009-06-05, 7:05am
Great question! I have an iPod and iPhone but I'm completely unfamiliar with the capabilities of the iTouch. However, for downloading purposes I know that if you load the page with the tutorial, and then right click on the orange square of the tutorial image itself, you have options, including "Save as Source" and "Save as Quicktime Movie". So try those and see what you get.....And let us know how it works (or not!)

Soupy
2009-06-05, 7:09am
And if someone gets it to save, give DETAILED direction on how to do it, please!!!!! :D

Fran
2009-06-05, 8:37am
I'm sure there's a way, isn't Quicktime an Apple thingy?

ryman
2009-06-13, 7:22am
I had great fun with my first try at my s'elf! Thanks so much Suzie for your clear explanations. I hadn't tried sculptural figures before, it was fun to attempt!
Sharon169584169585

Soupy
2009-06-13, 7:32am
Sharon, he's so cute! I think that's an EXCELLENT first try!

Carols Glass
2009-06-13, 8:28am
Oh, Sharon, I love your s'elf!

Carols Glass
2009-06-13, 8:29am
I wish this was in a pdf so I could print it out and take it to my torch.

I think I am going to take one of my old computers down near my torch so I can play that and make one as I click through the steps!

Sherri*S
2009-06-13, 10:17am
Hey, Sue, I just ran across this today---excellent tutorial. I'm going to have to try this tonight if I can get on the torch. I'm sure it will end up looking nothing like yours tho ;)

patries74
2009-06-15, 12:08am
what a nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing :love:

I tried to make a S'elf....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/trieske74/cocobeads12/P5270074.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/trieske74/cocobeads12/P5270076.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/trieske74/cocobeads12/P5270078.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/trieske74/cocobeads12/P5270081.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/trieske74/cocobeads12/P5270083.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/trieske74/cocobeads12/P5270085.jpg

mewsicmama
2009-06-15, 1:19am
Loving these!!

Soupy
2009-06-15, 12:03pm
I wish this was in a pdf so I could print it out and take it to my torch.

I think I am going to take one of my old computers down near my torch so I can play that and make one as I click through the steps!
I'm thinkin' about making a pdf ... thinking ... :)

Hey, Sue, I just ran across this today---excellent tutorial. I'm going to have to try this tonight if I can get on the torch. I'm sure it will end up looking nothing like yours tho ;)
You're going to share pictures, right Sherri? :D
If you do, maybe I'll back off on the Pipyr thread. Maybe. :-\"

what a nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing :love:

I tried to make a S'elf....

Wow! What a great job! I love their little pink cheeks!\\:D/

Carols Glass
2009-06-16, 5:39pm
ok, I just went ahead and took notes and drew some pictures so I could try it :-).

and that is a really sweet s'elf patries!!!

Soupy
2009-06-16, 10:55pm
Be sure to share pictures Carol! :D

papimom
2009-06-19, 5:08am
Okay, just to face up. I saw this when you first posted it.
Watched the video. Drew pictures of how I saw the steps and hit the torch.
Made an elf that gave me giggles. Strung it on a chain and my Mom immediately claimed it.
The poor elf is now living in a small town in Arkansas being oohed and aahed over by all the church ladies. But, not pictures. Darn.
He really came out cute and now I have to do this again and again because I like him.
So, Big Thanks to you for your generosity. Just be warned not all elves are sweet and good. I think his evil twin is on this way.
Joan

firelady
2009-06-19, 6:44am
You guys are awesome! I love those elves. Makes me happy just to look at them....

Fran
2009-06-19, 7:33pm
Marcie, I got my glass the other day! I had to finish an order and get it off in the mail this week, now I can't wait to play with the caramello :D
Thanks so much for getting that out to me right away.

Carols Glass
2009-06-19, 10:23pm
Sue,

I went to make the s'elf tonight (finally), and I couldn't find my notes anywhere, so I made a little one by memory and I will try to get pics after it comes out of the kiln in the morning. It's a tiny little thing. I can hardly wait to see it.

Carols Glass
2009-06-20, 10:00am
My s'elf is 37mm tall and about 28mm wide.

I really like him but wish I'd had my notes...thanks so much Sue for this fun tutorial!!!

ok, a self-critique here, navel is in the wrong place (I even moved it once), one eye is not deep enough (I poked them twice!), the toes are all wrong, but you don't notice these things when they are so tiny as he is sitting right here beside me.

and the mouth isn't deep enough and the nose is too big......

did you know my son called right in the middle of this so I had to put him in the kiln and get him back out to finish? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Most people may not put theirs on if it looked this bad but I have no shame I guess!

theglasszone
2009-06-20, 3:50pm
HELP ME!!! I still can't get this to play :( I installed QuickTime and everything! Do I have to restart or something? What the heck!!!

I could sure use some assistance - I'm a dork when it comes to comp stuff - and I SO want to see this!

Thx,
De

theglasszone
2009-06-20, 3:50pm
And everyone's little S'Elfies are darling! I wanna try...!!!

De

theglasszone
2009-06-20, 3:55pm
PFFFFTTTT!!! I'm a dork - restarted and it's working now - yippee!!!

De

firelady
2009-06-20, 11:26pm
So glad to hear it!!!

Soupy
2009-06-21, 5:10pm
Okay, just to face up. I saw this when you first posted it.
Watched the video. Drew pictures of how I saw the steps and hit the torch.
Made an elf that gave me giggles. Strung it on a chain and my Mom immediately claimed it.
The poor elf is now living in a small town in Arkansas being oohed and aahed over by all the church ladies. But, not pictures. Darn.
He really came out cute and now I have to do this again and again because I like him.
So, Big Thanks to you for your generosity. Just be warned not all elves are sweet and good. I think his evil twin is on this way.
Joan
JOAN! The next time you visit your mom, you WILL take a picture, right? :)
I'm sure all your mom's friends think you're a genius now! :D

Sue,

I went to make the s'elf tonight (finally), and I couldn't find my notes anywhere, so I made a little one by memory and I will try to get pics after it comes out of the kiln in the morning. It's a tiny little thing. I can hardly wait to see it.

My s'elf is 37mm tall and about 28mm wide.

I really like him but wish I'd had my notes...thanks so much Sue for this fun tutorial!!!

ok, a self-critique here, navel is in the wrong place (I even moved it once), one eye is not deep enough (I poked them twice!), the toes are all wrong, but you don't notice these things when they are so tiny as he is sitting right here beside me.

and the mouth isn't deep enough and the nose is too big......

did you know my son called right in the middle of this so I had to put him in the kiln and get him back out to finish? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Most people may not put theirs on if it looked this bad but I have no shame I guess!
Caorl, I think he's an excellent first try! I NEVER tried coming back to finish one, I'm either all in or all out. I'd be too chicken to try. LOL

HELP ME!!! I still can't get this to play :( I installed QuickTime and everything! Do I have to restart or something? What the heck!!!

I could sure use some assistance - I'm a dork when it comes to comp stuff - and I SO want to see this!

Thx,
De

PFFFFTTTT!!! I'm a dork - restarted and it's working now - yippee!!!

De
De, I'm so glad it works now because I had NO idea how to help you out be sure you post a picture of your tries!!!! :D

Carols Glass
2009-06-23, 10:21am
Sue, that is such a wonderful tutorial and you do it so well and you make it so much fun to watch and it is a good thing, too because I have seen it quite a few times now. I just watched it again and see that I forgot to use ANY stringer in the eyes, no wonder he looks so silly.

Well, I can't wait to try it again. Maybe this time I will find my notes, too!

Soupy
2009-06-26, 12:42pm
Sue, that is such a wonderful tutorial and you do it so well and you make it so much fun to watch and it is a good thing, too because I have seen it quite a few times now. I just watched it again and see that I forgot to use ANY stringer in the eyes, no wonder he looks so silly.

Well, I can't wait to try it again. Maybe this time I will find my notes, too!

Carol, that's funny, I didn't notice that you hadn't used any stringer. I just though you'd poked it in deep and it broke off way in so didn't show up as much. :lol:

Carols Glass
2009-06-26, 3:02pm
Sue,

the last time (second time) I made a s'elf, another phone call but this time I called them back when I was done with the body. So, I called my sister back as soon as I was done with the body. When I got back I made the head and used the black stringer for the eyes but they are so crooked and the head is too small and even though I had 2 rods of the same color of CIM they were from different batches and the head is way lighter than the body!

The body is really fat and squatty but I will try to match that soon with a fat head, lol!

I just don't love my s'elf yet.....

Soupy
2009-06-26, 4:43pm
Sue,

the last time (second time) I made a s'elf, another phone call but this time I called them back when I was done with the body. So, I called my sister back as soon as I was done with the body. When I got back I made the head and used the black stringer for the eyes but they are so crooked and the head is too small and even though I had 2 rods of the same color of CIM they were from different batches and the head is way lighter than the body!

The body is really fat and squatty but I will try to match that soon with a fat head, lol!

I just don't love my s'elf yet.....

Carol, maybe you didn't make YOUR S'elf, but someone else's, so you don't have to worry about not loving your S'elf because you haven't made yours yet. :D

One of the reasons I really like the Caramello is the fact that the color always seems to work, even if you use two different rods. Plus, the Lauscha rods are a bit thicker than most other brands so you can get complete bodies with one rod, even if they are larger.

glasshouse
2009-07-05, 12:27pm
Sue, I watched this the other day and meant to comment. I love your s'elfs!!!! They are so teeny and perfect. I hope to see you at one of the bead functions soon. Maybe I'll have my very own s'elf made by then to show you. :grin:

What an awesome, funny tutorial! Thank you for sharing, and Marci for hosting.

:) Kelly

firelady
2009-07-05, 12:53pm
You're welcome. I loved the S'elfs and Sue's commentary. I really would like to do more of these!

Meanwhile, I just released a new podcast Friday night: Roger Parramore is the featured artist, discussing flameworking in Japan, as well as how Japanese culture influenced his work. Pretty interesting guy.

The subject matter is about as different from this one as could be!

If you want to see it, just go to:
www.fireladyproductions.com
Click "Podcasts".

Here's a picture of Roger's Japanese inspired work.
It's called the Relationship Series:
And here he is at work. Can you say "big!"

Oh, and I'll be running a booth at the Gathering. Would love to meet you all!!

Soupy
2009-07-17, 11:14am
Oh my gosh! His stuff is so awesome. And big!

Carols Glass
2009-07-19, 9:18am
Some of the s'elfs would not look at the camera or say cheese for me as you will see :-).

Soupy
2009-07-19, 9:42am
Boy, Carol, you have been busy! Those look so great!
And yes, sometimes they CAN be a bit shy about smiling for the camera. :)

Carols Glass
2009-07-19, 9:59am
Boy, Carol, you have been busy! Those look so great!
And yes, sometimes they CAN be a bit shy about smiling for the camera. :)

Thanks, Sue, I think I even made enough to keep one for my s'elf, lol.

Soupy
2009-07-19, 11:02am
That is great! I still don't have one of my own.

DayDream Beads
2009-07-19, 5:27pm
Carol, they are so cute, I agree, you have been busy. I really do love them.

Carols Glass
2009-07-19, 7:58pm
Thank you Diane. One of them didn't make the grade as it had cracks on the feet, and the flowers were melted in too much. Oh well, I put all the cute little rejects down by my torch to keep me smiling while I make more. :-)

Carols Glass
2009-07-20, 8:06am
My sisters' packages are ready to go to the post office today with this note inside each of them:

About Your S’elf

This S’elf is a gift to you to love, honor and cherish.
Please love your S’elf.
Though not perfect, it is ok to love your S’elf
(With all of your S’elfs’ little quirks and imperfections)
Most of all, please take care
Of your S’elf
Pamper your S’elf
Take your S’elf wherever you go
Because wherever you go
Your S’elf is there.

Love,
Carol

This S’elf was made with a free tutorial by Suzie Fitzwater and I give her all the credit for creating this idea.

Carols Glass
2009-07-22, 10:36am
I am trying to make a S'elf for my brother.

It's ok to have flowers on a guy's S'elf, right?

Here he is:

Soupy
2009-07-22, 1:43pm
I am trying to make a S'elf for my brother.

It's ok to have flowers on a guy's S'elf, right?

Here he is:

Absolutely!
He turned out cute!

Carols Glass
2009-07-22, 2:25pm
Thank you, Sue!

Carols Glass
2009-07-23, 11:02am
I made this angel last night using pretty much most of the techniques for the S'elf.

I've been crying ever since I saw a place on her ankle that looks like a bruise right where my sister broke her ankle and had pins and a frame on her leg and then restorative surgery years later which made her able to walk again. She was thrown off of a balcony onto a car by her husband and that is how she broke her ankle. Just one of many sad stories of her life.

Anyway, I know she is an angel now and here is My Lori Angel.

Soupy
2009-07-23, 12:59pm
Carol, she's wonderful! She has such a sweet face!

Carols Glass
2009-07-23, 1:40pm
Thank you, Sue!

That's how Lori was, always smiling!

Listenup
2015-11-21, 8:02pm
Bump