Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Help identifying glass rod

amm1majus
2009-06-14, 5:59pm
I got a bunch of glass shorts and one of them seems to be one of the special silver glasses. It is opaque, looks almost black, but in the light you can just about see it is a dark blue. The heated tip looks slate blue and I get blues and greens from it when I use it.

I've got soem beads in the kiln right now and will post pics tomorrow, but does this ring any bells with anyone? I'd love to get more, once I know what it is! :)

Thanks!

Forgot to say it is soft glass, most likely 104.

NLC Beads
2009-06-14, 8:20pm
Nyx is my first guess, but I have a limited palette of silver glass to choose from, so I could be wrong - almost navy blue when it's pulled out?

lunamoonshadow
2009-06-14, 8:46pm
mmm...ask this same question in the silver-exchange 5 thread....Hayley will likely know! Actually, @ the beginning of every silver-bead exchange (in the patio) is a set of posts where Hayley lists the glasses (& there's often photos) & how to work them & what they look like & a bunch of other fantastic info....I've learned soooooo much from those threads...I only played in "round 3", but I've READ all of the exchanges, just for the "learning experience" in them!

(Nyx starts dark, gets lighter in the kiln, I don't know if it goes green though...If I had to guess, I'd say it's one of the many R4 glasses....which one, beats me!)

J&M
2009-06-14, 10:18pm
Maybe "Black Pearl" or "Picasso"??

Jack

Elizabeth Beads
2009-06-15, 6:41am
Black Pearl is a good guess. I thought of Picasso, but it's clearly a dark blue not black. Kandinsky is almost black but it boils and is fussy to work. I think Matisse and Cezanne are dark dark blue too. Another thought - Effetre Metallic Black?

JavaGirlBT
2009-06-15, 7:36am
I think Nyx, too.

MelanieG
2009-06-15, 12:18pm
It could also be Cezanne.

amm1majus
2009-06-15, 2:24pm
Well, I got my beads out of the kiln. I was so afraid to use this glass up that I only used it sparingly here and there, so I don't think pictures are going to help!

I think my only hope is to make a bead out of the 3 inches that are left and then see if anyone can help me identify it!

Thanks so much for all your input so far!

Firebrand Beads
2009-06-15, 5:26pm
AnnMarie - if you thin it a little and it is a purple-ish cobalt, it could be Cezanne. But I always see a bit of color through the Cezanne rods, if I hold them to the light. If it is hard to get light through it, I'd guess Nyx?

Carolyn M
2009-06-15, 7:45pm
I'm confused, its it opaque or transparent? All my Nyx is transparent - dark, but definitely transparent!

J&M
2009-06-15, 9:29pm
I'm sticking with Black Pearl or Picasso.

Jack

amm1majus
2009-06-16, 6:11am
Definitely opaque! Hopefully I will get something to show you that will give you more information to go on.

Thank you SO much!