Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Rubber Band Alternative?

Elizabeth Beads
2009-06-27, 9:26am
Does anyone know if there are "rubber bands" that are made of a material that doesn't harden and distintegrate? Of necessaity my studio is in our garage and the summer heat turns rubber bands into rock solid residue of my cane. I keep much of my cane unbanded in bins but sometimes I have a need to keep colors bundled. Thanks!

yeepers
2009-06-27, 9:44am
I use the "ouchless" ponytail holders. There are no metal crimps and are wrapped so there's no actual rubber touching the glass. Haven't had any problems with those :)

jamie lynne
2009-06-27, 9:48am
ditto on the hair bands.

lunamoonshadow
2009-06-27, 9:59am
I buy loads of hairbands too...the ones made of "terrycloth" (like little sock fuzzys) will last the longest....try the dollar store, sometimes you can find a bucket of them really cheap!

GinnyHampton
2009-06-27, 10:58am
Another vote for the ponytail holders, they're awesome!!

elle
2009-06-27, 11:38am
WOW! I have the same problem, but I never would have thought of ponytail holders. Maybe I should check the dollar store, they're about $3 a bag at Target. With as much glass as I have, I'd go broke.

Thanks for the great info! :)

bead crazy
2009-06-27, 2:15pm
I use rubber bands that are a non latex type they come in a package for .99 and there are different sizes some are super small.

Renee
2009-06-27, 3:41pm
I haven't tried it, but what about twist-ties - the wire that's coated with paper or vinyl? Just thinkin' out loud.

Teri.p
2009-06-27, 4:43pm
ponytail holders - you guys are brilliant!

Elizabeth Beads
2009-06-27, 5:33pm
Thanks!!! I went out today and the pony tail holders were on sale at Ulta for $1.49 for 40. I had a $3.50 off $10 coupon, so I got almost 300 of them for $6.50 plus tax - woohoo! Great idea! :) Liz

elle
2009-06-28, 10:18am
I haven't tried it, but what about twist-ties - the wire that's coated with paper or vinyl? Just thinkin' out loud.

I've tried those before. I thought it was a pretty brilliant idea too, until I put it into action. Problem is, you have to get them really tight to keep the rods from slipping out the ends, so tight that it's hard to pull them out when you need them, especially if you're in a hurry. And with every rod you pull out, you have to tighten and readjust. They aren't tacky or flexible like rubber bands, so they're more likely to just slip off of the bundle if there's any wiggle room at all. I ended up with two drawers full of disorganized boro rods because of twist-ties. Now, if you're super vigilant about tightening them, you'll probably do okay. But for an untidy procrastinator like me, rubber band type things are the only way to go. :)

menty666
2009-06-28, 10:27am
Saran wrap

NLC Beads
2009-06-28, 3:11pm
I've used plastic zip-ties as well...

Keoki
2009-06-28, 7:11pm
Office Depot and Staples sells plastic "rubberbands" that don't deteriorate and they are pretty bright colors too. I use them on all of my rods.

neagle
2009-06-30, 11:18am
Press-n-Seal. Like Saran Wrap, but it actually sticks to itself.

ginko
2009-06-30, 11:25am
What a good idea on the pony tail holders. I use Press-n-seal and cover most of the glass--seems to keep the stored glass cleaner.

Elizabeth Beads
2009-06-30, 9:08pm
So, who knew that 300 ponytail elastics wouldn't be enough .. I definitely have too much glass ... no wait, there's no such thing as too much glass ... I better get more ponytail elastics ... :)

gallerygal
2009-07-01, 3:30am
You only need to start worrying when you have too many ponytail elastics :D

Elizabeth Beads
2009-07-01, 5:27am
Hmm ... I just ordered 500 more ... should I start worrying? Or just buy more glass - lol!

Crazy Woman
2009-07-01, 2:42pm
I've found that eventually the pony tail elastics loose their oomph too and are just plain stretched out. Still looking for another alternative..... Maybe more glass to completely fill all the holes and then I don't have to worry about the rods slipping around... lol...

parisgal
2009-07-01, 3:11pm
Yes, if you have empty slots you need to buy more glass. Or at least it has tendency to work that way here...

FosterFire
2009-07-02, 7:40pm
You can buy those thingies like Frantz and Arrow Springs use at shows to bundle your glass with plastic wrap. I have seen them at office supply places and Home Depot.

nitefire
2009-07-02, 9:37pm
I use long narrow plastic bags to put my rods in. I like to keep the dust of them, and i can fold the open end under the rods. I work in the garage so it is very dirty. If i need to use any kind of rubber band, i put it on the out side of the bag. If i have just a few rods left in the bag, i wrap the bag around the rods and put it back in my plastic storage cubbies.
Elaine

gallerygal
2009-07-02, 10:36pm
Hmm ... I just ordered 500 more ... should I start worrying? Or just buy more glass - lol!

Oh definitely just buy more glass - no question about it!!

And on a less serious note, I use those fencing posts that have the three divisions in them. They store just on a pound of glass in each.

I can't use rubber bands either as the heat and humidity here in summer just rots them. I haven't found a suitable alternative, so I just buy more sections of fencing (because I can't stop buying more glass now, can I?? .... :biggrin: )

Marianne.

simvet02
2009-07-03, 3:50am
Truly, the pony tail holders is a super idea. Off to Walgreens to get a ton of them. I bet the rods come out of the bundle a lot easier too. Man, you guys rock!

simvet02
2009-07-03, 3:51am
Oh definitely just buy more glass - no question about it!!

And on a less serious note, I use those fencing posts that have the three divisions in them. They store just on a pound of glass in each.

I can't use rubber bands either as the heat and humidity here in summer just rots them. I haven't found a suitable alternative, so I just buy more sections of fencing (because I can't stop buying more glass now, can I?? .... :biggrin: )

Marianne.

I have been to both of our local Home Depots and Lowes and neither one of them have the fence posts. I use the round PVC pipe, I loose a lot a space that way but it's what I can get.

Joyce T
2009-07-03, 6:00am
Don't know if you have a Princess Auto where you are, but sometimes they have rod holders for welding rods on sale -- the small ones for under a dollar, the large ones for about five. The small ones are rectangular black hard plastic, and both the top and bottom of the holder can be used (the bottom is about 10 inches long, and the top about 6 inches, but put together they are a bit short to carry rods) -- so you end up getting storage for about 50 cents -- and the tops are great for storing partly-used rods. They look a lot like Marianne's set-up (just stand them up or lay them sideways in a box). The large one is round, and also has a lid, is a bit longer and can store full rods with the top on -- it's great portable storage -- and they come in different colors (our store had them in turquoise or dark sky blue). If you don't have a Princess Auto, try any shop that sells welding supplies.

I haven't looked for more since I outfitted my space -- my husband had me convinced I had a terrible glass habit and now have enough -- that is, until I saw your photo of your storage, Marianne -- so, where do you buy those fencing posts? (I think I need to get me some!)

GlassPuppy
2009-07-04, 7:04am
I've been using Velcro tie strips - the kind used to secure wiring, with the slot on the end. They are durable, relatively cheap, and quick to wrap and unwrap. You do have to pull them tight to be sure the glass doesn't slide out of a larger bundle.

LavenderCreek
2009-07-04, 9:35am
Wow, hair bands, why the heck didn't I think of that! This is something that has bugged me for years! I tried saran wrap but it annoys me too. Wow, no more scrapping rubber band goo off my glass!

Shrimp
2010-04-03, 12:51pm
:happy: I found some yesterday at Wal-mart! Paid $3.50 for 250 assorted sizes. It comes with some really little ones like people use for braces. These would work well for identifying special rods.

Ali Oops
2010-04-04, 2:25pm
I vote for the pony tail bands too...got about 300 for 1.00 at the dollar store. Took a few stops to different dollar stores but I finally found a store that carried them... I read about it last summer sometime in a post here on LE. It's great for color coding also as there are so many colors.
LE'rs ROCK!!

Shrimp
2010-04-04, 4:03pm
Ali, Which dollar store were you able to find them in?