Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Orrbs vs. Lentil Stamp

maddog1050
2006-02-06, 10:05am
Hi, I have many lentil stamps but don't always like the dimpled ends. Corina has an Orrbs stamp which supposedly is easier to use and has no end dimples. I like the way the bead looks on her website but of course, she is much better than I with presses. Before I buy another press-I have a ton of them now-I'd love some feedback from anyone who has used the Orrbs. Thanks.

weegems
2006-02-06, 10:22am
I love the Orbbs! It is really user friendly and I am having a blast with the shape. Here are some examples.

http://www.oniva.com/upload/111/Roses_for_Rosie_small.jpg

http://www.oniva.com/upload/111/AmberRoseBloomscloseup.jpg

maddog1050
2006-02-06, 10:33am
Thanks Kari for such a quick reply. Your beads are beautiful and I do like their shape better than lentils. I'm just not one of those people who can coax out neat bead ends. So any tool that helps is something I'm interested in.

taneres
2006-02-06, 12:48pm
I love the orrb (or spree as I call it) alot! You don't have to worry about the dimples at the holes as long as you can make a more rounded than a donut shape bead. In order to get the glass all way to both sides, it can't be a typical donut shape. Has to be more rounded....once you figure out that part, you can't go wrong.
I was surprised by how the small amount of glass I had to add to use the next size up. (for the one with 3 different sized....I don't have the one with one size, three widths.)

Here are some I have made.
The smallest size:
http://www.serenasbeadery.com/ProdImages/spacerspree.jpg

And the middle size:
http://serenasbeadery.com/images/EBAY/wildberryb.jpg

I think this one is my favorite right now.

Serena

Flamechick
2006-02-06, 12:52pm
Those Orrbs beads are cool! Egads, another tool to buy! :grin:

VickieLee
2006-02-06, 12:57pm
I've been looking at the Orrb shape myself. Not sure whether to get the three sizes with one thickness or the one size with different thickness? What sizes do most folks use for Orrb or even for a lentil ???

Vickie

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2006-02-06, 2:15pm
I love the orrb (or spree as I call it) alot! You don't have to worry about the dimples at the holes as long as you can make a more rounded than a donut shape bead. In order to get the glass all way to both sides, it can't be a typical donut shape. Has to be more rounded....once you figure out that part, you can't go wrong.
I was surprised by how the small amount of glass I had to add to use the next size up. (for the one with 3 different sized....I don't have the one with one size, three widths.)

Here are some I have made.
The smallest size:

And the middle size:

I think this one is my favorite right now.

Serena

You're the spree shape I liked on eBay - COOL. Question: what sizes are the two you are showing?

O yeah - has anyone used these AND the Kai shapers - someone suggested them as well.

thank you!

Martha

taneres
2006-02-06, 4:47pm
Hi Martha,
Yes, I am the spreer! :) The black one is the smallest size and bluer ones are the medium. I was surprised how thick the smaller one is. I think they are all actually the same thinkness, but also have the same slope so, therefore, the smaller one is thicker at the edges than the medium and larger sized ones. The largest size has just a very small edge and so far has been the hardest size for me to get right...ie: getting the right amount of glass to fill the mold, but not go over. Probably more of a mental thing.
I asked about some custom sizes and they are going to make some for me...I just need to get the money to them.

Haven't tried a Kai shaper...last I looked they he just sold the lentils. Is he doing other shapes as well now?

Serena

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2006-02-06, 5:20pm
I think it's just lentils but I was told that the way those shapers work you don't get the indentations like other lentils.

so how thick are they?? I prefer 5/64" mandrels.

:???:

Martha

moondanse
2006-02-06, 5:25pm
I prefer 5/64" mandrels.

Martha

Hey, another person who uses 5/64ths mandrels! Don't you just love that size? I've been using them almost a year and have only had to throw 2 or 3 away.

Now. back to orrbs and lentils.... :wave:

taneres
2006-02-06, 5:47pm
They are a good 6 mm thick, so I would think you would have no troubles with the 5/64ths. The biggest size might the one in question, but I am sure the smaller two would be fine.

I keep meaning to get some of that size to try and just haven't got around to it.

AnnieQ
2006-02-06, 6:43pm
I wish you people would quit showing all those gorgeous beads....sheesh....makes me wanna buy another press...but I ain't gonna, nope, ain't gonna!!!! :-\"

Annie :cool:

PaulaD
2006-02-06, 6:46pm
I am not buying anymore tools. I am not buying anymore tools...
Paula

Rebekah
2006-02-06, 6:48pm
I am not buying anymore tools. I am not buying anymore tools...
Paula

LOL Miss Tool Store herself! You're one lucky chick, Paula.

Rebekah

judy
2006-02-06, 6:48pm
I love my lentil shapes. I use them a lot. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. But, I don't have an orb. Now, I think I need one! As for the dimpled ends on my lentils, I just fill them in with a little round silver bead and bead on.

Carolyn M
2006-02-06, 7:40pm
I'm a bit confused. I have an orbs trio which are all the same diameter, but different thicknesses. Is that the same one as everyone elses.
I'm still not entirely sure I love this press more than my lentils. I'm not quite used to it yet, and am still getting some dimpling on the ends, as you can see from this set. I'm also getting some dimpling on my pillows, does anyone know a fail safe method to produce this shape?

ocdlampwork
2006-02-06, 7:45pm
I got the impression from Corina's example beads that the orrb was similar to the lentil but from the pics. I get the impression the orrb is similar to the tab without the distinct edges. Maybe more like the pastille without the dip in the center? Hmmm. I love the lentil and really don't care for the tab because the glass amount needs to be perfect or else they have the distinctive pressed look with seams. The pastille is nice but my mold is for the larger ones and they take a ton of glass. Decisions. Decisions. Maybe I'll go back to my puffy pillow idea.:smile:

Tracey

ocdlampwork
2006-02-06, 7:47pm
I'm a bit confused. I have an orbs trio which are all the same diameter, but different thicknesses. Is that the same one as everyone elses.
I'm still not entirely sure I love this press more than my lentils. I'm not quite used to it yet, and am still getting some dimpling on the ends, as you can see from this set. I'm also getting some dimpling on my pillows, does anyone know a fail safe method to produce this shape?

Let the glass cool a bit before pressing. I've had the best luck with the pillow press by pressing each bead twice. After first press melt in all areas that "spilled over" then press again and they usually turn out nicely.

Tracey

taneres
2006-02-06, 9:03pm
Carolyn, The press I have is three different diameters, so it is different than the one you have.

And I would say that the Orrb is to a lentil as a puffy pillow is to a pillow shape. Does that make sense? It would be like a lentil with sides (and less of a domed shape).

KCDesigns
2006-02-07, 10:08am
I love the Orrbs, or also called the Saucer, I don't have Corina's press I have David Anderson's ( CoonVallyB@aol.com or http://cgi.ebay.com/Lampworkbead-Press-15mm-Oval-Lentil-8mm-thk-1-16mandrel_W0QQitemZ5083948693QQcategoryZ67711QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )
I love using the pin presses. He will also CUSTOM make any size...a big plus in my book.

He's great to work with very accommodating.