Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Lampworking with enamels: Properties & Safety

JCHerrellGlass
2009-09-28, 8:43am
Margaret Zinser and I recently put together a suit of 7 tutorials we call the Excellent Enamel Adventure Package. We've talked about it and decided that we want to make the Property and Safety section available to everyone to ensure you have the chance to feel comfortable and be safe with enamels, no matter your adventure. So here's a link to a PDF file with this section of our tutorial:
Enamel Properties & Safety (http://www.jcherrell.com/MZJCPropertiesandSafety.pdf)

Enjoy!

karrina
2009-09-28, 5:39pm
Thanks JC for posting~ everyone who works with enamels, please read!!! Her tutorial is awesome too! =D>

dpglassworks
2009-09-28, 5:51pm
How sweet........Thanks!!!!!!!!

GlassGalore
2009-09-28, 5:59pm
Thanks! That's some great info and I appreciate you making it available to everyone! :love:

volkanokaren
2009-09-28, 9:47pm
Great piece of info ,thanks so much.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

barbaracollins
2009-09-29, 4:01am
JC, You and Margaret are wonderful!!

Olimpia
2009-09-29, 5:30am
JC, can I just mention your "Lets Trade" is the coolest idea I've seen in a long time! I love it!
And of course, thank you for sharing freely the safety and properties of working with enamels, yet another cool thing to do!

I just wanna hug cool people all day...!!

My beads are usually very deeply encased in clear, just my thing, nothing new, but I was wondering if enamels are happy being encased? I'd love to buy your tuts but I'd like to see if I can use them.

Thank you!

swamper
2009-09-29, 6:35am
JC,

I visited Thompson Enamels for a basic enameling class on Sept 19th. I mentioned to Mr. Carpenter that you had a new tut out and he seemed really interested - you should contact him.

Mr. Carpenter was a lovely man (gave part of the class - seemed really spry for his age of 90+ and was extremely proud of his company).

One of the things he said was that he had worked with enamels for 70+ years and had no health problems related to breathing enamels.

I thoroughly enjoyed my tour of the factory and the Enamel Museum on the premises.

I plan to get your tut when I get some money.

Linda

JCHerrellGlass
2009-09-29, 6:17pm
Awesome... glad the info is helpful!

thanks, Linda! Yes, I will contact Thompson. And Mr. Carpenter and I have definitely had a conversation regarding safety precautions a year or two ago. I'm glad he's all good and healthy. Very glad!! We just have different opinions on safety for different reasons. Personally, I just can't not present the safety aspects. The reality is the dangers (or lack of them?) are NOT known. I figure it's best to present the info and let folks make their own choice. Information is power and I feel it would be irresponsible of me to not present it (in class, as part of a tutorial, randomly on the street or whispered in your ear). Mr. Carpenter seemed to understand why I do what I do.

Shrimp
2009-09-29, 6:55pm
"Excellent Enamel Adventure Package". Love the tutorial name JC! I have one of those big uncomfortable masks that is accurately rated, but doesn't quite fit my face. The one shown in the tut looks like a perfect alternative. Where did you find that one?