Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Gold Foil...

J&M
2010-01-12, 12:25am
I was gifted some gold leaf which I've never worked with before. Can I get some tips or tricks on how to work with it please? I really don't want to waste it! I've used plenty of silver foil and copper leaf... but not gold leaf. I've seen some very nice beads from a lot of you guys using this here on LE. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Starrr
2010-01-12, 1:20am
What I do is fold a sheet of printer paper in quarters and wet it down with a mist bottle until it's pretty wet, you can lay some tin foil under it to prevent a mess. Then I *carefully* flip a sheet of gold foil onto the wet paper, don't do this when your ventilation is on. Once the foil is adhered to the wet paper you can make your bead and roll it right on the damp foil that is still stuck to the printer paper. I mist between beads as the paper dries out fairly quickly, don't worry about the wet paper hurting your bead, it won't. When I'm done i just store the paper with the dried gold foil until I want to use it again, it will stay affixed without a problem. When you're ready to use the gold again, just mist the paper again and give it a minute to soak through all of the four quartered sheets of printer paper. I use this same sheet over and over again by just adding another sheet of gold foil when I need it.

J&M
2010-01-12, 1:39am
Great idea Starrr! Thank you for the input!!

Jack

Judith Billig
2010-01-12, 2:20am
I use folded paper towel, pour some water on it. This way gold leaf clings to the surface of the towel and doesn't float around in my studio :). Be careful when transfering from the booklet to the paper towel, else you'll have it sticking all over the tweezers or your fingers.

Then I just roll or tap the bead on top of the foil and it sticks. Short marvering and reheat in the flame (not too much or else it will start to burn off). Either leave it on the surface (it will not rub off if you marver & reheat) or encase in clear.

J&M
2010-01-12, 2:47am
Thanks Judith!

Jack

woodywood143
2010-01-12, 4:57am
Can this same technique be used with silver leaf (leaf not foil) everytime I try to use mine I end up burning it or if I encase it just turns to a black bubbled mess
Pete
aka worlds worst spelker

Elizabeth Beads
2010-01-12, 6:38am
A soaked section of newspaper would work too. Glassblowers use it all the time to hand shape their vessels.

I just got some Palladium leaf and that is what I plan to try.

Carolyn M
2010-01-12, 6:45am
Make sure you work cool, gold leaf burns off really easily!

Pete, I don't use silver leaf, I use foil it is much easier to work with. I'm not sure what you mean by burning it? You can burn silver leaf off, but it is still 'there' on the glass and can be made 'visible' again I do this by rolling it in the tip of my flame (I'm on a Cricket). You shouldn't end up with a black bubbly mess, are you sure you are using real silver? What are you using as a base glass?

cadia
2010-01-12, 7:19am
Carolyn~
Using the tip of the flame would be a high oxygen flame (?) to finish and bring the silver back up?
TIA!

J&M
2010-01-12, 10:11am
Make sure you work cool, gold leaf burns off really easily!

Thank you Carolyn.

Jack

woodywood143
2010-01-13, 5:03am
I got straightened out in a PM (thank you again) I been using the wrong stuff, silver leaf from hobby lobby duh. Ill try again when I get the right product. As far as glass I got no idea what Im using I have been buying mulitcolored sample packs 104coe to just to have some variation in glass color, none are marked :confused:

Pete
of course its not round, your looking at the wrong side of it

Mitosis Glass
2010-01-13, 7:45am
Great tips in this thread! Thanks everybody.

I bought some gold leaf and only used a bit of it once, due to the fact that it seemed to drift off the marver if I so much as looked at it sharply. The wet paper idea is brilliant!

neagle
2010-01-13, 9:39am
Thanks for posting the wet paper tip!!! I'm so tired of the gold flying away, and I do love the look, so now I can use it without tearing my hair out.

simvet02
2010-03-31, 7:08am
I'm reviving this thread because I've had the gold leaf forever and want to try using it. So, when you use the wet paper do you then cut the gold up or has it already been cut? I don't want to roll the whole bead in the stuff do I?

I guess I need to go someplace quiet and cut it up and then store it in something so that I can get out little snipits of it when I want to use it and THEN put it on the wet paper???

I really haven't a clue what to do with it. Maybe I just better put it away again until I know what to do with it.

Pat
2010-03-31, 12:52pm
You really can't cut that stuff. It sticks to everything even your hands. I put a sheet on a small graphite block you can wet a spot to hold it down. Then when I make the beads just take a bit with your tweezers or hold it down and roll the bead in a scrap of the gold. Burnish and continue. You can only use it in small gobs or pieces it's not like foil.

Karen Hardy
2010-03-31, 1:03pm
And make sure that you're not near an open window. Whoosh....

Starrr
2010-03-31, 1:25pm
I'm reviving this thread because I've had the gold leaf forever and want to try using it. So, when you use the wet paper do you then cut the gold up or has it already been cut? I don't want to roll the whole bead in the stuff do I?

I guess I need to go someplace quiet and cut it up and then store it in something so that I can get out little snipits of it when I want to use it and THEN put it on the wet paper???

I really haven't a clue what to do with it. Maybe I just better put it away again until I know what to do with it.

Fold your printer paper in quarters, wet the paper and put an entire sheet of the gold foil on the paper. It will stick even when it dries so you can just fold the paper over itself like a small book and store your gold right on the paper until next time. I just use the same sheet of paper over and over and add a new sheet of gold when necessary. I have a fine water mister that I use to lightly mist the sheet while I'm working because the heat from the bead will dry the paper out. You can use a piece of aluminum foil underneath the paper to help contain the moisture from the water mister.

simvet02
2010-03-31, 2:02pm
I get the wet paper part but I sure don't want to use all of it on one bead. So how does one cut it? Maybe between two pieces of paper?

Starr are you saying to just put the whole thing on there and roll the bit of bead you want covered over a spot of it and it will rip away?

Starrr
2010-03-31, 3:46pm
I get the wet paper part but I sure don't want to use all of it on one bead. So how does one cut it? Maybe between two pieces of paper?

Starr are you saying to just put the whole thing on there and roll the bit of bead you want covered over a spot of it and it will rip away?

Yes, you roll the hot bead on a section of the entire sheet of gold and the gold will stick to whatever part of the bead that you touch to the leaf. You can control how much or little you want on your bead without any wasted gold. The water keeps the paper from burning and when dry the leftover gold stays on the paper for next time. You'll be surprised at how long your gold will last, a little goes a long way. If you start cutting pieces of gold leaf you are going to waste most of it.