Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Lentil "Butts" -- please post pics!

Jammy
2010-05-02, 9:07pm
This subject has been brought up again and again on this and other forums.
There are people who can't stand "butts" on lentils and others who like them.
I've read the threads, but I haven't come across any pics on what an actual "butt" on a lentil looks like. I know what a lentil looks like, I make them all the time. They always turn out with little dips where the end holes are. I find them attractive, and also I would think this is what makes them lentils. With the right proportion and distribution of glass prior to pressing, I can also make the lentils without any dips. But I prefer the dips.

There is always the spree or button press which can be used instead of a lentil press if someone doesn't like "butts".

So, for everyone who doesn't like dips, or butts on lentils could you please post pics of lentils WITH butts on them , and ones WITHOUT butts on them.
In other words a photo of a lentil you find unacceptible and a photo of one you like.

I just wanted to have something to compare to, just to have an idea of how much "butt" is too much "butt". And if a little "butt" is ok. Sorry for typing "butt" 15,000 times in one post LOL!

SadiesJewels
2010-05-02, 9:09pm
I don't make straight lentils because of this and always make ssl to make sure the bead hole is what I want - sorry no pics of things I don't like!

Jammy
2010-05-02, 11:01pm
Sadiesjewels,
Could you post a pic of one of your SSL's? :)

SuzyQ
2010-05-03, 5:07am
They are not unacceptable. I don't like them, but that doesn't make them wrong. So if you like yours, why do you care?

Troll Lover
2010-05-03, 5:24am
I prefer to cap my lentils, I just think it's prettier. But hey, that's just my 0.02 :D.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4565596449_c218117527.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4562747866_e51e570fbf.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/4562747100_d783b932d1.jpg

Carolyn M
2010-05-03, 5:36am
Beautiful Anouk!

I love your new avatar, very pretty!

Lorraine Chandler
2010-05-03, 8:13am
I personally prefer slightly puckered ends but capped ends and just straight or smoothed flat are fine too as long as there are NO sharp ends and it is all smooth, balanced and looks like the person finished the bead so to speak.

Lorraine

2kids&atorch
2010-05-03, 9:39am
I usually heat the ends and flatten them with a marver...I guess its just personal preference! But I have also capped them like Anouk does...usually if I'm trying to cover up a mistake :)

flyingcorgi
2010-05-03, 10:22am
I do not like the "mousebite" look myself, but the alternative when making pressed lentils is to have flat ends with no dimples. It seems like many people consider this poor craftsmanship. I am really confused about what an acceptable hole on a large pressed lentil bead is, as I would hate to sell something considered poor form. Yet I have been spending a lot of glass and time making large lentils (1 1/4" to 1 1/2" diameter) that are really at a high risk of not having perfectly smooth, dimpled ends (but they're darned close!). Do I toss most of them out, or ... ? I don't want to turn out poor quality work, but I find no consensus of what that is.

Really looking forward to further discussion on this thread!

Regards,
- Becky in MN

woozles
2010-05-03, 10:26am
Anouk,

After you press the lentil, you add glass 'caps' to the ends??

bexrox
2010-05-03, 10:29am
Is this a butt?

SuzyQ
2010-05-03, 10:39am
Yup, look at those sexy little cheeks :)

SuzyQ
2010-05-03, 10:40am
Becky if the ends aren't sharp and you like the bead it's just fine.

bexrox
2010-05-03, 12:22pm
I guess I could use a little less cheek, but I prefer some roundness for sure. Anyway, doesn't really matter how I feel about it, I hope someone who goes to my Etsy likes this bead and likes butts!

Puddy Tat Glass
2010-05-03, 12:34pm
Well, guess I learned somethin' new today cuz I had never heard of lentil "butts" before. I make lentils with every focal and I'm sure I've made some, if not all, just like bexrox's photo. I don't have any on hand to share, but when I get back to makin' sets I'll have to pay more attention to this detail.

LisaF
2010-05-03, 1:05pm
Anouk -
I love the beads you make like this. They are amazing!!!
And I really like your new avatar too.

[http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4565596449_c218117527.jpg

houptdavid
2010-05-03, 1:24pm
So was Sir Mix-A-Lot singin about beads????

Troll Lover
2010-05-03, 1:54pm
Anouk,

After you press the lentil, you add glass 'caps' to the ends??

Yes I do :). I actually don't cover mistakes, I just prefer the look of capped ends on lentils, don't know why :D.

LisaF and Carolyn, thanks so much :love:. I have to thank my DH for the pic in the avatar, it's one of the few nice pictures I have of myself LOL.

Laura B
2010-05-03, 2:05pm
Well, guess I learned somethin' new today cuz I had never heard of lentil "butts" before...

Ditto.

And I agree that it's all about personal preference and NOT about what is "acceptable" and "not acceptable".

The beads shown here are lovely, but I guess I prefer butts to glass "caps". Perhaps that's because of the way I structure my jewelry designs. Shrug

Troll Lover
2010-05-03, 2:08pm
That's good to know Laura, I didn't look at it from a jewelry designers point :). Even if the glass "caps" have good dimpled ends (I think, for me personally that is, that it's very important to have no sharp ends)?

Laura B
2010-05-03, 2:25pm
That's good to know Laura, I didn't look at it from a jewelry designers point :). Even if the glass "caps" have good dimpled ends (I think, for me personally that is, that it's very important to have no sharp ends)?

I think you're right... sharp ends are harder to work with than most any shapes.

Elizabeth Beads
2010-05-03, 3:05pm
I vote for lentil butts, mouse bites, or whatever you want to call them. I like the way crystals nestle in them, or bead aligners. For similar reasons, I like donuts much better than rounds.

Laura B
2010-05-03, 3:29pm
I vote for lentil butts, mouse bites, or whatever you want to call them. I like the way crystals nestle in them, or bead aligners. For similar reasons, I like donuts much better than rounds.

Ooooh, I'm so in love with rounds right now (spherical).

But I totally agree about being able to put a 4mm bead into the ends of a lentil to stabilize it... it just ends up looking very natural.

Leslie Dana
2010-05-03, 8:10pm

Thats why I like butts too :)

gemsinbloom
2010-05-03, 8:43pm
I like big butts and I cannot lie!

RyanTheNumberImp
2010-05-03, 8:57pm
I personally don't like butts on lentils. IMO It just breaks the "perfectness" of the circle that a lentil is. That being said, I don't use a real lentil press, instead I have corrina's "orb" press which has the flatter edge. I prefer it to a lentil since it allows you to have a dimple without the butt.

On a real lentil it could go either way. I have found that with thicker mandrels not having a butt leaves the glass dangerously thin around the hole.

AKDesigns
2010-05-03, 11:10pm
I vote for lentil butts, mouse bites, or whatever you want to call them. I like the way crystals nestle in them, or bead aligners.

This is why I like them too but for 3mm round sterling silver beads.

I think I made this about four years ago (notice the stormed stringer :) ):

Moth
2010-05-04, 5:05am
From a design standpoint, the way I construct jewelry, I like the butts.

I like that I can nestle things into them.

But I am more an advocate of having choices with the lentils. I hope everyone who likes them all different ways still makes them that way. The bead BUYERS have just as many opinions as we do and some like butts, some like smooth.

If we all started making them one way, whose way would we pick?

None of us are 'right'. It is just personal preference.

The only wrong thing you could do is make the hole sharp. That is NEVER good craftsmanship.

Lisi
2010-05-05, 5:49am
I don't make lentils yet, but as a jewelry designer, I would like the butts.

krisdaka
2010-05-05, 6:13am
I personally don't like butts on lentils. IMO It just breaks the "perfectness" of the circle that a lentil is. That being said, I don't use a real lentil press, instead I have corrina's "orb" press which has the flatter edge. I prefer it to a lentil since it allows you to have a dimple without the butt.

What does this "orb" tool look like? pic please...

jamie lynne
2010-05-05, 6:59am
I have an orb press if anyone would like it, we don't get along. :)

krisdaka
2010-05-05, 7:14am
jamie lynne, do you have a pic?

cherylsart
2010-05-05, 8:18am
I'd like to see that too. I have a straight-sided lentil trio but I don't use it. I use my little Tapley tongs. I have the 5/8 inch one and as long as you get the right amount of glass and center it properly it makes nice little lentils.

jamie lynne
2010-05-05, 9:11am
I honestly don't know why it is called an orb, I bought mine in the GS here, it looks a lot like a straight sided lentil to me, but what do I know. :lol: I'll take a picture this afternoon. :) The cavities are on the smaller side.

jamie lynne
2010-05-05, 9:24am
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/tangledskyglass/img_4781.jpg

krisdaka
2010-05-05, 12:07pm
Thanks for the picture jamie. I was just curious.

KayG7
2010-05-05, 1:26pm
So are you giving this away or selling it? If it's free I'll take it!!!

(yes, I'm a beggar heheheh)

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/tangledskyglass/img_4781.jpg

Nitadee
2010-05-05, 1:37pm
I have the same press, only I have 4 sizes in mine. I can USUALLY make straight sided ends.
I, for some strange reason, don't mind a small "butt" on the thin sided lentils, but for the straight sided, as pictured above, I don't like it at ALL! LOL!
I will fuss and fuss with these lentils until they are juuuust right, and wouldn't you know it, I can't find a photo :wtf:
So, I guess my .02 worth is, Both :D
Nita

jamie lynne
2010-05-05, 2:07pm
Sold it shortly after posting it. Sorry. :)

So are you giving this away or selling it? If it's free I'll take it!!!

(yes, I'm a beggar heheheh)

Elizabeth Beads
2010-05-05, 3:07pm
I personally don't like butts on lentils. IMO It just breaks the "perfectness" of the circle that a lentil is....

Is a lentil truly a perfect circle?

http://eatlocal.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/lentils1.jpg

Ooh I think I see mouse bites.

LOL!

killerbeedz1
2010-05-06, 8:56pm
From a lampworking standpoint, I don't like them. To me I think they look flawed. If I designed with them, I would probably like the butts, because little beads would fit nicely next to them.

Gelly
2010-05-06, 9:49pm
Does anyone like them when they are butt chins??

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.140126484.jpg

Kalera
2010-05-06, 11:01pm
I like them either way, and make them both ways, depending on the design of the bead. As long as the bead is well-shaped overall, it doesn't matter to me.

Jenfire
2010-05-11, 3:06pm

Thank God someone else had that song immediately go thru their head! LOL
Jen

Firebrand Beads
2010-05-11, 7:42pm

I know!! I keep hearing that riff as I read this! :waving:

"like len-til BUTTS and I cannot lie....them other makers can deny.... but when the glass goes in with a little bitty spin and is out with cheeks de-vine I get SPRUNG!"

killerbeedz1
2010-05-11, 8:13pm
I love piggies with butts!!!

lunamoonshadow
2010-05-11, 9:30pm
I love them for designing--and for tucking fringe into....

Jammy
2010-05-14, 1:56pm
Is a lentil truly a perfect circle?

http://eatlocal.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/lentils1.jpg

Ooh I think I see mouse bites.

LOL!

Erose, you have a great point here!
That's why I love lentils, I like the "imperfectness" of the shape.
I also love perfect rounds, so for that we have thankfully the tab or button press! :)

Jammy
2010-05-14, 2:00pm
I know!! I keep hearing that riff as I read this! :waving:

"like len-til BUTTS and I cannot lie....them other makers can deny.... but when the glass goes in with a little bitty spin and is out with cheeks de-vine I get SPRUNG!"

LOL! I have never heard this song I swear.

Jammy
2010-05-14, 2:04pm
Soon after I posted this thread, my monitor went out and I coudn't get online.
But I love everyone's replies....and everyone of the lentil pictures posted on here are TDF, butts or no butts! Thanks everyone.
It would be interesting to keep the discussion going about lentil ends even though there are other threads discussing them. I love these threads.

BethMyers
2010-05-14, 2:50pm
I've enjoyed this thread, the butt thing caught my eye of course so I had to read, didn't know what that was. I've given this careful thought and I like them all. I think it depends on the design and use. I like the butt and the 'lip' or cap. They don't look machine made and too perfect. I love the true handmade look. Just reading through this thread, I found the beads so pretty, I didn't really care what the ends were like. Ones that look like puckered lips takes so getting used to, but I can see it.

BethMyers
2010-05-14, 2:52pm
I like them either way, and make them both ways, depending on the design of the bead. As long as the bead is well-shaped overall, it doesn't matter to me.

Well if I had read farther on down the thread I could have just agreed with Kalera. She said it better.

Jammy
2010-05-14, 6:21pm
I'm with Kalera too, I love them both ways.
I especially love them with caps like those Anouk posted.
I have seen them with a kind of rolled cap and I'd love to know how to do that. Let me see if I can explain what I mean. It's like caps on the ends (like Anouk's) but in the middle the cap kind of sags, or looks like it has been rolled down like a cowl neck sweater.
Does anyone know what I mean? I love that look!

SuzyQ
2010-05-14, 6:26pm
Yes, I think I know what you mean. Leave more space around the hole so when you apply the stringer to make your neck it is wider and droopier looking like a cowl.

Jammy
2010-05-14, 10:30pm
So I guess the stringer should be wide, and I should kind of gravitify it after applying it. I mean, let it "hang" so it droops down and kind of ROLLS over the end....

Oh and I forgot --- then MASH it downward instead of melting it further.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, LOL!