Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Can't reduce for beans!

Quicksilverart
2010-08-23, 10:25am
I just switched from my temp setup with the HotHead back to my Bobcat and find that I can't reduce Psyche or any other reducing glass for squat. Who would have ever thought I had so many things that I could do way better on the HH than I can with my Bobcat!? I turn my oxy down and my propane up and where I used to see Psyche bloom into shine, I now see diddlysquat. I put the bead waaaay out at the tip of the flame and also try up close and personal. Neither work. What am I doing wrong?
Help me Obi-Wan-Beadoli.....you're my only hope.:cry:

merigypsy
2010-08-23, 12:02pm
I can only sympathize! I am learning too but on a Linx.
Good luck. May you find rainbow colors!!!

Alex9
2010-08-23, 12:08pm
Try just turning down your oxygen...it could be that you're getting too much of a reduction flame by turning up your propane...

ginko
2010-08-23, 12:09pm
Try turning down the oxygen and holding the bead far out in the flame. GTT torches have a nice long work zone.

Quicksilverart
2010-08-23, 1:12pm
You guys are the BEST!!!!! Thanks so much. I'm going to try turning the oxy down. The whole flame chemistry thing appears to be eluding me.

ewdb
2010-08-23, 1:37pm
i had the same issue moving from a HH to a Mega Minor - took me months to figure out how to replicate specific reduction techniques for different glasses - my first few attempts just got the glass all sooty.

now i've found to replicate the HH reduction, i need to turn the oxy way down, turn up the propane and work further out - it's not exactly the same but close. Doesn't work for all glasses though, some just need a little bit less oxy or a bit less propane or to be right by the tip or the end of the flame in order to reduce... experimentation is the key.

Even though i couldn't go back to it now because of the speed issue, sometimes i still really miss my HH. :-(

Quicksilverart
2010-08-23, 2:29pm
I did it! Oh, I did it, I did it, I did it! Oh, happy day. Oh skippity, dancy, day.

Thank you guys SO much. I think Kim Kneely's Ether tutorial helped as well. She talks about flame chemistry and shows pictures. When the shiney little sparklers cool, I'll post pics.

Alex9
2010-08-23, 2:31pm
Yay! Of course...now we need pictures... ;)

Quicksilverart
2010-08-23, 2:34pm
Evelyn, I just read at the bottom of your post "R.I.P. Hot Head 6/2006-11/2008".
Had to laugh!

Merigypsy, I really DID find rainbow colors! And Alex9, you were right....I didn't need to turn up the propane, I just needed to turn down the oxy.

I'm going to go try all my silver glass and keep notes on the beads while it's fresh in my mind. I have a collection of DH glass going back to the very beginning that was waiting til I got my studio set up. I even have the old dark star and rhubarb!

Seasoned Soul
2010-08-23, 3:22pm
Yay! Of course...now we need pictures... ;)

okay with these specific instructions and in hopes that I, too, can have a ~~*skippity dancy day*~~, I'm going to head to the studio, brush the cob webs off the Psyche and get some color!!!!!! \\:D/

Kevan
2010-08-23, 4:13pm
Reducing is the easy one. Just turn down the oxy until you have an inch of yellow in the middle. Wave the bead around a few seconds, like 5 or 6, take it out and look at it. Do it again if you want to. Make sure you get it from all sides. Pop it in kiln. Easy peasy.

merigypsy
2010-08-23, 6:46pm
Congrats Carolyn!
Hey we are neighbors. PM where you are!