Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Can Graphite be Glued?

Elizabeth Beads
2010-12-06, 1:38pm
I dropped one of my beadrollers. the large tapered barrel trio, and it broke cleanly across the thinnest point in the middle of the barrel nearest the handle.

I assume I can glue it and use the other two barrels but I'd like to be able to use the broken one. Is there anything that will glue graphite that is strong enough to hold if I use the glued barrel?

Lea Zinke
2010-12-06, 1:41pm
Liz, go see Donna's thread -- she tells folks how to do it all the time.

HTH,
Lea

Elizabeth Beads
2010-12-06, 1:44pm
Thread here somewhere? Or her website? Thanks Lea.

bshelle
2010-12-06, 1:53pm
I used E6000 and it works fine. I tried to keep the glue off the part where hot glass touches, but got some on there. It smells something terrible when I do, just do what I didn't and try to keep the glue off the parts you use.

RuskinDesigns
2010-12-06, 2:02pm
I used crazy glue to glue mine back together when I dropped it on the floor - works like a champ.

ElementalsDesign
2010-12-06, 2:10pm
try using a piece of sheet metal and gluing both bottoms of the parts to the surface of the sheet metal (preferably cut to about the same size) ..that way you can keep the glue away from the broken cavity.

:waving:

~Rachel
P.S. My former boss, somewhat of an adhesives expert, suggests silicone based glue...

littlecrowartglass
2010-12-06, 2:35pm
so glad i found this ...i broke a graphite tool a while ago and have been holding on to the pieces...thank you for posting :)

ElementalsDesign
2010-12-06, 2:44pm
P.S. I like to use aluminum; it's light and strong and easy to cut with a hack saw.. but you can use whatever sheet metal you can lay your hands on.. (not like you'll be sticking it in a torch ;}

VivianLampwork
2010-12-06, 3:33pm
I tried E6000 glue on mine plus several other brands. Nothing worked on mine. When the graphite heated up, it slid apart at the crack. I ended up getting some foil tape at an automotive place & that has worked.

BellaBean
2010-12-06, 4:15pm
Superglue. It's been holding together one of mine for almost a year now.

Mitosis Glass
2010-12-06, 4:29pm
Rachel, I like the idea of using a metal sheet and gluing the parts to that. I bought some Loctite and I had to use it seven or eight times before it finally worked, and even then it didn't work for very long. I'll have to see about getting some sort of base for gluing the beadroller. Thanks!

LisaF
2010-12-06, 5:15pm
I'm so glad erose brought this up. I have a broken beadroller too. :-)

ElementalsDesign
2010-12-06, 6:30pm
Angie.. I'm happy to share.

It was my friend Ernie's idea; for me it was just one of those :d'oh: moment! :lol:

~Rachel

Jody Lee
2010-12-07, 5:40am
Not much of help here, but interesting anyway..
Aquadag can be used to mend scratches and pits on graphite tools.. It's basically liquid graphite; you brush it on thinly (several coats are sometimes needed), then dry it gently in the flame. A scientific glass worker I know fixed some of my tools - was way cool!

VivianLampwork
2010-12-07, 6:29am
Superglue. It's been holding together one of mine for almost a year now.

I also tried SuperGlue on mine & it didn't work. After the graphite heated up it came apart & the glue flaked off. I think it has something to do with where you place the glue & how hot the graphite gets in that area.

Pat
2010-12-07, 7:29am
I used a 2 part Weld glue that can tolerate the heat.

Art of Hand
2010-12-07, 11:10am
Kiln cement. It is used to glue bricks in a kiln together. The thread of my trusty marver became undone, and the handle started to spin around. I glued my handle and marver together about 3 years ago. It is still holding.

asimeral
2010-12-08, 9:23pm
My husband used JB Weld and also attached a sheetmetal backing to my Donut Bead Roller. I don't think it'll EVER break again! He volunteered to do all my other tools too, but I told him not to fix what ain't broke! ;-) Anyway, it works terrifically.