Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Rod warmer

LFCookie
2011-04-02, 9:01pm
I can't afford $190 for a real rod warmer. I have seen somewhere that someone used a Hot comb stove to pre warm their rods which are priced at $50 which I thought was a good price. I've tried a small George Forman grill but it burned up quickly. Good thing it was used from goodwill! anyone else have ideas? :smile:

Jennefer
2011-04-02, 9:36pm
I have a hot plate that I put a steel plate on to preheat my rods on.

Kevan
2011-04-02, 10:53pm
You can also sit them on top of your kiln. Costs nothing extra.

sansan239s
2011-04-02, 11:15pm
LFCookie... If you check out Devardi glass and see their rod warmers, I think you would be happy with it. I believe it is what you are looking for!!

http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm#PROFESSIONAL GLASS ROD WARMER

$32 seems like a pretty good deal to me, with only minor cosmetic defects. You should check it out........ it's next on my list.

cheng076
2011-04-02, 11:29pm
Gold-N-Hot or similar name. Works great, is enclosed, gets to about 950 degF, ceramic element (no shock risk), costs about $50, search for curling iron warmers.

Anne Ricketts
2011-04-03, 4:14am
This is what I have and it works great! Rod warmer (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Ceramic-Heater-Stove/SBS-566102,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair09-09)

neagle
2011-04-03, 7:05am
I have a hot plate that I put a steel plate on to preheat my rods on.

Ditto. I've had it for years, and it works great. It also has a heat control knob.

I found a tiny cast iron skillet, about 4" in diameter, which I put on the steel plate and in which I keep murrini and chunks of aventurine.

blr2449
2011-04-03, 7:21am
This is what I have and it works great! Rod warmer (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Ceramic-Heater-Stove/SBS-566102,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair09-09)

I have the same one and has worked great for several years now.

RSimmons
2011-04-03, 7:57am
This is what I've uses for the last 6 years. Costs about $50 and the rack is made from a BBQ grill part and some bent welding rod.

Robert

LFCookie
2011-04-03, 8:04am
Woo-Hoo! Thanks all!

2tumblingdragonz
2011-04-03, 8:50am
I have the devardi warmer, actually I have 2. The first one melted my rods, the second one Daniel sent me doesn't melt them as much. The softer rods do bend and they will fuse if touching.
I found having fewer rods in it at once works better, less heat being held by fewer rods, I suppose.
Someone suggested putting it on a dimmer.
I like what Robert did, using the bbq rack, I'm gonna do that with an old toaster oven rack as soon as I'm done typing this.
I'd go for the scarch n'dent and just know what you're dealing with.
I also shut it off intemittently, if I'm working for a long time, that way I control the heat.
They are a big help, esp. with those punky 1# cannisters. thing for me is, I always change my pallette and inevitably the rods I put in the warmer, other than clear, I hardly use. I need like a rod warming table!
I think they're worth it.

RSimmons
2011-04-03, 5:30pm
If you use a curling iron heater be sure to put some heavy metal screen or hardware cloth in the bottom to keep softer colors like white from sticking to the ceramic lining. If you look closely at mine you'll see a piece cut from a metal gutter guard on the bottom.

Robert

artsyuno
2011-04-04, 8:14pm
Amazon has a good price on the curling iron heater with free shipping. I have a piece of graphite in the bottom of mine to prevent sticking. If you leave the rods in for hours at a time, they may warp - this thing gets hot!

LFCookie
2011-04-04, 9:12pm
:) thanks for all the tips everyone!

BethMyers
2011-04-04, 10:02pm
Not any electric frying pans?

RSimmons
2011-04-05, 6:37am
Electric frying pans don't really get hot enough and you have the matter of the rim giving you contact with the hot surface at only one small point. The curling iron heaters allow you to pretty evenly bring up a couple of inches of glass to over 800 degrees and reduce thermal shocking.

Robert

betsymn
2011-04-05, 7:55am
I use a cheap hair straightener from Walmart with a rock on it to keep it partially shut. It keeps the rods warm, and it has a 2 hr. turn off switch, which is nice for those senior moments when I forget to unplug it.

BethMyers
2011-04-05, 10:25am
Electric frying pans don't really get hot enough and you have the matter of the rim giving you contact with the hot surface at only one small point. The curling iron heaters allow you to pretty evenly bring up a couple of inches of glass to over 800 degrees and reduce thermal shocking.

Robert

Excellent points.

CSimi115
2011-04-06, 4:02pm
I use Electric rollers. Took the rollers out and put in some fiber blanket.

shawnette
2011-04-06, 5:23pm
I have fiber blanket in mine to prevent the rods from sticking.

evvybuns
2011-04-06, 5:52pm
I turned my Holey Roller upside down and tucked it into my Gold 'n' Hot. The rods rest on it and not on the bottom of the unit.

Also set the Gold 'n' Hot on top of something that is heatproof, like a piece of cement board.

Fine Folly Glassworks
2011-04-07, 10:56am
Rod Warmers are also called Ceramic Heater Stoves, when used in hair care. You can do a search for the best prices using that name and get many. They run about $35 and up, and reach 800-900 degrees, so no Crock Pot or Grill can come close to what they do for your rods in preheating. You can see the jumbo rod in the picture for example. It will be easy to pull stringer from it after preheating.

I have a little plate on top of mine to set murrini on as well. I use one all the time, and have a medium-sized nut can from walmart turned upside down to hold the ends of my rods level. Can't get more frugal than that!

betsymn
2011-04-07, 2:13pm
You know, I might have to get one of those. I like the way you heat murrini on the top of it.

woozles
2011-04-07, 2:17pm
I had an old buffet server - flat glass that heats up to keep hot food hot. I use it and works great. But I had to learn not to put bags of murini on it - the plastic melted! At least I saved the murini.

Fine Folly Glassworks
2011-04-07, 4:45pm
You know, I might have to get one of those. I like the way you heat murrini on the top of it.

I'm on a Hothead, so I also set brass presses on top for a few minutes to warm them up for a better press. But only a few minutes... 900 degrees heats things up fast!

betsymn
2011-04-15, 4:34am
I bought the ceramic stove from Amazon, and I really like it!

I'm going to have to break one habit, though. For years, as a final step to remove any dust, I swipe clear rods under my arm. Just let me say that this stove heats the rods enough that it left streaks of my burned shirt to the rod. :)

Fine Folly Glassworks
2011-04-15, 6:10am

I'm going to have to break one habit, though. For years, as a final step to remove any dust, I swipe clear rods under my arm. Just let me say that this stove heats the rods enough that it left streaks of my burned shirt to the rod. :)

Yikes, that Rod Warmer reaches upwards of 900 degrees8-[ Imagine how hot a 500 degree oven is, and then double it :shock: No more swiping!

betsymn
2011-04-15, 1:18pm
:) Learned my lesson!

squid
2011-04-15, 1:40pm

:shock:

LoriB
2011-04-15, 1:44pm
I love my ceramic heater too—and just posted an article about it to my blog just before I saw this thread! LOL Here's the link, if anyone is interested:
http://loribergmann.blogspot.com/2011/04/friday-find-glass-rod-warmer.html

Sadie Mae
2011-04-15, 3:24pm
ah geez, not another useful tool I need...........!!

patienthand
2011-04-16, 6:48am
I got my gold n hot ceremic heater from amazon at far less that 50 bucks, and got free shipping to boot. what divardi is selling is a modified version of one..

Candice

steph1214
2011-04-16, 12:48pm

Ditto, I have the exact same one and it works awesome. One word of caution, mine fell and it stopped working and it did not fall but maybe two feet. I got another one and it will not fall again! It works great

BonEchoLampworks
2011-04-30, 7:54am
I've adapted a waffle iron into a mini kiln...I use another as a rod warmer, just slightly less insulated and with a steel plate lying in the bottom.
Here's an instructable on the mini kiln:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Waffle-Iron-Adapted-into-MIni-Kiln...or...The-Bava/

It has some directions on how to prep the iron for use. You can adapt it by adding a metal plate, and not bothering with all the insulatory steps. Super cheap, works great!

Janice