Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : soft glass rod sets?????

sangell
2011-04-14, 9:53am
I have worked only in Boro, and I am going to be doing some classes using 104 soft glass. In the past I have purchased a Northstar, and Tag rod sample kit. Do have this in soft glass and what would everyone recommend.

Thanks.

Robin Passovoy
2011-04-14, 10:09am
Just about any dealer in art glass these days has 104 COE assortments. Check out:
Delphiglass.com
Devardiglass.com
Morettiandmore.com
Frantzartglass.com

And that's just for starters. There's a whole bunch of folks on this very website who will happily sell you whatever you like. Happy shopping!

sangell
2011-04-14, 10:33am
Don you have a preference for a beginner?

sangell
2011-04-15, 5:16am
Bumping up to hope to get some more help. What set would everyone recommend, and there sales on a regular basis.......

Mitosis Glass
2011-04-15, 5:56am
What I would recommend is a selection of Moretti regular colours which are always fairly inexpensive:

Super Clear
Pale Aqua Transparent
any Emerald Green Trans.
Grass Green Trans.
Medium Purple Trans.
Medium Topaz

White
Ivory
Black (regular, not intense)
Aqua Pastel
Lapis, any shade (a darker blue)
Grasshopper green
Mosaic Green
Violet Light
Yellow
Orange
Red
Light Pink if you like pink

You should be able to get a good start with those. They're all in regular production and inexpensive, as opposed to the "special" or "odd lot" or handpulled ones.

If you go to Howaco, she lets you buy by the rod and she'll also sell you starter packs of any glass that are hand-picked by her, or you can send her this list and have her either improve on it or add to it. She's top notch for service and shipping. She's at http://www.howacoglass.com

Good luck! Also, I love your beads in your photos. Gorgeous!

Mitosis Glass
2011-04-15, 6:10am
Oh, and I would also stay away from opalinos and alabastros right away, as they can sometimes be a bit difficult to work due to their viscosity and sometimes their tendency to be shocky.

Filigranas are nice to look at but pricey for practice glass.

254 purple (what everyone here calls EDP), Calico and Sedona all tend to devitrify and will drive you crazy until you get used to 104 in general.

I think that's it for now!

sangell
2011-04-15, 8:25am
That is exactly what I am looking for.
Thank you again

Sue and Bootsie

Oh, and I would also stay away from opalinos and alabastros right away, as they can sometimes be a bit difficult to work due to their viscosity and sometimes their tendency to be shocky.

Filigranas are nice to look at but pricey for practice glass.

254 purple (what everyone here calls EDP), Calico and Sedona all tend to devitrify and will drive you crazy until you get used to 104 in general.

I think that's it for now!

Mitosis Glass
2011-04-15, 8:35am
You're most welcome!