Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Long Beads

evenia
2006-04-25, 8:15am
Hey guys! Lately I have been making some long beads between 2 and 3 inches long. I have problems with most of them. I use Bucket-O-Mud and I swore by it till these long beads. I cant get them off. It's the ends because when I do get them off or if I really mess with them, the ends crack off. I usually roll them in powdered frit of some sort and some of that sticks to the mandrel right at the ends of the mandrel. The ones that I can get off are super hard to get off. Should I use a different bead release? More than an inch and these things stick. In fact now that I think about it, I had 4 beads made by others at my bead jam that I couldn't get off either and they were about an inch and a half long....hmmmmmmm....anyone out there use B-O-M for long beads? What do you guys like for long beads. I am really disapointed because otherwise I have never ever lost a bead with B-O-M.

Solana
2006-04-25, 8:24am
Hi Julie! :waving:

What size mandrel are you using? When I make long beads, I typically use a larger mandrel (3/32" or larger) which makes it much easier to get those long beads off. Plus, it's harder to bend the mandrel.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but are your ends puckered on your long beads? If not, that also makes it hard to remove them from the mandrel without cracking.

Regarding BOM...I don't use it, but rather Sludge Plus, and I rarely have issues losing long beads. Does the olive oil not work with longer beads?

Good luck!

rainygrrl
2006-04-25, 8:31am
BOM has been working fine for me for 2-3 inch beads, so I think it's something else. If you marver the ends, you might be using too much force and breaking the bead release underneath. I know that's happened to me.

Rebekah
2006-04-25, 8:45am
And a pair of vice grips. You're not trying to save the mandrel. If you can't get the one I made for you off, I'll make you another one.

Bek

evenia
2006-04-25, 8:47am
My ends aren't puckered...I uses the big mandrels, vice grips and olive oil. I will try the puckering of the ends!
Thanks guys!!!!!!

alexm
2006-04-25, 8:49am
Make sure that the mandrel you use is perfectly straight before you wind on a long bead. Even slightly bent mandrels will make removing a long bead very difficult. For long beads I like a bead release that releases easily, like Alice's. Stay away from Fusion for long beads. Make sure your bead release is not too thin for long beads. I find that is the only time that thicker is better.

evenia
2006-04-25, 8:49am
And a pair of vice grips. You're not trying to save the mandrel. If you can't get the one I made for you off, I'll make you another one.

Bek
Where is my new black bracelet you were gonna make me? And all the other goodies you promised? WAHHHHHHHH It's time to call the wahhhhhmbulance!
Just kiding, I know you have been slammed. smoochie booches!

Rebekah
2006-04-25, 8:52am
Snooch to the nooch. Vandy's making me work and I've been diamond shopping. Now leave me alone while I go wipe my bottom with silk.

:lol:

Renee
2006-04-25, 8:58am
What's the deal with the olive oil?

evenia
2006-04-25, 9:21am
Snooch to the nooch. Vandy's making me work and I've been diamond shopping. Now leave me alone while I go wipe my bottom with silk.

:lol:
but i wuv ew and don't want to leave you alone...ferris, your my herwo!

evenia
2006-04-25, 9:23am
What's the deal with the olive oil?
If I am having trouble getting a bead off I soak it in olive oil, sometimes a few minutes does it, sometimes over night or a day.
Usually gets those stubborn ones off.

Cosmo
2006-04-25, 9:32am
I have noticed that a thicker layer of bead release works better for me. I generally use 3/32" mandrels, but for a really long bead, I'll use a 1/16" mandrel, and double dip it. When it's done, the thicker layer of bead release will disintegrate when I take it off, and give more room inside the hole to take the mandrel out.