Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Really Great Hot Fingers?

Signguy
2011-10-28, 3:54pm
I totally recall seeing a post (I think on LE but might have been elsewhere) where people were talking about better quality hot finger tools for marbles, and there was a link or comment about one that is custom made, all brass and that addresses some of the insufficiencies of the other ones out there. As I recall they were a bit pricy ($75) but looked really great, and was being hand made by an artisan, not a mass produced tool.

Of course, now that i am shopping for them I can't find them!

I have spent an hour searching on every keyword I can think of...and no joy?

Does anyone else remember seeing this, or know where to get a really top notch tool? I've checked out all the main suppliers and they pretty much all sell the same standard choices.

Thanks!

Erik

Three Muses Glass
2011-10-28, 5:15pm
All I can think of is Herbert Arnold tools but they're a lot more than $75.

cheng076
2011-10-28, 8:16pm
I have tried hot fingers on marbles but didn't care for them. I use a home made tool as described in Drew Fritts book. Works very very well and only cost about $1.00 plus 10 minutes time.

Signguy
2011-10-28, 8:48pm
If anyone else is interested I finally found the post I had seen - it was on The Melting Pot. They do look pretty nice and I just PMd for more info. Here is the thread if you want to take a look. I'd also love to know what others think of these...

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40675

Thanks!

Erik

Signguy
2011-10-28, 8:50pm
I'm in the process of making some of his grabbers this weekend. I agree that they look like a good easy solution. However, several people I have talked with have had issues with marks from the loops and suggested grabbers work better. Guess I'll have to try both and see for myself (smile).

Dragonharper
2011-10-29, 3:38am
I just use the mold I used to make it. Don't use a cold one, you'll crack your marble. When I get to the point where I'm removing the punty for the last time, I let the marble cool, no glow from inside, view the marble from some deep shadows. I knock off the marble into the mold, and position the punty mark at about 11 O'clock. Then I adjust my torch to a fine needle point flame and fire polish the punty scar. Wat for all the glow to go out of the marble and then drop into the kiln.