Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Newbie question:Possible starter kiln?

Sorriso
2011-12-12, 11:47am
Hello! I've been reading through these forums for awhile but this is my first post.

I am not a bead maker, but I am trying to help my daughter (adult) set up her first lampwork studio. She's new to the art and for considerations of available space and economy she is starting out as small and low cost as possible. So she's got a Hothead torch and sturdy safe workspace in a corner of my painting studio, but no kiln.

A jewelry artisan friend sent us the link below for a tiny, very low cost kiln that is designed for PMC and glass fusing (Speedfire Electric Mini kiln, under $300).

http://www.metalclaysupply.com/SpeedFire-ElectricMini-Kiln-p/54929_base.htm

I don't know enough about the annealing process to judge whether or not this kiln can be used for batch annealing (Effetre). I'd call the manufacturer but don't know exactly what to ask. From what I've read about annealing, it seems as though it is necessary to heat and cool the beads very slowly. This kiln might heat up/cool down too fast?

Anyway, if any of you who are good at this tech stuff can advise me on this I would be very grateful. The webpage actually has ramp up and ramp down temperature charts if you scroll down far enough, but I don't really know how to interpret them.

Thanks for any help!

Eileen
2011-12-12, 12:12pm
How nice of you to want to help her like this!

I'm not terribly knowledgeable, but to me it looks like it ramps down awfully fast. Also there doesn't seem to be any fine tuning of the temperatures, although the blue line seems closest to a bead temperature.
I think if it were me, I'd put that toward one of the more economical bead annealing kilns made for lampwork. There are sometimes some used ones listed in the garage sale part of the forum here.

Oh, and you didn't mention ventilation, glasses, etc. but safety is also important, so you may want to read a bit about it here as an option instead of a kiln. She can always use one of the other methods of cooling down, and do a batch anneal on the beads later, either herself or have them done elsewhere. Someone near you may be willing to do that for her.

Sorriso
2011-12-12, 1:48pm
Eileen,
Thanks for your reply, it's kind of what I was thinking-that it might be too fast for annealing.

And also thanks for your concern, we've got the safety aspects already taken care of-ventilation, glasses, fire extinguisher, etc. -this website has been a great help guiding us through this. You are a real nice group!

Dale M.
2011-12-12, 5:20pm
I would say this kiln is about one step above a toy and about two steps below what a good basic glass kiln should be...

If you notice the heat chamber (box) part has to be manually lifted off every time something is put into it....

A decent basic kiln should be a stable framework/chamber with at least a hinged door or lid of some sort to access chamber (one handed), a minimum of a pyrometer, and a infinite controller (digital would be better) for controlling temperature...

Though your idea is really nice I think the above unit is one you should pass up... Something that is not convenient and the user has to struggle with will ultimate create frustration and disappointment in working glass... Its frustrating enough just shaping the hot glass and struggling with the "tools" is something one should not have to do...

Something similar to one's below may be more appropriate... They have infinite controller (lesser expensive than with digital/programmable controller) and pyrometer... Though you have to "babysit" it to control the temperatures it would be much more practical then above unit also more expensive...

http://www.progresstool.com/prod_images_blowup/of-320-b11.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hOswvL6%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also use the word "oven" or "burnout over" (jewelery casting term) for a kiln ...

Dale

cheng076
2011-12-12, 7:01pm
One of my kilns is exactly like that pictured above. I use it for heat treating steel. It would be a good starter kiln for bead annealing and a digital controller could be added later. A digital controller can also be built at home for a very reasonable cost. There are a lot of kilns out there so keep looking for one more suited to glass.

Sorriso
2011-12-12, 8:19pm
Folks, you are all so helpful, thanks!!!
I did have my suspicions about the cheap kiln in my query ( Dale's wording- "one step above a toy" - seems appropriate) but it's good to have input from people with actual expertise.
For now we will stick to the original plan, which was to find someone to batch anneal when my daughter has enough beads. The annealing oven can come later.
I am intrigued by the idea that a digital controller for an oven can be home built. Is there a tutorial somewhere for that?

echeveria
2011-12-12, 8:33pm
Google toolbox kiln - I think I have seen plans for one, but I don't know where.

I would not use one that has exposed elements in the sides - I would be afraid that I would touch it with a mandrel and electrocute myself.

Diane (clarus)
2011-12-13, 10:01am
Hi Sorriso, here is a link to Mark Wilson's tutorial for how to build your own digital controller. My DH built mine using these instructions. It's not hard if you are very handy with working with electrical components.

Arrow Springs has a nice entry level controller for about $350, and also makes fantastic kilns (I have one of their's). They have a "sale" on gift certificates right now - do the math.... www.arrowsprings.com

Many folks around here have the Glass Hive kilns - they have a thread in the Sale Rack section for the latest deals.

I know it's an investment, but a very worthy one. The digital controller is a must. I did the kiln babysitting a few times before I begged my DH to finish building the controller - you don't want to have to monitor and adjust the temp on the kiln for several hours!

-Diane

Sorriso
2011-12-13, 11:55am
This is great! My husband is a talented DIY guy and the digital controller project might be fun for him.

Thank you, everyone!

Dale M.
2011-12-13, 8:15pm
Another DIY digital kiln controller...

http://toblerglasscreations.com/fuji/

Most controllers are basically the same, some deviation may be required to accept a variety of different components but "concept" is pretty much same all the way through project...

Dale

purpledragonfly
2011-12-14, 5:12am
Just an FYI......the glass hive (www.theglasshive.com) also does a layway plan. You can make your payments whenever you want, no set schedule. They will build and ship your kiln when it is paid for.

Sorriso
2011-12-14, 10:01am
Wow, you folks keep coming up with the good stuff! Thank you thank you thank you!