Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Transporting propane take for refill

blueyez
2006-05-16, 12:18pm
:wave:

ChaoticGlass
2006-05-16, 12:42pm
As long as it's completely empty there is no reason why it can't stay in the car when. I don't know about how to transport a 40 lb tank once it's filled, you'd have to figure out a way to strap it in..maybe bungee cords?

MikeAurelius
2006-05-16, 1:18pm
In the trunk, and strap it down to keep it from rolling, especially after its filled.

It is usually safer to use a pickemup truck, but if you don't have one, use what you do have.

The only concern is getting rear-ended and having a leak - leaking propane on top of leaking gasoline is (shudder) unthinkable...

Dale M.
2006-05-16, 4:13pm
I personally would take tank to be filled and take it right back to studio... I dont like the idea of driving around with propane in car and parking for long periods of time with tank in closed trunk without proper ventilation is a recipe for disaster in my opinion..

I also would NOT vent off remaining gas in tank....

Dale

Kalera
2006-05-16, 5:34pm
I think it should be fine to leave the empty tank in the car... as long as it is truly empty. Venting the tiny amount of pressure left (I assume you disconnected the tank when your torch flame started to go out) should not be a problem. Do strap it in and drive straight home after filling it - don't leave a full tank in the car under any circumstances.

bshelle
2008-10-30, 1:31pm
Old thread, but an article in today's paper led me to think about transporting gas safely in a vehicle for refilling.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081030/NEWS01/310300028/1055/NEWS

Investigating agencies have determined the cause of the Green Township car explosion was a leaking acetylene tank located in the trunk of the car owner's vehicle, the Hamilton County sheriff's office said today.

The tank had been placed in the trunk by the victim Wednesdaynight in anticipation of replacing the tank this morning. Investigators believe an electrical spark ignited fumes in the vehicle; the spark was created when the vehicle was started by the victim.

The car owner, Anthony Nuss, 30, is conscious at University Hospital and his burn injuries are believed to be non-life threatening, the sheriff's office said.

Authorities said that at 8:20 a.m. Nuss got into his car, which was parked on the street in front of his residence on Krierview Drive. He started the car and an immediate explosion occurred, destroying the car.

The explosion was investigated by the Green Township Fire Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), and the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office.

The explosion carried the debris several hundred feet in all directions. Some even landed on top of two-story roofs. The blast blew out windows of at least two homes on either side of Nuss’ car...

...That door's red interior is the only thing that indicates that this was a car. Debris, including the car's rear bumper, stretches 150 feet to the rear of the car.

(More at the link).

I'm trying to determine if the only thing the driver did incorrectly, based on the information available, is placed the acetylene tank in his trunk the night before and allowed fumes to accumulate.

I put my propane securely in my trunk immediately before the five minute drive to refill, and I am terrified of something happening. What more can I do?

menty666
2008-10-31, 12:49pm
My 20# tanks I use for the grill travel with me solo in the car and I'll usually crack a window too just as an added check (though the gas would collect low in the vehicle).

The 100# tank I just paid to have picked up and delivered though I may learn how to back up my trailer since that cost me 32.50 for the delivery. The tank and gas itself only cost 68.

Oxygen tanks (K and S tanks) get strapped flat into the back of my SUV so they can't move. It's only a 5 minute trip from house to the gas supplier.

lunamoonshadow
2008-11-02, 7:29am
I put mine in the back seat on the floor--it doesn't fit/stay upright in my trunk & I don't want it laying down rolling around--and drive with the window open a bit. Not as safe as a truck, but I'm not buying a truck just so I can fill/transport a BBQ tank 4 miles a couple times a year.