Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Pipe tutorials

Pages : [1] 2

James Lewis
2012-04-16, 5:51pm
To help knew people i thought would be a good idea to have a thread all about pipes i dont have any videos myself but thought it would be a good idea to have everyone post their tuts for searching ease since pipes can teach you so much about working with boro please posts tuts keep comments to a minimum pleasei

todda
2012-04-16, 9:07pm
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Bunyip
2012-04-17, 4:27am

Agreed.

Feel free to post pics of your work however.

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 7:35am
I didnt see any posts when i went to the link

Role
2012-04-17, 10:49am
I didnt see any posts when i went to the link

LOL !

You have to register.

Cosmo
2012-04-17, 10:54am
There is also a tutorial section on GLDG that has some basic spoon tutorials.

Although I would have no problem at all discussing pipes on this board, there aren't a lot of pipe-makers that visit here, so you probably won't see a lot of pipe discussion.

Icarus
2012-04-17, 11:15am
Come join us over at Talkglass. We don't bite, though there is plenty of licking and nibbling going on.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/

Bunyip
2012-04-17, 11:42am
Yeah, the crew over at talkglass leans heavily toward pipes (and the occasional marble), just like the crowd over here leans toward beads and pendants and such. Some of us dabble in everything - which is cool too.

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 11:53am
I figured that part out lol. I would like to talk pipes and hollow work though. I would show some of ny work but the upload wont let me get them on here check out my profile if you want to see some of the pieces ive made

Dragonharper
2012-04-17, 12:32pm
Come join us over at Talkglass. We don't bite, though there is plenty of licking and nibbling going on.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/

Just don't hang raw meat around your neck. :lol:

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 2:31pm
Ya i noticed that lol does anyone have any pics they would be willing to post up?

Jngljnke
2012-04-17, 4:32pm
Disco Sparkle and combo fuming over cobalt tubing.

Some production spoons.

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 4:47pm
Those are sick

RedToroBoro
2012-04-17, 4:48pm
go to you tube and watch tuts on vid

Jngljnke
2012-04-17, 4:55pm
Thanks James. If you're ever in the Houston area hit me up.

Bunyip
2012-04-17, 5:06pm
I like the green one with the plunged dots, Gary. Very nice design.

Bunyip
2012-04-17, 5:09pm
James, check out this thread. You should be able to get your pictures uploaded with one of the tools Chrisann and I posted

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194495

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 5:09pm

Here is some of my work so far

Hangs Well
2012-04-17, 5:54pm
Here are a few.

Jngljnke
2012-04-17, 6:54pm
Thanks Chris. I'm becoming a big fan of what you can do with with fuming and cobalt.

James, not bad to be self taught. How often do you get on the torch?

Dave, that pendant is killer. Nice job on all of it, but I love that pendant

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 7:56pm
Thanks i dont have hot grabbers so i hold the pieces with tweezers while im making the mouth piece.

I second that though the pendant is awesome.

I do wish though i had the money for lessons.

Hangs Well
2012-04-17, 8:31pm
Thanks. I made the pendent to wear to last years DFO.
James, I have learned more hanging out with local pipe makers in their garages or studios. Most are very open to help you learn and most are quite good at other work also. Take a look at Burtoni, Dwreck, Shackman and Vertigo to name a few. Great glass art background which you can see in their work and great people to spend time with.

James Lewis
2012-04-17, 8:41pm
I live in kansas and the only people around want me to pay around 300the per 8 hour lesson

Hangs Well
2012-04-17, 9:56pm
Have you checked out the University of Kansas?

queenofswords
2012-04-17, 10:39pm
My pipes crack a lot. Then I go in the local shops and they have so many for so cheap it is hardly worth my time to do.

James Lewis
2012-04-18, 7:27am
Their probably commercial pipes mainly

James Lewis
2012-04-18, 7:28am
Ive gone to Lawrence and everyone charges

Hangs Well
2012-04-18, 7:41am
My pipes crack a lot. Then I go in the local shops and they have so many for so cheap it is hardly worth my time to do.

Wrong pipe shop! Illuzions, Denver, CO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmDf3noKoY

Jngljnke
2012-04-18, 7:52am
I've been laughed at by many, many shop owners that only want to sell cheap Chinese crap. Oddly, they usually ask me what I sell my crack and meth pipes for, then I just walk out. Probably twenty to one shop that buys from me. I find that shops that have the headier pieces are more likely to have a "local" section. They are usually more respectful to artists also. Luckily I live in a large city with thousands of shops.

James, find out if for that $300 you can come back for clarification on any issues you encounter with the techniques they teach you. If so get that $300. You produce a product that has an established market. Get out there an hustle. I started out setting up tables at bars and what not early on. Anywhere that heads hung out. Most turned me away, but it was worth it when it happened. My pipes were wonkier than yours at that point, so I know you can make some money. I paid my mentor, and it was well worth it. No tutorial will ever improve your technique like working with another artist will, especially if they are more advanced. Time to show us your war face son.

Queen, at what stage do your pieces crack? Are you garaging between steps? If so, what temp? I'd love to see some of your pipes.

James Lewis
2012-04-18, 8:03am
Good point ive been trying to build the courage up to go to a new head shop that opened up in a town not to far away or problem kansas is a meth capital to and thats not art thats death. I think on my next day off ill go there and let my bowels hang out on a stick.

Queen what colors are you using? Ive read that some can have some problems playing with others.

Bunyip
2012-04-18, 8:35am
James, your pipes look pretty good, seems like you have the basic ability! If you can't afford a class right now, time to hustle! In the meantime, I'd suggest looking at videos online and/or through smartflix (http://smartflix.com/ )

one comment: that spiral wrap of clear you put on the stems might be a concern, it doesn't look like it's welded on good enough. Typically you want a smooth line with no undercut at the join.

James Lewis
2012-04-18, 10:28am
Thanks that really helps i tried to melt it down more but the neck kept being a pain im just gonna keep it as a first one ya know lol i made another funky one last night ill post when i get home

Bunyip
2012-04-18, 12:37pm
I've made a few pipes. My first one was...umm... pretty bad. ;) Later pipes are better but my mastery of the spoon is still a ways off.

Afro1621
2012-04-18, 3:15pm
I do wish though i had the money for lessons.

James,

Believe me when I say I've learned a lot more techniques and stuff now that when I used to go to classes. I don't mean my mentor didn't know what he was doing 'cause he's actually been doing it for over ten years and damn he's a PRO!! But from my point of view I've had the chance to experiment on my own and see the outcome and learn from that too. I'm not saying it is easy, 'cause it really isn't (there's a lot of research and reading and pain in the ass) but the satisfaction you get when you are able to create something starting from zero is priceless!!!! \\:D/

So, you're doing good so far just don't get discouraged when something doesn't turn out the way you would've wanted the first time. :biggrin:

Hangs Well
2012-04-18, 3:34pm
All GREAT advice!
Once you spend some time with another artist (paid or not), you will probably find others out there that you never knew existed in your area and that are willing to share. You may also find that things you have taught yourself may be of interest to them. In the mean time, practice, practice, practice and have fun.

Oh, learn to "fix it". Many times it is not what we originaly make, but what we can fix that counts.
Some of my greatest creations were broken first.

Another thing I was told is "Always finish it." Even when you think it is time to through it in the water, finish it.
That is what is so great about boro, stick it in the kiln and come back to it or reheat it the next day or week or month.

Bunyip
2012-04-18, 5:10pm
Some more advice:

Dave said two really important things:

1. "Fix It"
&
2. "Always finish it"

SO much truth here. There are times when a piece is unsalvagable, but the fact is you will learn a lot trying to fix it and/or finish it. I used to be a big fan of "water annealing" but now, when something doesn't go the way I want it to, or if something goes wrong, I make something from it no matter how much it hates me for doing so... and like Dave said above, some of my best pieces result. And some of my jankiest. That's life ;)

Some more to add:

We have a little saying at my house when it comes to art, "Someone will love it". Don't get so wrapped up in the craftsmanship aspect of a piece that didn't come out the way you wanted it to. A great example is striking colors. I get pretty annoyed sometimes because colors don't work the way I want them ... and those pieces almost always sell first. It's amazing...It's like they don't even see the technical flaw that drives you up the wall. Because they DON'T. Obviously I'm not talking about pieces that may be dangerously flawed from a user's standpoint... Just don't get too hung up on things that don't have the "look" or shape you were going for. That droopy sherlock may be someone's future favorite pipe... They don't know that you should have bridged it :P

James Lewis
2012-04-18, 5:26pm
Thank you everyone. I enjoy the fact all of you are so enthused about encouraging me on my work. I actually have quite a few pieces from when i first started that are worth going over again and some broken ones. Through teaching myself i have figured out how to give pieces depth since i first started in soft and recycled bottles and store baught marbles. I have also found a new why to do a bowel that is odd but makes it so the buyer doesnt need a screen. And i am proud of my work, even if it isnt what i orginally want. Now if only i could get my girlfriend this enthused she just thinks it takes time away from her lol.125014
One of them is a new piece and the other one was one of my first gu:eek:ess which one

queenofswords
2012-04-18, 5:36pm
I didn't try a lot of color since the clear ones weren't working so well. I must admit that learning how to do them gave me more confidence in trying other sculptural and blown work. Maybe I am blowing too thin. Would adding color make them sturdier?

James Lewis
2012-04-18, 5:44pm
It can since color takes longer to heat. One thing i notice when blowing is when it feels almost to easy to blow the glass your getting pretty then

Hangs Well
2012-04-18, 8:30pm
Most colors are stiffer and heat slower than clear especially black. I found good practice is to use frit inside the tube for color. You have to condense and blow it back out several times to get the frit melted in. Working with clear for joints is also good practice because it shows every flaw, you can cover a lot with color. When you start putting several pieces together you are going to want to make sure the thickness is the same on all the joints. Working in clear helps there. This is what I have learned not necessarily mastered.

Chris is absolutely right. You stick out what you think is the ugliest thing you have made and it is usually the first to sell. I spent some time working with a scientific glass worker who said bridges were for pussies. Well I must be a pussy cause I use them all the time.

James Lewis
2012-04-19, 7:04am
Now what exactly is a bridge? Ive never heard that term before

Bunyip
2012-04-19, 7:37am
Essentially, it's attaching a piece to parts of itself so that it doesn't sag when heat is applied in the middle. You can use it like "scaffolding" which is removed later, or integrated into a piece.

Example:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38047&highlight=bridging

Pretty much anything you may have a question on is on that forum if it has to do with pipes. And they're going to tell you to UTFSE before you ask any questions (use the f****** search engine) so be warned ... and use it.

James Lewis
2012-04-19, 7:46am
Ah okay i understand now makes sense. Should be getting some more clear and color today plus my long awaited hot fingers XD

Bunyip
2012-04-19, 10:34am
a picture is worth a thousand words, eh?

James Lewis
2012-04-19, 10:44am
Has anyone used any glow powder or glow rods onto their pieces? I have some coming thought id gi e it a try.

Jngljnke
2012-04-19, 3:26pm
I used the rod for some inside work and implosions. Almost everything broke. I was later told told I should have watered it down, but I haven't bought any more. I was recently told that pulling cane from the powder was the way to go. Have you tried any inside work James?

My first pipes were frit. I agree that it's a good way to add stability. Stay away from exotics and anything that sparkles at first.

I kicked this out yesterday.

Jngljnke
2012-04-19, 4:04pm
I'm going to try some blow ins this weekend. I'm going up to Austin to do some work with a few guys I know up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmScmdCNG1k

queenofswords
2012-04-19, 4:11pm
The best one I ever made was a figural woman body on one side, the bowl was in her back. the mouth piece was at the bottom of her legs and the side hole was out of the shoulder. I fumed it. one of my co- workers bought it for her son. Nice mommy.

Jngljnke
2012-04-19, 5:02pm
Oh that's all? I used to make ten of those a day.

Ok, I'm lying. That sounds bad ass Queen. Do you garage between steps?

James Lewis
2012-04-19, 5:36pm
Wow i need to try that looks like it could be really cool

queenofswords
2012-04-20, 11:58am
No I don't garage. unfortunately if I try to turn the kiln on at the same time I have my oxy cons and fan going, I blow a circuit. I am hoping to solve that this summer. Need to rewire the garage and put in a sub panel. Mucho moola.

sharyl
2012-04-20, 12:48pm
Queen I had the same problem for a while check to see if there is a different circuit and plug the kiln in there. you might have to move it across the room but it might solve your problem. It did for me.
Sorry don't make pipes but love looking at what you all are doing.
James you'll get there just keep at it.

James Lewis
2012-04-20, 2:37pm
You could use a heavy dudty extension cable if you wanted to as well and thank you

pjmarchwinds
2012-04-20, 7:43pm
You could use a heavy dudty extension cable if you wanted to as well and thank you

do not use an extension cord with a kiln. it will overheat and be a fire hazard.

talkglass is the pipe mecca...

here is one of mine

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/pjmarchwinds/100_0975.jpg

Bunyip
2012-04-20, 7:52pm
If you were going to put anything on extension cords it should be the oxycons, but you would still need a very heavy duty extension cord if you need to go any distance. You should see the ones we use for our seam-welding robot.

Jngljnke
2012-04-21, 12:38pm
That's ill PJ. Nice work.

I hope you get your electrical needs handled as painlessly as possible Queen. I bet most of your cracking issues would be solved if you could garage.

Last night I colabed with Damon Holmes at Glassman Studios in Austin on our first blow in. I'm happy with it and plan on making a bub with this technique today.

James Lewis
2012-04-21, 3:37pm
Both of those look sick ass all hell. Today i finally grew the bowels to go to a shop and see if they would be interested in buying some they said yes they but they also want some little basic bowels for bongs and the more elaborate ones with the ground joints the boss wasnt there so i left some of work there for him to look over and my number as well just got keep my fingers crossed

Jngljnke
2012-04-21, 3:59pm
Good luck.

James Lewis
2012-04-21, 4:16pm
Ya im just worried about the glass on glass connections

Over the Moon
2012-04-21, 6:20pm
Both of those look sick ass all hell. Today i finally grew the bowels to go to a shop and see if they would be interested in buying some they said yes they but they also want some little basic bowels for bongs and the more elaborate ones with the ground joints the boss wasnt there so i left some of work there for him to look over and my number as well just got keep my fingers crossed

I've gotta say - at first I thought it was a typo, but after you wrote the same thing numerous times...
It's bowls. Not bowels. Big difference. Just sayin'.....
Or balls. Depending on the context. :wink:

James Lewis
2012-04-21, 6:45pm
My bad hope everyone got a good laugh:-\"

deb tarry
2012-04-21, 7:55pm
That is funny I have had spell check get me a couple of times. skull and scull and there was another one but I forget what it was. :)
Oh I know it was marina and maria.

Bunyip
2012-04-21, 8:02pm
Pipes have bowls.
Your lower intestines are bowels
You need a big set of brass balls to do cold calls at new head shops ;)

Hope that helps :P

I was just up at a 420 celebration/demo held locally, after watching some of these guys work, I think I'm going to grow a pair myself and try some hollow work ;)

James Lewis
2012-04-21, 8:41pm
Right lol they were really excited about it im the only glass worker in a hundred miles

Jngljnke
2012-04-22, 5:30pm
Chris, look up blow ins/blow outs over at talkglass. It is WAY easier than it looks. Killer effects. I had a bub crack from a shitty weld, but a good green under fume lived. I'll put up pictures.

James, I'm glad your bowel connections are good. What's it like to have that tested?

James Lewis
2012-04-22, 7:21pm
Like having them pulled through your mouth piece but im still really excited

Cosmo
2012-04-23, 7:21am
Chris, look up blow ins/blow outs over at talkglass. It is WAY easier than it looks. Killer effects. I had a bub crack from a shitty weld, but a good green under fume lived. I'll put up pictures.

James, I'm glad your bowel connections are good. What's it like to have that tested?

Here's a pretty good video on doing blow-ins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJeOBe7dtfY

glassshack
2012-04-23, 8:08am
You can use a extension cord if it's rated correctly. I had to only because the placement of the box. Not recommended, but fosho can be done if needed without being a fire hazard

James Lewis
2012-04-24, 7:27am
Has anyone used the little torch on here?

Cosmo
2012-04-24, 7:36am
Has anyone used the little torch on here?

I have one. I use it from time to time.

James Lewis
2012-04-24, 8:56am
Ive been thinking of getting one for some really detailed work on pipes and hollow work im wanting to do since you can work with smaller and thin pieces with it without having to worry about it becoming a molten blob

Cosmo
2012-04-24, 1:51pm
What kind of torch do you have now? I find I can get as detailed as I need to get with the center fire of my CC.

LePatron
2012-04-24, 6:30pm
Life is not complete without the Smith Little Torch or Gentec's. Both are the same, but Gentec's has longer hoses for the same money. Use the #7 tip, unless you upgrade to the Hornet Wizard tip (4 stars) or the Blast Shield 7-hole tip (5 stars!).

I use it on every mib that i put on a pipe. Invaluable tool.

Look @ eBay for the best pricing, the glass suppliers are about 30% higher.

Jngljnke
2012-04-24, 7:20pm
I agree with Cosmo on the CC. What kind of torch are you on now James?

Here's a fee more blow ins.

James Lewis
2012-04-24, 7:33pm
Im working on a midrange plus with a minor on top. I tried some blow ins and they both failed pretty hard didnt get the patterns i want or color.

Jngljnke
2012-04-25, 10:46am
I learned on a Red Max with a pre mix minor. A buddy of mine has the same torch as you. I never had much luck fuming or adding detail with the surface mix minor. I can definitely see how it could give you problems.

How's your coil potting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFJu2E09b4 (thanks LePatron)
This is how we were getting most of our base colors, with different variations of fuming inside the cup. It was WAY easier when I had someone pull the cup out of the kiln and heat/hold it for me. It made it easier to get the blow in to a honey consistency. I'm back in my studio now so I won't have that luxury anymore.

James Lewis
2012-04-25, 11:12am
My coil potting is pretty good used to do alot of hollow beads with my soft glass same thing really. And i was able to fume it pretty good after it went through the kiln the colors really popped out. I think my problem was i used to little and didnt get it hot enough. And it didnt help that i havent done very many cups before. Ill put pics up when i get home

James Lewis
2012-04-25, 3:22pm

the results of my first two blow ins

Jngljnke
2012-04-25, 4:01pm
Keep at it. Locky like you're doing fine. You know what they say about practice. I'm going to try out my ten mil blow pole in a few. I bet it's going to help get my coils hotter. I like how the trapped air looks, but I'd rather have it as an option.

LePatron
2012-04-25, 4:49pm
Jngljnke; heat up more of the neck and pop the hole closer to the neck for the spoon. Then give it a push in and down, and the bowl will be positioned so you can see it when its held to your lips rather than at a perpendicular angle to it.

Here's how I do em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQbRaYXpo

James Lewis
2012-04-25, 4:55pm
Im thinking of trying it again tonight making the cup a bit bigger and doing a heaveir fuming think i might throw in some gold with it too

Jngljnke
2012-04-25, 7:19pm
Good luck James.

Thanks YourHighness. I'll give it a shot.

Baywinger
2012-04-25, 9:19pm
so can any one tell me what are the legal issues with pipe making?
I recently read a news article from a few years ago where a pipe maker in norcal was arrested by the feds and prosocuted, wound up serving 6 months house arrest.
granted he and his partner where targeted probably because of the volume of production but it sucks that the feds would do that.

Hangs Well
2012-04-25, 9:52pm
http://www.degenerateartfilm.com/

Got to see this film with Marble Slinger and several of the people involved in the Feds great bust. Great film!

Baywinger
2012-04-25, 10:11pm
Nice short film, yeah that's who I was talking about I googled his name after he opened a glass shop nearby and was shocked to read what the feds had done.
WOW those are some fantastic pipes in the film,the level of Skill and art involved is amazing.
thanks for the link

James Lewis
2012-04-25, 10:40pm
Wow thats just hitlerish. Awesome looking pipes though can you imagine how long it would take to make one of those

Baywinger
2012-04-25, 10:49pm
I watched a local guy making a complex pipe recently it took him the better part of a week to finish and he has mad skills. His pipe was not as complex as some of the ones in the film.
yeah it's crazy I see that the feds are craking down on more local dispensaries, which are legal by state law

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-26, 12:36am
Any one wanting to know about the realistic possibilities of pipe making look up operation pipe dreams and 101 north. Scary shit to know still today this could happen to anyone who makes pipes and possibly ships to the wrong state.

If you want to become decent at making anything. Make 100 of them out of clear and go from there. I tell anyone i give a lesson to that aprox 75% of all pipe making can be traced back to the basic spoon and the fundamentals behind the classic shape. So many people get caught up on color and shiny things that they bypass the basic fundamentals. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

When i first started my adventure into the pipe world i was lucky enough to live close to luke wilson a great pipe man with a ton of history and knowledge it took a while to get him to even give me the time of day and his first lesson to me was to make 100 clear spoons i made 3 bypassed his words and went to color and FAILED! Here is a hint if you cant get it right in clear where you can see wall thickness chance are you will fail when you add color into the mix.

Oh also mr hangswell i heard that Vertigo guy is a real asshole.....

patienthand
2012-04-26, 5:23am
Essentially, it's attaching a piece to parts of itself so that it doesn't sag when heat is applied in the middle. You can use it like "scaffolding" which is removed later, or integrated into a piece.

Example:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38047&highlight=bridging

Pretty much anything you may have a question on is on that forum if it has to do with pipes. And they're going to tell you to UTFSE before you ask any questions (use the f****** search engine) so be warned ... and use it.

while I am not a pipe maker, I have a strong background in blown work. this is how I assemble my orchids and flowers as well as some complicated sculpture. Its a great technique to know and lets you get joins melted in well without sagging

Baywinger
2012-04-26, 9:23am
any one else notice the automatic response of oh you make pipes when you tell someone you are a boro flameworker? I get that from the general public, softglass bead makers and of course my cop friends.
the funny thing is I am not a pipe maker, I am intriged by the artwork and skills that go into it and I love tubing work but after reading about what happend to ryan and talking to him about it that is a risk I would rather avoid. so I will admire the skill and art that goes into them and keep trying to sell mundane glass items.
it is funny though that everyone thinks I am a pipe maker and I get those knowing winks when I tell them I am not

Hangs Well
2012-04-26, 9:24am
Oh also mr hangswell i heard that Vertigo guy is a real asshole.....

Yeah, that's what I've heard. What you up to on Monday? Good day to come out? I have to make another 97 spoons this weekend.

James Lewis
2012-04-26, 10:32am
I have to say pipe making isnt the funnest or safest but it is the perfect way to start learning with tubing if you ask me. It takes alot of skill and patience to be able to really master them. If you can do that well working with tubing for anything should just come natural. Also is there anyone in kansas? Ive been trying to find some place that i could go to watch someone more experienced.

Baywinger
2012-04-26, 10:50am
for me it is the opposite, I have been making goblets,perfume bottles,whistles(which where mistaken for crack pipes) and now working on wine thieves for a wine maker friend of mine, so looking on my bench at the various stages of work with my tubing, i'm like gee if I just put the parts together like this wallah, which is what prompted my question in the first place.

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-26, 3:48pm
nothing wrong with making pipes Morgan there really isnt the stigma involved that there once was. When you have some of the biggest glassblowers in the world crossing over to not only boro but the pipe world Its a sign that times are changing. I am glad I make pipes and i openly tell people what I do. Mind you what happened in operation pipe dream was not only a while ago but also targeted larger distros and warehouses they didnt go after every pipe maker in their grage although alot of us thought they were. I would rather be involved in making history and converting this industry from something so dark and taboo to something generally acceptable by the main stream. When you start seeing spots on the tennis channel about traveling to vermont for the tennis and to Go see the Bern gallery and they openly show its a pipe shop you know things are evolving.

For those of you that havent seen Mr. Slingers movie Degenerate Art. Please find a way to do so at a local event or once it becomes available to the public. Right now he is doing showing at all the major events and I dont care who you are its a breath taking piece of art in its own right and only made me even more proud to be a part of this way of life and this culture.

As far as the Local bead snobs that are on this board that turn their nose up at Pipes and do everything they can to keep them off here. esp anyone that makes boro beads, YOU wouldnt have any of the boro color or 90% of the techs you "find inspiration from" if it wasnt for us pipe makers. pipes drive the boro world not beads not " art" PIPES so show a little respect and an open mind to those that paved a way for what you have twisted and now profit off of.

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-26, 3:52pm
Here is a step by step photo tut ( no words) that i put together quickly the pics are in reverse order so yeah......http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/VertigoGlass/Spoon%20tut/

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/VertigoGlass/Spoon%20tut/39291f89.jpg

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-26, 3:54pm
Yeah, that's what I've heard. What you up to on Monday? Good day to come out? I have to make another 97 spoons this weekend.

Call me sunday and i will let you know buddy. IM knee deep in orders right now but i can set aside some time for you my friend

Hangs Well
2012-04-26, 4:57pm
Hey Baggedchevys,

Didn't you make a video? Thought I remeber seeing that.

Call you on Sunday. FYI: Demoing on 5/5 at PAG.

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-26, 5:05pm
derp derp forgot about that as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhZbAIIVkg

James Lewis
2012-04-26, 5:23pm
nothing wrong with making pipes Morgan there really isnt the stigma involved that there once was. When you have some of the biggest glassblowers in the world crossing over to not only boro but the pipe world Its a sign that times are changing. I am glad I make pipes and i openly tell people what I do. Mind you what happened in operation pipe dream was not only a while ago but also targeted larger distros and warehouses they didnt go after every pipe maker in their grage although alot of us thought they were. I would rather be involved in making history and converting this industry from something so dark and taboo to something generally acceptable by the main stream. When you start seeing spots on the tennis channel about traveling to vermont for the tennis and to Go see the Bern gallery and they openly show its a pipe shop you know things are evolving.

For those of you that havent seen Mr. Slingers movie Degenerate Art. Please find a way to do so at a local event or once it becomes available to the public. Right now he is doing showing at all the major events and I dont care who you are its a breath taking piece of art in its own right and only made me even more proud to be a part of this way of life and this culture.

As far as the Local bead snobs that are on this board that turn their nose up at Pipes and do everything they can to keep them off here. esp anyone that makes boro beads, YOU wouldnt have any of the boro color or 90% of the techs you "find inspiration from" if it wasnt for us pipe makers. pipes drive the boro world not beads not " art" PIPES so show a little respect and an open mind to those that paved a way for what you have twisted and now profit off of.

Id have to agree with that. Ive never actually never made a boro bead in my life.

I think i finally got a nice blow in and another pretty color looking one too

Jngljnke
2012-04-26, 5:37pm
Well put Bagged. Thanks for the info you put out.

Ironically, I just got my first bead release. I'll try it out in the near future. I think it will be a nice change to make some basic beads.

Jngljnke
2012-04-26, 6:18pm
So Bagged, is your bowl push a 1/2" stub out?

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-26, 6:25pm
yes 1/2 inch copper stub out from Lowes 49 cents had it for 6 years take some 600 grit to it wet then use bees wax on it bingo bango life long bowl push

Baywinger
2012-04-26, 6:36pm
I am not particularly worried about stigma not when flow magazine freatures pipes and pipe artist :-) for me I am a volunteer hunter ed insructor and in order to keep doing that I need a sqeeky clean record so I just worry about being arrested by someone making a name for themselves "cleaning up"
god knows the feds are comming down really hard on the legal med clinics here.
and I am totally greatfull on the pipe artists driving the skill sets and boro colors :-)

James Lewis
2012-04-26, 8:00pm
yes 1/2 inch copper stub out from Lowes 49 cents had it for 6 years take some 600 grit to it wet then use bees wax on it bingo bango life long bowl push

That sounds pretty awesome if you ask me. Wish i would of thought of that. Lol

Jngljnke
2012-04-26, 9:32pm
You're a bagenious Bagged. I'm a licensed plumber and I didn't think about that.

Over the Moon
2012-04-27, 2:55am
From Wikipedia "The estimated cost of Operation Pipe Dreams was over $12 Million and included the resources of 2,000 law enforcement officers".

What. A. Waste. Of. Time. And. Money.

Thank you pipe-makers - for leading the way, and opening up a World of possibilities.

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-27, 8:23am
The only down side to the copper stub out is it cunducts heat. So back when i was in high production making spoons i would have to dunk it in a bowl of water every few pieces or it was too hot to hold. I really think it makes a great bowl push as far as the shape goes and is locally avail for everyone as well as economical. If someone wanted they could put some kind of fancy wooden handle on it.

Baywinger
2012-04-27, 10:33am
wrap the end in tape, was was using a stainless steel rod inside tubbing for awhile when I first was trying to figure out my knife handles and I just wrapped the crap out of the end with masking tape worked great to insulate the heat from my hand

Baywinger
2012-04-27, 10:37am
From Wikipedia "The estimated cost of Operation Pipe Dreams was over $12 Million and included the resources of 2,000 law enforcement officers".

What. A. Waste. Of. Time. And. Money.

Thank you pipe-makers - for leading the way, and opening up a World of possibilities.

that just makes you sick to think of all that waste in tax money, how about we concentrate on some real criminals

James Lewis
2012-04-27, 11:10am
[QUOTE=Over the Moon;3978774]From Wikipedia "The estimated cost of Operation Pipe Dreams was over $12 Million and included the resources of 2,000 law enforcement officers".

No shit they waste all of that money for that and little petty shit and then wonder way our economy is going is going down the drain hell they should be encourageing pipemaking

Baywinger
2012-04-27, 2:33pm
I know makes one hell of a tax revenue for them
so this is why I was asking about pipes it would be so easy to make this as a pipe instead of a wine thief.

James Lewis
2012-04-28, 6:23am
Pretty easily or atleast make a small bowl. (Ha got it right this time) how does a wine theif work exactly anyways? Doesnt it suck it up the tube even though its capped at the end? Something to with physics but which law?

Baywinger
2012-04-28, 7:35am
both ends have a small hole, you stick the thief in the barrel of wine then place your thumb ober the top whole, that hold in the wine.

James Lewis
2012-04-28, 7:57am
Ah i see thats simple enough

James Lewis
2012-04-28, 11:55am
I wonder how the first boro glass pipe was made and how it looked what tools did they use to make

Dragonharper
2012-04-28, 12:02pm
Well, back in '78 I had a Boro bong that was basically a 16 oz boro water glass with a hole for a stopper and one for the carb. The single hit bowl was juast a piece of 8mm boro tubing flared at one end and the larger bowl was 8mm tubing with a 15mm cup. Back then pipes were made of wood or stainless.

James Lewis
2012-04-28, 4:29pm

Some pieces ive been working on the top is a blow in and the bottom i made piece by piece down the tubing

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-28, 9:00pm
Mr Bob Snodgrass is the godfather of the traditional color changing pipe. He was the first fuming and him and a hand full of others are to " blame" lol for all of this that we pipe makers do. He is a wonderful man If you ever get a chance to meet and talk with him i suggest you do, he is a very humble man with a very large heart. James I hope that sometime you can pool the funds together to either make it to AGI or the DFO they both would be eye openers for you esp AGI. I think alot of your questions would be answered at either show.

alb6094
2012-04-28, 9:22pm
I know makes one hell of a tax revenue for them
so this is why I was asking about pipes it would be so easy to make this as a pipe instead of a wine thief.

I've never seen anything like that, how cool! Beautiful and functional.

alb6094
2012-04-28, 9:34pm
derp derp forgot about that as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhZbAIIVkg

Thanks for posting this. I love to watch boro tubing work. Stevie Wonder too, win/win, lol.

I found an old (1970's) book with Suellen Fowler doing tubing beads and using a file over a tuna can with a notch cut into it to cut tubing. She was using clear tubing and those big hunks of cobalt glass like the Disneyland LW's used to keep to do eye dots, etc. Early boro work was so exploratory. Truly a new frontier. I haven't finished reading it yet, there's some old school LW tuts in it as well, I was stoked to find it just because it's like having a piece of history.

OK, I'll go back to lurking in here now. ;)

James Lewis
2012-04-29, 7:12am
What exactly is AGI and DFO?

BAGGEDCHEVYS
2012-04-29, 8:40am
AGI Is the art glass invitational. It takes place back east every year at a wonderful facility run by some amazing peoole. Lots of demos work shop good times and brains to pick there. The majority of it is art glass but the pipe makers are there and willing to talk more info can be found on talkglass.com.

The DFO. Is the degenerate flame off and is one hell of a good time. Its a pipe flame off where some of the best pipe makers goes head to head in a flame off against eachother seeing who can created the most amazing piece. All the big wigs in the pipe world will be there. There are also demos and good deals on tools and glass as well as more amazing people willing to not only tell you about what you want to know but probably show you first hand.

I think you can you tube both for trailers and footage from years past.

Hangs Well
2012-04-29, 8:54am
What exactly is AGI and DFO?

http://www.glass123.com/AGI.html

http://cornerstoneglass.com/category/dfo/

You can find a lot of previous years DFO videos on youtube.

James Lewis
2012-04-29, 8:55am
That sounds like one sick trip to have damn ill have to start saving up lol

mightymike
2012-04-29, 5:36pm
been following you guy and thought i would jump in. lot of good advice thanks. seeing how nicely shaped some of those are i know i need a lot more practice. but just can't help but through that color in there. been hooked on those wig wags lately.
so keep up the good information.
thanks mike

James Lewis
2012-04-29, 6:22pm
Wow those are alot better then mine lol

mightymike
2012-04-29, 6:32pm
thanks you
but i assure you mine looked worst than your 4 months ago and i have 40 or 50 that you don't see pictures of. keep going you will get there.

James Lewis
2012-04-29, 8:32pm
Thank you how long have you been working at the torch?
I finally made my first bubbler looks like clear shit but it works XD

mightymike
2012-04-30, 1:17pm
hey James
i first saw a torch in action about one year age and was hook right then and there when to a Madison WI. shop and took a class. came home and order a mirage which i didn't get till August and then did pendant and implosion.
started with tubes around Christmas i really want to be able to make big goblets and vases. and found tube to be a norther whole learning curve.
planning on trying a vac stack tube pull this week.

James Lewis
2012-04-30, 1:25pm
Nice i was suggested it by a friend and it all went from there i only have a midrange with a minor on top once i get better im thinking of upgrading to the mirage heres a picture of my bubbler

steak351
2012-05-01, 4:11am
here is some stuff from me, i dont know any pipe makers than over the internet cause i live in germany and here is not yet a scene like in amerika, but we are working hard on it:D

i hope you like it i have only little time to do such stuff cause i am at a scientific glass school studying to become a glassaparatusmaker/scientific glassblower, and the school is 450 km away from my home wife daughter and little studio, i gave this pieces to friends, i wouldnt sell them because i see all the little flaws, i made them during easter holidays where i had 2 days off from the family

but i hope you like it anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJsH9lLZj8&list=UUTEAXCzIiyyWSA3r19PZ7hw&index=1&feature=plcp

James Lewis
2012-05-01, 7:16am
What was it that made everyone want to start making things with glass?

steak351
2012-05-01, 7:28am
i watched a vid an thought, i can do this...haha then i was doomed:D

deb tarry
2012-05-01, 8:40am
Thanks for sharing, great music and beautiful glass work. I would like to know if the knife blade was beveled before the handle was put on or after?

BellaBean
2012-05-01, 9:58am
James- Thanks for starting this thread!

Chris - Thanks for the pic tut and video. I will have to watch when I am not at work.

Some of the most incredible pieces of glass art are pipes. I think that it is a bit sad for a glass artist to judge another artist because they make pipes. So many amazing techniques were first used in pipe making.

I've watched a spoon being made and tried to duplicate the technique (just in clear). I wanted to learn the technique just to build my skill base in working with tubing. I gave up after a bit because I had no clue what to do with the finished pieces. I don't smoke (and neither do most of the folks I know). Not because I believe it is wrong, but because it just isn't "for me". PA is VERY strict about what can be sold. I felt weird putting the spoon attempts in the recycling bin, but don't really need to keep boxes of spoons.

James Lewis
2012-05-01, 11:24am
Thank you i thought it would be a good idea cause the best work is always a "tabboo".

steak351
2012-05-01, 11:52am
i grinded the blade after i made the handle, first with 180 grit then 250 then300 then 400 then some sort of cork to polish it, i made a couple of others as a practice because i want to make a big sword

kind regards

James Lewis
2012-05-01, 4:41pm
Nice video does anyone have any suggestions to what i cand use 6mm tubing for?

LePatron
2012-05-01, 8:00pm
Nice video does anyone have any suggestions to what i cand use 6mm tubing for?

Downstems

Role
2012-05-01, 8:16pm
What was it that made everyone want to start making things with glass?

The transparent colors.
Don't know how to described it, it's something to do
with light passing through the medium.

Cameras, optics, lasers, glass... All things that relate
to light, refracting, reflecting, capturing or transmitting,
fascinates me.

I also like the challenging dynamics of trying to control glass
in it's liquid state.

Bunyip
2012-05-01, 8:29pm
Thermo
Hydro
dynamic!

James Lewis
2012-05-02, 3:02pm

here is my second bubbler. Couldnt help to add to some color and alittle fume job. Lol

Jngljnke
2012-05-02, 3:03pm
A name like Steak351 makes me think graffiti. You get up Steak?

Jngljnke
2012-05-02, 3:08pm
Keep on James. I think it's fun dropping in down stems. Making those welds can be a bitch. I find it way easier with a swivel/blow hose set up. Good job. I wasn't making multi pieces at the stage you're at.

James Lewis
2012-05-02, 3:53pm
It wasnt that hard after i did my first one and saw my flaws next time im going to bridge it and work on my flame control so i can get some better colors the bowl and basin is actually fumed to. The neck i actually laid color down then filled the gaps with 5mm clear to give it more of that spiral look. My cousin nearly shat himself when he saw it. XD next up is a bong or a hookah

Bunyip
2012-05-02, 6:20pm
next up is a WATER PIPE or a hookah ;)

mightymike
2012-05-02, 9:55pm
hey just finished first vac pac tube pull lost a little in one end but learned for next time. but super pumped did fire and black got this one 31 inch and a nother one 8 inch and the two ends. got tons of othe color combonations in my head to get out.

Baywinger
2012-05-02, 10:07pm
Nice job James
Ok so if Jame's new pipe is a bubbler and bunyip said next up a water pipe, what is a bubbler?
is there a pipe style 101?
truly clueless in this area

Role
2012-05-02, 11:27pm
Nice job James
Ok so if Jame's new pipe is a bubbler and bunyip said next up a water pipe, what is a bubbler?

The *ong word is taboo whereas "water pipe" is considered more acceptable.

A bubbler is a pipe / *ong hybrid, looks mostly like a regular pipe but has a
downstem into a water chamber for filtration.

Something like this:

http://www.gorillaglass.com/images/HB-9.JPG

James Lewis
2012-05-03, 5:25am
Nice job James

Thank you. How do you do a vac stack? Mainly how do you make the vaccum?
Okay so next up is a water pipe or a hookah either word works im just happy im moving forward not backwards lol

Bunyip
2012-05-03, 6:46am
sorry to confuse, that's my sense of humor for ya though ;)

"Water pipe" is a general term encompassing many styles of pipes - including 'tubes', 'bubblers', basically any non-dry piece. The reason you can't say "b*ng" is that once you say that word it magically becomes paraphernalia and they can violate all of your constitutionally-guaranteed rights because you worship heathen idols.

Hangs Well
2012-05-03, 9:43am
Thank you. How do you do a vac stack? Mainly how do you make the vaccum?
Okay so next up is a water pipe or a hookah either word works im just happy im moving forward not backwards lol

If you watch the video below you will see a hose hooked to the blow tube. Instead of having a mouth piece on the end of the hose so that you can blow, it is hooked to a vacuum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOzi5orjiwI

James Lewis
2012-05-03, 11:21am
Does any kind of vaccum work?

Hangs Well
2012-05-03, 12:39pm

Yes, but I wouldn't want to use the family Hoover. Any shop vac wouild do the trick.

zen-mom
2012-05-03, 1:32pm
Yes, but I wouldn't want to use the family Hoover. Any shop vac wouild do the trick.

I thought that's what it was for? Dammit. Don't tell Jeff or he'll make me use to clean up all the dog hair!

James Lewis
2012-05-03, 1:39pm
Hmmm ill stick to what i know best for now

James Lewis
2012-05-05, 6:52am
Lets talk about welds. I know their some of the hardest things to get right. They require alot of time and patience to do right. Also briging is just as important it makes your life alot easier in the end. But this is all coming from a noob what do the pros think about these two highly important skills needed for complex hollow and solid work?

Jngljnke
2012-05-05, 4:43pm
I get both sides honey consistency and connect. When it comes to cleaning up I was taught to do no more than two sides at once. I do the bottom (puff reduce until smooth), then either the left or right. I garage at this point, making sure it's not hot enough to sag. 5-10 min later I do the other side and top. Having a swivel helps me. I can puff when I need to, not when it's ready plus the time it takes me to get the blow pole to my mouth. Don't move to the next side until you are happy with the first.

If I knew anything at all about bridging I would add that here

LePatron
2012-05-05, 10:10pm

The answers you heard already, are misleading. "Any" shop vac wont work. In fact, the smaller, lesser powerful shop vacs are what you *want* to use. I particularly like the Home Depot Bucket Head shop vac that is $19 and goes on top of one of their 5 gallon orange buckets.

With the vac stack, consider how much air you are sucking out. Less than one liter of air by volume. Do you need a ton of vacuum to suck that out? Hell no! :)

You want to insert your blowhose into the top of the shop vacs suction, but dont close it up or anything, just let it rest in it. That will pull a minimal amount of suction and give you the most controllable results.

I'll make a video on how to do a vac stack on Monday and post it up here as well as the walkthroughs for all the prep work as well as the flame work and fishing the pull properly and what tools to use.

James Lewis
2012-05-05, 10:41pm
Wow that is really awesome of you thank you for do this. For the past two fays ive been doing alot of clear fumed peices. I have to say they are by far one of the hardest things to do

steak351
2012-05-06, 10:35am
hey yeah when i was young 16 to 18 years i did a lot of that, but not anymore, i used to skateboard a lot then o broke my feet multiple times and just worked something for 12 years, now i will be soon a scientific glassblower/ apparatusmaker however it is called :D

kind regards

Jngljnke
2012-05-06, 12:50pm
One of the shops I sell to gets water pipes from a scientific blower. This man makes the cleanest welds I've ever seen. I may get a chance to work with him soon. He's been on the torch for around 20 years, and can freehand a three foot piece. I'm dying to see him work.

Baywinger
2012-05-07, 12:13am
there is a scientific glass place over in richmond that also makes big water pipes on glass lathes, it is really cool to watch

Baywinger
2012-05-07, 12:15am
Recent post from Paul Stankard

Paul Stankard

Saturday.

The Real Crime

Over the last 50 years I’ve witnessed the Lampworking community grow beyond the service of science to become the most popular hot glass working process and challenging thousands of creative people around the world. One interesting fact is this economically accessible craft is attracting large numbers of hip, counter-culture non-conformists who are experiencing creativity in glass producing glass pipes. This lampworked glass paraphernalia is made in garages, basements, small sheds and elaborately equipped studio’s across the country and spreading throughout the free world.
Nourished primarily by an outsider pop-subculture this billion dollar activity is producing products that are made, displayed, bought, and sold under the legal radar screen available to upwards of 50 million smokers. Conservative estimates suggest as many as 15 thousand people are lampworking paraphernalia for smoking marijuana. The artists within the glass pipe making community are expanding the flameworking parameters, and as a group are difficult to categorize beyond outsider art steeped in a pop culture with a lively subculture. These artist’s in the upper echelon of what I’ve heard referred to as, the Boro Functional Art Community, evidence mastery of skills responsible for creating ambitious glass water pipes as art. These highly decorated works have set new standards for excellence within the flameworking community. I’m amazed at the level of complexity and attractiveness achieved by these mostly publicity shy young people. When I think back to industry and what I was fabricating at the torch for research scientists, it’s amazing how extraordinary the functional glass pipes are compared to scientific glass apparatus. I would think the best of these flameworked sculptures are being displayed in collections, while the more utilitarian production glass pieces are being used at home. What makes this segment of glass art community distorted is that it’s illegal to produce, distribute, and use drug paraphernalia. I don’t believe it’s a crime to smoke pot, but I do believe it’s a crime to allow these gifted men and women working in hot glass to be shunned from the glass art community.

PennyLane
2012-05-07, 6:25am
Thanks Morgan, and very well said Paul.

James Lewis
2012-05-07, 12:42pm
One of the shops I sell to gets water pipes from a scientific blower. This man makes the cleanest welds I've ever seen. I may get a chance to work with him soon. He's been on the torch for around 20 years, and can freehand a three foot piece. I'm dying to see him work.
If you can take some of pictures of him working welds and shaping that would be awesome

James Lewis
2012-05-09, 8:57am
Bub that i made lastnight

mightymike
2012-05-09, 8:59am
sweet !

Jngljnke
2012-05-09, 12:20pm
A little planning goes a long way James. Plan your sections so your welds are made on the same color. White on white or blue on blue in your hammer. Takes more time for the planning, but your welds will flow better. Your welds are looking better. Look at some pictures of similar work at glasspipes or talkglass for shaping ideas. Puff the carriage out a bit more on the bottom, then gently pull it back while flattening it out. You will wind up with the nice dumpy bottom you see. Play with it.

I'm still working getting in the scientific studio. I'll be amazed if he's cool with me taking pictures. I'll ask though.

The people I'm learning from now don't mind me recording the tutorials, but if I distributed it in any way I would get my ass beat and cut off from any more instruction.

James Lewis
2012-05-09, 12:58pm
That would be pretty awesome but i pulled off the second tube wrong but i just went with it cause i wasnt going to try and fix it and screw it up by accident lol

deb tarry
2012-05-10, 5:57pm
Great job James kinda makes me wish I smoked up still.

zen-mom
2012-05-10, 6:24pm
My very first attempt... I got a private lesson from a friend yesterday...

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/577684_10150865159494865_738869864_9714210_1634348 743_n.jpg

Oops... that's a shell in there too... sorry for the blurry pic.

Jngljnke
2012-05-10, 9:56pm
Good job Donna. Way better than my my first attempts. In Texas any pipe that is clear only ist automatically considered a crack pipe (regardless of of shape) by legal definition. So I've been warned. You may want to check for any special stipulations in your state. Throw some fuming of a few colored dots if you need too. When I was in Austin I saw some pieces that had surface worked flowers on them. Seemed easy enough if you happen to already have that skill, and it looked sweet.

zen-mom
2012-05-10, 10:10pm
Thanks!

This was just practice. But thanks for the warning. I think I can manage some dots or flowers...

Bunyip
2012-05-11, 4:10am
If you're comfortable with condensing the glass, even a little frit inside should do the trick. Use butterscotch, blue moon or other fumey color and it self-fumes the piece as a bonus. Just condense and blow back out a couple times. I'm horrible at it but... I'm comfortable screwing up so... it's all good ;)

Baywinger
2012-05-11, 7:25am
My very first attempt... I got a private lesson from a friend yesterday...

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/577684_10150865159494865_738869864_9714210_1634348 743_n.jpg

Oops... that's a shell in there too... sorry for the blurry pic.

next time make the shell the bowl and there is your color :-)

zen-mom
2012-05-11, 8:39am
Haha... a shell spoon... I think I can do the frit thing. Not sure what colors I have but we'll see.

James Lewis
2012-05-11, 4:39pm
So i have hit writers block in the glass world im thinking going back to basics is a good idea anyone else have any ideas for me?

hngntuf
2012-05-12, 6:38am
Sidecar bubbler would be a challenge, but going back to basics is good too.

Stephen

James Lewis
2012-05-12, 4:18pm
A head shop bought some of my stuff and are going to make a order tomorrow

Baywinger
2012-05-12, 7:35pm
A head shop bought some of my stuff and are going to make a order tomorrow

congrats that is awesome!

James Lewis
2012-05-12, 8:32pm
Thank you

Jngljnke
2012-05-13, 9:12am
How often do you do/practice inside work? How are your cane skills? Do you ever play with mixing colors? When I get burned out making pipes I usually do marbles and pendants. I actually enjoy that more, they just don't have the immediate return pipes do.

Good job on the sales.

Jngljnke
2012-05-13, 9:27am
I made this spoon for a friend.

Beadz Gone Wild
2012-05-14, 3:01pm
OK, I've been making spoons for a little while now and have made a couple dozen of them. I finally have the nerve to show my latest. I'm kinda proud of this one. I only do glass one day a week - wish I could everyday but not in the cards right now. Critique?

Bunyip
2012-05-14, 4:24pm
My first comment is: that's a lefty pipe.

My second comment is that my preference is that you should blow the carb a little bigger, and melt it in a little more so it doesn't come to such a sharp point.

LePatron
2012-05-14, 5:37pm
OK, I've been making spoons for a little while now and have made a couple dozen of them. I finally have the nerve to show my latest. I'm kinda proud of this one. I only do glass one day a week - wish I could everyday but not in the cards right now. Critique?

First: Compliments. They really look super!

Second: Now to critique........

1.) The carb should be twice the size as the bowl hole. If it isnt, you wont get the clean air to clear the spoon and you gag.

2.) Pop your hole closer to the neck of the spoon. When its popped so that it pushes straight down, its hard to see the bowl when you light it. Move the hole spot and then push that thing down and back.

3.) The bowl (and presumably the bottom that is flattened) has devitrification on it. Easy fix, just hit it back in the flame after you've shaped it and it'll polish itself smooth. Not too hot, just after it starts to glow. When it looks smooth, its perfect!

4.) Carb is "on the wrong side" but only to right handed people. Lefties need some love too but not too much love! :)

Suggestions, not criticism: Add a few dots of clear to the spoon opposite the carb side. It'll give you great practice melting them in. Use a pinner flame and make sure the entire dot is melted in so it looks like a chocolate chip melting on a pan, not like a cold chocolate chip sitting on one. This is *super* important to get down early!

^^^ Thats my spoon tutorial which touches up on every single point above, too....... Hope it helps, and job well done so soon in!

zen-mom
2012-05-14, 5:56pm

^^^ Thats my spoon tutorial which touches up on every single point above, too....... Hope it helps, and job well done so soon in!

What's the tool at the end of part 2, looks like a mashers with tiny oven mitts? I think I like that idea better than hot fingers.

James Lewis
2012-05-14, 7:26pm
Thank you for the compliments on the sale it acutally helps me be alittle more inspired with pipe work and figuring out some ideas for basic prodo spoons and bubs they asked for me to do some steam rollers too gonna try that as well one question can you used a utility knife to cut tubing? Beads gone wild have you ever tried condensing the tube and color down to a cone like shape with a rounded bottom? Its actually a really good base form for doing good sized spoons on and allow you to do some really cool looking stringer and cane applications on them.

James Lewis
2012-05-14, 7:26pm
What color is that by the way?

Beadz Gone Wild
2012-05-15, 4:56am
Thanks for the critique. All noted and will adjust accordingly. I'm a little confused about the lefty comment though. All the spoons I've ever owned have all had the carb on that side..........James your comment about condensing tube and color down to a cone shape - not sure what you mean - I haven't been doing this long and don't have anyone close that can help with pointers or guidance. As far as the color it's GA Peacock (I love this color). Well this weekend is definitely back to the drawing board but with some direction from you guys. Thanks.

Bunyip
2012-05-15, 5:51am
I forgot to say this:Your pipe looks very nice, I would have figured you'd made at least a hundred based on the shaping & over-all polished look.

For a right-hander, the carb is typically on the left hand side of the bowl when you are using the piece. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' - just preferences. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to use one of those types of devices, I would cover the carb with the thumb of my left hand.

Good point about why the carb needs to be larger than bowl.

Something else I noticed, from the bowl to the maria seems to be really thick, but "below" the maria the stem seems to be less sturdy, and the frit very spread out. Not necessarily wrong if that's what you were going for but if not, it's something to be aware of.

LePatron
2012-05-15, 9:31am
What's the tool at the end of part 2, looks like a mashers with tiny oven mitts? I think I like that idea better than hot fingers.

Those are standard cheapy bbq tongs, with kevlar wrapped around them. I bought it on eBay for $15. I strongly dislike hot fingers but they do have their uses....... I think most are just designed wrong with the metal stabbing the glass and scratching it.........

Jngljnke
2012-05-15, 9:53am
When I'm melting stuff in I usually condense the mouthpiece down to it's final diameter. This leaves me with a hot air balloon shaped bulb on the end of a blow pole. Could be what James meant.

zen-mom
2012-05-15, 12:16pm
Those are standard cheapy bbq tongs, with kevlar wrapped around them. I bought it on eBay for $15. I strongly dislike hot fingers but they do have their uses....... I think most are just designed wrong with the metal stabbing the glass and scratching it.........

Awesome! Thanks! =) I have joint issues in my thumb to wrist area and it's really hard for me to work the sliding thing on the hot fingers as well at the the little screw... this is perfect for me!

zen-mom
2012-05-15, 1:20pm
Yay! Just bought the kevlar on Ebay and I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that the giant 99cent store across the street from my shop will have the bbq tongs. Thank you LePatron!

James Lewis
2012-05-15, 2:12pm
The shape i use is a bit more stretched out and looks like a ice cream cone

James Lewis
2012-05-15, 6:00pm
Heres a piece i made with my condensing method

Jngljnke
2012-05-15, 9:34pm
Nice. You're you seem to be getting better, what kind of block are you hitting?

Jngljnke
2012-05-16, 1:05am
I'll have a spot at the Bomdiggidy studio (Katy, TX) for a while in exchange for some plumbing work I'm doing for a buddy. He conveniently owns a shop in the same strip center and is who I buy my glass from. It works out well for everyone. It was more of the tap the sewer and run underground plumbing for his garage/one bedroom apartment conversion than the leaky faucet type of plumbing. Twenty feet for water and sewer, in the baked in South East Texas clay. Think 90 percent humidity with off and on rain. Hard ass sun when it wasn't raining. It didn't start raining until after the trenches were dug. Still worth it to me.

I'll be working around Ogie Iriesun from Team I Hate Your Face. He is the man in black of the two making this heady ass bub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y8hvlDOTnc&feature=relmfu ,and the man that made this wine goblet for my wife's Mother's Day present. This was a hard piece to to photo.

I've been off the torch for a week doing this now, but will be finished tomorrow. To say I'm behind on my production work would be an understatement.

I have worked by myself for almost two years now. Can't wait to be around other people again while I'm working .

Jngljnke
2012-05-16, 1:20am
Also, I had problems with that yellow, blue, and orange blow in from earlier post. I got frustrated and annealed it at that point. Even after I let it sit a few days and then came back, I couldn't get past the uneven wall thickness from a poorly done blow in. I wound up drowning it.

James Lewis
2012-05-16, 2:26pm
Thats a awesome goblet and im not really sure Anymore what the blockage was

Jngljnke
2012-05-16, 6:56pm
I was happy with the job he did on the goblet. My wife loved it. Good to hear your Muse came back.

James Lewis
2012-05-16, 8:09pm
Thank now if only i could have the energy

Jngljnke
2012-05-22, 2:50am
This was the best pic I got.

The man that made this leaning toward the dark side. He has never worked with color. He has no idea how compression or implosion work. We are about to have a great relationship.

You were correct if you guessed one of those connections are threaded. Yes, threaded.

deb tarry
2012-05-22, 5:50am
Holy! Gary are you going to be able to work with this fellow? That is amazing.

James Lewis
2012-05-22, 7:35am
My god and everything that is holy how the hell did he make them threaded? Thats insane.
On a litter note what is it about glass that makes everyone want to work with it?

Jngljnke
2012-05-22, 3:21pm
There is a mold for the threads. He said he can cut them also. I'll be working wit him in the near future. If you have never been to scientific studio, find one. They were talking about making a 10 liter flask. This little guy is what they were working on yesterday.

I'm set up at Bomdiggidy in Katy, TX. Team I Hate Your Face is in town. I'm learning tons of stuff, just need to practice.

Jngljnke
2012-05-23, 11:27am

alb6094
2012-05-23, 12:00pm
There is a mold for the threads. He said he can cut them also. I'll be working wit him in the near future. If you have never been to scientific studio, find one. They were talking about making a 10 liter flask. This little guy is what they were working on yesterday.

I'm set up at Bomdiggidy in Katy, TX. Team I Hate Your Face is in town. I'm learning tons of stuff, just need to practice.

Gary, the art on that sign looks like what Acro has on a wall in one of his you tube videos, let's seeee............here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkBy3AJ3o0k

It's at 20.

Same artist? I really like that.

OK, lol, if I would read even. Same team. :roll: Ah well, I just got up. I plead exhaustion as an excuse for idiocy. :lol:

Jngljnke
2012-05-24, 2:45pm
Being an idiot myself, I understand Astrid. Acro is buddies with Ogie. We're having open invitation collab event at Bomdiggidy in Katy, TX this weekend. Just bring your torch, tools, and glass. Free to anyone who shows up. Come one, come all.

alb6094
2012-05-24, 3:03pm
Being an idiot myself, I understand Astrid. Acro is buddies with Ogie. We're having open invitation collab event at Bomdiggidy in Katy, TX this weekend. Just bring your torch, tools, and glass. Free to anyone who shows up. Come one, come all.

Wow Gary, thanks so much for the invite. I'd love to come but my son is going through some stuff (long story and not something I can share) and I have to be here for him right now. You guys have fun though! I look forward to seeing what you do.

Jngljnke
2012-05-24, 3:57pm
I'll be posting pictures.

Jngljnke
2012-05-24, 3:58pm
If your ever in the area let me know.

alb6094
2012-05-24, 4:21pm
Good, I'll watch for them! If I get down that way I'll holla. :D

Jngljnke
2012-05-26, 3:04am
What a crazy day. It's going to be a fun weekend.

Bufo from Austin, TX. This guy puts on a show. I'll have to get video. He's pulling cane. The other punty is on the floor under his foot.

alb6094
2012-05-26, 9:31am
Nice work! Bufo looks like he's fun to watch.

LePatron
2012-05-26, 9:51am
Is that a Darth Vader mask?

Use the f'n force, man! :) :) :)

alb6094
2012-05-26, 11:07am
Is that a Darth Vader mask?

Use the f'n force, man! :) :) :)

:lol:

Jngljnke
2012-05-26, 8:06pm
Yes it is Le. With a hole drilled for his blow hose. He and his wife tag team headies while doing a couples break dance thing. I've never seen anything like it. This is their ride.

This is my reball prep for today. 50 mil heavy wall.

Jngljnke
2012-05-26, 11:10pm
I received an amazing gift. Team I Hate Your Face kills it.

Hand laid, fifty lines per ball. I'm starting to wonder if some of these guys are half wizard or something.

alb6094
2012-05-27, 2:32am
Beautiful beautiful work. You're a lucky guy!

Jngljnke
2012-05-27, 1:03pm
Trust me, I've been paying my dues. But I have been feeling lucky lately.

Jngljnke
2012-05-27, 4:21pm
Well, mostly lucky.

deb tarry
2012-05-27, 4:57pm
Owww.

alb6094
2012-05-27, 6:32pm
Owww.

What she said. You have my sympathies. I cooked the back of my left hand a few months ago.

Jngljnke
2012-05-28, 12:35pm
This is a collab I did with GlassManStudios while they are in town.

LePatron
2012-05-28, 3:54pm
Save that scab. I put mine in glass jars. When people I dont like come over, I feed it to them and tell em its beef jerky.

;)

mightymike
2012-05-29, 8:38am
mental note: if i ever visit LePatron dont eat anything...

Jngljnke
2012-05-29, 11:02am
I put mine in glass jars.

Jars? Plural? Did you work with Jim Rhodes in the past or something?

glassshack
2012-05-29, 12:39pm
Didn't read thru the entire thread but see where your heading 8)

www.talkglass.com

The above link is where you want to be for this type of market. See ya there 8)

Bunyip
2012-05-29, 1:12pm

Post # 2 covered that. Thank you for contributing. Come back real soon now! ;)

Beadz Gone Wild
2012-05-29, 3:59pm
Wow Gary - you are so lucky to have guys to colab with. I'm so far out in the boonies with no one close by to work with. I need a experienced boro buddy! I want to learn so much.

Jngljnke
2012-05-29, 7:17pm
Well Beads, if you ever find yourself down south.... Also, I haven't forgotten about your request. I'll get it done for you before too long. Ish.

Beadz Gone Wild
2012-05-30, 4:39am
No worries Gary..............love seeing what you are doing.

Jngljnke
2012-05-30, 9:50am
Not sure if I've mentioned this or not, forgive me if I have. This weekend is the Freepress Summerfest in Houston. Headliners include Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, Primus, Diplo..... Anyway, Bomdiggidy Smoke shop has a vendor tent next to the VIP area house right. We'll be out there blowing glass and what not. It's a two day event. If any of you Texas folks are coming out to the show come see us. Team I Hate Your Face will be presenting Willie with a super duper heady piece. Hope some of y'all come out.

Jngljnke
2012-05-30, 10:33pm
The mobile studio has some fresh paint on it. I'm a bit nervous about working in front of so many people this weekend, but I think I'll do ok.

deb tarry
2012-05-31, 8:02am
great paint.

Jngljnke
2012-05-31, 9:27am
The back is the best, but I don't know how to edit out the license plate. I am a cave man, your technology frightens me.

A local tattoo artist named Hector did the artwork for Matt.

Thanks Deb.

Role
2012-05-31, 2:50pm
The back is the best, but I don't know how to edit out the license plate.

Given the phone number is painted loud and clear on the side
I'm kinda thinking the plate number is not going to be an issue. ;)

But just out of curiosity, why would you not want the plate
posted ?

People blank out plates to hide their identity, which is somewhat
of a moot point with that trailer. :D

Bunyip
2012-05-31, 5:47pm
Photo editing isn't scary. Use microsoft paint

Jngljnke
2012-05-31, 5:49pm
Good point. I think I've mentioned I'm an idiot before.
I don't really have a good reason for liking the back the best, I just do.

alb6094
2012-06-01, 12:48am
Cool paint job! And meeting Willie, how cool is that?

Role
2012-06-01, 11:26am
Good point. I think I've mentioned I'm an idiot before.

LOL, you are not an idiot at all. :D
You are just being careful and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cool paint job.

What happened to Mr. Lewis ??? (OP)
We haven't seen any posts from him for a little while.

Jngljnke
2012-06-01, 12:21pm
Another good question.

James Lewis
2012-06-01, 1:43pm
Ive been lurking in the shadows i havent been at the torch for awhile so i havent really had anything for show and tell.

Jngljnke
2012-06-02, 8:08am
Some prodo spoons.

I know, I know. I need to work on shaping. It'll be cleaned up soon.

Jngljnke
2012-06-03, 12:26am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPoy0CjlSP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Our tent at Summer Fest in Houston.

angelique_redhead
2012-06-04, 3:14am
I only wish I hadn't had a previous commitment for almost a year to be somewhere else this past weekend. A Con. I would have loved to watch the glassblowing. :love: Angelique

Cosmo
2012-06-04, 8:58am
Photo editing isn't scary. Use microsoft paint

Uhhh.... yeah. And while you're at it, blow some glass using a bic lighter...

:D