Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Has any one used this frit maker?

Angie09
2012-05-28, 5:17am
Looks like I need to make my own frit once in a while and I know there is a thread showing how to make a frit masher with pipes ... but ... I found this last night and wonder if any one has one and what you think of it. It's from Devardi and looks like the same principle but just already made up. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Elizabeth Beads
2012-05-28, 6:15am
I make frit by heating up the glass in my kiln, then very carefully removing it with tongs and immersing it in ice water. It is very easy to crush any larger pieces left.

Angie09
2012-05-28, 6:20am
Elizabeth... what temp do you heat to?

Elizabeth Beads
2012-05-28, 6:27am
The hotter the better, but if going above the slumping point be sure to use kiln shelf paper. For small amounts of frit, melt a gather with your torch and plunge or let drop into clean ice water. Use a stainless steel bowl.

glass obsessed
2012-05-28, 6:35am
I have used something similar and was not please mostly because of the glass dust that is created. So unhealthy.

There is a new item just coming out that cuts the glass instead of crushing it. It is called the "Glass Eater" and I am thinking it will be much safer. One can pre-order the "Glass Eater" right now from Ed Hoy's. But I am not sure when it will actually arrive.

cgbeads
2012-05-28, 6:43am
I have one I bought from somewhere else (but can't remember where).
Hate it. The black paint chips off and is a problem getting out of the frit. You also get a magnet with it so you can remove the metal flakes (from the crusher) from the frit, annoying. Then there is the dust, but you'll get that with most crushing processes.

I'd also advise the water trick if your not going into full blown production mode. You can also just heat a blob in the flame and plunge it into a glass of ice water.

-D

tammydownunder
2012-05-28, 2:59pm
In addition to what the others are saying, I use my shorts to make frit. Then I sieve it using different size mesh. I find the brass mesh works great for #2 and a common tea strainer works for #1. That said, most of the commercial frit is usually 96 or 92 coe and that why you get the lovely reactions.

Angie09
2012-05-28, 5:03pm
The hotter the better, but if going above the slumping point be sure to use kiln shelf paper. For small amounts of frit, melt a gather with your torch and plunge or let drop into clean ice water. Use a stainless steel bowl.

Hey Elizabeth...why a stainless steel bowl? Would pewter bowls work?

Thanks for all the help!

Elizabeth Beads
2012-05-28, 6:33pm
Pewter would be fine. I should have been more clear. Ceramic should work too and probably even Pyrex. I just use stainless steel myself so that is what I typed.

Angie09
2012-05-29, 4:57am
OK ... guess I will forget the masher and get out the ice cubes and torch. You all saved me some money and it's greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to you all!!

Alaska
2012-05-29, 1:48pm
The Home Depot version.

FosterFire
2012-05-29, 3:40pm
I just heat a blob and drop it into water. Watch out for the steam though, it can burn you. I have used a metal frit masher made by Steinert and then a magnet to remove teeny metal pieces.

Angie09
2012-05-29, 4:03pm
Do you have a link to the Steinert one? I found their website but it doesn't seem to be working.

RSimmons
2012-05-29, 6:02pm
Try blowing a bubble on a small blowpipe like you would for making shards and then dipping it in water in a metal bowl while it's hot. You can make some very interesting frit this way without the dust of the 'pounding' systems.
Robert