Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Preserving flame colored copper?

scootrgrl
2012-07-09, 6:25pm
I was using carnauba car wax to seal the copper wire pieces after I flame colored and cooled them but I find that the fuschia color isn't as intense after using the carnauba wax.

Does the Renaissance wax preserve the color on flame colored copper?

Thanks,
Janet

RSimmons
2012-07-10, 5:57am
Try spraying it with a thin layer of clear acrylic on it. Most of the waxes are going to change the color.

Robert

jaci
2012-07-10, 7:12am
I think I remember reading a thread about this in the jewelry room. There was extensive reviews on different sealers vs color loss if I remember. It might have been part of another thread, maybe the prisymcolor copper thread had a link? ... Idk.

scootrgrl
2012-07-10, 7:16am
Thanks Robert, I will try that

Jaci, I will check out the jewelry room and see if I can search for it.

Thanks for the info!

Janet

kaliquen
2012-07-10, 9:53am
It's been years since I've posted but I'm getting back into glass and plan to be more active on the board :)

I do a lot of metalwork and flame painting copper and everything I've tried changes the color somewhat. I read somewhere that any time you put a clear coating on it it will change the light wavelengths and the reflecting colors will be slightly different (I probably got that wrong but you get the idea). I don't coat the things I make and really haven't noticed much of a change in color over time, it might be just a tiny bit darker.

Here's a link to my shop with a few of my copper pieces...
Obsess (http://hyenacart.com/stores/Obsess/index.php?c=21)

scootrgrl
2012-07-10, 5:07pm
It's been years since I've posted but I'm getting back into glass and plan to be more active on the board :)

I do a lot of metalwork and flame painting copper and everything I've tried changes the color somewhat. I read somewhere that any time you put a clear coating on it it will change the light wavelengths and the reflecting colors will be slightly different (I probably got that wrong but you get the idea). I don't coat the things I make and really haven't noticed much of a change in color over time, it might be just a tiny bit darker.

Here's a link to my shop with a few of my copper pieces...
Obsess (http://hyenacart.com/stores/Obsess/index.php?c=21)

Wow...fantastic colors on your copper!

So I should just leave it alone then? I got some nice bright pinks, reds and oranges on one of my pendants and I really don't want to put anything on it.

Thanks,
Janet

Jayne
2012-07-10, 5:39pm
What Kristin said. I've gotten some eye-popping colors only to lose them to sealers. Also, you may lose the beautiful colors if you even have hand lotion on your hands and you touch the colored surface. If I'm going to sell a jewelry piece, I'll use alternate methods of coloring the copper that can be sealed, so the piece can be handled without worry. Here's a thread about copper & sealers...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184351

scootrgrl
2012-07-10, 7:09pm
What Kristin said. I've gotten some eye-popping colors only to lose them to sealers. Also, you may lose the beautiful colors if you even have hand lotion on your hands and you touch the colored surface. If I'm going to sell a jewelry piece, I'll use alternate methods of coloring the copper that can be sealed, so the piece can be handled without worry. Here's a thread about copper & sealers...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184351

Thanks Jayne...I remember that thread now, I even commented on it...doh! But that was last year...I barely remember yesterday...LOL

I may try some spray laquer...lightly applied and see if that works. The prismacolor looks interesting but labour intensive!

Janet

Jayne
2012-07-10, 7:25pm
The spray lacquer may change it, too. I tried thin layers, but by the time I made it to the 3rd layer the colors were changing :-( ...I wanted to make sure I got full coverage; maybe I was too heavy handed. Maybe you'll have better luck!

I tried the Prismacolor thing once and hated it. Alcohol inks and gilder's paste work much better!

kaliquen
2012-07-11, 6:02pm
Spray lacquer changed my colors, as did nail polish, resin, and wax. I've also read that the color is itself a layer of patina so it won't tarnish like normal.