Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Gun Mounts...

rusticstudio
2006-05-26, 11:41am
what are they?

suzanne
2006-05-26, 11:46am
well we are having a vibrant discussion about them as we speak in the borobox topic... I have no clue either:D
Something out of an old tv

baylie
2006-05-26, 12:00pm
They are cathode ray gun mounts. Boro compatible, and in colors available nowhere else. Alot of them just bleach out to off white if over heated, If used properly they kick much as$

dogmaw
2006-05-26, 12:19pm
I got to see Smiley use some at the class a couple of weeks ago. The color ROCKS! He encased a pink one in some seeded pink and made a heart. Talk about droolworthy.

rusticstudio
2006-05-26, 1:38pm
How about some pictures? Why are they "gun" mounts?

suzanne
2006-05-26, 1:55pm
I wanna see too!!!!

dogmaw
2006-05-26, 2:02pm
Because they were used to mount the cathode ray gun in the old style tvs. (see Baylie, you are ignored. :)) I don't have any myself, but maybe Smiley will step in with some picts.

nagibeads
2006-05-26, 7:31pm
how old does the TV need to be? My dad has an old B&W tv from the 60's that he never threw away.....will that one have it or does it have to be color? what does the gun mount look like? If it is anything like Colormax pistachio poor dad will have to give up that old box!

baylie
2006-05-27, 2:42am
There are some pics around, I'll take some pics if they don't turn up.
Dogmaw, I am a father to a few girls I am used to being ignored.HEHE

Juln
2006-05-27, 10:42am
I think an old TV would have like one rod inside it... I don't know if it would be worth disassembling it.
There was someone on another forum that did that sometime and they weren't very excited.
Also, theres no guarantee the rod you took out would be boro compatible. There were a ton of different gun mounts made, color coded for different manufacturers and they didn't pay much attention to making the rods compatible with each other for glassblowing.
I've never tried Pistachio... hmmph, so I can't say, but my impression is that color is a creamy 'real' glass.
Gunmounts are like Aardvark/Elan/Borostix or the legendary 'White Dwarf' - they're a little grainy, having been made by compressing powder and sintering rather than actual furnace style.

rusticstudio
2006-05-27, 11:47am
I wasn't ignoring you Baylie, I just didn't know that cathode ray thingies were guns. I'm electronically challenged.

They sound cool. I still wanna see pics!

nagibeads
2006-05-27, 12:44pm
thanks juln-
dad can rest easy LOL!

baylie
2006-05-27, 2:42pm
I would suggest STRONGLY AGAINST ever opening a T.V. EVER.
A single mistake and yer DEAD!!!! A television, even having been unpluged for years can kill you with the juice stored in various resistors and capicitors. Your life is worth more than a itty bit of glass. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OPEN A TELEVISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!
Think about what would happen if you touched yer kiln coil and multiply that tenfold.

Juln
2006-05-27, 10:27pm
Yeah, that too...

nagibeads
2006-05-30, 12:59pm
wow-
thanks for the warning on the TV and kiln coil....good info.

smutboy420
2006-05-31, 6:56am
Yes a tv can hold serious amounts of electric in the capicitors. like in the order of 10,000 volts with a good amount of amprage too. like baylie said they can still hold it for many many years after being un pluged.

Not worth it at all to pull out ones that are aready in a tv .They are only a few grams of glass each and there are only 1-3 of the mounts in a tv.
about enough for one stringer of color from each mount. (cept the white its worth risking your life for almost.)
The best ones to get if you can get them is to find someone that has a grip of them that have never been put in to tv's.
when they stoped useing them in TV's there where still tons and tons of them that got made and never made it in to any thing. there is a guy that goes by the screen name jayglass that at one time had a shed full of them. I know the white is all gone. but he might still have a butt load of other colors
pale yellow,pink,pistasieo,brown,black,gray,lapis blue. the pink is awesome and the pistasieo is awesome. the white if you can get it is worth killing for.

Gunmounts are like Aardvark/Elan/Borostix or the legendary 'White Dwarf' - they're a little grainy, having been made by compressing powder and sintering rather than actual furnace style.
No they are nothing like Aardvark/Elan/Borostix. They have no grainyness to them at all and are actully like butter cream or smooth as a babies ass.
like the the legendary 'White Dwarf' infact the original white dwarf sticks where for making the gun mounts. The original original white dwarf. is the best white there ever was and ever will be.Weather its from a 6 inch square stick or a gun mount.. Nothing compairs to it. it has no sandy grainyness to it whats so ever.

Original corring white dwarf. can't be compaired to Aardvark/Elan/Borostix.
there are no where the same. cept the length of the sticks is about the only thing that is the same. and they are both pressed glass but 2 difrent ways of doing it.
the orignal corring ones where made from pressed full colored glass. the Aardvark/Elan/Borostix are pressed out of coated glass. (clear sphears of glass coated in a color layer then pressed together.)
thats where all the grainess comes from.
the original ones where just powdered colored glass fused in to one pcs.

baylie
2006-05-31, 6:03pm
Not worth it at all to pull out ones that are aready in a tv .They are only a few grams of glass each and there are only 1-3 of the mounts in a tv.
about enough for one stringer of color from each mount. (cept the white its worth risking your life for almost.)
I know the white is all gone. but he might still have a butt load of other colors
pale yellow,pink,pistasieo,brown,black,gray,lapis blue. the pink is awesome and the pistasieo is awesome. the white if you can get it is worth killing for.

Jayglass actually is who donated the gunmounts sitting on my bench right now. And some of them were WHITE!!! I am still scratching my head about what to do with them. It needs to be a very worthy project, and will probably include the 2 sticks of green dwarf I have managed not to use yet.
What would You suggest I make smut?

smutboy420
2006-06-01, 9:18am
He's still got some white????????
holly smokes. do you talk to him? if so tell that mofo to get in touch with me :-)

I am still scratching my head about what to do with them. It needs to be a very worthy project

The whites of certian eyes is the only thing I use them for and even one goes a long long way. When its just 2 dots of it being used. but because for some eyes no other white is quite right for some eyes. So being that it is scarse I don't use it for any thing else.
But I would love some for making some imperial storm troopers someday. But I also need a good darth vader Black.

baylie
2006-06-02, 11:46am
I talk to him on this board sometimes. The storm trooper sounds sweet!

suzanne
2006-06-02, 12:04pm
I am completely clueless:D

jayglass
2006-06-23, 1:41pm
Jayglass@baka.com

<J>

jayglass
2006-06-23, 1:51pm
I have been away on vacation.... too bad I missed out on this thread.... im back now... if anyone has any questions.... fire away !!!! <J>

suzanne
2006-06-23, 1:52pm
Hey Jay, welcome back:) .Do you happen to have pictures of this stuff??

Leanne
2006-12-17, 4:43am
bump yeah I wanna see pictures!!!

jwelsh
2006-12-17, 11:02am
jeff has gunmounts too. uses them all the time. he has blue, brown, green, pink... i will take a pic of them. trevsglass on ebay normally sells them.. that's where jeff buys his!