PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Harbor freight ventilator

Baywinger
2012-08-23, 6:29pm
any one use these?
8 inch ventilator
low 1400cfm
high 1589 cfm
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/ventilation-blowers/8-inch-portable-ventilator-97762.html
wondering how relaiable are they and do they really move that much air?
seems to cheep of a price to be a good fan

Alaska
2012-08-23, 8:18pm
One guide that can be used is to compare the HF fan with a Vortex. Take note of the CFM at various static pressures.

Have attached the data for the Vortex VTX-800 for comparison.

Baywinger
2012-08-23, 8:37pm
probably not a good sign that that info does not seem to be available for that fan

Dott
2012-08-24, 3:57am
May have to check the HF ventilator out as as I only have to move the "Bad Air" about 3 feet from my bench to the window.

Humble newbie
2012-08-24, 4:43am
I use it with a barley box and it passes the incense test even with the accordian hose you can get for it.

RSimmons
2012-08-24, 5:44am
These fans aren't designed to work well with ducting. A little static pressure will slow your air flow down a lot. I'd recommend a blower that is designed for the purpose.

Robert

cheng076
2012-08-24, 10:19am
There has been a bit of discussion on the Wet Canvas site some time ago regarding this fan and several people have used it. I don't recall the results, sorry. So I'll go with what Robert says but add that a lot depends on your circumstances and system design.

Baywinger
2012-08-24, 1:09pm
this is the fan that has been recomended to me by Ryan Teurffs who runs a local boro studio and supply shop
http://www.canfilters.com/max_fan_home.html
we will most likely go with the 10 inch model and thats what he reccomeds, I like them as he runs one for every station and he has 7 stations you cannot hear the fans and you cannot smell any type of torch exhaust at all. they are expensive so I was looking at the cheaper fan since we are setting up two seperate torching stations.
we do realize that it is best not to skimp on fans so the cheap fan is out Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice

Alaska
2012-08-24, 2:41pm
There is also the Soler Palau TD-250 in line fan (10 inch) that has a metal shell with aluminum fan blades with two speeds.

My concern is that it is rated for an air stream that should not exceed 140 F. Seems that a fan with plastic blades would have a lower operating temperature range.

An overall question would be what is the "normal" temperature for an air stream for lampworking? Is 140 F for a top end sufficient? Did no see any air stream data for the Vortex.

Baywinger
2012-08-24, 2:56pm
There is also the Soler Palau TD-250 in line fan (10 inch) that has a metal shell with aluminum fan blades with two speeds.

My concern is that it is rated for an air stream that should not exceed 140 F. Seems that a fan with plastic blades would have a lower operating temperature range.

An overall question would be what is the "normal" temperature for an air stream for lampworking? Is 140 F for a top end sufficient? Did no see any air stream data for the Vortex.

Well since he has used them in industrial lamp working facilities at one point having 50 lamp workers working at one time I would say they must be durable fans
Thats the can max fans not the cheap harbour freight fan

JoeDeM
2012-08-24, 3:22pm

I guess that depends on the torch, if you are running a Red Max/Red Rocket vs a Minor, I don't think most torches put out enough BTU's to make it an issue. But I do agree that the harbor fright fan is not very good. I personally use a 10" Vortex

Hayley
2012-08-24, 4:28pm
Morgan - I have the 10" CAN fan and it's not quiet. I think a lot depends on the placement and how long your ducting is. When we shortened the ducting by a couple of feet, it got a bit quieter.

Baywinger
2012-08-24, 4:36pm
Morgan - I have the 10" CAN fan and it's not quiet. I think a lot depends on the placement and how long your ducting is. When we shortened the ducting by a couple of feet, it got a bit quieter.

Ryan puts the fan inside a plastic tub filled with isulation to keep it quiet, he also mentioned one of the 7 he has is much noiser than the others so he added the muffler on to it

Hayley
2012-08-24, 4:55pm
Unfortunately we don't have room for added insulation. It's not that loud and we always have our ipod to diffuse the noise! :)

Alaska
2012-08-24, 5:21pm
Joe:

Yes, it would seem that a torch would have a very small foot print in regard to CFM. And mixing the air would substantially cool torch exhaust prior to hitting the fan. As a guess, a torch might put out .5 CFM (fuel plus oxygen) and in relation to 750 CFM that is a small percentage not taking into consideration BTU generation.

In regard to your 10 inch Vortex, how would you rate the amount of noise that it generates?

Baywinger
2012-08-24, 7:54pm
Joe:

Yes, it would seem that a torch would have a very small foot print in regard to CFM. And mixing the air would substantially cool torch exhaust prior to hitting the fan. As a guess, a torch might put out .5 CFM (fuel plus oxygen) and in relation to 750 CFM that is a small percentage not taking into consideration BTU generation.

In regard to your 10 inch Vortex, how would you rate the amount of noise that it generates?

yes please what is the noist level on the vortex?

JoeDeM
2012-08-25, 6:29am
The vortex is not that loud, but it's not silent, it's really the air being sucked in that's making all the noise, the 10" is rated at 790cfm, I was lucky and picked it up used from Craigslist. So far I've been really happy with it, I've had it for 8 years.

Ps they claim by adding a muffler, it can reduce the sound by 50%, also look at the 8" 747cfm , it's Easier to get duct for.

Pps I found an iPhone DB meter app, and it says 69db from 2 feet away, that's not bad.

Diane (clarus)
2012-08-26, 11:06am
Morgan, I have the 8" Vortex that is 747cfm in my studio. You will see it this week when you and Nikki come down here. It is not silent, but once I turn on the tunes you don't notice it.

Baywinger
2012-08-26, 12:20pm
Morgan, I have the 8" Vortex that is 747cfm in my studio. You will see it this week when you and Nikki come down here. It is not silent, but once I turn on the tunes you don't notice it.

great see you soon :-)