Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : For the New lampworkers

Abacus Beads
2012-10-15, 8:41pm
A few years ago I had to clean the bead release out of some crystal clear bead I had made. I ran out of my regular cleaner so put on my thinking cap. Since I use vinegar for my windows I just dumped a handfull of beads in a glass of vinegar, Mom called and when I got back to the beads the bead release had almost disolved out of the mandrel holes as if by magic. It only took a turn or two with my diamond drill to get it 100% out.
If you have transparent glass beads give it a try. I've even used it on beads I had made and cleaned with my regular old stuff and the vinegar leaned those as well
Liz R

ellabeads
2012-10-15, 9:32pm
Thanks for the tip, Liz!! I will give it a try.

Bead Trixx
2012-10-15, 9:34pm
Thank you!!

fyregallerie
2012-10-19, 3:44pm
Great Tip - ty ty

Eileen
2012-10-19, 3:48pm
Thanks! I'm curious on what your regular cleaner is too :D

echeveria
2012-10-19, 4:05pm
Doesn't vinegar remove reduction sheen though? I think you have to be careful using it, depending on the bead.

5betsy
2012-10-20, 7:51am
I am a transparent glass freak! Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to try it.

Ilene
2012-10-20, 8:50am
I wonder if it does that to our teeth. Hmmm, might limit that Italian dressing tonight.

Abacus Beads
2012-10-23, 7:48am
It doesn't seem to have any effect on the DH reduction glass I use. I've soaked the reduction glass beads in vinegar for 3-4 ndays at a time and it hasnt bothered the reduction in any way. I hate to clean the beads I make so sometimes it takes ma a few days to get to the ones I am soaking in vinegar.
Liz R

uncle louie
2012-10-28, 3:25pm
Thank you Liz, I've been having a heck of a time cleaning my transparent beads just tried the vinegar and it' great, thanks again.

flaming_fools
2012-10-28, 6:43pm
OK people, how long in the vinegar?

I have had to large focals soaking now for over 6 hours and have gotten a lot out with a stiff brush I have that fits in the 2.5 mm holes. But there is still a lot there.

Will this give a very clear core? Trying to avoid the 'etched' look that results from the dremel and diamond bit drill.