Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : vessel tutorial

cakey
2006-06-11, 3:03pm
Does anyone know of a vessell tutorial?
Not the blown kind. Is there any other kind?
Does anyone do the kind where you wind steelwool on the end of you mandrel?
Or how else can you o it?
Thanks
Cyndi

Tink
2006-06-11, 5:39pm
Core formed vessels, eh? You must have a ton of patience ;-) I'll hunt around online and see what I can find for you when I get back tonight.

Ok. Here is a link to get you started (http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/making_glass_core_vessels.html). It's from the Arrow Springs site.

Laurie L
2006-06-11, 5:48pm
I would love some quick tips on the blown kind. For example how do you wind the glass on the end of the pipe/ brass tube - is there a right or wrong way. When you start to blow what should you be doing to keep the glass warm ( if anything ). Once done how do you get the little "drop" at the end of the vessel like you show in the blue vessel in your siggy Tink ? What is the best way to form the handles.

Oh I would love a little tut on blown vessels. LOL

Tink
2006-06-11, 5:53pm
http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/jj/scentedglass.cfm

This is a good place to start. Blown vessels are made in much the same way. It's just that with tubing, you can introduce additional air into the form.

You get the little "drop" on the bottom by anchoring on to the hot bottom with a slightly cooler rod, pulling, then burning off.

It will all be in my book, if I ever get it finished. LOL!

DancingSalamander
2006-06-11, 5:58pm
Love this site. It gives history and shows with pictures how to make a core formed vessels. http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/nl7text.htm

Good luck
Stacia

tgslampwork
2006-06-11, 7:43pm
Acck - this is not the one I was looking for but after 40 minutes I am giving up. I know I have seen one with lots of pics...but cannot remember who had it!

http://www.inspirationfarm.com/GG/articles/article6.html

BoniBell
2006-06-11, 9:25pm
This is how I form a core vessel.
This only works with fpi bead seperator. Every other brand I have tried explodes on the second or third layer.
1/ Dip and flame dry a mandrel with a largish diameter.
2/ Dip mandrel into seperator again, but only dip to where you want the neck to end. I usually dip about 3/4 inch here. Flame dry again.
3/ Continue to dip and dry until you have made the core shape you want. By varying how much you dip you can control the shape, anything with a single curve (v shape, A shape, tear drop, bulb, etc).
TIPS
Try not to make more than about 5 layers total.
If you want a more complex shape, you can come to the next to last layer, let it cool! then use an emory board or small file and make the shape you want. Then dip your last time. If you sand the outside layer the hot glass won't stick to it very well.
4/ Make your vessel over this core.
5/ Fire it in your kiln just like a bead.
6/ To clean the bead seperator out of the corehole after you are done, use a dental tool and gently scrape, tap out powder, repeat. You may want to wear a respirator or work outdoors. Fpi seperator has silica in it and it comes out very finely powdered. It is very time consuming to clean out the vessel but this method has the advantage of not needing a drill to wind on the steel wool and not getting litlle bits of steel wool in your fingers. Be careful, try not to scratch the glass inside of the vessel while cleaning it, or it could crack. Before I had my kiln, when I was batch annealing I would try to clean them out before firing. But I lost a LOT lot lot of vessels to cracking, most of them from scratching the inside of the vessel. Sometimes because of bubbles in the glass body or too thin glass. You can only tell these after you examine the broken pieces.
Hope this helps. pm me or post reply if I didn't cover something clearly or you want more details.

Tink
2006-06-11, 9:29pm
The Crown Prince of Core Formed Vessels, in my humble opinion: Iwao Matsushima...
http://mostlyglass.com/Artists/matsushima/matsushima,_iwao.htm

Laurie L
2006-06-12, 12:23am
OMG those are amazing Tink !!!! I can see why you say he is the crown Prince.

Okay so in the link to lapidary journal it shows wrapping the glass on the mandrel to create the vessel.....I was told to blow the glass out thus forming the vessel shape....guess there are several ways to do it. Must be a PITA to get the bead release out of the one that wrapped on the madrel though. Any advice on blowing ?

BarbFaughn
2006-06-12, 5:41am
Cyndi,

Jodi and Mark Henry make beautiful vessels like you were asking about. Jodi also has a wonderful tutorial on her website located at:

http://www.beadworx.com/HowToMakeAVessel.html

(I hope this link works...I've never inserted one before)...if not...just go to her website at www.beadworx.com and click on "About Lampwork." She has some tutorials listed to include "How to Make a Vessel" complete with step by step instructions and photos.

Jodi is fabulous and was the first person who encouraged me to give lampworking a try. Thanks Jodi!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Blessings,

BoniBell
2006-06-12, 6:11am
That Iwao Matsushima is amazing. Straight to the top of my favorites list. Gaspingly beautiful. Great way to start the day.

Tink
2006-06-12, 6:31am
John and I have had the pleasure of watching him work. It was astounding. Days and days and days of work in ONE piece.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Now THAT'S core forming! LOL!

cakey
2006-06-12, 7:45am
Hey everybody, Thank you so much for all your help! In the last year I've always been able to turn to you guys here to help me out in "quest" to be come a lampworker! You are all great people,I'm always amazed at how much everyone is willing to share!
Thanks
Cyndi

Laurie L
2006-06-12, 4:20pm
Gosh to watch him work yet - WOW, that would be pure joy. I bookmarked that site for future drooling sessions. LOL.

Jacky67
2006-06-17, 9:10am
Wow I've been facinated by Vessels since I started beadmaking in March this year this is a lot of info thanks very very much I'm certainly going to try some of the techniques but first have to practice beads this is still a bit out of my league

Jacky

pierces*designs
2006-06-18, 1:54pm
Thanks
Cyndi

I took a class on the steelwool kind with Sue Elgar and I couldn't stop laughing when the steel wool caught fire and I was holding onto a makeshift torch. Awful hard to wrap glass around something that is shooting sparks and flames at you.

They are a major pain to clean out too, so I decided I wasn't going to bother with them. I still learned tons and had a great time anyway!

Dasi
2006-06-20, 4:33am
I make beads that are vessel shaped. Are you interested in these types of vessel beads?

I have made them on the end of a mandrel also so that there is a hole on only at the top. I found they sell much better with a hole down the middle.

I am travelling currently, but if this is what you are interested in, I would be happy to do a tutorial after I get home. I plan to be home the day after the gathering.

BoniBell
2006-06-20, 9:11am
Those are very nice vessels. Are they all vessel shaped beads with the hole all the way through? Or are some of them formed with just a top opening?

Do you ever give them handles? How do you clean them out? I guess what I'm saying is, a tutorial would be great, whenever it is convenient for you.

I know cakey started this thread, but we are all enjoying the various vessels. They are such a wonderful art form.

Dasi
2006-06-20, 9:46am
My vessels are beads. The hole goes down the middle. I make them off the end of a mandrel but I like mine better with the hole going all the way through. Yes, I have done handles on some.
I am on the road with out my torch and camera. I can do a tutorial if you like when I get home from the gathering.

dgg112
2006-06-21, 6:29am
My vessels are beads. The hole goes down the middle. I make them off the end of a mandrel but I like mine better with the hole going all the way through. Yes, I have done handles on some.
I am on the road with out my torch and camera. I can do a tutorial if you like when I get home from the gathering.

OMG Heather those are gorgeous. I assume that's Kronos you've got on there and it's beautiful!! So you're on the road huh???? anywhere near Tx??? lol
Yes please a tutorial on the vessels AND the kronos!!!

TINK you're writing a book??? How fantastic!!! Hurry up girl!!!! :0)

amberbryant1
2006-06-21, 7:49am
http://31758

Here is what you've all inspired me to do. I only burnt one finger! I am so proud of it! Now I MUST get a dimond bit for my dremel! Thank you for the inspiration!

Rose Leslie
2006-06-21, 8:58am
Beautiful sites on the formed beads and bottles and glass. All of it is just WOW to say the least. Thanks Tink for all the information. Will try it one of these days. Thanks to all the others also. Have also book marked the information.

pambead
2006-06-21, 10:52am
Hi Cyndi
I make a lot of vessels but don't have a tutorial. You can use any steel wool dipped into bead release to forma core vessel. Of course you can blow them and I do a combo of all of the above depending onthe type. It's hard to describe the process in writing(for me anyway). I do teach locally and just taught a vessel class at B&B I hope to do the same next year. If you have particular questions just private email me and I'll try to help
Pam

pambead
2006-06-21, 10:56am
Hi Cyndi
i make a lot of vessels and use all types of centers. Blown..sludged and just built.
I taught a vessel class last week at B&B and hope to do the same next year. I also teach in my home studio. I don't have a tutorial but if you email with particular problems I'll try to help as best i can.
Vessels can be tricky. I suggest trying to find a good teacher in your area.
Pam

pambead
2006-06-21, 10:58am
Hi Cyndi
The system keeps saying my message is too short and won't send it! I'll try one more time..so just write me privately and I'll try to help.
Pam

Nonie
2006-06-21, 6:59pm
I luuuuv making core vessels. I use a large sized mandrel dipped a few times .
What I wanted to tell you is ...after you clean your vessel out as much as you can you can also give it a soak in Vinegar. Then clean again. Works great for me. Q-tips work great to for the final cleaning.
Good Luck and have fun.

BoniBell
2006-06-24, 8:19pm
You say blown, sludged and just built. I understand blown. I've blown a few. My problem with them is to be short enough to fit in my kiln I end up with burnt fingers or lips, lol.

What is "sludged?" Is it like when I build up a core of bead release? Or can I use something other than bead release without using steelwool? I really hate steel wool in my fingers.

But there has to be something easier to clean out than hard baked bead release. (As long as that something isn't dung like the history books say the Ancient Egyptians used, lol)

There are no teachers near me. Or I would be there constantly.

Last question for now. What is "just built"?

rachelle
2006-06-25, 11:59am
Hi Cyndi! I love making vessels by making a hollow bead ( building 2 disks )near the end of the mandrel, then adding more glass to close up the hole. These are some examples of this type of vessel.I hope this helps!
Rachelle.

Jacky67
2006-07-02, 1:10pm
Hi Cyndi! I love making vessels by making a hollow bead ( building 2 disks )near the end of the mandrel, then adding more glass to close up the hole. These are some examples of this type of vessel.I hope this helps!
Rachelle.

thas an good idea why didn't I think of that thanks Rachelle!

Jacky

Laurie L
2006-07-02, 1:15pm
Beautiful vessells Rachelle.

heidz
2009-01-31, 9:19pm
hi I am new to lampworking, but i was wondering if you would post a tut on your vessels??????

theglasszone
2009-01-31, 10:39pm
Hi Heidz...welcome to LE!!!! There are several books that offer basic vessel-making information - the one I have is called "Glass Bead Workshop" by Jeri L. Warhaftig. I was directed to it by MaryBeth here on LE after I posted a request for a vessel tutorial myself recently - here's the link to that thread so you can see what transpired:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113879&highlight=vessel

I think there may be upcoming tutorial(s) on making vessels soon - so stay tuned!!!! I'm in the same boat as you, sweetie!

And Rachelle - those vessels of yours are absolutely stunning!!!! I so wish I could find someone close who is either offering a group or one-on-one class! I'd love to see this being done up close and personal!

Good luck to all!
De in CA

SunDoorBeads
2009-02-01, 10:20am
I know the original poster talked about core-formed vessels but I bought SLCuniques tutorial on the "pleated vessel" and it is so well written that anyone can do it. I don't do boro so she suggests other ways but she says the techniques are for hard and soft glass. I bought her tut on Etsy check it out it is great. If I can find the link I will post it!

SunDoorBeads
2009-02-01, 10:23am
Okay here is the link
http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=pleated+vessel+tutorial
hope it works try cutting and pasting if it doesn't!!!!
I will try and post pics of mine when I get some decent ones to show

Oblong
2009-02-03, 6:01am
I make my vessels on the end of the mandrel and seem to get so many questions about how they are made that I wrote a blog post about it some time ago.
If you're interested, it's here (http://torchsongstudio.blogspot.com/2007/07/making-vessel.html).

LDowdle
2009-02-03, 6:37am
Hi. .I hope is it okay to post a pic in here.. ?

I make mine on the end of a large mandrel too. I have inserted a picture. Maryanne , your tut is amazing. Wow.

theglasszone
2009-02-03, 10:27am
Here's a link to Jaci's tutorial on her webpage! Isn't her work wonderful? I just love it...I've GOTTA get my set up going and give this a try:

http://www.fireglassbeads.com/pages/tutorials.php

De

slcuniques
2009-02-14, 6:02pm
Hey! Thanks Michelle.. My tut link is in my siggy line.
However, I do not use mandrels to make my vessels. I use tubing. For soft glass tubing, www.morettiandmore.com carries 104 tubing.:waving: Off mandrel vessels are really easy using tubing.

I know the original poster talked about core-formed vessels but I bought SLCuniques tutorial on the "pleated vessel" and it is so well written that anyone can do it. I don't do boro so she suggests other ways but she says the techniques are for hard and soft glass. I bought her tut on Etsy check it out it is great. If I can find the link I will post it!

perlienne
2009-02-15, 3:07am
ok... and who is gonna wipe all that drooling from my desk now????

such beautiful vessels in here, I am in stuck in admiration!!!
thanks for sharing these great examples everyone!

this is a little vessel done on a thick mandrel (I think around 8mm diameter). I used half of a pharmacy cork to close it
"winter konzentrat"

LDowdle
2009-02-15, 3:29am
That is just gorgeous Fabienne :)

perlienne
2009-02-15, 10:35am
oh thank you Lorraine (blushing and happy)
:kiss:
I especially admired the work you put on the lid of yours (and of course I drooled over the whole thing, dichroic, in pink, gasp!!) ;-)

Fine Folly Glassworks
2010-10-09, 5:00am
I would love some quick tips on the blown kind. For example how do you wind the glass on the end of the pipe/ brass tube - is there a right or wrong way. When you start to blow what should you be doing to keep the glass warm ( if anything ). Once done how do you get the little "drop" at the end of the vessel like you show in the blue vessel in your siggy Tink ? What is the best way to form the handles.

Oh I would love a little tut on blown vessels. LOL

There must be a zillion ways to blow a vessel on a hollow mandrel, but this is one simple way!

With this one I wrapped a flat mouth to start the Vessel on the end of the Vessel Mandrel, and then began to build a hollow bead out over the end of the Vessel Mandrel - going from left to right.

Once I had the hollow bubble coiled and made sure there were no holes in the coils, I blocked the end of the mandrel and began to gently heat to smooth and round the hollow out. If you don't block the end the air in the tube makes it easier for your hollow to collapse.

After the hollow was smoothed out, I turned the mandrel end to my mouth and rolled the hollow above the flame to warm it uniformly as I gently blew. If you over expand it it will pop. Just a slight increase and rounding is what I could get. If you pop it you may be able to apply molten glass to repair it.

After it was blown I kept the Vessel Mandrel hole covered as I let the hollow cool a bit and solidify, and then decorated it. I used a stiff green transparent glass and decorated with encased goldstone stringer.

Once done, I added a dot of green on the bottom of the hollow and then a dot of the goldstone to finish the bottom. I then added a round of green around the top of the flat rim to make the lip pronounced. Then I added goldstone dots to the rim for the final details. I found that adding the lip at the start meant it might shatter because it gets to cool as I worked with the hollow. Adding the lip at the end worked out fine.

I hope that helps a bit.

Fine Folly Glassworks
2010-10-09, 5:12am
Thanks
Cyndi

217475 217549

For these vessels I use a Pandora sized mandrel. You just heat the mandrel very well, and then wrap your vessel as short or long as you want it to be and decorate it. Your inside chamber will be the width of the mandrel, which is good sized and can be measured for a cork if you like.

If you want the oval shape, then build up the glass in the center or the end and heat/smooth it before decorating. I add the built-up rim last to keep it from cooling and cracking.

Maybe others can say how they do it differently, but this is a very simple way.

carrieb
2010-10-09, 6:29am
I haven't played around with making vessels for a long time. I found an inexpensive source for blow tube type of mandrels. I went to an auto parts store, purchased brake lines for around $5 and used my tube cutter to cut them in half. I would dip the end in bead release and hang them to dry until I was read to use them. They worked like a charm. CarrieB

Fine Folly Glassworks
2010-10-09, 6:58am
What a neat idea. I got my flared Vessel Mandrel from the Devardi Glass site. It is heavy to use but it has the cone shaped end of the mandrel. It's at the bottom of the page on this link. They offer the "STAINLESS STEEL THIN WALL TUBE MANDRELS AND PIPES" too.

http://www.devardiglass.com/mandrels.htm

slcuniques
2010-10-09, 10:13pm
My Etsy shop is empty now. I've taken everything down but you can get my Tutorials on my website. I'm phasing Etsy out.

BeadIt
2010-10-11, 12:04pm
I have a book in which Barbara Becker Simon (www.bbsimon.com) shows how to make vessels with steel wool on a standard mandrel. Unfortunately, my book is up north--and I'm not. If I remember correctly, a number of artists contributed techniques in the book. Maybe someone can chime in or you can probably reach Barbara through her web site.

Fine Folly Glassworks
2010-10-11, 12:35pm
Can someone tell me, when you make a vessel over steel wool and bead release, how do you clean the bead release out of the inner curve of the vessel?

Cosmo
2010-10-11, 12:53pm
I make this style vessel.

http://www.cosmoglassworks.com/images/IMG_29997.JPG

May be a little big to wear though. However the techniques involved are pretty much the same as for a vessel to wear...

bshelle
2010-10-11, 1:03pm
Can someone tell me, when you make a vessel over steel wool and bead release, how do you clean the bead release out of the inner curve of the vessel?

Baking soda and vinegar?
A sonic cleaner?
Tiny, swarming nanobots?

Cosmo
2010-10-12, 7:40am
A wire brush would probably work as well...

mad hatter
2010-10-16, 4:45pm
I make them with bigger mouths, then I just use a dremel tool to clean them.

Pia Kaven
2010-10-16, 6:59pm
http://www.jewelryartistmagazine.com/stepbystep/scentedglass.cfm
this is a tut that I found from the lapidary journal... I had hard time blowing the vessel, so maybe this hollow technique will help.