Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : torch fuels

mikestuart282
2013-09-07, 10:35am
Has anybody ever used hydrogen as a fuel gas? I know propane is usually used but I saw light bulbs being made and a hydrogen flame was used because it burned cleanly and at high temperatures. Aside from that it only emits water vapor as a waste gas so the fumes are limited to only what is released from the glass so I guess my question is how come nobody has ever used it? Is it just the explosive nature of hydrogen that turns people away? Or do no torch manufacturers make a torch capable of using it?
-mike

istandalone24/7
2013-09-07, 11:05am
hydrogen is mainly used in the scientific quartz blowing applications. and using H for fuel comes with it's own set of risks. for one, the flame is almost impossible to see. i think the torch has to be H specific too, like Herbert Arnolds.

kbinkster
2013-09-07, 12:15pm
Hydrogen is commonly used in scientific shops, mainly for working quartz. It is very dangerous to use because it is odorless (meaning you would never smell a leak), highly flammable and explosive, and the flame without oxygen is invisible (with oxygen, it can be green to purple in color).

Most torches can use it. With HA torches, you have to use the model specifically ported and tuned for the fuel you plan to use (be it hydrogen, propane, or natural gas) because the porting and tuning is preset at the factory.

jaci
2013-09-07, 1:52pm
Other that prop/oxy torches...
A single fuel torch can be run on propane, MAPP, proplyene, or any other cleaner brazen fuel. Iade friends with the guys at the aortas shop locally and they helped a great deal. Any way you go, you won't get the same results with a small 1lb tank than you will with a big tank, 7lbs ish. Bulk tanks give you a much better IMO and true experience with there working capabilities.