Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Encasing red with clear - help!

CLabora
2015-06-25, 9:44am
I apologize if there already is a thread about this, but I could not find it.

Somewhere I read a tip from Patricia Frantz on how to successfully encase red opaques.

Anyone out there that can advise? It was something about putting a base bead of ?? On the mandrel before adding the red, then clear encase.

Any help is appreciated!

shawnette
2015-06-25, 10:29am
Base of clear.

KJohn
2015-06-25, 10:34am
Yes, good memory! You should use a base bead/core of clear. It can be thin but not too thin. Good also for other tricky-to-encase colors. I recently did a whole set of encased yellow, oranges and reds this way.

jaci
2015-06-25, 9:00pm
I love encasing dark red and red purple with cirrus, or any of the cim moonstones. Works like a charm every time, and with amazing effects and results!!! Some of my alltime fav beads, and I don't even really like red!

If you don't want to make a core, or by design it's not an option: There is usually a batch of not cloudy at all cirrus someone wants to get off their hands. I'm sure can work wonders for you if you need it more crystal clear-ish looking too.

CLabora
2015-06-27, 9:45am
Thank you so much! I love red encased an my last try they all cracked, but I remember I was able to do it at one point!
I will also try the cirrus, never tried it!

KJohn
2015-06-27, 8:52pm
Curious if CIM Marshmallow would work? I have a bit of that.

truegem
2015-06-28, 5:48am
So if you encase with Cirrus, do you use Cirrus for the core?

BTW, I never knew this. I always thought you just plain don't encase red, period. Wow! So much potential!

truegem
2015-06-29, 12:20am
Is it totally ok to encase transparent red? I mean, do you need the core of clear first?

knittyditty
2015-06-29, 3:39am
I love encasing dark red and red purple with cirrus, or any of the cim moonstones. Works like a charm every time, and with amazing effects and results!!! Some of my alltime fav beads, and I don't even really like red!

If you don't want to make a core, or by design it's not an option: There is usually a batch of not cloudy at all cirrus someone wants to get off their hands. I'm sure can work wonders for you if you need it more crystal clear-ish looking too.

Could you post a pic of these reactions? I'm curious.....

EchoTantuli
2015-07-01, 2:56pm
If you have really troublesome colors that don't want to be encased and they are very saturated like a lot of the reds are ... and even clear coring didn't work ...you can mix clear with the color and apply it over a clear core... Candy Apple Red works well used this way... and it will work for some others too.

Ravenesque
2015-07-01, 11:37pm
I encase reds a lot, but I just made a bead with a CIM glass and it's slowly cracking from the inside out. I think it's Radio Flyer....I will check to be sure.

Curious if CIM Marshmallow would work? I have a bit of that.

I wouldn't, it's an opal glass (opalino).

jaci
2015-07-02, 6:23am
Could you post a pic of these reactions? I'm curious.....

They don't photograph well.. At all. http://www.fireglassbeads.com/2012/05/pictures.html?m=1

These were taken in 2012. I still have these beads, and they broke off my wrist once when I snagged them on something on a parking lot and were not broken then, and are still holding strong now. I can't part with them I love them so much!

EchoTantuli
2015-07-03, 2:02pm
Jaci is that Rubino encased in Cirrus or Clio? Rubino has been the biggest bear over the years for me to encase!

jaci
2015-07-04, 8:37am
Jaci is that Rubino encased in Cirrus or Clio? Rubino has been the biggest bear over the years for me to encase!

It's 438 I think red purple. But I would think it would work similarly. It's encased with cirrus. I did this in the pre Clio era... Lol

Katia
2015-07-04, 3:19pm
KJohn, try it, it should. There may be some issue around the holes - opaques may not want to spread as much as on top of stiff transparents, marshmallow is not soupy (not so stiff but stiff enough comparing to effetre white. And being white (on opal side of density after kiln) it keeps the upper colour without distortions. And it is not so reactive.

KJohn
2015-07-04, 3:58pm
Thanks Katia. I don't think it will be the same effect now that I've seen Jackie's pic, but it might be interesting :)

truegem
2015-07-04, 11:43pm
Does anyone know the answer to my transparent red question?

KJohn
2015-07-05, 12:13am
I would think transparent red can be encased just fine. Depends on the red, I suppose, but I've never heard about problems with that versus the opaques.

truegem
2015-07-05, 7:16am
Oh ok thank you!

Jupiter
2015-07-08, 1:29am
Patti, I encase transparent red all the time without any probem.

Khaleesi Dane
2015-07-25, 1:46am
Ok, can anyone explain to me the chemistry of why red glass is so hard to encase and keep its colors? I get brown mud color most times...

Sometimes, if I understand what the glass is doing I can make it work...

I have tried the core of clear, no better results,,, only red I can make work is Devardi, and it's more cranberry than red... Help!

truegem
2015-07-30, 1:46am
Is it ok to ask another red encasing question here? I don't want to start a whole new red thread. =)
What if I want to encase transparent red, but I want to put white under the red first? So, white, transparent red, then clear. Is this ok?
Thanks =)

shawnette
2015-07-30, 6:42am
Is it ok to ask another red encasing question here? I don't want to start a whole new red thread. =)
What if I want to encase transparent red, but I want to put white under the red first? So, white, transparent red, then clear. Is this ok?
Thanks =)

In theory, that should be fine. The purpose of encasing the clear is to make the amount of the incompatible glass less than the glass encasing it. To be safe, though, I would start with a clear base, encase that with a layer of white and then the layer of red before the final layer of clear.

Hayley
2015-07-30, 7:04am
Thanks =)

You should be fine, Patty. I have encased pretty much every 104 Coe transparent red without any issue.

truegem
2015-07-31, 12:33am
Ok thank you!

Mina
2017-04-29, 12:34pm
Just made this bead. Waiting to see how it holds up before I make it into jewelry. It has a clear base, then effetre light red, encased in CIM marshmallow.