Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : When making beads not on a chain....

Khaleesi Dane
2015-07-23, 5:36am
This is really a mandrel size question...

I recently tried to string one of my beads onto my favorite chain, and realized I would have to remove the end to do it!! Damn... I am not chopping apart my chain everytime I want to wear a new bead.... Also, I want to make my beads so I give them to family and friends, and eventually sell them sometime way down the road....so;

What size mandrel do you use when you are making beads for the general public to string on their own chains? Other than pandora sized?

Thanks so much for your input and advice on this!

shawnette
2015-07-23, 6:31am
A 3/32" will fit most 1-1.5mm chains that have an oval loop end. A 1/8" is a good size if you don't know what kind of chain they'll use.

Chocake
2015-07-23, 8:41am
Another option is to put them on a head pin and add a simple bail or jump ring to thread them through. Then you can use smaller mandrels without an issue.

ESC
2015-07-23, 9:32am
I use 1/8".

Khaleesi Dane
2015-07-23, 10:28am
I use 1/8".

Ok, no laughing now.. Please. 1/8 inch, what is that in mm? Is it close to 5/16 which is what I have some of? I am not seeing 1/8 mandrel a for sale... Who do you get them from?

Whoops.. Never mind, I found em! Odd, that's what I have been using,,,, guess I better get a new favorite chain...

ESC
2015-07-23, 2:07pm
If you have an Ace Hardware anywhere close, sometimes they will carry stainless steel tubing in larger diameters that work very well for making beads with larger inside diameter. Being a tube, they're a lot lighter than trying to make 1/8" with solid wire.

one hot beader
2015-07-24, 12:16am
Most chains will go through a 3/32 mandrel hole if you slightly squash the end loop into an oval with pliers.

A jumpring can make it easier to do up after that.

A slightly larger 3.2mm (5/32?)mandrel will fit most fine chains and neckrings without a problem.