Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : flashback arrestor

playswithfire104
2006-07-31, 8:42am
I read somewhere that you don't need a flashback arrestor if you have a certian kind of torch. I can't remember if it was premix or surface mix. I have a Lynx Which is that? Do I need a flashback arrestor?

Emily
2006-07-31, 9:21am
Lynx is surface mix, like most of the torches we use. There are people who say that flashback arrestors aren't necessary at all for surface mix torches. Vince Henley (one of the very opinionated safety gurus from the ISGB forum) was of the opinion that flashback arrestors weren't necessary for surface mix torches except in very unusual situations, but because he could imagine those unusual situations occurring, he used them. Sorry I can't be more specific, but the discussion was over my head, and the archives got taken down when the ISGB forum switched to the new format -- don't know if there's any plan to make them available again.

SteveWright
2006-07-31, 11:03am
With the Lynx, which is a very nice surface mix torch, you do not need flashback arrestors. Pre-mix torches require flashback arrestors since the fuel and oxygen get together inside the torch.

Steve

bclogan
2006-07-31, 11:08am
I have a surface mix torch. I use a flashback arrestor - better safe then sorry. Maybe it's just overkill, but it was worth the $25 to me.

Barbara

Cosmo
2006-07-31, 11:42am
With premix torches you should use them. I have never used them on a surface mix torch, but if you feel safer using them, then by all means you should do it. They don't effect the performance of the torch.

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-02, 6:26am
I have one on my propane line, but not on my oxy line. ;)

boroburner
2006-08-03, 8:09am
Insurance companys sure do like em.
B