Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Encasing Green - problems

Karen Hardy
2006-08-17, 6:16pm
Having a hissy pissy fit here...
I'm working with some new blends - and I noticed that one of the testers beads are cracking. Specifically - under a green color...looks like Jade. The breakage is a spiderweb pattern - not a stress fracture (so I know it's not from her holding it out of the flame going "ooohhh aaaahh").

I remembered reading somewhere that some of the greens are tempermental
when encased. Specifically, jade kept on coming up in these posts.
Anyone have any feedback on encasing various boro greens? Is Jade particularly a Be-atch? Is there other greens I should be concerned about?

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-17, 6:25pm
It's called checking and yes, some greens do it. Basically, the propane in the flame changes the COE of the surface of the glass. This causes stress between the layers and checking occurs. Some greens behave and some don't. I haven't taken the time to figure it out. Checking just sux, so I avoid encasing most greens. I hope this helps. :D

Karen Hardy
2006-08-17, 6:34pm
Well, it HELPS, just doesn't make me feel any better about this mix.
We're not having problems where the frit was more "worked" into the pieces -
but in the ones where the frit was left mostly whole...yeah..there's checking.
Crap...time to reformulate.....

It's called checking and yes, some greens do it. Basically, the propane in the flame changes the COE of the surface of the glass. This causes stress between the layers and checking occurs. Some greens behave and some don't. I haven't taken the time to figure it out. Checking just sux, so I avoid encasing most greens. I hope this helps. :D

Karen Hardy
2006-08-20, 5:14pm
Bumpity - bump - bump.
Anyone else with any suggestions?

Over the Moon
2006-08-20, 6:28pm
Sorry Karen - wish I could help you out...

Karen Hardy
2006-08-20, 6:33pm
Sorry Karen - wish I could help you out...

Well goshdarnit - you're just lucky you're cute....

Over the Moon
2006-08-20, 7:24pm
LOL! :love:

boroburner
2006-08-22, 12:26am
Ive really been liking evergreen lately. Forest is nioce too.

As a general rule stay away from anything called jade. The old stuff was horrible. The new formula is better but is seems to be batch to batch. If you are going to use it try to do so unencased. ie surface work. Or use small amounts if ur going to case it.
Have fun!
B

Karen Hardy
2006-08-22, 9:13am
Bless you B - that's just what I was thinking. I've heard nothing but negative about Jade from people, I just wanted a second (third, fourth) opinion before taking this batch back to formula. Crap - luckily, I only have a small amount made, so it's not a waste.

Thanks!

Ive really been liking evergreen lately. Forest is nioce too.

As a general rule stay away from anything called jade. The old stuff was horrible. The new formula is better but is seems to be batch to batch. If you are going to use it try to do so unencased. ie surface work. Or use small amounts if ur going to case it.
Have fun!
B

Cosmo
2006-08-22, 9:28am
The only green that I've seen that doesn't do it is NS Forest Green. The chrome in the glass changes the COE slightly. They adjusted the COE of the glass itself to compensate for it.

kristan
2006-08-22, 10:17am
I have not been to this part of LE and I when I do a question I can answer. If you want to encase jade the best thing to do is have a base of clear, then the jade then clear again. This has help me with the colors that crack when incased. If you want to use jade frit use it is very small amounts.

Hope that helps some.

Kristan

Angelique
2006-08-28, 11:22am
These last couple days I played with some GA#421 Phthalo Green and I had a couple times that these beads did crack :doubt: