Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Torch poll

Reenie
2006-09-28, 10:30pm
thought I would add a poll to my previous thread. If you answer in the other section...please add what you use.
Thanks again
Irene

Kikki
2006-09-28, 10:43pm
I use a Betta.

evolvingBeau
2006-09-28, 11:24pm
I have been using a National for years.. 8M with the premix ryder.. I do my soft glass beads with the SM-7 surface mix tip and often use a #2 or 15 hole hush tip for alot of my boro work.. I also have the SM-21 tip that really puts out but don't actually use it much..
I think every boro worker should have a 3A blowpipe with a stand. They are cheap, really versatile and have a focused intensity that is hard to match with surface mix torches and comes in handy for some projects.
Even still, I'm kind of in the market for a new wide-range bench burner myself and am really going to have to go around to try the ones I'm looking at to really decide, I won't feel content with my decision otherwise..
There is a nice surface-mix bead torch that I found locally that comes from Cezchoslovakia and sells for $175. I'm probably going to pick one up to try asap. I checked it out (it wasn't hooked up to try though) and it looks really solid with a nice tip configuration similar to a minor but much more solid.. we'll see..

Kevan
2006-09-29, 1:16am
Oh, shouldn't we be able to pick more than one?

We have a minor, a pirhana and a cheetah.

My DH loves the cheetah and I bought the pirhana, but I like using the minor better. I just have never taken to the pirhana and it hums.

dogmaw
2006-09-29, 5:28am
There isn't space for multiple torches! I have a National 8M, betta, minor, and HH

RSimmons
2006-09-29, 5:52am
Bethlehem Betta with a Minor as a spare when I have a guest in the studio.

Robert

e. mort
2006-09-29, 5:59am
I have a Delta. I don't use the outer ring much yet, but I figure I will eventually and this way I won't have to buy any more torches. :lol:

Cosmo
2006-09-29, 6:12am
6 Minors, MidRange Plus, Bethlehem Betta, Barracuda, and Tiger Shark. Going to be adding one of the larger GTT's to that soon, once I see what I can afford. Maybe a Python... :D

whispering beads
2006-09-29, 6:30am
Betta and hothead....

ElizabethCreations
2006-09-29, 6:34am
I have a Bobcat AND a minor.. Planning to get a Mini CC
I also have a HH somewhere....

Kalera
2006-09-29, 6:54am
I have a Barracuda for my primary torch, and also have a Midrange Plus, three Minis and a Minor.

Bunyip
2006-09-29, 7:05am
Minor & a Hot Head. Looking for a third torch!

lainee733
2006-09-29, 7:08am
hot head, and primary torch is a mid range

DesertDreamer
2006-09-29, 9:24am
Midrange Plus with a premix on top for me. I've had it for 6 years and love it! (Had a Minor for 3 years before that.)

G.L.McBead
2006-09-29, 11:34am
I have a Knight Bullet it is a great torch.I use concentrators for the center and tank for the outter.
G.

Dana L
2006-09-29, 3:40pm
I have a minor and a Bobcat.
D

lldesigns
2006-09-29, 8:39pm
I'm on a Hot Head now but I just bought a Mini CC!!!

WhiskerWood
2006-09-29, 9:23pm
Minor, Lynx & Barracuda :grin:

barbbbeads
2006-09-29, 9:33pm
Mid-range plus with a minor on top. Love it! I can do larger stuff on the mid-range and beads on the minor top without having to switch anything out. Just turn the different burners on.

Lisi
2006-09-29, 9:51pm
Mini CC, Bobcat, and two Hotheads. The reason I have the Bobcat is because a friend broke off a piece of cleaning wire inside a gas port on my Mini. I have yet to send it in for repair, and that's on my soon to be done list.

I do love the Bobcat though and I'm so glad I picked it as my emergency replacement torch. The folks at Flametree shipped it to me within two days when they were still in FL. :)

mtarara
2006-09-29, 11:12pm
Started on a Hothead, now on a Betta. Love it!!!
Mary T.

Kevan
2006-09-30, 1:35am
See? You can't just ask which torch. It's which torches. lol

suzanne
2006-09-30, 2:32am
I started out on a HH, switched to a minor and one concentrator, switched to a lynx with two concentrators, and I am now the proud owner of a barracuda and three concentrators. I run my cuda on two concentrators and it works like a charm . I have a third to give it a little oompf when needed ( I haven't used it so far).

I love my cuda, and I think it's the best torch ever ( untill I get a new one that is:))

Reenie
2006-09-30, 2:35am
See? You can't just ask which torch. It's which torches. lol

OMG You are sooo right! Geez I had no idea there were so many that had quite a few. Well I'm in a small area in house..Yea I know....But hoping to go NG pretty soon..I 'm kind of next to fireplace so it should be pretty simple but my area is only like 5 ft by 4 ft or so. On a corner unit from Walmart if that gives u an indication. Would love my own room but with 4 bedrooms and they are all used, I'm gonna have to wait till one of my kids move out!
Not hurrying them out but just the same.
Boro I would love to try but my beads are pretty small. Normally no larger than 18mm in size.....Most of them are about 10mm rounds and such.
I don't really see that changing anytime soon. The only one's that are bigger are because of presses but I normally use the middle of the 3 designs.
Now on a Oxycon....what's a good standard to get? I know there are alot of outputs on these things...
And the biggest thing of all...which doesn't have to be repaired as much??
Okay that's today's questions folks, I'm sure they're will be more to follow.
Thanks
Irene
PS how can u hook up two torches at the same time and only have to turn on whatever one your using? ](*,)

Kevan
2006-09-30, 1:00pm
I only use one torch at a time and I'm tanked.

Good question, though. How do you do that? Is there some kind of splitter invovled?

chrisann
2006-09-30, 2:49pm
yes a splitter. I have a minor on concentrators and a cudda on tanks with a mini cc on the shelf. I run both torches off the same propane with a splitter.
chris ann

maddog1050
2006-10-02, 2:51pm
I have five - a minor, mini cc, midrange plus, lynx and barracuda. I've been switching between the lynx and barracuda lately. I have a oxygen generator but think I probably need a second one to really get all the oomph out of the barracuda. Also, my clear seems clearer with the lynx. Not sure why but I think I'm getting more scumming with the barracuda. I've been using both Vetro clear and crystal clear.

Ro
2006-10-02, 6:05pm
Mirage
Ro

IF-Designs
2006-10-02, 7:16pm
I have a Cheetah I use mainly right now , I had a bobcat before that....I also have a Minor too I have to the side to use for some soft glass stuff.

Venessa
2006-10-02, 7:42pm
I have a major/minor. Started on a fireworks..."graduated" to a HH. Moved up to a Mini CC. Now I have my big fire!

bclogan
2006-10-03, 8:18am
Minor and Piranha

Reenie
2006-10-03, 9:05pm
Okay guys...well from all your wonderful advice..and poll results so far and of course for me $$$$ matters at the time. I need to sell more to get the betta's and the baracuda's of the bunches...but for now it seems like it's going to be between the Minor and the Mini CC
Can I ask....do they both have the pinpoint flame? Which of the two is quieter? Considering my torch is in the formal dining room directly across the living room (which is not separated by a wall) I need something that is quiet so dh will not turn up the tv to the point of eardrum damage.
THanks
Irene

oxwife
2006-10-04, 11:14am
i've been using the same minor since '98... i love it.

Eileen's Gifts
2006-10-04, 11:48am
I have a National 8M and a Hot Head.

mandyjw
2006-10-04, 11:55am
I've stuck with a hothead for over two years.

Reenie
2006-10-04, 12:24pm
I love my hothead too. But I'm such an impatient person and I want more heat. Also, where I live there is only one company that sells MAPP gas or what it is now (Propolene) I have been on the phone with him for 2 weeks and the pump is down where he gets the gas from and without it...I can't torch.
2. When your agoraphobic and can't drive too far...it would be soo much nicer not having to worry about running out of fuel....

3. of course this is just as important but the noise factor from a hothead is too much for anyone that sits in the living room. Tired of screaming and it could be years before I get my own room....
Husband is going to hook me up to NG and the main thing I need is an Oxycon.
So this is why the search has begun. Now I just need to find the quiet one.
Thanks again for everyone's input....can't wait till I finally make up my mind which changes from day to day....
Irene

melissabeads
2006-10-05, 12:36pm
I have a National 8M and I really like it!

Peg Medill
2006-10-05, 1:32pm
Lynx on two concentrators, 8M on one concentrator, Hothead (may it rest in peace as it was my first torch and not used anymore but was great when I first started). Peg M

bclogan
2006-10-05, 1:34pm
If I was in your position I might be tempted to wait a week or so and find out more about Bethlehem's new minnow. Same price range as the Minor/Mini cc.

Reenie
2006-10-05, 8:19pm
HMMM
Thanks for the heads up on the new beth torch...I'll have to check it out..Do they have any right ups on it yet?
Irene

Leanne
2006-10-07, 5:06am
I have a midrange plus with a minor....Mid range is great for larger boro work...though I do use it when I encase quite large beads as it's flame is really nice a wide. I love having the minor with it and use the minor for 98% of my soft glass work. The mid range and the minor are a match made in heaven. It cost me $780 Australian dollars (divide by 1.34 to get US dollars) which was a little overpriced but the service that came with it was fantastic. The person who sold it to me made up special hose thingys for me because the midrange took thicker hoses than what i had.
I started on a hothead which I had for a little under 3 months...I then bought a minor just before Christmas last year which I sold when I bought this torch in June...I went from a hothead to a midrange in under a year! I guess I think big!!

Leanne
2006-10-07, 5:22am
I have agoraphobia and I get my gas delivered!!! It's the way to go!

Reenie
2006-10-09, 6:01pm
Sorry to hear about your agoraphobia....I didn't realize how many people suffered from that and panic disorder till I started posting....It's amazing how much we are all alike in soo many ways.
Maybe that goes with the artist ya know..there's always some kind of thing going on lol
Well thanks to a wonderful person who bidded on all 5 of my auctions this week a major/minor or betta may now be possible. Do all these torches come with instructions? I never knew how hard picking one torch would be. The selection is huge.....
But I am glad I'm researching it and hope that I make the right choice when I finally decide. Maybe next week will be it....
Then it's off to save for an oxycon...then we'll be ready to roll.
Thanks again everyone for your time and helping me to make up my mind, which btw is not quite there yet but loving the input
Irene

Dog Squeez
2006-10-11, 6:28am
My torches, at home, GTT Mirage, Herbert Arnold 40, and a National 3a for art,
at work, Voltarc-Hyde 16" ribbon fire, Cannon crossfire, and a Tecnolux
fishtail crossfire hand torch. I make neon for a living.

WOW, I actually get paid to be a Pyro.

liannbeads
2006-10-11, 6:33am
I have a Piranha and a HH. My Piranha is super quiet, no humming. Something might be wrong with the one that hums?! My oxycon is the noisiest thing in my studio. It makes an intermittent squeeking sound. Very irritating. I love my Piranha and it has a great pinpoint flame.

Reenie
2006-10-17, 2:38am
Drum roll please..............(insert your own beat here)
The winning torch is the "Betta!"
Thanks for all your help everyone. It was NOT an easy decision. I am having the gas guy over next friday to see how much pressure I have. According to the girl on the phone she thinks it's 1/3psi. NOw I just need my oxycon and I guess I'm set. Might need to lock up my HH for when I get frustrated. PPP all over again.
i'm so excited though!
So thanks again everyone for your wonderful help
Irene