Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Glow Powders???

Beadbug
2006-12-31, 5:07pm
Can anyone give me tips on using glow in the dark powders? Please post photos if possible. I got some for christmas and need to know how and what I can do with them???

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Corey
2007-01-05, 11:11am
I would like to know how to use that to.

crystalflipz
2007-01-05, 4:43pm
I generally use the glow powder as a form of encased stringer. I take a big glob of clear and roll it in a thick layer of the glow powder. I then "encase" this powder covered glob with more clear or with another transparent glass. I'm using the term encase very lightly here. The glow powder does not stick well to the glass so I will attach the glass to the glass at the base of the blob and bring it up and over the blob to reattach it to the glass on the other side. From there I can attach glass to the top and bring it down to attach at the base of this blob. Once the whole thing is covered with the top layer of glass, I melt everything smooth and pull it into a stringer. If you have a thick layer of glow powder, you should have a stringer that really glows in the dark. I hope this is clearer than mud!!
This set was done using stringer encased with a light aqua blue. It's on Bullseye glass, but it works the same with COE 104 glass.
If this doesn't make any sense let me know, and I try to figure out a better way to explain it.
Carol

LyndaJ
2007-01-05, 5:04pm
That's COOL!

Starfield
2007-01-05, 7:21pm
Whoa!!! I want some! I want some! (Whining loudly)

Karen
Starfield Glass

DeboraCox_facetsdesigns
2007-01-05, 9:58pm
Thanks for sharing the pics...always wondered if that really worked or not...so now I've gotta get me some!
Deb

crystalflipz
2007-01-05, 10:37pm
Be aware that there are several colors of glow powder available. I have found that the lt blue one gives the best "glow" when pulled into stringer. The others look really cool by themselves, but they tend to wimp out once pulled into stringer.
Carol

DeboraCox_facetsdesigns
2007-01-05, 11:36pm
just to clarify??
thanks!

crystalflipz
2007-01-06, 1:45pm
Deb,
It's Aqua that gives me the best color. Sorry about that.
Carol

hulagirl
2007-01-07, 7:40am
Way cool!

pandora
2007-01-07, 11:35am
Your description (of encasing it) is funny!! I've found this stuff really hard to work (because it doesn't stick)...it's worse thasn pixidust in that regard. We could almost use it as a resist :lol:

I know someone who mixes it in to great result. I have never been able to do it (but will try this loose encasing- sounds like it has a greater probability of success..fro me anyway).
Thanks for the tip!
Elise

Solana
2007-01-07, 11:55am
Just an FYI on pixie dust...if you want to add glass on top of it, you need to remove the "loose" dust before adding more glass. To do this, keep a wet towel near you and gently roll your bead on it to remove the excess dust. However, do NOT roll a glowing red bead on the towel....wait for it to cool just a bit. Also, be sure the pixie dust is generally fused to the glass before rolling it on the wet towel, or else it'll come off.

Not sure if this would work for the glow powder as I haven't tried it.

I learned this technique from Robyn of Shibumi Glass. :)

crystalflipz
2007-01-08, 12:16am
I posted this pix in the gallery tonight, but thought I'd post it here with a more detailed explaination.
The base bead is Moretti Dk Aqua. I used a glow stringer that was also encased in the Dk Aqua and swirled it over the base bead and then melted it smooth. Over this I put a thin layer of Pale Aqua glass. The next layer is silver dichro wound round the bead and then encased in clear. I shaped what had turned into a very large bead as best as I could, and then decorated the outside with raised scrollwork of glow stringer encased in clear. The bead is 52mm long x 20mm wide at the center and was done on a 3/32 mandrel. I obviously let the ends cool off to much at some point as there is a small thermal crack near one end. I can either keep it on my workbench or put it by my bed to use as a nightlight - it's really bright!
One more note - When I make glow stringer, I put as thick a layer of glow powder as possible on my base "blob" of glass. That way there is more to pull into stringer, and the stringer will glow brighter.
Carol

jrandrup
2007-01-09, 7:15am
Carol, those are beautiful! I'm going to have to give this a try. You mention the powder, have you ever used the glow frit?
Thanks!

uniqueleigh
2007-01-09, 7:35am
Be aware that there are several colors of glow powder available. I have found that the lt blue one gives the best "glow" when pulled into stringer. The others look really cool by themselves, but they tend to wimp out once pulled into stringer.
Carol

I just wanted to chime in a little here. I was gonna try the powder out today. Hmmm interesting timing huh. LOL

Any Hoo I have been working with comercial glow powders for about 2 years now. (Haven't used them in the glass yet so please take that into consideration when ready my post) And I have had experience with many colors. The brightest and longest glow comes from Aqua, Green, and Blue. They have like a 10 + hours glowing time line. The others drop in intesity and glow length from there. I think red and orange only glow for about 10 min. If someone would like any other info and I can help feel free to ask.

I have to say thanks for the encasing tip though because I have been trying to figure the best way to get the powder in the glass because it does tend to make a surface that things don't want to stick to.

Leigh

crystalflipz
2007-01-09, 9:47am
Thanks Jan!
I've looked at the glow frit a few times, but have never taken the plunge and gotten some. I'd love to see pictures if anyone else has used it.
Carol

crystalflipz
2007-01-09, 10:28am
Here is a link to a company that sells both glow dust and glow frit online and on Ebay. If you go to the site and then follow the liks to the Glow Glass Gallery, there are some pretty cool pix of things people have done with both the dust and the frit.
http://www.glowglass.org
Carol

CO_Phantom
2007-01-25, 1:03am
How long does the glow using this powder last? Can it be recharged to go on for a quite a while, or is it a one shot type of thing?

Heather/Ericaceae
2007-01-25, 8:17pm
I have a bag of glow glass but whenever I try to pull stringers it comes out really lumpy and pretty much unusable. Is this because I tried to mix the dust into the glass? Does a thick encased layer work better?