Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Mandrel Wound Implosion Beads Tutorial

Pages : [1] 2

Moth
2005-09-19, 7:49am

1- Form a thin (2-3mm) disk of clear glass that measures a diameter of approximately 2 inches.

TIP: The thicker sized mandrel you use, the easier it is to control this disk. When you try your first few, use 3/32" mandrels.

2- When your disk is round and uniform, put a ring of dots very near the mandrel.

TIP: The closer to the mandrel you get this first ring of dots, the nicer your finished product will look.

3- Continue rings of dots in a bullseye pattern, or even random still looks nice. Bring your decoration clear to the rim of your disk. Carefully melt these dots in flat. Do this very slowly. Remember, you do not want your disk to get soft yet. Only melt the dots.

TIP: The more dots, the better. Try using rainbow colored rings, or start with black (or cobalt) in the center, then dark red, light red, ,orange then yellow. Very cool flame implosion!

4- Once your dots are melted in, tip your mandrel so that the point is down, then aim your flame at the rim of the disk. This will start to condense the disk and you will begin to see implosions forming.

TIP: Do not try to do this too quickly. You can always ADD heat, but you can't take it back out fast enough to save a rush job. The most important thing to remember in this step is to do it uniformly. All sides of the disk the same temp at all times, or you will get a runny side and a globby side.

5- As you melt down the disk with the mandrel tip down, your disk will form into a cone. I personally like them best this way, but there is no reason for you not to try other shapes. You can keep imploding this as long as you like. It will crawl down the mandrel. Keep in mind, the further you stretch it, the skinner the implosion bands will be. You CAN go too far.

TIP: You will end up where at the thin end of the cone, the implosion will start 2-3mm into the bead. The implosions on the fat end will go clear to the hole. If you prefer not to have the implosions go clear to the hole on the fat end of the cone, then put a wrap of clear around the mandrel where you want the bead to stop. This will halt the implosion. You can use clear for this, but try a solid color or twistie as well. Experiment with what you like.

6- Spend some time on that thin end of the cone, use heat and gravity,to produce a nicely dimpled hole. You can gently marver to help, but beware, your implosions will distort if you are too aggressive.

TIP: Decorate with flowers or other surface decoration at the thin end of the cone to allow the implosions to be the star of the bottom half.

I don't usually encase these further, as there is already a lot going on with these beads, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't, or couldn't do it. An added layer of encasing will not shift the implosions deep within the core.

There you have it!
Hope you have fun.
~~Mary

Gail Joseph
2005-09-19, 7:54am
WOWWWWW!!!! Thank you SO much! I've been failing at the off-mandrel version, mainly due to my lack of puntying skills, but this give me hope!--Gail (p.s., LOVE your diagrams and bead!!!)

DawnT
2005-09-19, 7:59am
Oh Mary thank you so much! I have admired your implosion beads for soooo long!

Curly Irish Girl
2005-09-19, 8:32am
You make it look/sound so simple.....I'm gonna give it a try today! Thanks

Rebekah
2005-09-19, 9:27am
That is so cool! Can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing such a great tut.
Rebekah

Orchid40
2005-09-19, 9:39am
Woo hoo!! Another tutorial to tack to my wall. Thanks so much Mary! You're an excellent teacher and I'm addicted to the off-hand leaves you taught.

Char

firegrl
2005-09-19, 9:41am
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lbjvg
2005-09-19, 10:04am
Brilliant!

Kalera
2005-09-19, 10:06am
That is a fantastic tutorial, and I've never seen anything like that technique anywhere else... thank you for sharing it!

DreamMuse
2005-09-19, 11:01am
This is unbelievably cool!!! Thanks so much for sharing, Moth!!

Sam_W
2005-09-19, 12:28pm
Awesome tutorial, Mary, really great stuff. Thank you so much for sharing.

Toozygoot
2005-09-19, 12:28pm
That is one jawdropping awesome bead! And the tutorial is so well done! I'm not saying I'll be trying it yet, but thanks so much for sharing this!

pat

PattyK
2005-09-19, 3:40pm
What a cool tutorial!! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together! :koolaid:

dogsrlove
2005-09-19, 8:15pm
A+!

Thanks for sharing!
Vanessa

CorriDawn
2005-09-19, 8:44pm
I just saw beads like this the other day and was wondering how it was done. thanks!

Moth
2005-09-20, 8:05pm
You're welcome guys. I just hope you have fun playing with these. There are so many variations to bring into them. You could decorate the disk with stripes instead of dots to see what happens, or you could twist it after it is imploded. I haven't tried either of those two things yet.

It would be really fun to see pictures of what you all come up with as beginning attempts. It is so much easier than it looks in the tutorial.

The hardest part is forming the initial disk, and even that isn't very hard.

I'm having a good time making these tutorials. The ones I have tried to do with photographs sucked, but the diagrams seem to be working out pretty well and it doesn't matter that my camera's battery was dead. LOL

~~Mary

ReeBird
2005-09-20, 11:08pm
We appreciate your generous time giving Tutorials. Thank You! =D> =D> =D>

Slaterville
2005-09-21, 4:13am
Move Over Mr. Smiley................moth Has Entered The Room!!!!! Great Tut! Maybe Some Of Us Who Are "implosion Impaired", Can Make Something Descent With This Tut. Big Thumbs Up!

Anne Ricketts
2005-09-21, 4:55am
3 cheers for Mary!!! You've done it again!!! Thanks so much! =D> =D> =D>

Moth
2005-09-21, 6:10am
Actually guys, this isn't any different than doing an offhand one. Your only modification is that you are using a mandrel as a handle instead of a rod of glass.

I have done offhand implosions and these and these are trickier for me. Other than the loop for offhand. If that is the part you have troubles with, then this will let you play with implosions until you get your loops figured out.

The reasons I find the offhand ones easier is that you are working with a much thicker 'disk' of glass, so it is easier to keep stable. Plus I love to watch the color suck up into the clear rod. I don't get that satisfaction with these.

But I love that there is a hole down the center of the finished piece and can be strung as a bead.

I started making these because I wanted to make hollow inside out beads and couldn't work the tubing very well. So I figured, you start out with a disk to make a hollow mandrel wound bead, so why can't I just decorate the insides of two disks, fuse them together and viola. Hollow implosion/inside out bead ON A MANDREL.

Only problem was that you end up with a seam down the center, no matter how closely I tried to get it. OR, the hollow would collapse and then it just looked BAD.

So I thought I would just decorate ONE disk and then let if flop over onto a point of the mandrel about a half inch a way...that proved almost impossible to do consistently. One of the flops happened when I was swatting at a bug and lost the disk down onto the mandrel too early and the mandrel wound implosion bead (for me) was born. I can't be the first person to have done it, but I did run into it on my own.

Most of the stuff I figure out happens this way. I am flailing about trying to accomplish one thing and stumble over something different. LOL

~~Mary

Toni Lutman
2005-09-21, 6:24am
Thanks Mary,

That bead is beautiful! I can't try this today, but tomorrow...watch out! This really gives me some great ideas!

Thank you so much for sharing it!

Toni

Orchid40
2005-09-21, 7:55am
Thank that bug!! :fireblob:

Char

PaulaD
2005-09-21, 8:46am
Awesome...Paula

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-21, 9:25am
Mary Mary Mary! I have to give you a big thank you! You have challenged me, and I am grateful you shared this with us!! UNLIKE my other off mandrel wonkie implosion pendant in another thread, here is one I kinda like. Thank you Mary!!!!

Moth
2005-09-21, 9:50am
Mary Mary Mary! I have to give you a big thank you! You have challenged me, and I am grateful you shared this with us!! UNLIKE my other off mandrel wonkie implosion pendant in another thread, here is one I kinda like. Thank you Mary!!!!

That is awewome! What color did you make your dots, if you don't mind telling?

~~Mary

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-21, 10:00am
Thank you Mary! I pulled some raku stringer out of chunks!
~me~

fyrsmith
2005-09-21, 10:16am
It looks like Mary's bead (and Suzy's) are soft glass. Gotta try this in boro!

-Don-

Moth
2005-09-21, 10:56am
Thank you Mary! I pulled some raku stringer out of chunks!
~me~

Mine is raku too...isn't that unbelievable how different we can all make it look?

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-21, 11:03am
Raku gets so much more color from my crappy old National torch, than my barracuda. Weird huh?
I like your color better!
~me~

Tutti-frutti
2005-09-21, 4:11pm
=D> Thank you ever so much. I still cant make a round bead to save my life, but i sure did the implosion thing.
I love finding new tut's here, thank you thank you thank you =D>
Will try tio get a picture before it's too dark outside.
Katja

How do you clean them out I seem to have some hollow spots inside?

Foxfire Flameworks
2005-09-21, 4:41pm
Thank you, Mary!:love::love::love:

I can't wait to get home and try this!!! Something tells me the next two days are going to be very, very, veerrrryyy loooonnngggg...

--Meri

MaryBeth
2005-09-21, 10:56pm
This is an amazing tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing :love:

Anne Ricketts
2005-09-22, 5:35am
Well I got to make one yesterday! I place transparent colored dots first then put white over those and then melted down. managed to trap some air in there but oh well! :lol: The picture was too dark so I tried dropping the background out by playing with Adobe!

Moth
2005-09-22, 7:44am
=D> Thank you ever so much. I still cant make a round bead to save my life, but i sure did the implosion thing.
I love finding new tut's here, thank you thank you thank you =D>
Will try tio get a picture before it's too dark outside.
Katja

How do you clean them out I seem to have some hollow spots inside?

If you have hollow areas inside your bead, you are condensing the disk too quickly. Slow down and let it crawl down the mandrel. If the disk skips part of the mandrel before it touches down again, it will leave a hollow spot. You might also try not tilting the mandrel so steeply.

Gorgeous colors!!!

Aren't they fun to make??

If you just mean you have areas of clear glass between your bands of color and that you can see the bead hole, you just need to be careful about how you clean them. I use a diamond coated bit in a cordless dremel. I clean them a good long time.

To avoid the clear areas between the color bands, apply more dots, closer together on your disk, and don't let the bead crawl as far down the mandrel.

I think you did awesome!

~~Mary

Moth
2005-09-22, 7:46am
Well I got to make one yesterday! I place transparent colored dots first then put white over those and then melted down. managed to trap some air in there but oh well! :lol: The picture was too dark so I tried dropping the background out by playing with Adobe!

I love that!! I didn't think to put transparents first, then white. I did make one with an encased stringer though. It was some kind of dark teal, aqua or blue over white. Here is a pic:

Great job Anne!!!

You will be addicted in no time!

~~Mary

ltsexpressions
2005-09-22, 1:27pm
OMG! I did have the general rules right then from your HINT Mary!!! OMG, OMG, thank you for posting this as a tut! I'm gonna PPP them again tonight!!!

And TY's to RhapSuzy also for pointing my butt here.... duh, a tut in the tut section... whodathunk.....

stac

Chelle's art glass
2005-09-22, 3:57pm
Excellent tutorial Mary. =D>
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Am going to give it a go today.

Three Muses Glass
2005-09-22, 4:33pm
Maryeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! You rock girl! I did 3 of them today and while they're not super duper fab or anything, they're waaaaay better than the off mandrel ones I butchered.
Thank you, thank you!!!

NLC Beads
2005-09-22, 6:59pm
Ooohh..... Mary, you are a goddess... I'll have to give this a shot.

Anne Ricketts
2005-09-23, 5:49am
I love that!! I didn't think to put transparents first, then white.
The very first one I tried, I did it the opposite, and um...well all it came out was white! Doh! ](*,)

You will be addicted in no time!

~~Mary
Yes indeedy!! :grin: I'm going to try some more tomorrow maybe if our power dosen't get knocked out from Rita!! :-x

FlameDancer
2005-09-23, 7:56am
Mary...I can't THANK YOU enough for that tutorial! I have three in the kiln right now. I have a huuuge show tomorrow and have been racking my brain about what to make for focal necklaces. I sure hope you don't mind that I made them to sell at the show, oh and they will have tags on them that say..."Moth Implosion Beads". I can't WAIT to get them out of the kiln.

If you aren't teaching classes, you really should be. You give very good, precise, wonderful to follow directions. And, not too mention, you are very giving of your knowledge. Thanks again:)

Moth
2005-09-23, 8:02am
Hi Krissa!

Good luck at your show! I hope they go over really well for you. And don't put my name on them...YOU made them, not ME! But if you wanted to tell people who told ya about it, that would be nice. :)

Hugs.
~~Mary

ukiacat
2005-09-23, 10:38am
Thank you Mary. You give very clear instructions! Now That I've tried it, I understand more about how the thickness of the disc, the placement of the dots and the melting of the disc affect the outcome. This technique will be fun to play with. I got a little too excited when I encased the flowers, some of them moved....but I'll show my two attempts anyway.

4086 4087

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-23, 10:48am
Ouuuuu...awwwwweee...............I love that second one Jennifer!!!!!!!!

kpastino
2005-09-23, 12:45pm
Thanks Mary, your tutorial was super. I made one last night and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Here is a pic of it, don't know what happened to my digital camera. Just couldn't get the pic right :confused:
Kyung

Moth
2005-09-23, 1:27pm
Jennifer, that first one your posted is an excellent example of what the implosions can do.

Now you know that the further you stretch the bead, the skinnier the implosion bands will be, you know that the thicker the disk, the wider the space at the top before the implosions begin. You are so right...the more of these you make, the more you will know how to predict what they will look like before you even begin to proceed with the implosion part. You did a great job...they look nice and even too!

Great job on encasing the flowers. I can really tell you were having a good time with this!

Yay!!!

~~Mary

Moth
2005-09-23, 1:28pm
Thanks Mary, your tutorial was super. I made one last night and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Here is a pic of it, don't know what happened to my digital camera. Just couldn't get the pic right :confused:
Kyung

Awesome job Kyung!!!!

I love it. You did a great job and even though the pic is a little fuzzy, I can see you got a nice implosion going on and your shape is very nice. Way to go!!

~~Mary

FlameDancer
2005-09-23, 3:33pm
Here are my implosion beads. Mary, I have to thank you again! They are totally addicting!

I do have a question though. What should I charge for them? I am probably going to just hang them from a SS box chain.

FlameDancer
2005-09-23, 3:36pm
Here's two more:)

ltsexpressions
2005-09-23, 7:28pm
Ooohh..... Mary, you are a goddess... I'll have to give this a shot.

Nik,

maybe you could figure out how to make it into an "encased" sheepie....

teehee,

(running away giggling.....)

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-23, 7:49pm
Holy Shitola!!!!!!! Those are awesome Krissa!!!! I LOVE them both!!!!!!

~Suzy~

FlameDancer
2005-09-23, 8:52pm
Why...Thank ya Suzy:)

NLC Beads
2005-09-23, 11:59pm
Nik,

maybe you could figure out how to make it into an "encased" sheepie....

teehee,

(running away giggling.....)

I was trying to figure that out - how did you know!? I figure a sheep on ice... Or a carbonite sheep, since everyone's Star Wars crazy. :) Except I hated that happening to poor Harrison Ford, I don't know if I can do that to a sheep.

RaySkene
2005-09-24, 5:04am
Hey Mary - credit where credit is due. It worked even from here where we live in caves over the Welsh moutainside. 8-)

Another fine technique I have in my armoury ...that makes ???

Thanks very much - Ray in Wales

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-24, 5:53am
Great job everyone! Mary! These are so addicting!!!!!!!!
~Suzy~

hummingbird3172
2005-09-24, 7:16am
Mary, I love your tutorials...you are so generous with your knowledge! I can't wait to try this because I have been flower obsessed lately (obsessed with making them decently ](*,) ) ......I was wondering, are you still working on a HH? AND if so how to you get your Raku to look so pretty?......I followed your example and went to bulk propane (thank you--I have never been happier), and with a little tweaking it works fine for me...but raku is not being my friend........any tips?

5 star tutorial...can't wait to see your next one! :-D

ukiacat
2005-09-24, 2:10pm
I played with this some more yesterday. Yes, Mary, I did see that the thicker my disk, the more clear space in my bead :-) So, I tried a bead or two with a colored base on my disc. One started with green transparent and one with blue transparent. THEN I thought.....If I keep doing this with florals *what would happen if I make a thin barrel and build my disc on that? There is a bead in these pictures that has blue adventurine going all through the center; that's the one I tried. Then I realized my implosion shape could be better so I heated the interior as I heated the "tire tread" and that came out better but I overdid the bead with flowers and some stringer that I combed. I should have stopped while I was ahead....but hey, that's how I learn!

4167 4168

4169 4170

Thanks again Mary; for the help and encouragement...and thanks Suzy for the compliment!

JCHerrellGlass
2005-09-24, 4:04pm
Out of this world!!! Thank you, Mary!

Moth
2005-09-24, 8:26pm
[QUOTE=FlameDancer]Here's two more:)

Wow, Krissa! Those are gorgeous. I love the raised flowers on there. Adds a whole new dimension.

As far as price goes...I have zero clue. It all depends on your market and how big the show is.

If it gives you a ballpark mine sell for an average of $25-$30 on ebay.

~~Mary

Moth
2005-09-24, 8:29pm
I was trying to figure that out - how did you know!? I figure a sheep on ice... Or a carbonite sheep, since everyone's Star Wars crazy. :) Except I hated that happening to poor Harrison Ford, I don't know if I can do that to a sheep.

I can't wait to see what you do with these Nikki!

I saw some of your beads at the studio today and I LOVE what you've been doing with twisties! You had one there that was white on one side and orange or red twisties on the other side. The white had grooves in it that were totally cool!!!

Jan got a bunch of customers just as I was leaving or I would have snatched that one!

~~Mary

Moth
2005-09-24, 8:31pm
Hey Mary - credit where credit is due. It worked even from here where we live in caves over the Welsh moutainside. 8-)

Another fine technique I have in my armoury ...that makes ???

Thanks very much - Ray in Wales

Great job Ray! Nice example of a different shape and how it all still works together!

Hope you have fun with these, I sure do!

~~Mary

Moth
2005-09-24, 8:32pm

Thanks again Mary; for the help and encouragement...and thanks Suzy for the compliment!

That last one is my favorite! I love the contrast inside. It is awesome to see so many people trying these on for size.

:waving:

~~Mary

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-25, 11:14am
Here is my latest attempt! Not a great picture for detail, it's cool in person though. A double implosion bicone. Mary, you be De' Bomb!!!!
~Suzy~

Teague
2005-09-25, 11:42am
Wow Suzy that's awesome! You really rocked that implosion. I just started doing these last night. No Digi for me though.

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-25, 12:02pm
Thank you! They are way too addicting! kinda like a new drug.....hee....hee....

ltsexpressions
2005-09-25, 12:14pm
Here is my latest attempt! Not a great picture for detail, it's cool in person though. A double implosion bicone. Mary, you be De' Bomb!!!!
~Suzy~

ok suz

give upthe goods on doing a double..... like moth's but one then another???

I'm not putting my brain around it....

Stac

NLC Beads
2005-09-25, 12:28pm
I guessing like a hollow to begin with - 2 discs, then the implosion directions on each size? Is it more hollow in the middle?

Gorgeous - I don't think my feeble attempt in the kiln right now will measure up...

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-25, 12:46pm
I just made one, then added another one on the opposite end and capped it with black. I then did some raised stringer to cover the clear area. Took awhile, but pretty cool effect.

~Suzy~

Gail Joseph
2005-09-25, 1:16pm
WOW!!!!! Everyone is doing so well! I've been doing regular off mandrel implosions this afternoon, but now I'm inspired to try these again too! Beautiful, phenomenal beads everyone!!

Manon
2005-09-25, 1:35pm
Well that's just too much fun. Thanks Mary. I did some with black cores. I'll post pics tomorrow.

ukiacat
2005-09-25, 4:48pm
I love how experimental everyone is getting with this technique! Suzy, I love your bicone idea. It made me laugh with delight to see how the beads have grown and changed. Everyone's beads are great. To me, this is when this site [or the other sites] are at their best; with people taking an idea, then running in new directions and then sharing what they came up with. See what you started Mary \\:D/

ltsexpressions
2005-09-25, 5:23pm
My implosions, before and after Moth's tutorial!!!

BEFORE the tutorial... (mary now has the one in the back and my fav is the raku/greenraised floral one)

http://www.ltsexpressions.com/assets/images/db_images/db_marymothflorals1.jpg

and now the ones I did this weekend.....

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1216/599/320/pinkribbonNimplosions.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1216/599/320/M_plosion.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1216/599/320/MplosionFloral.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1216/599/320/ImplosionNspiral.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1216/599/320/implosionirisyellow.jpg

WHACHA think... and yes, Suzy, it is a new DRUG!!!!! (they are a b*tch to photograph though...)

Stacy

Moth
2005-09-26, 6:34am
Holy wow!!!

I had set up to get notifications to additions to this thread, but I hadn't gotten any in a while so I came to double check. I'm SO glad I did...I almost missed this new stuff!

Gorgeous, gorgeous work you all. I have to say, I am so happy I posted this tutorial. I did it because it was the only time I have ever had anything to share that I hadn't already seen instructions for somewhere else. What a great feeling!

It is a real kick to see all the fun twists you guys are putting into these. I gotta say, Suzy....hot damn! Whenever I did the doubles, I never ended up with a bicone...it was always a huge massive round and I put rows of dots around the center 'seam'. I like yours a hundred times better! The black caps really set it off!

Manon!!! Please post your pics!

Stacy, those are way fun!!! I can't wait to get one! It could very well be sitting at the post office, but since my car died, and since it is raining cats and dogs today, I can't get it til hubby comes home tonight. Thank you for sending it to me!!!

Nikki, what did you come up with?? Are you happy with it, will you show us, PLEEEEEEZ???

~~Mary

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-09-26, 8:17am
This really has been a great tutorial, Mary! You are so amazing for sharing when you could have just kept us guessing how you do it! This IS what a glass website ought to be all about, don't ya think!!! I also love how everyone has inserted their own creativity to the original example!!

Thanks for the bicone compliment, believe it or not that is the about the easiest shape for me to make. I guess I was born to roll! Too bad my pie dough never cooperates this well.

~Suzy~

NLC Beads
2005-09-26, 8:09pm
Mary - I'll show my next one - I'm not overly proud of this one... :)

Sharon Abood
2005-09-27, 3:50am
Thanks for the tut! It is beautiful. I tried it last night and like Katja said I can't make a round bead but I tried it and it looked pretty good going into the kiln but came out with two cracks in it. I have had other beads that crack when I try to take them off the mandrel. What am I doing wrong? I am using Morretti glass and I am annealing at 925. I just set the kiln and let it cool down on it's own overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com

Moth
2005-09-27, 5:27am
Thanks for the tut! It is beautiful. I tried it last night and like Katja said I can't make a round bead but I tried it and it looked pretty good going into the kiln but came out with two cracks in it. I have had other beads that crack when I try to take them off the mandrel. What am I doing wrong? I am using Morretti glass and I am annealing at 925. I just set the kiln and let it cool down on it's own overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com

Hi Sharon, I'm glad you are having luck with the tutorial.

Now let's see if we can fix your cracking problem.

First, up your annealing temp to about 968 and let your beads soak at that temp for 20-30 minutes. Rule of thumb is 15 minutes for every 1/4" thickness of glass. Then, if you have a digital controller, program it to ramp your temp down to 830 over a period of about 2 hours. (I'm very conservative about this...Probably lots of people do it faster, but I make lots of encased beads that are chubby.) 830 is the 'strain' point. The slower you cool down from the temperature at which the glass is still moving 968 to the temperature at which the glass locks into its structure (830), the more stress will be relieved, and/or the less stress your glass will aquire during the process. (If you don't have a digital controller, you will have to babysit your pyrometer)

Any stress introduced into your glass before you hit the 830 point, is permanent stress. This means it will remain stress in the glass even after the bead is cool. That is why I am so conservative about it.

Any stress introduced into your glass below the 830 point is temporary stress, which means once the bead has reached a uniform temperature throughtout, aka...totally cooled down, that stress is gone. That is why I will ramp down from 830 to room temperature at a faster rate. Usually takes about 5 hours for my kiln to cool down enough to take the beads out.

Now, if you go TOO fast from 830 to room temp, you can thermal shock your beads and they will crack. Just like putting boiling water into a glass if it has been in the freezer. POP.

So, in a nutshell, you are annealing at too low a temperature, (actually you aren't annealing at all), and you are ramping down too fast.

Another thing to keep in mind is at what point to put the bead into the kiln. Your beads could very well be cracking before you ever get them into the kiln (but I doubt it in this case). Once you have your bead in its final shape, and uniformly heated, you should waft it in and out of the flame to let the glow die down. Your goal is to bring the temp of the bead down as close to your kiln temp as you can. (Which is a guess actually). You are trying to get the inside of the bead and the outside of the bead at the same temp. Once the glow is practically gone, this is when to put the bead quickly into the kiln. I use lauscha to encase, so I put them in still glowing (but not brightly). You will find what works for what type beads you are making.

Hope that helps you out!
~~Mary

PS- It is impossible to OVER-anneal, so in my opinion, you can't go too slow.

Sharon Abood
2005-09-27, 6:30am
Mary,
Thank you so much for all the info. I really appreciate your help. I can't wait to try it again tonight.
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com

Sharon Abood
2005-09-27, 6:45am
Mary,
Thank you so much for all the info. I really appreciate your help. I can't wait to try it again tonight.
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com

Manon
2005-09-27, 11:18am
Looky! I made little lava lamps! he he. Ok, so I didn't spend much time shaping them......but it was fun.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2005-09-27, 4:29pm
Looky! I made little lava lamps! he he. Ok, so I didn't spend much time shaping them......but it was fun.

I LOVEEEE the lava lamps - these are so cool - Thank you Mary for the tutorial and everyone doing the cool, groovy, glass thingees and sharing!

Now - who wants to come babysit my demon dogs so I can go try and make some??

Martha :roll:

Moth
2005-09-27, 8:50pm
Yay more pictures!!!

I LOVE the lava lamps. Fun fun fun.

Martha...I'll watch your dogs. Send me some pictures. Heehee.

~~Mary

Ms. Booger
2005-09-28, 10:24pm
TOO COOL MARY MOTH!
Am going to learn something else from you - geez, woman! I can't wait to give this a shot. Thank you immensely for the teaching.
Sheryll

DreamMuse
2005-10-01, 12:12pm
Ok, I had a lot of fun trying this tutorial out, but... ummm... well, I guess I should have actually taken the instructions with me *chuckles* I totally misremembered how to melt it down, and tried to collapse it from the center out, instead of the outer rim, inwards LOL

So, I thought I'd give you all a good chuckle! Here's what happens *Grins*

sadiesmom
2005-10-01, 12:13pm
Mary... THANK YOU!!!

This is so cool. I was finally able to go out to the torch today and try this. It was almost painful to not be able to do it the day I read this the first time... I was so excited and my adreneline was rushing. Oh well.

Anyway, Here's my 2nd & 3rd attempt. My first one, I lost control of the disc bead. These aren't fab... but not too damn bad for my first day!!

RuskinDesigns
2005-10-01, 6:54pm
4685 OMG!!!!! What an awesome tutorial. Your diagrams made it look so easy.

To everyone who has posted pictures - they are all so beautiful and fun to make huh?

This was my first try - definitely going to keep experimenting.

midniteburner
2005-10-01, 7:14pm
Totally Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like them all BUT my favorite has to be the ones made by Disa.

Sara

DreamMuse
2005-10-01, 8:46pm
LMAO!!!! You're teasing me, Sara! *grins and hugs ya*

I hate how bad the scanner glares off the bead. I should scan flip the bead over and scan it again so the glare is on the end with the most clear. Then you can see how strange the dots smear out LOL

Moth
2005-10-03, 6:33am
Hi guys!!

It is such a rush to see what you are all doing. I wish I had even more stuff to show ya. LOL

Beautiful job Disa...I really like them. It is a whole new look to the technique and you could play around with that and take it even further.

Hi Sheryll! Hugs...I miss ya. We need to get t'getha.

Jodie, what a great shape too! Really nice implosion and I like how you put a lip at the top end. Very nice touch.

Keep 'em coming you guys. And I hope those of you who have posted your first attempts come back and post your progression.

Hugs all around. Just got back from the Bead Invitational and I'm all full of glass love. Heehee.

~~Mary

beadsofharmony
2005-10-07, 9:15am
Hi there...okay...how the heck do you get a nice 2 inch disk without it flopping or cracking????

LOL!

Thanks! =P~

adovbs
2005-10-07, 1:49pm
Keep 'em coming you guys. And I hope those of you who have posted your first attempts come back and post your progression.

Moth, thank you for this tut!!!

Here's a vessel inspired by your tutorial and this thread...I'm making more today and I'll post again if they turn out.

Teresa

NLC Beads
2005-10-07, 4:47pm
I made these two last night and loved them, but I let the pink one cool too much before putting it in the kiln. Guess you shouldn't stare at toads too much - it cracks them up. :D
Thanks again, Mary, great tutorial!!!

ltsexpressions
2005-10-07, 9:05pm
CRACKED or not! You can send them to me... I'll love them like they are the whole and bee-U-tee_ful toadies that they are!!!!

gotta hate it when they crack up like that! dang it, can't they just laugh like the rest of us.... damn laughing toads.....

hugs NiK.....

stac

NLC Beads
2005-10-07, 9:42pm
Stacey - only the pink one cracked, and thanks - I'll add her into your rainbow bead package. I love them getting good homes, you know that. :) She turned out so darn cute, too - didja notice the painted toe and finger-nails?

Moth
2005-10-08, 7:17am
Hi there...okay...how the heck do you get a nice 2 inch disk without it flopping or cracking????

LOL!

Thanks! =P~

Keep her hot and in her place. Hehe.

~~Mary

Moth
2005-10-08, 7:21am
Awesome vessel Teresa! LOVE that color combination and the shape really compliments the implosion well. You did a great job. Hope you show more too!

Nikki!! What a super job. I hope you had a good time making them. Your frogs look pretty happy with their new homes. :koolaid:

Love it Love it Love it!!!

~~Mary

NLC Beads
2005-10-09, 12:12am
Mary - It's addictive. :) You've put me off special orders for right now... (Yeah, like I need a reason to procrastinate.)

adovbs
2005-10-10, 9:03am

You're right, Nikki, it's addictive! lol

Teresa

beadlvr
2005-10-10, 9:18am
Hi, I just love this tutorial and the instructions were extremely easy to follow as I am still learning - took a class almost a month ago, teaching my husband and he made one last night. My question is....on the ones that I see flowers on them, were they applied after the final shaping and then encased again? Thanks again for this wonderful tutorial. Everyone's projects are so lovely and so different.
Sherry

NLC Beads
2005-10-10, 7:12pm
What cool vases! Darn... I gotta go make another one. *itching at arm in appropriate bead-addict fashion and wandering off*

ltsexpressions
2005-10-10, 9:16pm
What cool vases! Darn... I gotta go make another one. *itching at arm in appropriate bead-addict fashion and wandering off*

Nik,

Where are the implosion sheepies???

*giggle*

*giggle*

*skipping off to find my pillow for the night*

Stac

NLC Beads
2005-10-11, 2:44pm
*scowl* Go away, you. I can't do that to my poor sheep. ;)

GlassJules
2005-10-11, 3:14pm
At our local Treasure Valley bead gathering this weekend, a wonderful gal whose name escapes me was showing her implosion beads based on this thread, and I had been playing with Anakin's tutorial for doing marble implosions, so I had to come out here and read this...this is very fun! My pictures didn't turn out very good, because I was taking them in a hurry this AM on my way out the door, but here you go:

Thanks Moth for the cool tutorial!

NLC Beads
2005-10-11, 6:09pm
Oooohhh... Pretty... :)

Vicki B.
2005-10-11, 6:44pm
Thanks so much for this tutorial! I tried it on my HH this afternoon and it worked! Bead's in the kiln. Lots of possibilities with this! It was actually fun and I didn't have a thick mandrel ready and didn't make the disc as wide and it STILL worked!

ltsexpressions
2005-10-11, 9:07pm
*scowl* Go away, you. I can't do that to my poor sheep. ;)

hey, I said IMPLOSION, not EXPLOSION!!! that's gotta be better, right?

*sticking out pouty lip, apologetically*

fyrsmith
2005-10-11, 11:57pm
Ok, everyone was having so much fun with this that I had to try it too :-D Of course, boro is so stiff that it doesn't drip down the mandrel like soft glass apparently does, so my implosion didn't go as far as I wanted. The clear end looked kinda bare, so I put a couple of flowers on it. What do you think?

-Don-

beadlvr
2005-10-12, 5:56am
Don,that is so beautiful, looks like a new garden of budding flowers.
Sherry

Beadbug
2005-10-12, 11:51am
Is it possible to do this with frit on the inside and if so how would I go about getting the frit stuck to the disk side?

I worked at it today and got the basics of it down. I love the looks of it and will post photos once I get calmed down and stop looking at the bead so long that it causes cracks LOL. Oh the things we know we shouldn't do.

Thanks, Tracy

Cheddarlander
2005-10-12, 9:34pm
I'm joining in the Implosion Bandwagon! I couldn't stop making them . . . Mary: Thanks so much for sharing that awesome tutorial with us! Your diagram was great, too! Big hugs to you!! Your generosity is amazing!!

Here are my first attempts:
5529 5527

beadlvr
2005-10-13, 7:07am
Wow!! Gorgeous, Karen. Aren't these fun. Everyone has done a wonderful job. My husband made one (I do best by watching first) and he had a ball. I need more colors. Thanks again for such a great tutorial, Mary :)
Sherry

adovbs
2005-10-13, 9:22am
Is it possible to do this with frit on the inside and if so how would I go about getting the frit stuck to the disk side?

I've done one with frit on the flat side of the disk. I made the disk as usual, then turned it face upwards so that the mandrel was sticking straight up, then dropped frit all along the hot disk and heated it gently from the bottom and mashed it till it fused. Then I turned it back to horizontal and proceeded from there as usual. Came out interesting. I don't have a pic, tho. Post when you do yours, I'd love to see it!

Teresa

adovbs
2005-10-13, 9:23am
I'm joining in the Implosion Bandwagon! I couldn't stop making them

Yeah, they are kinda like those potato chips - you can't make just one! lol

Teresa

Beadbug
2005-10-13, 6:40pm
Thanks Teresa,
I will try the frit tomorrow. I made somemore today and had some turn out great. I will take some photos and post tomorrow.

Tracy

Moth
2005-10-17, 11:01am
Hi, I just love this tutorial and the instructions were extremely easy to follow as I am still learning - took a class almost a month ago, teaching my husband and he made one last night. My question is....on the ones that I see flowers on them, were they applied after the final shaping and then encased again? Thanks again for this wonderful tutorial. Everyone's projects are so lovely and so different.
Sherry

Hi Sherry!

For the ones that I make, I do the implosion, get the final shape right...then I add the flowers. I don't generally encase again after the flowers, but there is no reason not to do that if you like.

Have fun with it!!

~~Mary

Moth
2005-10-17, 11:03am
At our local Treasure Valley bead gathering this weekend, a wonderful gal whose name escapes me was showing her implosion beads based on this thread, and I had been playing with Anakin's tutorial for doing marble implosions, so I had to come out here and read this...this is very fun! My pictures didn't turn out very good, because I was taking them in a hurry this AM on my way out the door, but here you go:

Thanks Moth for the cool tutorial!

GlassJules!!! That is gorgeous! If that is what it looks like in pictures that you think didn't turn out very good, then I can only imagine how they look in-hand!

=D> =D>

~~Mary

Moth
2005-10-17, 11:05am
Vickie...how is it going girl??? Have anything to post yet?

Don...I have one of your vessels from a WC vessel exchange...still love it!! Your mandrel implosions in boro are great! Have you tried anymore? I can imagine it is a whole different 'feel'!

~~Mary

Moth
2005-10-17, 11:08am

I worked at it today and got the basics of it down. I love the looks of it and will post photos once I get calmed down and stop looking at the bead so long that it causes cracks LOL. Oh the things we know we shouldn't do.

Thanks, Tracy

Hi Tracy!
I can't see any reason not to do it with frit. I would bring the disk up under the flame and get the inside surface good and hot. Hold it vertical, the sprinkle the frit onto the hot glass disk. Gradually reintroduce into the flame to get it all adhered...then proceed as with dots.

Be sure to let us know how it goes for you!
~~Mary

Moth
2005-10-17, 11:09am
I've done one with frit on the flat side of the disk. I made the disk as usual, then turned it face upwards so that the mandrel was sticking straight up, then dropped frit all along the hot disk and heated it gently from the bottom and mashed it till it fused. Then I turned it back to horizontal and proceeded from there as usual. Came out interesting. I don't have a pic, tho. Post when you do yours, I'd love to see it!

Teresa

Yeah! Zactly! LOL I should have read further and I wouldn't have had to make that last post.

Moth
2005-10-17, 11:17am
Karen, what a bounty of implosions! I don't think I've ever made that many at one sitting before. Great job and I love the colors. Aren't they a blast to make?

I even made one myself last night. Here it is:

~~Mary

Beadbug
2005-10-19, 7:16pm
Thanks for the frit answer. I haven't tried it yet. I have made about 10 or more inplosion beads. They were beautiful but all broke. Even the ones I put straight into the kiln! I will have to give up the Luscha sp? Well now that I think of it the ones with the light colored transparent glass broke too so what is up with that.

Beadbug
2005-10-19, 7:47pm
Well here they are many more than 10 try 16. Most are done with clear luscha sp? Several are done with pale transparetns. Oh well try try again.

Moth
2005-11-02, 9:05am
Awww...that's a shame that they are broke! It looks like you have some very fun color combinations there.

It is hard to tell from the picture if you have a crazing sort of cracking, or simply thermal shocking. I am leaning toward thermal shock.

I know they are cool to watch, but these are pretty moody as far as letting them get too cold before garaging them. Especially if you are using effetre special colors, such as all those reds with lauscha.

I would recommend, making sure that after you have achieved your final shape, bring the whole bead back to a nice deep glow. Not necessarily BRIGHT, just DEEP. Then get them into the kiln faster.

Have you had any luck with these since this last post?

~~Mary

Deb
2005-11-02, 4:49pm
Great oogalie boogalie!!!! How did I miss this tutorial? I'll be giving this a try tomorrow.

Mary, your ROCK!!!!

Thanks,

Deb

Beadbug
2005-11-03, 7:09pm
Thanks Mary, I have tried not looking at them once they are done and getting them hot and putting right into the kiln but no luck. I am not giving up.

Tracy

dogmaw
2005-11-03, 7:16pm
You can do it! Once you get the knack they are so much fun.

plain&fancy
2005-11-04, 3:22pm
Thank you Moth =D> I was raring to try this after I found the thread yesterday afternoon. Got 6 made this morning and here they are:
I added clear glass to the end to get the round shape, added leaf stringer and melted it in then the raised roses on the outside. I had a hard time getting a good photo. Even thought much of the shortness of my implosion threads is due to my adding a lot of clear on the small end to make a round; I still didn't get as long an implosion as I would have liked. Any suggestions?
thanks again for this great tutorial.
lisa

plain&fancy
2005-11-04, 4:10pm
Here is a better close up that shows the implosion
lisa

chocolatier
2005-11-05, 10:45am
Thank you for your wonderful, easy to understand tutorial. And I love your quote:

"with great chocolate comes great responsibility"

As many of you know that's what I do for a living....

Hugs, Linda G.

plain&fancy
2005-11-05, 4:41pm
another few today. These were pressed in my zoozi bead pressed after implosion.
lisa

prospeak
2005-11-08, 6:51am
Thanks for a great demo!
Walter

Sherry
2005-11-08, 10:18am
Thanks so much for this, Mary!

I did a few of these yesterday, and they're fairly addictive. A far cry from my one and only off-mandrel attemp, which, come to think of it, is still attached to the punty! :rolleyes:

The ones that I did aren't picture worthy, but if I do some decent ones, I'll post them.

Sherry

SadiesJewels
2005-11-10, 9:30am
ooh ... I'm going to try this!

Sadie

Lara
2005-11-10, 2:07pm
I have tried this is the past and got nothing as cool as these. Good job ya'll

plain&fancy
2005-11-10, 2:48pm
I posted these in the gallery but wanted to show them here as well. I am addicted!
lisa

bousky
2005-11-21, 11:18am
Thank you Mary for taking the time to put this tutorial together. Someday, I may give it a try. But for now having insight to a mystery is enough!
Thanks again,
Michelle

BeadieEyedWoman
2005-11-22, 4:39am
These are fun to do..

Toni L.
2005-11-22, 11:38am
Ok now fire fans...I just read this entire thread and MUST fire it up tonight and try this! Gorgeous work everyone - and SUPER SIZED THANK YOU to Mary for the tut!
I'll be back!
:)
Toni

Moth
2005-11-22, 12:53pm
More pictures you guys!!

I'm loving all the different twists you are taking.

~~Mary

*MAR*
2005-11-23, 12:23am
Thanks for this tutorial Mary. I have run out of clear stringers, but once I get more, I'll be back on the horse trying more. Here's a picture of my first two implosion beads. (see the two on the left). I had a hard time getting my implosions to move through the bead, they were sorta short. Do I need to build up the dots higher?

http://static.flickr.com/30/62690762_2184a56d2d.jpg

Moth
2005-11-23, 7:23pm
Thanks for this tutorial Mary. I have run out of clear stringers, but once I get more, I'll be back on the horse trying more. Here's a picture of my first two implosion beads. (see the two on the left). I had a hard time getting my implosions to move through the bead, they were sorta short. Do I need to build up the dots higher?

Those look great!

If you want the implosions to travel further, you need to make your clear disk a larger diameter and do more rows of dots. Even the tiniest of dots will make a decent sized implosion, so I dont think it is the dot size that keeps them short. It is the size of the disk.

Let me know how that works out for ya.

=D>=D>

~~Mary

plain&fancy
2005-11-23, 7:48pm
a close up of another set I really love making these.8-)
lisa

*MAR*
2005-11-24, 9:16pm
Thanks for the tip Mary! I use a HH, so it is a long ordeal getting a big clear disk. But, I will be renting some torch time on a Bobcat this coming week, and I am definitely going to use the opportunity with a hotter torch to melt a bunch of slow melting transparent glass! I'll report back with the results of my experiment. mwah ha ha ha ha ha (*mad scientist laugh!*)

Best,
M

Barb H.
2005-11-24, 9:16pm
Wow! These ARE soooooooooo addicting. I couldn't help from keep making them in between the turkey fixings! LOL But.....yes the family and friends did get fed. I can see how these beads will crack. You seem to be mesmerized, and stare a bit too long before getting them in the kiln. Thanks Mary for the great tut!

Kevan
2005-11-24, 9:43pm
Hollow spots have to be big bubbles next to the mandrell. You can't possibly clean those out.

Everyone remembers when they couldn't make a round bead. It will happen, just keep trying. Never give up! Never surrender!

alissa
2005-12-03, 10:41pm
Okay, I just tried this technique today and I am IN LOVE. No, make that LUST. Since my first attempts were very crappy... lol. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - my understanding of the properties of melting glass have been significantly enhanced. And I have a great idea for a direction to take based on this - very exciting.

Thank you x100000000!!!

Moth
2005-12-04, 9:18am
Okay, I just tried this technique today and I am IN LOVE. No, make that LUST. Since my first attempts were very crappy... lol. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - my understanding of the properties of melting glass have been significantly enhanced. And I have a great idea for a direction to take based on this - very exciting.

Thank you x100000000!!!

Can't wait to see what you are working on!!!

~~Mary

Tink
2005-12-09, 12:44am
I *finally* found enough time to read this thread all the way through! Wonderful! I can't wait to try it! Thank you, Mary!!!!!!

tazzielou
2005-12-09, 7:58pm
Thanks so much Mary! I have so much fun with your tutorial! I love making these beads.

Kerry S. Caron
2006-01-21, 8:14pm
Hey there Moth/Mary,
I have no idea what it is I am doing worng.. I am working on a H.H. maybe that is the problem,, the beads I have made using your technique are great but the all crack,, any suggestions..? smiles Kerry

Moth
2006-01-22, 1:17pm
Hi Kerry!

I don't think it matters what torch you use. I loved my hothead...rock on!

What colors are you encasing and which clear are you using?

Also, what temps are you using to anneal and are you batch annealing or garaging while you work?

~~Mary

Moth
2006-01-22, 1:18pm
Thanks so much Mary! I have so much fun with your tutorial! I love making these beads.

Oh I love those...and look at the wee frog!!!

\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

~~Mary

Kerry S. Caron
2006-01-22, 1:30pm
Hey there Mary,
Okay that is the problem ,,, I do not have a kile on site, and the bead cracks before I can get it to my ffriends kiln,,, I will try some at his place and see if that helps.. thanks for your reply Mary..

beadlvr
2006-02-12, 1:51pm
Here is a key fob DH made with Mary's tutorial. Thanks Mary :love:

Moth
2006-02-13, 7:57am
Hi Sherry!!!

Your hubby did a great job! Is that his very first one??

Love the HOT HOT colors!

:-)

beadlvr
2006-02-13, 8:42am
Hi Mary, this isn't his first one but the earlier ones I have to see if I can find as my girls like to lay claim to beads and they stash them somewhere :) He made a couple where after shaping he did a droop/gravity swirl and they are so pretty. I will get pictures taken and post those also. Thanks again for this wonderful and easy to follow tutorial.=D>

ltsexpressions
2006-02-13, 11:06am
a close up of another set I really love making these.8-)
lisa

I am loving this style with the flowers....

any tips on placement of dots to get these kind???

Being Monday I am brain dead and can't put my brain around how to do this one.....

Angela Schoonen
2006-02-13, 11:19am
Here is my first attempt at an implosion bead and a vessel. Decided to combine the two and am SO pleased with the results. Moth is getting this one as a 'thank you' for such a great tutorial.
http://www.angelaschoonen.com/images/ebay/implosionvessel.jpg

BarbC
2006-02-15, 8:13pm
I have been avoiding this one because I thought I could not do it or even come close to it! I can't wait till friday when I can give it a go!! Thanks for the great tutorial Mary and all the great pictures from every one!=D>

cantstopbeading
2006-03-12, 1:58pm
=D> Oh wow, these are awesome! I cannot wait to try this technique. Thanks for sharing. Gives me something new to challenge myself with.\\:D/

Bob Torbett
2006-03-13, 9:01am
Mary, Great tutorial. Where I am having trouble is making a disk that doesn't fall apart. It's like I can't get the wraps to bond to each other. Any suggestions or tips ????
By the way, I'm using a HH.

Bob

Moth
2006-03-14, 9:55pm
Hi Bob!

:-k

It seems to me that if you can't get the subsequent rows of clear to stick together when you are winding them in a disk...that they aren't hot enough. But, if the glass is moving, which it obviously MUST be, since you are wrapping it around in a disk...then it MUST be hot enough.

I'm thinking maybe I don't understand the question, so I'm just gonna tell ya how I do it maybe that'll fix it.

First, I heat a small portion of the mandrel to glowing, then I heat a 5mm rod of clear to glowing and touch it to the mandrel. (Many times when I was on a Hothead, I would use clear stringer for this. The commercially pulled stringer is between 2-3mm in diameter and would do ya right with this technique.) I make one round about the mandrel to form something like a spacer bead.

Then, I keep that spacer bead dropped below (or in your case, behind) the flame, and the rod of glass IN the flame. As the glass in the flame becomes soft, I push it onto the spacer bead as I turn the mandrel. I let it get plenty soft too...not just bendable. You want to be able to push the rows of clear together so they get nice and fat, and stuck together. If you just kinda thread the glass around for the disk, it will be thin and weak.

Once you have a fat, rudimentary disk made, put your clear glass rod down and pick up a pair of mashers. Heat the disk in the flame, and mash it with the mashers, turning the mandrel between mashes. You are trying to make a sideways pizza crust out of molten glass on a stick...kinda like tapping your toes, rubbing your belly and patting your head all at the same time.

Don't worry, you will get it.

If you have mashed your disk all the way around and it looks pretty even thickness-wise, but you have more glass on one side of the mandrel than the other, you can always paint more glass onto the skimpy side, around the circumfrence. Once you have done a hundred of these, you will be winding perfect disks like there is no tomorrow. But if you are having trouble...use your hand tools to help you do the job.

Remember...when you are first forming the rows of clear around the disk, push your rod of clear against the last row you made so that it spreads out and makes good contact. The trick being, keep your disk out of the flame, and your clear rod IN the flame...that way, your disk is stiff enough to push against with the molten clear. I think that is key in your case.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll try again.

:biggrin:
~~Mary

Bob Torbett
2006-03-15, 9:26am
Thanks Mary, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've been keeping the bead below the flame and not behind. I haven't made that adjustment in my technique for the HH. I'll also pull some clear stringers and try that. Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Moth
2006-03-20, 7:16am
So, how goes it Bob??

Bob Torbett
2006-03-21, 7:03am
That was the problem. I have moved to the back behind the rod and they are now staying put. Thanks a bunch.

Bob

cantstopbeading
2006-03-24, 5:44pm
To All,

Wow! All of your implosion beads are awesome. I am jealous. LOL

I am going to give it a shot tonight at my first one or dozen depending on how they come out! LOL

Thanks

cantstopbeading
2006-03-25, 8:38am
;-) Well I think I will stick to animal beads. LOL LOL LOL:lol:

I made two implosion beads last night. First came out like a christmas tree light as far as shape goes and second was an attempt at red/white/blue patriotic and it got fat and I could not get it shaped correctly and also threw some steriling silver 999 dots on it with wire which was also an experiment which cracked on me.

Well come to find out why I was having such a hard time is, I RAN OUT OF GAS during a bead after the implosions.:sad: So I guess this explains why I could not get them as hot as I wanted. LOL I will try again. If I get some spare time, I will take pics and post them but they are not so hot. If anything, they will give you a chuckle or two! LOL I am getting a new tank today and will give it another shot though. Not ready to give up yet.

Thanks for the awesome tutorial on these. It really helped or I wouldn't have had a clue how to even begin making one of these implosions.:cool:

cantstopbeading
2006-03-26, 5:49am

Here is my first, YUK! Flaming Christmas bulb that cracked. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sorry about glare in pic but couldn't be helped. The second implosion experiement is for my eyes only as that one was worse than this one. LOL

Moth
2006-03-27, 9:37pm
That was the problem. I have moved to the back behind the rod and they are now staying put. Thanks a bunch.

Bob

That's great Bob! Hope you share them with us sometime!

Moth
2006-03-27, 9:39pm

Here is my first, YUK! Flaming Christmas bulb that cracked. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sorry about glare in pic but couldn't be helped. The second implosion experiement is for my eyes only as that one was worse than this one. LOL

Paula, you are being too hard on yourself. My first one didn't look as good as YOUR first one! Trust me on that! :grin:

Hope you post pics of your next ones too! I love to watch the progression.

~~Mary

HONEYBUNNY72_99
2006-06-11, 9:14am
Very cool tutorial!I was wondering how the heck these were made LOL!
Tina

BoniBell
2006-06-23, 7:41pm
I am so glad this thread got brought back. I'm not good at searching, but I read the first few posts, got excited, made some beads.

Then I came back to find out more and realized I was about 6 months behind on the histeria, but I still love this process. The tutorial was so easy to understand that I of did it from memory of the pictures.

I tried several of my own variations before I read the whole thread. They will be out of the kiln tomorrow, but no pictures until Monday probably.

Bunyip
2006-07-05, 6:42am
I've only made one implosion bead so far, great tutorial, thanks! For your viewing pleasure, I present my implosion bead. (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/15236/implosion_small.jpg)

I even made one myself last night. Here it is:

~~Mary

How do you get those layers of color? I want to try that out! Mine came out looking much more like a chrysanthemum.

Moth
2006-07-06, 6:32pm
I love the look of that implosion! I think you did a great job. As far as getting the different layers of color in the one you referenced, I just continued putting rings of dots around the mandrel and each ring was a different color. I think what it happening with yours is that you aren't bringing enough rings of dots all over the surface of the disk clear out to the edges.

Put more dots and see what happens.

~~Mary

Have fun!

Moth
2006-08-29, 9:40am
Bunyip, how is it going? Did increasing the number of dots help your issues? I'd love to see more pix.

~~Mary

cjglass
2006-08-30, 11:51am
:love: Mary,
thanks so much for the tutorial.....I'm just learning my way around LE etc.
Thanks also to all the inspiring threads from everyone else.
this, I've got to try.
Cheryl

mary1_$
2006-11-02, 11:32pm
wow what great beads. Cant wait to try it.

ellyloo
2006-11-03, 11:11am
here are my implosions. *sigh*

not so hot.

http://www.ellyloo.com/imp2.jpg
http://www.ellyloo.com/imp3.jpg

I have to practice my dot placement.

DeboraCox_facetsdesigns
2006-11-12, 11:47pm
Mary - I've really enjoyed your tutorial and all the subsequent post, pics and tips. Will try this out and get one posted!
Deb

uniqueleigh
2006-12-22, 7:26pm
Hello, all I am new so I wanted to say a brief hello. HELLO! :waving:

I also wanted to ask for HELP :oops: I have tried to follow the tutorials and just can't get it right. I am also new to lampworking.

My problem is that I have to be heating the disk incorrectly while adding dots because the glass melts away from the mandrel enough to spin on its own and then I can't continue very well. :( And to top it off I can't seem to get it to the molten point of sagging down into being a bead.. HELPPPPPP! ](*,)

I am frustrated so very, very frustrated. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

I am on a hot head torch
I am using COE 104 glass
I have tried a larger and a smaller mandrel.

Any help would be so wonderful. [-o< Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful things you do to create and the sharing too. AND A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! Leigh

playswithfire104
2006-12-22, 8:18pm
Leigh don't feel bad. I've been lampworking about 3 years and I still can't do them. I was finally able to do an off mandrel one with boro. When I tried to do it with moretti I couldn't. Maybe someone else will chime in and tell us that one piece of info we are missing.

DeboraCox_facetsdesigns
2006-12-22, 11:10pm
hi gals - i just made the disc, then added the dots on one side, while keeping the disc warm, not in the flame, just to the side of the flame, flashing it in the flame when adding dots. Once I had all the dots on that I wanted, I brought the disc in with my mandrel pounted more vertically, kept rotating. Melted in the dots SLOWLY and let the glass slowly slump down. I was careful not to get air trapped in there, so went real SLOW. I just kept my mandrel more vertical and kept turning it until the dots melted on down the mandrel. Then I added a bit of glass at the end to finish off each end. Here's a few pics...

hope this helps. Be sure you are working the hothead cool...

here are a few pics

Merry Christmas and happy torching!
Deb

uniqueleigh
2006-12-22, 11:59pm
Nancy, I tried an off mandrel one also and seemed to do alittle better. Hopefully there is hope. LOL Thanks for the reply. Leigh

uniqueleigh
2006-12-23, 12:11am
Once I had all the dots on that I wanted, I brought the disc in with my mandrel pounted more vertically, kept rotating. Melted in the dots SLOWLY and let the glass slowly slump down.

While your doing this in a vertical tip, do you have the torch flame aimed in towards the inside where the dots are?

I was careful not to get air trapped in there, so went real SLOW. I just kept my mandrel more vertical and kept turning it until the dots melted on down the mandrel.

And do you keep the flame towards the inside of the disk/w/dots until it melts down? Or do you heat from the outside while it slumping?

Be sure you are working the hothead cool...

Working the hothead cool? I do not know exactly the meaning for cool? I am still pretty new to alot of the terms and all.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. And those beads are wonderful. Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS, Leigh

uniqueleigh
2006-12-23, 1:01pm
ACK!!! It still isn't working. Every once in awhile I get one closed. My biggest issue I think is the dang thing loosening up to slide off the mandrel. Ugh! I can't quit till I get it right but, I have a feeling I am gonna run out of clear first.

I can only guess that I am still getting to much heat into the mandrel for the glass to do this.

Am I suppose to work with the flame cooler? Then it seems that I can not get the disk to slump down. Time to take a nap and see if I can dream it right!

Leigh

ellyloo
2006-12-23, 2:00pm
I've done a couple, and you go slow, and bring the disk with your dots up under the flame until the RIM of the disk is heating up and expanding. You know how a sharp edge will all of a sudden 'bloom' in the heat and expand? That's what you want to keep doing.

Keep rotating the EDGE of the disk in the flame, it will keep expanding over to the side if you have your mandrel tilted, and it'll 'suck' the dots up into itself. Don't even touch the middle of the disk or the mandrel with the flame.

Just like making a bead from a disk, only you have the glass travel down hill at the same time.

heheh. i do the dreaming thing too. :)

playswithfire104
2006-12-25, 6:44pm
[QUOTE=ellyloo;909677]

Just like making a bead from a disk, only you have the glass travel down hill at the same time.

QUOTE]

When I read that something clicked in my head. I haven't tried one of these lately - because I found them so frustrating. Now I can't wait till I have some free time to get on the torch. Thanks so much!!

Hayley
2006-12-25, 8:36pm
Leigh,

If I am reading your post correctly, the disk loosen from the mandrel and slides off? You may want to try it with a different brand of bead release. I haven't done this recently, but when I first read this post, I rushed to do a few and was successful on a HotHead. So the torch is not the problem. I remember one of the disks did come off the mandrel - try using the thickest mandrel you have and lay down the footprint of your disk pretty wide for better grip.

Hope that helps.

Hayley

SL Beads
2007-01-07, 9:57am
http://53667I can successfully make a disk with clear glass alright, but then the problems start. When I try to melt the ropey disk down with a parallel masher, the bead release loosen and break off. Some times I got lucky and passed that stage, but when I tried to mash down the dot designs I must be too aggressive with the tool the bead does not survive that step. I was so disgusted and disappointed that I decided to leave the ropeyness of the disk alone and also the bumpyness of the dot design and proceeded to go to the next step and finish it off. You can see the result of this in my picture. If you look at the beads closely, you can see the wavey design on the dots that come from the ropey disk, I think. If you don't know the process, you might think this is an added dimension to the design. I think it's kind of neat. So,my questions to the successful implosionits is "How much do you have to mush the ropey designs and also the dots and how do you accomplish it?" Also, as you can see, I used a lot of twisty cane for this and I enjoyed that, although I must say that this is not the typical implosion effect that we are trying to create. Please excuse me for the poor photographic setup. Sachiko L.

playswithfire104
2007-01-07, 8:58pm
Those look good to me Sachiko. I'd be happpy if i could make beads like that!

Moth
2007-01-11, 10:56am
Hi Sachiko!

I think yours look great!!! Your bead release seems to be the real problem causer here. It should not break free that easily. Let the clear disk get softer before you mash it and it won't take as much force to get the ripples out. However, I do like the look of the ripples.

After I have all the dots onto the disk, I do not mash them in with the mashers. I melt them in with the flame until they are melted smooth. You have to do this slowly, and only allow the dots themselves become molten. You don't want to soften the disk until you are ready to do the implosion part.

Remember you guys...slow down. It's not a race. Heat only the part of the bead that you need to heat and only deep enough to do what you need to do. If it starts becoming too hot...then take it out of the flame, let it cool down a bit then reintroduce it into the flame. Don't be afraid to turn your torch down and up as needed.

I would say that 80% of your success with these beads is heat control. They are an excellent lesson for you to learn where in the flame and how long to heat it. If you get these down...the lessons you learn will help you will ALL your other lampwork.

Keep trying. You are doing great!!!

~~Mary

SL Beads
2007-01-11, 4:06pm
Thank you Mary for your advice. I know I should be more patient with this bead. I have another question for you. Your implosion looks so juicy and plump compared with mine which sometimes looks like paper thin potatochips. I wonder if the bottom of the disk should have larger and fewer dots? It's really puzzling to me. Sachiko L.

FourTailsLampwork
2007-01-15, 8:52pm
I wondered that, too. Here are three views of my first implosion bead, and the "flower" stops about halfway up. I was interrupted, though, and didn't melt the dots in totally flat before collapsing the bead. The bottom has a lovely grainy petal--the EDP devitted, and ifor once I am happy about that, because t looks good--each deep pink petal has a spread-out shadow of palest white etching.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mincot/Beads/implosion3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mincot/Beads/implosion2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mincot/Beads/implosion1-1.jpg

I used transparent dark, dark violet for the center dots, then added goldstone stringer and EDP dots, interleaved with transparent sage green dots, and then another layer of EDP and goldstone stringer.

raindance
2007-01-24, 10:00am
Wow, Mary! I did it! You are such a great teacher! Because if your help I can do flowers...now I can do this! You're my hero! I need much more practice because, like you say, this is an exercise in heat control and patience...but so worth the effort!

P.S. Pardon the bead release in the picture. I was in such a hurry to get a picture and so excited when they came out of the kiln, I didn't clean these first.\\:D/

jacquidol
2007-01-25, 8:36pm
I've been lurking around here forever, but I have to say this is one great tut!

Here're my results for my first two..... I have the cone shape listed on the 'Bay, and the heart goes up tonight or tomorrow! Thanks again everyone for sharing such greta pictures and hugs to Moth again for the wonderful tut!
Jacqui

raindance
2007-01-25, 11:14pm
Hi Sachiko!

I think yours look great!!! Your bead release seems to be the real problem causer here. It should not break free that easily. Let the clear disk get softer before you mash it and it won't take as much force to get the ripples out. However, I do like the look of the ripples.

When I have problems making these, it's with my release failing. It happens during the disk stage while melting in the dots. I'm always careful to keep the glass hot enough so the release won't let go. I haven't been using mashers. I use Super Blue Sludge bead release. Is there anything I can do to make it stronger...such as adding kiln wash to it? What brand of bead release do you use, Mary?

It doesn't always happen. I made 5 hearts tonight, but two disks went to the watery grave. It's just so frustrating and such a waste! :sad:

uniqueleigh
2007-01-31, 7:14am
Does someone have the definition of implosion. Meaning what exactly is the implosion in these. I have heard remarks about seeing the implosion before melting the disk down. I thought the implosion was actually once the disks melts down around the dots. But, of course my brain is not the brightess. LOL

Okay, so far this is what I found to be my biggest issues (some I have figured out fixes to. Some I have not. And some I just haven't found to be consistant it. So look futher down for some of the resolutions that I found) I am working with soft glass and I am on a HH.

1. While making the disk sometimes rows/strings fall off and apart.
2. Getting a uniform disk versus a odd sqaure shape
3. Disk cracking from edge to center
4. Not being able to actually melt my dots in completely
5. While working the disk down it releases from the mandrel (bead release breaks)
6. Not getting much movement in the dots. (meaning that the dots at the outside of the disk move but the ones closer to the mandrel seem to remain dots)

Some solutions or ideas on these problems

1. I found that if I do not get my rod hot enough to flow really well it does not bond with the ring below it and leaves a space. Also, each time I lift me rod back at the completion of a ring (say the start and stop) if the glass is not completely and solidly fused to the row below you will get seperations between your row/rings as the glass starts to cool and heat up. Hence you will have parts of your rings falling off. So, you do have to have your glass hot enough that is completely bonding to each ring with no lifted spaces and not having ends that don't meet up with each other and melted to the row below. So make sure you are getting enough heat for great bonding but, not enough to distort the disk badly.

2. Again this goes back to taking it slow and making sure the glass you are adding is hot and you can keep the movement going around the disk. Just try to keep it slow and uniform. You can add glass but, it seems to be better if you get it right the first time. LOL Take it slow and practice practice pratice.

3. If you are getting this type of cracking it is because your disk is cooling down too much. (I know all of us know this but, a reminder is always good) If I am working on making the disk and it is taking awhile to get it uniform and large enough I will stop adding rings and flash the disk well then go back to adding rings. If I am at the point of adding dots I literally add one dot flash one dot flash. Now if I am working fast because things are running smoothly for once (LOL) I will do a couple dots and flash and so on. You will learn what speed works for you.

4. Okay I still have not found the perfect solution for myself on this one. I can NOT seem to get those babies flat for nothing. I almost always while trying to get them flat (via mashing, extra heating, etc.) create new problems so this is one that is frustrating me completely. Yes I know PP&P. But, any ideas or suggestions on this would be great.

5. Okay, I now know the problems that are causing this - mashing and cause stress in the bead release and over heating causing the glass to pull away from the mandrel. So, I am supposing that I need to go even slower in the heating depart while making sure not to over heat the mandrel but, making sure that the disk is hot enough to safely mash the disk so that I am not causing stress on the bead release.

6. I am pretty certain that I am not getting the movement that I am wanting based on the dots not getting flat enough? So I am guessing if I find a remedy for that I will fix the movement issue?????

So, I haven't gotten it down pat yet but, I am hoping that by posting all this maybe it will help someone else some too. Anyway I am NOT giving up because they are driving me mad. I want to master implossion dog on it.

Happy torching all, LEIGH

My Bloody Valentine
2007-01-31, 10:39pm
Well this was such an easy to follow and understand tute that even a novice such as myself had the courage to follow it. I made two implosion beads, one not bad and the other one I quite liked. Course, that would be the one to crack whilst in the kiln. It's the only bead that cracked, so my guess is I did something wrong in that implosion...maybe I got an air bubble in there? Any hints on what I was doing wrong?

Thanks again for a marvellous tute *hugs*

one hot beader
2007-02-01, 4:29am
I've given up on implosions because all but one cracked in the vermiculite!

Even the one's i was careful to heat thoroughly!

might try it again now I have a bit more experience!

raindance
2007-02-04, 12:18am
4. Not being able to actually melt my dots in completely
5. While working the disk down it releases from the mandrel (bead release breaks)
6. Not getting much movement in the dots. (meaning that the dots at the outside of the disk move but the ones closer to the mandrel seem to remain dots)

Some solutions or ideas on these problems

4. Okay I still have not found the perfect solution for myself on this one. I can NOT seem to get those babies flat for nothing. I almost always while trying to get them flat (via mashing, extra heating, etc.) create new problems so this is one that is frustrating me completely. Yes I know PP&P. But, any ideas or suggestions on this would be great.

5. Okay, I now know the problems that are causing this - mashing and cause stress in the bead release and over heating causing the glass to pull away from the mandrel. So, I am supposing that I need to go even slower in the heating depart while making sure not to over heat the mandrel but, making sure that the disk is hot enough to safely mash the disk so that I am not causing stress on the bead release.

6. I am pretty certain that I am not getting the movement that I am wanting based on the dots not getting flat enough? So I am guessing if I find a remedy for that I will fix the movement issue?????

So, I haven't gotten it down pat yet but, I am hoping that by posting all this maybe it will help someone else some too. Anyway I am NOT giving up because they are driving me mad. I want to master implossion dog on it.

Happy torching all, LEIGH

Hi, Leigh! :waving: I've been working on my problem with the mandrel release cracking and I've not had much trouble since I made my initial footprint wider on the mandrel. I make about a 4-5 mm footprint...maybe even a little wider...for just the first trip around the mandrel. I've found I can even put dots on this wide part and still get a great implosion.

About the dots...I never get them all the way flat, but still get good implosions anyway. I just get them as flat as I can before I start imploding. I don't mash the disk at all before or after I add dots. I just use the edge of my graphite paddle to straighten the disk if it gets crooked. It doesn't seem to matter if my disk has ridges, as long as the glass I'm adding is well-bonded to the glass below as I add it to the disk.

The glass has to flow slowly and evenly to get good, long implosions, I've found. To get the glass ready to flow it needs enough even heat. Don't be afraid to heat it all the way to the first wind on the mandrel. If part of your disk is getting too hot, it's okay to take it out of the flame and let it cool a bit. I don't tilt my mandrel very much...just barely. When I'm aiming my flame at the rim, it seems to help when I let part of the flame flow around the rim to also heat the rings below. I kind-of allow the glass to slump down on itself before tilting the mandrel enough to let it flow down on the mandrel. I get a dense bowl-looking thing on the mandrel before I let the glass flow down. I direct some flame inside the bowl where the dots are, then behind the bowl in the back so it slumps down more (trying to get the bowl looking more like a plate) so I don't have an air pocket. Then I tilt the mandrel more and let-'er-rip.

It could be you aren't getting enough heat on the glass near the mandrel before it flows onto the mandrel. The dot won't move if the glass it's on doesn't get soft enough to flow. Don't worry about the shape of the bead...just the implosion. You can always re-shape and add more transparent or clear glass where it's needed after you get the implosion you want.

I'm pretty happy with the implosions I'm getting so far. (Post 194) My disk still has visible ridges and slightly raised dots when I start, but that soon cures itself as the glass gets softer and slumps. After it's flowed down the mandrel to where I want it to end, I take the bead out of the flame and cool it a bit until it's fairly solid. Then I go back into the flame to shape it.

I always use a larger, medium-sized mandrel to do these beads because it really does make it easier. If I use my thinnest mandrels, I make a big footprint to start, then I don't make my disk as large. I usually make it only 1 to 1 1/2 inches. The thin mandrels just won't hold big gobs of glass very well...you'll get major bead release issues.

Anyway...that's what I've learned so far. It may not be perfect...but it works for me! :lol:

Lora Rose
2007-04-04, 10:30pm
Your tutorial is wonderful! I can't wait to try it! It's good to have someone to look up to! Your beads are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Moth
2007-04-05, 9:35am
Thanks Lora! Hope to see some beads from you soon! Please post pictures if you can.

Great work everyone!

~~Mary

Smokeylady54
2007-04-07, 6:31am
THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL BEAD AND SUCH A WONDERFUL TUT.

YES CAPS. I AM SO IMPRESSED.

nancy

shiny things
2007-05-21, 8:40pm
Moth, thank you so much for teaching this technique! I always thought anything like this was encased, and my encasing stinks. I never thought I'd be able to make anything like that. I tried something that went totally wrong, came back and looked at the directions again (paid attention that time) and got it just like that! I've been like a kid in a candy shop since then. They're so much fun to make, I may not make anything but implosion beads ever again. There are three cooling in the kiln right now. I can't wait to see how they turned out. Your tutorial has given a newbie a lot more confidence, and a lot of new ideas.
Shanna

Moth
2007-05-21, 9:10pm
Hi Nancy & Shanna,
People like you are why I write tutorials.

Thanks so much for letting me know it helped.

Have fun!
~~Mary

Breezy
2007-06-13, 7:50am
Mary, thank you so much for your fantabulous tutorial! I had so much fun making this set. This is the first time I've posted pics, so hopefully I'm doing it right :)
Breezy73799

Kalera
2007-06-15, 10:34am
YAYYYY Miz B you finally posted pics! I love that set, it's GORGEOUS.

Moth
2007-06-15, 12:11pm
Hey Breezy!!!

Those are KILLER! Congratulations for making such a great set and thanks so much for sharing. Glad you posted a pic for us to see.

~~Mary

Aidensmommy
2007-09-17, 3:03pm
I can't wait to try it!!! Thank you so much for sharing with a newbie!!!

Aidensmommy
2007-09-19, 2:47pm
Thank you so much for the ideas. I finally tried it and although I never got the same result twice I loved how each one turned out. I am a newbie so I know they are by no means fantastic but what fun!!! Thank you again for sharing with us. I am going to try to attach the photo (1st time I've done this) ... I hope it works.

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-09-30, 1:23pm
Wow, I'm going to go try this. You all did awesome. I bow down to all of you!!

Lawst
2007-10-27, 10:07am
Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! I've seen this style before and could not for my life figure out how it was done. I gave it a shot last night. I still need some practice...and to warm up my shop. It's so cold in there right now that if I don't keep it well warmed the glass cools too fast when it's out of the flame. Because of that I have to work it too fast.

SunDoorBeads
2008-04-11, 7:09pm
I know this thread is older but I found it and tried it tonight and I can't believe how it worked!!! I still need loads of practice but with a toddler and a puppy I hope I can get some in. Mary your the best tutorial composer out there and thank you for sharing such an amazing technique.!!!! I will post pics manana.

Michelle
www.sundoorbeads.com

bob
2008-04-13, 7:24am
Hi Moth:

Great tutorial, I want to try one but am not sure what you meant when you said bring your decorative clear to the edge. What is the decorative clear.
Thanks
Bob Proulx

ziggys
2008-04-19, 10:25pm
Hi Moth:

Great tutorial, I want to try one but am not sure what you meant when you said bring your decorative clear to the edge. What is the decorative clear.
Thanks
Bob Proulx

Hi Bob, Here is what I think she means.
Mary wrote:
3- Continue rings of dots in a bullseye pattern, or even random still looks nice. Bring your decoration clear to the rim of your disk. Carefully melt these dots in flat. Do this very slowly. Remember, you do not want your disk to get soft yet. Only melt the dots.

Meaning, bring your rings of dots/decoration all the way out to the rim of the disk. Instead of meaning clear as in a type of glass, but as in "clear" (all the way) to the rim.

Hope that makes sense?

Mary,
I tried these and had LOTS of fun. Sadly 2 out of 3 I made cracked later on. One was thermal, though I popped it in the kiln right away. Not sure if I trapped air inside? That part I'm confused about.

And the other was a mad grab for a stringer to wrap around the thin end using the wrong COE. (I was so excited!) Drat!

Either way it was a blast. If I can heal the cracked one I'll TRY to take a picture worth posting.

I just love your tutorials. It's so much fun to experiment with new techniques I would never try without tutorials like yours.
Thank you!

bob
2008-04-20, 4:34am
Yes that clears it up,(no pun intended). Thanks for the help
Bob Proulx

ziggys
2008-04-22, 3:52pm
Yes that clears it up,(no pun intended). Thanks for the help
Bob Proulx

But it's such a GOOD pun! :-)

ziggys
2008-04-22, 4:44pm
This picture is ugly, or maybe it's the bead (lol) but it shows the Implossion better and that's what this is all about so....

ziggys
2008-04-22, 5:02pm
Ok, I'm getting picture happy...but here it is with the crack I mentioned.
I don't know why it cracked. I annealed it and a few days later it happened.
(I promise not to upload any more pictures, of this Implosion anyway. ;-) )

ziggys
2008-04-22, 5:10pm
I wondered that, too. Here are three views of my first implosion bead, and the "flower" stops about halfway up. I was interrupted, though, and didn't melt the dots in totally flat before collapsing the bead. The bottom has a lovely grainy petal--the EDP devitted, and ifor once I am happy about that, because t looks good--each deep pink petal has a spread-out shadow of palest white etching.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mincot/Beads/implosion3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mincot/Beads/implosion2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mincot/Beads/implosion1-1.jpg

I used transparent dark, dark violet for the center dots, then added goldstone stringer and EDP dots, interleaved with transparent sage green dots, and then another layer of EDP and goldstone stringer.

I love your color choices! I wish your pictures were a little bigger to really see it!

ziggys
2008-04-22, 5:12pm
Wow, Mary! I did it! You are such a great teacher! Because if your help I can do flowers...now I can do this! You're my hero! I need much more practice because, like you say, this is an exercise in heat control and patience...but so worth the effort!

P.S. Pardon the bead release in the picture. I was in such a hurry to get a picture and so excited when they came out of the kiln, I didn't clean these first.\\:D/

Oh! These are so pretty. Now I've got to try hearts!

The Glass Chef
2008-04-23, 5:42pm
I see this is an old thread but Wow! I am dying to try this! I have some time tomorrow so I will get to it first thing. If I can make this then I will think I've hit the big time! You are so nice to have shared this with all of us. My obsession with bead making continues!

!ngridh
2008-06-20, 11:29am
bless you! wonderful tutorial...easy to follow ;-)

The Glass Chef
2008-06-21, 6:32am
http://http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11307613

Moth
2008-07-19, 9:36pm
OH Peggy! I love 'em. Sorry it took me so long to see them. It had been so long since this thread was bumped up that I wasn't checking regularly. Great job and I love the shapes!

Angela, I'm sorry I missed you too! Thanks for clearing that up about the clear..you explained it perfectly.

Your bead is awesome, I'm so sorry it cracked. It is really hard to diagnose things like that from afar (heck it is hard to diagnose it up close sometimes), but if you aren't including anything in the beads that isn't normal (like silver or a different coe of glass), then the problem is more than likely thermal.

These beads go from a thin narrow profile that is cool much of the time while you decorate it, to a hot molten blob of flowing glass that wants desperately to be round. Then it goes through the shaping phase which can introduce a lot of uneven heating and spot cooling with tools. Then there is the post-production admiration phase where we stare at it for a while before we put it in the kiln. hehe.

Anyway, after you have the implosion done, be careful to keep an even, deep heat in the bead as you shape it. After you have it shaped, bring the bead up to a slow glow all over, pay close attention to the mandrel at the ends of the bead. If you heat the mandrel at those points, the heat travels up the steel into the core of the bead.

Here is a great heat control practice....make a narrow barrel bead on a mandrel...can be a simple, single color bead. Warm it up to where you think it is evenly heated. Turn off your lights or stick the bead into a dark spot under your bench and look carefully at it. You will see if you have it heated evenly or not. Usually your ends will look cooler than the rest.

Wherever the bead looks the coolest...it is the coolest. Remember from then on, that when you make a barrel bead, heat those areas last before garaging the bead in the kiln. It will help combat uneven cooling as the bead lowers temp down to the kiln temperature.

Another good one...make a fat barrel of white on the mandrel. Get it cool enough to where the white is opaque over the whole bead. Now, aim heat right at the mandrel near the bead hole (right up against the hole). The mandrel will start glowing, and the bead will start to go clear on you because the effetre/vetrofond white goes transparent when hot. This is just a demonstration of how you can sink heat into the middle of your bead, as well as heat the pesky ends by aiming heat onto the mandrel. It travels.

The mandrel will cool faster than the glass that is on it and sucks the heat out of the ends of your beads first. If you heat that mandrel area before you put it in the kiln, the bead has time to catch up to that heat loss with less stress.

Hope I explained that ok. It is after midnight, I'm tired but can't fall asleep because I drank too much coffee and I'm typing so fast I think I could be in some typing contest or something.

PM me if you need more help!
~~Mary

Moth
2008-07-19, 9:41pm
Aidensmommy...I'm so glad you had fun working on these! Thanks for sharing!!

~~Mary

ziggys
2008-07-19, 10:30pm
OH Peggy! I love 'em. Sorry it took me so long to see them. It had been so long since this thread was bumped up that I wasn't checking regularly. Great job and I love the shapes!

Angela, I'm sorry I missed you too! Thanks for clearing that up about the clear..you explained it perfectly.

Your bead is awesome, I'm so sorry it cracked. It is really hard to diagnose things like that from afar (heck it is hard to diagnose it up close sometimes), but if you aren't including anything in the beads that isn't normal (like silver or a different coe of glass), then the problem is more than likely thermal.

These beads go from a thin narrow profile that is cool much of the time while you decorate it, to a hot molten blob of flowing glass that wants desperately to be round. Then it goes through the shaping phase which can introduce a lot of uneven heating and spot cooling with tools. Then there is the post-production admiration phase where we stare at it for a while before we put it in the kiln. hehe.

"Post Production Admiration." I laughed out loud when I read that.

Anyway, after you have the implosion done, be careful to keep an even, deep heat in the bead as you shape it. After you have it shaped, bring the bead up to a slow glow all over, pay close attention to the mandrel at the ends of the bead. If you heat the mandrel at those points, the heat travels up the steel into the core of the bead.

Here is a great heat control practice....make a narrow barrel bead on a mandrel...can be a simple, single color bead. Warm it up to where you think it is evenly heated. Turn off your lights or stick the bead into a dark spot under your bench and look carefully at it. You will see if you have it heated evenly or not. Usually your ends will look cooler than the rest.

Wherever the bead looks the coolest...it is the coolest. Remember from then on, that when you make a barrel bead, heat those areas last before garaging the bead in the kiln. It will help combat uneven cooling as the bead lowers temp down to the kiln temperature.

Another good one...make a fat barrel of white on the mandrel. Get it cool enough to where the white is opaque over the whole bead. Now, aim heat right at the mandrel near the bead hole (right up against the hole). The mandrel will start glowing, and the bead will start to go clear on you because the effetre/vetrofond white goes transparent when hot. This is just a demonstration of how you can sink heat into the middle of your bead, as well as heat the pesky ends by aiming heat onto the mandrel. It travels.

The mandrel will cool faster than the glass that is on it and sucks the heat out of the ends of your beads first. If you heat that mandrel area before you put it in the kiln, the bead has time to catch up to that heat loss with less stress.

PM me if you need more help!
~~Mary

Huh! I never thought about the fact that the ends would cool fastest and the mandrel sucks the heat out, or adds it in depending.
But I bet that is exactly what happened. I made 3 beads and they all cracked. 2 cracked near the bottom! I have had very few beads crack, so this worried me since I didn't know what was wrong.

I do make sure to heat them well before they go in the kiln, (not counting the pause to admire them) and even turn off the lights to make sure the bead is glowing, but I never looked carefully at the ends! I just looked at the general glow of the bead.

Hope I explained that ok. It is after midnight, I'm tired but can't fall asleep because I drank too much coffee and I'm typing so fast I think I could be in some typing contest or something.

LOL! I think you won the typing contest. :-P But I can't talk 'cause I make the same mistake with chocolate covered espresso beans. You would think I would get that it's just like drinking coffee.

Thank you for explaining why this happens. I feel better about trying them again.
Angela

ryman
2008-07-20, 6:39am
Thank you Mary for the clear advice about heating evenly and paying more attention to the mandrel ends.! I tried again and made these waterlily beads that didn't crack! When I had attempted this style before I had such cracking issues I gave up. I just listed these in my Etsy and WOW, they sold within a half hour---- so thanks again.
Sharon

The Glass Chef
2008-07-21, 5:05am
Congrats on the sales! Those are gorgeous!
Peggy

Moth
2008-07-21, 6:31am
Yep, that heat the mandrel dealio goes with any bead I put in the kiln. I always heat the mandrel at the ends of the bead holes very last thing before I pop 'em in the kiln.

Sharon, I can see why those sold so quickly, they look like water lillies! Great job.

~~Mary

ziggys
2008-07-21, 5:52pm
Wow Ryman! Those are really pretty. I love the color combo too!

beybey
2008-08-02, 11:21am
Mary, Thank you for the Jellyfish tut. I can't wait to try it out. (beybey)

Crickets Beads
2008-10-27, 10:38pm
it was very kind of you to share your knowledge with us

sharon12345
2009-08-25, 5:15am
Hello all!

Im new to flameworking and I found this tutorial and was super impressed with the bead it makes and how easy the tutorial was to follow.

I have made 5 different beads using this tutorial and with each one they are looking more like the photos that have been uploaded in your guys individual post(s).

Quick question - Im using MAPP gas, a hot head, and soft glass. My disc color is a transparent color and my dots I am applying are a multi-color twistie that I made.
During the end of step 4 an before step 5 in the tutorial my latest beads have a crack mark in them that is perpendicular to the mandrel. The crack appears in the middle of the glass and no glass breask off. Each bead has 2 cracks one on each side of the mandrel.
I noticed the crack in as it shined in the light of my studio while the bead was in the flame. Unfortunately the crack is visible in the finish product.
Any thoughts on how I got this to happen? Or how to I stop it from happening in the future?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Sharon12345

Elegance_1
2009-08-25, 8:53am
Hi Sharon,

Those sound like thermal cracks which result from not keeping the whole bead hot enough. Since the outside cools quicker than the inside of the glass it can cause stress which results in the cracks.

sharon12345
2009-08-28, 5:50am
Seems like the more I practice the worse things are turning out...I had a bead split in half on me last night. It was kind of cool to see it sliced right down the center :) I was rushing before my Mapp gass ran out so I wasn't able to heat it as was previously suggested. The bead prior though my implosion didn't start until more then half then length of the bead had slanted.

Is there benefits in making the initial disc as thin as I can get it?
Any thoughts on how to get the first set of dots closer to the mandrel?
How do you control the starting point for when the dots are transformed into the implosion?

Sharon12345

Moth
2009-08-28, 8:30am
Your cracks are thermal- you aren't keeping the bead hot enough through the whole process OR you are letting it cool to fast at the end.

The benefit to making the initial disk as thin as you can is that your first row of dots will be closer to the top of the bead the thinner the disk is (and the closer your dots are to the mandrel when you apply them also affects this) . Thick disk- your first row of imploded dots will be further from the top. Thin disk- they will be closer.

The more you tilt the mandrel as you implode, the faster the implosion will happen- but it is a bit harder to control.

Best advice- make 200 of them- by then you will know exactly what causes what and how to make it happen on purpose. :-)

Good luck!
~~Mary

Thanks for the kind words!

aliciazim
2009-09-22, 8:51am
I have done the implosion bead with stripes. It cracked cuz I took it out of the kiln too soon. But, I had serious problems with the pointy end--I had to keep adding clear glass at that end and I ended up making it look like more of a vase. HOW do you get it to be ROUND instead of LONG??

FERRET
2009-09-22, 4:19pm
Thanks for the mandrel implosion tut Moth.
I have your jellyfish tut as well, and plan on using both techniques together in one bead pretty soon I hope. I have posted these two beads in the gallery section before but this is where I should have put them first.

simvet02
2009-09-23, 5:35am
You know, I tried this one two years ago when I was a beginner and made a mess of it. Maybe it's finally time to try it again. I think I can, I think I can...

firedancer
2009-10-10, 12:47pm
WOW, Just had to bump this one up again. I will be trying this tomorrow. Great Tutorial. Maybe since I have been torching for awhile, I can learn this. PPP

Moth
2009-10-16, 3:32pm
That's funny because I've been revisiting this one recently too! I hope you all share your latest attempts. I'll post mine too.

I've taken to letting them go off the end of the mandrel and making drop shaped pendants with the epoxied sterling bails. It's really fun.

Also, I've been making my first coil around the mandrel for the disk in black or one of the colors that I'll be using in the implosion. This gives a band of color around the top instead of clear. Then, after the implosion is done, I go back and add more of that first color to the pointy end to flesh it out.

I've been putting frogs on them mostly, but I'm using them as a base to jellyfish too. The imploded dots and stripes (try twisties for fun) add a lot of great 'reef' looking dimension to the core of the aquarium style beads. I imploded little murrini slices into this one:

Moth
2009-10-16, 3:43pm
Here is what it looks like if you implode stripes of twisties.

firedancer
2009-10-16, 6:20pm
Awesome, and thanks for the new techniques, you just mentioned.

LisaAF
2009-10-16, 7:45pm
Here is what it looks like if you implode stripes of twisties.

I love that!!!!!

Ellen R
2009-10-22, 12:32pm
I actually gasped when I saw the example bead at the end of the tutorial. I'm a complete newbie but know good forum etiquette. I will read all the messages before asking what kind of glass you used. lol

Ellen

Ellen R
2009-10-22, 12:44pm
I actually gasped when I saw the example bead at the end of the tutorial. I'm a complete newbie but know good forum etiquette. I will read all the messages before asking what kind of glass you used. lol

Ellen

asimeral
2009-10-22, 7:15pm
Wow! I've read all nine of these pages. I soooo want to try these implosions. Everybody's beads are an inspiration to me, and I hope I can do it too!

firedancer
2009-10-22, 7:44pm
I actually have a new cricket on order. I went to a afternoon thing over in Cape Coral, (10 lampworkers, meet) and they let me use a new cricket, It ruined me. I love my hothead, yet, that cricket, WOW, what a awesome torch. So I am going to wait, and try this, when I get the hang of the new torch. I follow this thread, and always will, because I love to see the pictures. I just gasp, when I see, this technique. More pics, always please.

Dirt Road
2009-12-07, 8:33am
Here are my first two imploded beads! I made a third one, but it didn't turn out well, and then it cracked. I like the blue and white one the best, it looks like a water lily in person!