Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Who uses a lighter to light their torches?

uniqueleigh
2007-02-09, 6:31am
Okay prolly seems like a strange question but read on.

I was wondering how many of you use a lighter to light your torches? I do because its about the only thing that stays handy for me. Well needles to say I usually use one that is low on fuel. Not sure why I made that choice at the time but it is a darn good thing I did.

I was torching a couple nights ago and after I light my torch I try to set my lighter off to the side so that it doesn't get too hot. Smart idea right? Well unfortunately smart ideas only last so long before you aren't thinking them through anymore. I torched for a good while and then I had one thing or another going on (phone kept ringing, kids fighting, putting kids to bed and so on) so I started getting alittle impatient because I really wanted to get a couple beads made from ideas running around in my head. Each time I had to relight the torch I was getting more and more impatient and slowly but, surely the lighter ended up closer and closer to my torch. Now I still kept it a good foot & 1/2 to 2 feet away. Needless to say the next rod I picked up was pretty shocky and kept shooting glass. Well the last time it did a piece of hot glass landed on my lighter. Within seconds before I had much time to acknowledge and react the lighter blew up. Scared the S*@t out of me. I didn't get hurt but, I could have especially if the lighter had been full.

Since then I started keeping my lighter in a drawer to the side. It was really a hassle. But, while being out yesterday I found this really neat little gadget that is perfect. Its one of the retractable clips that goes on your belt and the lighter hooks to it. Now off to side I have it clipped to something and it hangs there out of the way but, I can see it at all times and when I need to light the torch I just reach over grab the lighter and pull the cord comes out so that I can pull the lighter over and light the torch and then it retracts back up so the lighter is hanging back out of the way. It has made a difference and is very handy so I thought I would share.

Thanks for reading and take precautions to be safe. Leigh

Lynn Larson
2007-02-09, 6:36am
Glad you weren't hurt Leigh!! Hmmm...may be time to go back to the striker!

dpglassworks
2007-02-09, 6:37am
Wow!! I use a lighter, but you are right, it tends to get closer and closer to the torch area.... yikes, maybe I need to try the striker I have around here somewhere....

Lisi
2007-02-09, 6:39am
I use a Bic. Always have. 8-[

I hate the flint spark lighters because I always wear them out. Plus, supposedly they throw junk onto the face of your torch which will wind up on your glass later. This is preferred my Milon Townsend - a good ol' refillable metal body Zippo lighter. I need to get one, really.

Wonker
2007-02-09, 6:46am
http://zippocasemuseum.com/

strikers are better, but if you have to use a lighter, get one that won't explode

uniqueleigh
2007-02-09, 6:57am
Glad you weren't hurt Leigh!! Hmmm...may be time to go back to the striker!

Hey Lynn, you know what? I thought the same thing. So I went out and bought one and I can't get it to work with my hot head. So, I suppose I will stick with the lighter. I am even considering hanging it under the torch table.

Thanks bunches, And I am glad I didn't get hurt too. Of course I think I almost wet my pants when it happened. It happened so fast I couldn't fully translate everything in my brain. It was just a kind of action reaction thing. Oh, and it so does make pretty bright shiny lights. :fnwl:

DesertDreamer
2007-02-09, 7:02am
My Mom gave me a nifty Zippo BBQ (http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Multi-Purpose-Lighter-Silver-121363/dp/B0007M4FIE/ref=pd_sim_jw_5/002-9142547-5132044) lighter for Xmas last year. Nice solid case, easy to refill, and it has a reasonably small flame. I love it, and I DO keep it off to the side, out of harm's way when I'm working.

uniqueleigh
2007-02-09, 7:09am
I use a Bic. Always have. 8-[

I hate the flint spark lighters because I always wear them out. Plus, supposedly they throw junk onto the face of your torch which will wind up on your glass later. This is preferred my Milon Townsend - a good ol' refillable metal body Zippo lighter. I need to get one, really.

ooooooooohh and zippos are metal too. That might be a really good idea. I sure something could happen if hot glass got on it and it got tooo hot. But, at least with the metal it sure would give you more time to react. Good idea I just might get one myself. Of course who doesn't like zippos. LOL

Tink
2007-02-09, 7:21am
I use my trusty Zippos. I have a box of matches in my studio, but it's just so much simpler to use the lighter. I have a bit of a Zippo fetish, in fact. I have several, but of course 99% of them are either flintless or out of lighter fluid at any given moment. LOL!

krixbeeble
2007-02-09, 7:35am
well, my lighter has now found a new home! thanks for the heads up! i had kept mine right next to my hand. i'm glad you posted that.

Passing Glass
2007-02-09, 8:37am
Compressed butane lighters are a basic safety no-no. Several times a year people will post here having lost eyebrows or had explosions. And I'm sure many others do not post their mishaps because they are embarrased.

They don't call them table-grenades for nothing.

Do yourself a favor and use a striker! Or at least use a Zippo. A Zippo's fuel is not pressurized so there is no chance of explosion no matter how hot they get.

Also, they have sparkers which are like the push button start to your barbeque grill. You just put it near the gas and hit the button and a small spark lights your flame. No flint dust, and no compressed gas. Perfect.

mtnlaurel
2007-02-09, 8:39am
Darn- glad you didn't get hurt! I never thought about that and I usually have 2 or 3 sitting on the table at any given time. Thanks for the heads up on what can happen!

Dale M.
2007-02-09, 8:51am
Using lighters and matches, shame on you...

If you can't handle using a flint striker, then maybe you can just push a button...

http://www.gleasoncamping.com/browseproducts/Piezoelectric--Lighter.html

Its electric, contains no explosive fuel or flammable parts...

Dale

cgreagor
2007-02-09, 8:58am
I am new to lampworking (one year) and learned on a stricker. It is so easy! Not sure why most people don't use them. In the one year I have been lampworking, I have only had to change it 2x.

bclogan
2007-02-09, 9:02am
I have a bit of a Zippo fetish, in fact. I have several, but of course 99% of them are either flintless or out of lighter fluid at any given moment. LOL!

HEY HEY! I resemble that remark.....!

Tink
2007-02-09, 9:07am
I don't use a striker because I don't have the hand strength for the particular motion it requires. There's nothing wrong with using matches or a Zippo.

Hayley
2007-02-09, 9:26am
I am glad you didn't get hurt! I use a BBQ lighter and it always goes on the OTHER side of my ventilation hood enclosure. Having it separated by a piece of sheet metal from my torch gives me peace of mind!

artwhim
2007-02-09, 9:39am
Having baffles on the sides of the ventilation hood that go to the table help solve the problem of flying hot glass (unless it flies directly at me LOL). Not only do they increase the effeciency of the ventilation system, I think they make the entire work area more safe. Thanks Mike and Dale - listened to your advise! I never used a lighter until I had the baffles, now it immediately goes on the outside of the baffle, out of sight, but within easy reach. Also a great spot for my drink because I know glass hasn't popped into it.

Glad you are OK, sure that was scary.

swanseafarm
2007-02-09, 9:52am
I don't use a striker because I don't have the hand strength for the particular motion it requires. There's nothing wrong with using matches or a Zippo.

I use matches in a pinch and a zippo lighter.

I have also used a Bic but never put it on the torch table.

Emily
2007-02-09, 10:53am
My Mom gave me a nifty Zippo BBQ (http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Multi-Purpose-Lighter-Silver-121363/dp/B0007M4FIE/ref=pd_sim_jw_5/002-9142547-5132044) lighter for Xmas last year. Nice solid case, easy to refill, and it has a reasonably small flame. I love it, and I DO keep it off to the side, out of harm's way when I'm working.

It's made by Zippo, but is the case metal? If it's not metal, it's just a bigger bomb. (If it is, it's a bomb in a metal case, but a piece of hot glass isn't going to burn through a metal case. Keeping it out of the way is still a good idea -- but notice that Leigh was in the habit of keeping her lighter out of the way until she got distracted once and left it on the table. Boom!)

BiaggiaBeads
2007-02-09, 10:59am
I got a Zippo for xmas this year and I love it! Actually a "Firebird" brand (much thinner and no lid to flip) was just $19.99 and I can leave it laying anywhere now. I was a diehard bic user before.

bousky
2007-02-09, 4:40pm
I haven't had much time online for quite a while and I laughed when I say the title of this thread.....the reason, I got sentimental about a good safety issue argument! I expected to see as much on this topic. Hi Dale! It has been a while! I am very surprised so many people use lighters. I thought all types were a no-no!

Me, I use wood kitchen type matches. I am a bit reckless by nature and don't take chances that I don't have to!

lavendar420
2007-02-09, 4:46pm
i use wood matches, unless the flint is brand new i can't get the strikers to light quickly enough.

Steph'sBeadCorner
2007-02-09, 5:52pm
What a scare, I'm so glad you weren't hurt.

One of the students in my class told of a friend who kept the bic lighter "safely" tucked away in their pocket. The hot material burned through the fabric and still had time to ignite and explode the lighter, almost taking his leg off.

Just be very careful, maybe you don't really want to wear it on your body.

chrisdd
2007-02-09, 6:14pm
I was wandering around looking at stuff at Home Depot last weekend and saw a bunch of strikers. Right next to them was a box of replacement flints. Talk about a Baroo? moment! Am I the only moron who didn't realize that you had to change out the flint on strikers? :rolleyes:

glassdog
2007-02-09, 7:08pm
I use an old lighter with a long neck on it. Like one ones for camp fires and stoves. bbq grills and stuff. But I have let all the gas run out and just use the pizzo electric spark. It works great and there is no need to worry about the gas blowing up on you. I got mine at walmart.

Leanne
2007-02-10, 3:50am
I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU ALL USE LIGHTERS!!!! I should put you all over my knee and spank you!
Thanks is so so sooooo naughty!!
i have never EVER used anything other than a striker with my dual fuel torch! If you hate strikers go to the welding store and get a TRIPLE FLINT one. I have tried the single flint ones and I agree they are a piece of crap. The one I have has a little triangle thing that has 3 flints on it - one on each point of the triange. When one flint wears down you undo the screw and rotate the triangle to the next flint. i find mine is really really to use though I do get that crappy dust everywhere. Makes quite a few sparks when I light the midrange because all the dust falls on it from when I light the minor directly above it and builds up.

DONT USE GODDAM LIGHTERS!!! If you have to with a hothead use matches. There is a bit of an art to it. You have to light the match and put it to the side of the hothead so it doesn't blow out. Light it and rest the lit part of the match of the rim of the hothead holding your hand below. It works like a charm!