Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : my digital camera got wet, is it worth fixing

Tutti-frutti
2007-03-06, 4:22pm
I took my camera Nikon 5400 in the rain on a raft trip watching eagles, the pictures came out ok but I guess it got wet inside the plastic bag, today i wanted to take pics of my beads and all I got in the (window) was stripes. I never was too fond of the camera Macro sucks, but since money does not grow on trees I thought about having it fixed somewhere. my ? is is it worth to do so. I think I paid about 380.00 at Costco for it.
Any ideas, or how to dry it out without blowing it up.
thanlks Katja

Passing Glass
2007-03-07, 11:38am
Whooops! That does suck, indeed. There is a chance that you can fix it. If your camera gets wet the first thing you should do is immediately turn it off and remove the battery and the memory card. Set everything aside for at least 3 days to completely dry out. Then you can try it. If you are lucky, it will be no worse for the wear. Unfortunately, more times than not, any digitial camera that gets pretty wet is hosed.

If you get it in salt water you have an even less chance of it working. But you can try to give it a dunk in fresh water to get the salt out while it is still wet from the salt water and then let it dry out, otherwise it has almost no hope.

I would NOT recommend fixing it unless it is a very expensive camera. I would probably just write yours off and get another one. And be more careful!

Karen Hardy
2007-03-07, 11:59am
Probably not worth it.
My camera was great - till hubby took it
out of the protective case, put it in a fanny pack with a
bunch of crap and took a 6 mile hike with it.
The camera is about 2 years old. Cost of new
camera (same one) $199.00 Cost to fix old
camera $170 plus shipping. Doesn't add up.

Tutti-frutti
2007-03-07, 8:16pm
Yes , I figured as much.
Just needed to hear this. It cost's moore to fix it than to buy typical.
Thanks Katja

will try to see if I can still take ot the batteries and card see what happens.

topher wren
2008-01-15, 2:56am
trash it. not worth it.
worked in industry for years, if wet just toss it. you could try some isopropal alcohol, it evaporates. it might wash the water out and then dry up. will probably grow mold inside the lens, as usually do. salt water is the same way and so is sand.