Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Question about working with thicker glass rods

playswithfire104
2007-05-13, 8:29am
I have beed working with 12 - 13 mm rods making something I have orders for. I am finding that the rods tend to crack and break about an inch or so away from where I'm working. Is there a trick or something to working with this size rod and not having it crack and break? I'm working off mandrel if that matters.

Heidi von Frozenfyre
2007-05-13, 8:36am
Sure - just keep them pre-heated in your kiln :)

playswithfire104
2007-05-13, 8:56am
I can't do that. I have a small kiln with no bead door. The whole rod would have to go in the kiln and then it would be too hot to hold.

kittyluv4ever
2007-05-13, 9:42am
First off I am no expert when it comes to large rods, but I saw in a video once this small curling iron oven used to keep pieces warm while working I think they run some where around 50.00. You can get them at Sally Beauty Supply or on e-bay as well.

playswithfire104
2007-05-13, 10:12am
I use a George Foreman grill - a small one as a rod warmer. It works pretty well and only cost 5 bucks at a yard sale. I think the problem is with the large rods.

Toni Lutman
2007-05-13, 11:33am
The George Foreman grill probably just doesn't get hot enough to preheat the larger rods adequately.

AnnDK
2007-05-13, 11:44am
I use an old-fashion toaster (the new plastic-coated ones melt and the have a not very handy timer)...... put your rods on it before you start, then the rods won't break and they'll still be cold in the other end.

emtjab
2007-05-13, 11:45am
I have a grill that I got from walmart for $20. I have all my rods on it pre-heating (I hate cracking!).....whatever the size. I never have it above the 1 setting and it goes to 8.....so it seems to get plenty hot.

Julie

Miss Kate
2007-05-13, 5:32pm
First off I am no expert when it comes to large rods, but I saw in a video once this small curling iron oven used to keep pieces warm while working I think they run some where around 50.00. You can get them at Sally Beauty Supply or on e-bay as well.

This is a great rod warmer.

It gets to about 900 degrees.
You need to cut some of your fiber blanket to fill the large hole in the back side.
Also - works better if you plug it in to a rheostat (like what you plug your soldering iron into) to better control the temp. When I first used it, I just placed a rod into it when cold, then turned it on. Got so hot, so fast - made the rod jump out of the warmer.

Hope this helps!

Miss Kate

RSimmons
2007-05-14, 6:08am
I work with thick clear rods a lot and have been using the curling iron/rod heater from the beauty supply store for several years. It does the job and minimizes thermal shock cracking. You can make a small rack that sits in front of the opening to support both long and short rods. Put a bit of steel screen on the bottom to keep th glass from sticking to the ceramic coating.

Robert

loco
2007-05-14, 8:15am
I heat the fatties and the shockys on top of my kiln. Works like a charm!

playswithfire104
2007-05-14, 9:49am
This is a great rod warmer.

It gets to about 900 degrees.
You need to cut some of your fiber blanket to fill the large hole in the back side.
Also - works better if you plug it in to a rheostat (like what you plug your soldering iron into) to better control the temp. When I first used it, I just placed a rod into it when cold, then turned it on. Got so hot, so fast - made the rod jump out of the warmer.

Hope this helps!

Miss Kate

I don't know exactly what a rheostat is or where to get one. I've never used a soldering iron I use a torch to solder.

I've read where people preheat their rods on top of their kiln. I don't think mine gets hot enough for that. I mean I can touch it without burning myself. I'm sure my Geo Forman grill gets much hotter than the top of my kiln.

designsbykurato
2007-05-14, 1:48pm
I heat the fatties and the shockys on top of my kiln. Works like a charm!

Ditto to what loco said!!