Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How Does AIM stay in business?

cherylsart
2007-07-06, 11:24pm
I bought a kiln 3 months ago and still haven't gotten it yet. I bought it thru Dennis Brady of Victorian Art Glass.

I can understand a delay because they couldn't get parts, which is the explanation they gave me, but would it have killed them to let their customers know what's going on? I've talked to them twice. I tried to call them today to get a ship date for the kiln and got their voice mail. I left a message. Of course no one called me back. I emailed them too. Interesting that they've managed to sidestep me till Monday.

I was ready to tell Dennis I wanted a refund but everyone is telling me that the 84BD is a better kiln than the Chili Pepper I wanted originally. I guess that's because the AIM will do more than just anneal.

I don't even want to start on what I've been told about Dennis. I still don't have my kiln and Dennis still has my money so I'd prefer not to rock that boat since I have no evidence that I need to worry about his integrity. But AIM is obviously snubbing their noses at people who've bought their kilns. Like, what are we gonna do? If we want an AIM kiln we just have to wait till they get around to building it. It's a bad way to do business. If I'd have taken this long to get an auction win to someone I'd be in serious trouble.

Cheryl

ChaseDesigns
2007-07-07, 6:46am
humm, I have dealt with aim directly a few times and they have been nothing but helpful. I love our AIM kiln. It is possible they took a long weekend for the 4th of July holiday.

Moth
2007-07-07, 8:31am
I have the AIM84BD and I adore it. I can't imagine needing more than what it can do. I can imagine needing a crucible kiln along WITH my AIM84BD...but I wouldn't replace it, love it love it love it.

Can't speak to Dennis' business ethic or AIM's for that matter. But I can let you know that as frustrating as it is, your kiln will be worth the wait. Maybe that will be some small comfort.

Good luck to you.

(I didn't deal with AIM, bought my kiln used so that's why I don't have input on their business practices.)

~~Mary

swanseafarm
2007-07-07, 9:00am
I have an AIM kiln and love it.
But I had to wait also. Not as long as you. I bought mine from a vendor but in FL. The delay isn't the vendors fault since the kilns are directly shipped from the AIM factory usually. (unless you buy used)
The vendor I bought from was not happy about the delay and stayed on the company to get answers. But, as stated before, it was worth the wait.

Hope you get your kiln soon!

Torcha
2007-07-07, 9:01am
I too bought my AIM kiln from Dennis. I had no problems with my purchase - in fact got an awesome deal. Aim does make great kilns. What I have found out about a few of the manufacturers for kilns or oxycons is that they are very small businesses with just a few employees. Sometimes it does take a bit longer to get the product, but I have found it to be worth it.

As to why they have not returned your calls/emails, I hope they get back to you quickly. Good luck.
Alana

Dennis Brady
2007-07-07, 9:43am
I too bought my AIM kiln from Dennis. I had no problems with my purchase - in fact got an awesome deal. Aim does make great kilns. What I have found out about a few of the manufacturers for kilns or oxycons is that they are very small businesses with just a few employees. Sometimes it does take a bit longer to get the product, but I have found it to be worth it.

As to why they have not returned your calls/emails, I hope they get back to you quickly. Good luck.
Alana

FWIW, nobody is more unhappy about the delays in getting kilns built and shipped then me. We would all be a lot happier if the kilns could be built and shipped quickly - but they can't. Nobody is getting preferential or detrimental treatment. Everybody has to wait. It's understandable that anybody waiting for a kiln would like to know exactly when to expect it, but if the builder can't guarantee specifically when, they won't make a promise other then as quickly as they can. As the sales agent, all I can do is pass on the same promise.

We extended to Cheryl our standard full refund cancellation offer we make to anyone that has lost patience and is no longer willing to wait. It's my understanding the Cheryl instead opted to upgrade from a kiln with pyrometer to one with Bartlett controller. AIM has assured me this upgrade will not further delay shipment.

cherylsart
2007-07-07, 12:42pm
"We extended to Cheryl our standard full refund cancellation offer we make to anyone that has lost patience and is no longer willing to wait. It's my understanding the Cheryl instead opted to upgrade from a kiln with pyrometer to one with Bartlett controller. AIM has assured me this upgrade will not further delay shipment."

That's true Dennis. I really don't want to have to get a refund and start over. And as I said, I have no evidence that you are not being up front with me. I'm just hoping that I don't have to wait too much longer, as I have hundreds of beads that need to be annealed so they can be sold (which means I'm losing money) and some of which are already sold and the buyers are (so far) waiting patiently for them to be annealed.

I know I'm not the only one who has had to wait for a kiln, I know that as a vendor there is only so much that you can do. I just think it would help if AIM was a little more forthcoming with information and letting their customers know about potential delays. We know they make good kilns. I'm told that my 84BD will be worth the wait. And I found out today that my Dad has 20 amp circuits in his garage which will be great when I go to batch this hoarde of beads!

Cheryl

Norskiglass
2007-07-07, 2:15pm
A little bird told me that the controllers (fuji) are holding em back....so it may be worth it to order it without one or a bartlet controller.http://seattlepotterysupply.com
will build you anything if its not in stock and are on the ball!:razz:

Dennis Brady
2007-07-07, 3:03pm
A little bird told me that the controllers (fuji) are holding em back....so it may be worth it to order it without one or a bartlet controller.http://seattlepotterysupply.com
will build you anything if its not in stock and are on the ball!:razz:

The delays at AIM have much more to do with difficulty getting supplies then with their own production capacity.

Carols Glass
2007-07-08, 12:25am
I think it would be a great idea if a place like that would at least let you use a "loaner" kiln.
I couldn't have taken waiting 3 months for a kiln! I will never order an AIM knowing it may take forever to get one!
My kiln does more than anneal, it's an all purpose firebrick kiln with bead door, etc. It's a Paragon Caldera and even during Christmas and New Year they had it shipped within a week clear across the US.
What good is a better kiln when you have no kiln at all?
This would drive me nuts! I'm going nuts just waiting for something I won on Mother's Day (almost 2 months ago). I can't imagine forking out the money and having to wait 3 months.
The thing for me is that I was going to order what I won, but since I won it, I didn't order it, and well......I don't want to hijack your thread anymore than I have.
Just want to say, I know it must be very hard for you and I hope everything turns out great for you soon.

BeadMaven
2007-07-08, 5:32am
That seems like a long time to wait.

I too have a Paragon Caldera (like Carol's above) and had it here within 2 weeks time ready to go.

Unless you just Have to have the AIM, I'd get a refund and call Paragon but whatever you do, I wish you luck!

Beckah
2007-07-08, 5:55am
My Paragon Caldera also shipped quickly and 5 years later, I still think it's a great choice for a first kiln. I've fused, slumped, annealled and done PMC -- anything that's caught my attention, I've been able to do.

BeadMaven
2007-07-08, 6:52am
My Paragon Caldera also shipped quickly and 5 years later, I still think it's a great choice for a first kiln. I've fused, slumped, annealled and done PMC -- anything that's caught my attention, I've been able to do.

I :love: my Caldera! I haven't used it for anything else yet but I hope to.
I want to slump some beads that cracked in half but still haven't found a schedule.
No to hi-jack but do you have a schedule for that for 104 COE glass?

Moth
2007-07-08, 7:22am
Cheryl, I'd be willing to anneal your beads for you. I've successfully done this for several people. It might help to take some of the pressure off you.

Please be willing to insure your package back and forth and accept a small percentage of potential breakage during annealing. The last time I annealed a whole kiln full of beads, there were 2 cracked if that helps you imagine the success rate. It depends on their shapes and sizes and your normal success rate.

I'd be happy to do it.
~~Mary

cherylsart
2007-07-08, 9:32am
Thanks Mary. I may take you up on that! I've had Jo of Dogmaw Glass anneal many of my beads as well. I don't get upset if a few come back broken. I figure that's inevitable. I'm just glad someone is willing to do it for me! I've been shipping them to Jo priority mail so that they are in a box. I don't mind spending the extra money for that. If it looks like this delay is going to continue much longer I will get back to you and Jo. Split the group between you. Thanks again!

Cheryl

cherylsart
2007-07-08, 9:38am
Thanks to all for your support and feedback. I think I just got caught in bad timing for this kiln. I really don't want to get a refund and start over. I wouldn't be able to order anything else until I got the money back and who knows how long that would take? (Nothing personal Dennis, but sometimes refunds take time). I'd rather just see this through and get the AIM. I have several people who have been nice enough to offer to batch my beads for me and I've been doing that already, before I ordered the kiln.

I hope that AIM will see some of this an re-evaluate their business practices. They may make good kilns but they aren't the only game in town!

Cheryl

dogmaw
2007-07-08, 9:43am
Cheryl, no problem! Just send another box my way. :)

cherylsart
2007-07-08, 9:54am
You're all such nice people. Thanks again!

Julz
2007-07-08, 10:42am
Kind of strange that you were charged for the kiln before it was ready to ship. I have one on order, a CR420D, and my card will not be charged by AIM until the unit is ready to go. That should just be standard operating procedure for any business. As a matter of fact, I thought it was illegal to do something like that- unless what you have paid is only a deposit.

Sure hope that your kiln comes along very soon, and that it is perfect for you.

Elegance_1
2007-07-08, 11:59am
Trust me. It's not Dennis. I bought mine from Kilnwest, an Ebay vendor and the wait was close to 3 months or more. It's AIM. The kilns are made as they are ordered. If they don't have all the necessary parts then they need to be ordered and that may be the hold up as well. They do not ship out one kiln at a time. They get a few ready and then schedule them to ship out at one time. Mine was scheduled out with one other. Once it was shipped I had it quickly.

Call the company or email them. They can tell you when your kiln is scheduled to be shipped. They were very friendly. :wink:

I must say though that I won't buy another AIM only because of the time I had to wait for it to arrive. It would be nice if they offered some type of email update for their customers instead of stark silence.

mikefrantz
2007-07-08, 3:13pm
Perhaps one day when I write my book :Memoirs of a Glass Merchant, the truth about how the Mafia controls who gets kilns and who does not get kilns will be made public.

Mike Frantz

cherylsart
2007-07-08, 3:21pm
That's funny Mike. As for being charged or not, I paid Dennis with a money order, and I don't know if he's cashed it or not. He did offer me a refund but I'm going to see this through (I hope). Now that I know it's not just me I feel a little better about it, but I'll be better still (and so will my Dad, who lent me the money to buy it) once it's arrived.

Cheryl

Beckah
2007-07-09, 6:29am
I :love: my Caldera! I haven't used it for anything else yet but I hope to.
I want to slump some beads that cracked in half but still haven't found a schedule.
No to hi-jack but do you have a schedule for that for 104 COE glass?

I usually just add cracked beads to fill out a full fuse tray and use my usual full fuse schedule for tiny pieces which is:

ramp 1000 to 1225 and hold for 15 min (this is for a bubble squeeze)
ramp FULL to 1475 and hold for 10 min
ramp FULL to 960 and hold for 20 min
If it's a really cold night in the winter in Florida, I sometimes change the 3rd step to a sliding anneal. But living in Florida, I find that the Caldera takes plenty of time to cool down once it shuts off, so I'm not worried about it cooling too quickly.

Hints: get all the bead release out! Somehow even the smallest speck will seem to find its way to the surface. I also put a piece of unbent Hi-Temp wire (I got mine at Two Lasses with Glass Classes) into the beadhole before firing. After firing, I clean it up and bend it into a small loop. Bending beforehand just didn't seem to work.

cherylsart
2007-07-09, 7:28am
I've slumped several of my cracked beads, but my little kiln has no way to control the temp so I just let it heat up to about 1650 and then turn it off. I've never had a problem. It takes about 17 minutes to get it to that temp.

Cheryl

BeadMaven
2007-07-09, 8:19am
I usually just add cracked beads to fill out a full fuse tray and use my usual full fuse schedule for tiny pieces which is:

ramp 1000 to 1225 and hold for 15 min (this is for a bubble squeeze)
ramp FULL to 1475 and hold for 10 min
ramp FULL to 960 and hold for 20 min
If it's a really cold night in the winter in Florida, I sometimes change the 3rd step to a sliding anneal. But living in Florida, I find that the Caldera takes plenty of time to cool down once it shuts off, so I'm not worried about it cooling too quickly.

Hints: get all the bead release out! Somehow even the smallest speck will seem to find its way to the surface. I also put a piece of unbent Hi-Temp wire (I got mine at Two Lasses with Glass Classes) into the beadhole before firing. After firing, I clean it up and bend it into a small loop. Bending beforehand just didn't seem to work.

Thanks for the schedule Bekah :)
I don't have a fuse tray but I had planned all along to use shelf paper and I think that will be all right. I am realy excited now, I have everyting I need with the number to go along with it!
As soon as I get some done, I'll post the pics :)
Thanks bunches :D

I've slumped several of my cracked beads, but my little kiln has no way to control the temp so I just let it heat up to about 1650 and then turn it off. I've never had a problem. It takes about 17 minutes to get it to that temp.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, I'm gonna test your quick slump out too. I like quick!

Hopeing you get your kiln soon....and you could send some beads to me too if you have a bazillion to anneal! :lol:

Add to me your annealer list, I wouldn't mind at all - just PM me :D

jjglass
2007-07-16, 5:30pm
I ordered an AIM kiln through Dennis. I waited a little over a month, but received it without any issues and had no problems with Dennis or his company. Two sides to every merchant vs. customer story, so don't always believe what you're told.

Dennis Brady
2007-07-16, 6:04pm
I ordered an AIM kiln through Dennis. I waited a little over a month, but received it without any issues and had no problems with Dennis or his company. Two sides to every merchant vs. customer story, so don't always believe what you're told.

Thanks for the supportive comment.

In fairness to Cheryl, she did get caught at a time when AIM was outstandingly behind for numerous reasons. Cheryl was unhappy about the delay, I was unhappy that she was unhappy, and AIM couldn't provide a guaranteed delivery day - so we resolved it by me cancelling the order and refunding her money.

AIM is still a little behind but steadily catching up on orders. As I've posted on our website. You can have good, you can have cheap, or you can have quick. Pick two. We opted to supply good kilns at cheap prices. We don't do quick.

To answer the initial question, "How does AIM stay in business"?
By building some of the best kilns in the USA and providing them at exceptional prices. They've been building high quality kilns since 1966 and I expect they'll still be building high quality kilns in 2066.

cherylsart
2007-07-16, 6:08pm
I've sinced asked Dennis for a refund. I hated to do it because I really don't think it's his fault, but I need a kiln and I can't wait forever for it. I think someone needs to let AIM know that their long delays are not acceptable. The only way to do that is to take our business elsewhere. I really wanted a ChiliPepper anyway. So once I get my money back I will look for one of those.

ETA- Dennis, you posted just when I did.

I'd like to add that Dennis has been nothing but helpful and supportive and I do not blame him for this in any way. I also realize that AIM builds excellent kilns for great prices. There is more to my reason for canceling my order. I wanted a bead annealer, one that pulls less amps than the 84BD, and I already have a kiln for fusing. I went for this one originally because of the low price, but the sales I've lost waiting for it to be built have overshadowed the money I would have saved on it. Which, again, is in no way Dennis' fault.

Cheryl

NightCat
2007-07-23, 2:00pm
I live in the same town as AIM and have delt with them on a one-to-one basis. They are a very nice small family business. AIM isn't some giant automated factory. I didn't ask or count but it looked like there were only 8 to 10 folks working there and they were building the kilns one at a time by hand.

I haven't been out there in months so I don't know anything about delays. I just wanted to stick-up for a home town company.

~Ross

cherylsart
2007-07-23, 5:15pm
I realize also that they have had problems with getting the parts they need to build the kilns. I chalk it up to bad timing. I'm going to get Jen Ken Chili Pepper, which was what I wanted originally. Dennis says that AIM is beginning to catch up so hopefully the next person who orders a kiln from them won't have to wait so long. I just took it as a sign that I should go ahead and get the kiln that I wanted in the first place.

Cheryl

C-Ann
2007-07-28, 10:53pm
I never considered an AIM kiln but my Arrow Springs built kiln just rocks.....and I had it within 2 weeks with a controller.......

Kalera
2007-07-29, 11:40am
I just read on the GLGD that Dennis has some AIM kilns in stock and ready to ship... just thought there might be some folks here still looking for a kiln and it sounds like a chance to get one right now, no wait:

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216997#post216997

Dennis Brady
2007-08-06, 5:07pm
I just read on the GLGD that Dennis has some AIM kilns in stock and ready to ship... just thought there might be some folks here still looking for a kiln and it sounds like a chance to get one right now, no wait:

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216997#post216997

Yup. Contrary to your steady assertions that these kilns are imaginary and your ongoing efforts to convince people they don't exist, these kilns are indeed in our shop - crated and ready to ship. Some of our kiln inventory is sold, but the following are still available for immediate shipment.

AIM 99LSD with Bartlett 3 key controller
AIM 9169GSD 120 volt with Bartlett 3 key controller

These kilns are availble for pickup at our shop or for shipment to anywhere in Canada. I regret these are the only kilns available. If you want any other model, it'll take 3 to 4 weeks to be built.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/products%20Kiln.html

Kalera
2007-08-06, 5:18pm
Yup. Contrary to your steady assertions that these kilns are imaginary and your ongoing efforts to convince people they don't exist, these kilns are indeed in our shop - crated and ready to ship. Some of our kiln inventory is sold, but the following are still available for immediate shipment.

AIM 99LSD with Bartlett 3 key controller
AIM 9169GSD 120 volt with Bartlett 3 key controller

These kilns are availble for pickup at our shop or for shipment to anywhere in Canada. I regret these are the only kilns available. If you want any other model, it'll take 3 to 4 weeks to be built.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/products%20Kiln.html

I think you are confusing me with Dwaine. I have asked some very simple questions on the GLDG which you have declined to answer, though.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-06, 5:30pm
I think you are confusing me with Dwaine. I have asked some very simple questions on the GLDG which you have declined to answer, though.

You repeated Dwaine's childish and unreasonable request that I unpack a kiln that was fully crated with foam pack and palletized for shipment - so I would take a picture of it to prove to you that I actually had a kiln available.

Ain't no confusion here. You made a stupid and silly request. Your exclusive purpose was to join Dwaine's ludicrous efforts to claim I was lying about having a kiln available for sale. You're damned right I declined to answer. No confusion on my part.

The kiln is here. You can believe that or not but I will NOT uncrate it to take a picture for your amusement. If there's any confusion, it ain't comin' from me.

Kalera
2007-08-06, 6:09pm
No, I didn't repeat that request. I'm not interested in having this conversation. I asked you a few very straightforward, direct questions on the GLDG, answer them there. This is not the appropriate place.

You have no business whatsoever claiming to know my "purpose" or motivation. That is out of line, Dennis.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-06, 6:22pm
No, I didn't repeat that request. I'm not interested in having this conversation. I asked you a few very straightforward, direct questions on the GLDG, answer them there. This is not the appropriate place.

You have no business whatsoever claiming to know my "purpose" or motivation. That is out of line, Dennis.

It bloody well IS my business. It's my business you took multiple effort to attack.

Out of line was proposing that I uncrate a kiln and post a photo to "prove" I have it. Equally out of line was bringing that silly childish game over to this board. When you did that, this became the appropriate place.

Just Nancy
2007-08-06, 6:29pm
I ordered an AIM years ago and it shipped promptly. I'm guessing it was a glitch that all businesses run into at one time or another. Unless this is a beef about one vendor then I don't see why anyone would drag AIM into it.

And no way would I want to unpack and repack it. I couldn't believe how well packed it was.

KDK
2007-08-06, 8:34pm
The first kiln I ordered was a Paragon (for PMC) a few years back and it took forever (ok several months) to get. Since I was new to the world of kilns I thought they all took that long.

gubnavnania
2007-08-06, 10:52pm
Hmmm:-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

glassartist
2007-08-07, 6:45am
I ordered the 84BD from AIM last winter through Mountain Arts in Asheville. Cool Company! It took a WHILE to get it from AIM-at least 2 months, maybe 3, and that felt hellishly long. When I got it, it was packed Great, but the bead door did not fit nicely-it was slanted at one side of the top edge about 1/8-1/4", plus the usual small nicks and dings in the firebrick. I didn't think for 600 some dollars that door thing was right, so contacted and sent pics to MA who forwarded me to AIM. Spoke to a nice woman there who told me-a) nicks and dings are going to happen-I realize that after living with firebrick and b) that if I wanted the door layer they could send it to me-which they did in a week or two. It was worse! So I just sent it back. She told me if I felt it was a problem for me that she could "watch for a better one" and send it if I called her. (?)
And I got a Bartlett controller with instructions-In Japanese/English which were hard to understand, so had to take the time to to locate instructions (on WC), with eventually having to look up Bartlett and call Them- because I found it complicated to schedule-and it is a little weird and I LIKE computers! But to the good news, man, what a great kiln! I love it. I love it.
So I think they are a small company and maybe could do a little more towards customer service, but I found them to be nice people that make a great product. Like my husband says "what're you gonna do?"
On to my next life problem with the dentist and new bridge...%*#@$@&*&@

Dennis Brady
2007-08-07, 7:59am
I ordered the 84BD from AIM last winter through Mountain Arts in Asheville. Cool Company! It took a WHILE to get it from AIM-at least 2 months, maybe 3, and that felt hellishly long. When I got it, it was packed Great, but the bead door did not fit nicely-it was slanted at one side of the top edge about 1/8-1/4", plus the usual small nicks and dings in the firebrick. I didn't think for 600 some dollars that door thing was right, so contacted and sent pics to MA who forwarded me to AIM. Spoke to a nice woman there who told me-a) nicks and dings are going to happen-I realize that after living with firebrick and b) that if I wanted the door layer they could send it to me-which they did in a week or two. It was worse! So I just sent it back. She told me if I felt it was a problem for me that she could "watch for a better one" and send it if I called her. (?)
And I got a Bartlett controller with instructions-In Japanese/English which were hard to understand, so had to take the time to to locate instructions (on WC), with eventually having to look up Bartlett and call Them- because I found it complicated to schedule-and it is a little weird and I LIKE computers! But to the good news, man, what a great kiln! I love it. I love it.
So I think they are a small company and maybe could do a little more towards customer service, but I found them to be nice people that make a great product. Like my husband says "what're you gonna do?"
On to my next life problem with the dentist and new bridge...%*#@$@&*&@

Great people at AIM and they built a great kiln. Unfortunately there are so many people that like those great AIM kilns, those great people have trouble building those great kilns as fast as people buy them. To be sure everybody that orders an AIM kiln understands that, we have posted this on our website catalogue:

Kilns are specially built when ordered.

We can do it good, we can do it cheap, or we can do it quick.

As have most businesses, we’ve learned that you can do two of those but if you try for all three, you usually fail at all three. The two we picked was to provide exceptionally good kilns at exceptionally good prices. Unfortunately, that means we can’t supply them quick. We offer more than 50 different models of kilns. To carry even half that variety in stock would dramatically increase costs – so neither we nor the manufacturer carry an inventory of kilns. Instead, kilns are built when they’re ordered. Depending on where the order fits into the manufacturer’s production run, it’s now taking 3 to 4 weeks to get one made.

We’re sorry we can’t ship a kiln off to you as soon as you order it, but we can get you a great kiln at a great price – if you’re willing to wait to have it built for you.

Because a few individuals (like Dwaine and Kalera) have publicly complained the delays are my fault and accused me of lying when I say I have kilns for sale, I've also prepared this explantion of the warranties to be shortly included on our website:

KILN WARRANTY

AIM has been building fine kilns since 1966 and handcrafts each kiln with pride in the finest quality workmanship. AIM provides a 2 year parts and labor warranty on all their kilns.

Bartlett builds digital controllers specifically designed for glass kilns and is considered by many artisans to be the industry standard for kiln controllers. Bartlett provides a 1 year parts and labor warranty on their controllers.

We at Victorian Art Glass promise to provide all the support and assistance we can. If you buy a kiln from us, as long as you own that kiln we will be available to you for assistance and advice with maintenance, with repairs, and even with how to operate your kiln. There are several articles on maintenance, repair, and operation in the Tutorial section of the Glass Campus website (www. glasscampus.com). You can also visit the Bulletin Board on Glass Campus and ask questions.

The crew at Victorian Art Glass and DeBrady Glassworks are professional glass artisans with extensive experience in the glass industry through several thousand kiln firings. Whether your need is annealing beads, kilnforming, or large glass castings – they can help you select a kiln that best meets your needs, or show you how to get the best use out of any kiln you already have.

AIM is building kilns as fast as they can. There's nothing we can do to speed that up. Nor can anybody else. But we do do everything we can to help. In response to complaints about difficulty understanding the Bartlett controller, we prepared a video clip:

http://www.glasscampus.com/videos.htm

I suggest that if anyone has any misgivings about doing business with Victorian Art Glass they'd be smarter to contact AIM (who routinely refers customers to us) then take the advice of an obscenity obscessed misfit teenager and his camp follower.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 10:00am
It bloody well IS my business. It's my business you took multiple effort to attack.

Out of line was proposing that I uncrate a kiln and post a photo to "prove" I have it. Equally out of line was bringing that silly childish game over to this board. When you did that, this became the appropriate place.

The thread on the GLDG is there for anyone to read. It is very plain that I DID NOT ask you to uncrate a kiln and take a picture of it, although several other people did ask you.

I thought people WHO HAVE POSTED IN THIS THREAD LOOKING FOR KILNS TO BUY NOW might be interested. I posted a link to your thread. I posted that link BEFORE I asked you *any* questions in that thread.

As I said before, you have no right and no business TELLING me what my purpose or motivations are. You may challenge my words, but you are not a mindreader and it offends me that you purport to know my purpose, especially when my purpose is there in black and white for all to read. I SAY WHAT I THINK. Please do not confuse my words with those of other people.

As I said, if you want to reply to my questions, please do so where I asked them. It is not fair or right to either forum to do otherwise.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 10:04am
then take the advice of an obscenity obscessed misfit teenager and his camp follower.

This is completely inappropriate. Completely.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-07, 10:23am
As I said, if you want to reply to my questions, please do so where I asked them. It is not fair or right to either forum to do otherwise.

If you wanted that issue kept on the other board, why did you bring it here? Perhaps because that other board shut down you and potty mouth? It wasn't enough that you question my integrity and honesty on one board but you think it's appropriate to take your innuendo to others?

I'll repeat my suggestion. If anyone is wondering whether or not I'm being truthful about how long it takes to get kilns from AIM, they should ask AIM and not listen to malicious comments from Kalera and Dwaine.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-07, 10:25am
This is completely inappropriate. Completely.

What was inappropriate was proposing I decrate a kiln to prove I had it and after having your petty commentary shut down on one board, bringing if over here to try starting again.

Completely inappropriate.
Completely.

What IS appropriate is I exert my right to defend myself, my family, and my business, against malicious lies by individuals with a publicly announced intent to do any, and as much, harm as they possibly can.

Completely appropriate.
Completely.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 10:39am
My questions were not shut down. The thread was closed, but it had nothing to do with my simple, straightforward questions. It was not malicious commentary. It was a few direct questions.

As I've said several times now, I did not ask you to decrate a kiln to take pictures of it, although SEVERAL other well-respected members of that forum did, including a moderator.

What I did here was post a link to your AD.

Equating me with Dwaine is just ludicrous. We are two different people.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 10:47am
Dennis, holding me responsible for what other people posted in your ad thread AFTER I posted the link to it here is ridiculous.

Julz
2007-08-07, 11:34am
What was inappropriate was proposing I decrate a kiln to prove I had it and after having your petty commentary shut down on one board, bringing if over here to try starting again.

Completely inappropriate.
Completely.

What IS appropriate is I exert my right to defend myself, my family, and my business, against malicious lies by individuals with a publicly announced intent to do any, and as much, harm as they possibly can.

Completely appropriate.
Completely.

Funny, are you defending yourself against said attackers here, right now? Where exactly did they "publicly announce" this intent? Here? right here?
If it was not here, on LE, then maybe you need to take this argument back to the place where it happened, where others who were involved could also defend themselves and their intent, especially since you imply that their intent was malicious.

Kalera only posted a link to your ad, you took it to this extreme.

It really does show what a great business man that you are, and how well you handle questions from the public.

Would I do business with you, after reading this diatribe? Not in a second. Way to go Dennis.

PyroChixRock
2007-08-07, 12:56pm
Out of respect for this forum, and our members being called out here, the thread at the GLDG has been reopened.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 1:01pm
There we go. Dennis, if you want to address my words on the appropriate forum, it's available for you to do so.

NightCat
2007-08-07, 1:43pm
Love your new sig. Kalera :lol: :lol:

Kalera
2007-08-07, 1:50pm
Hehehe thanks! I couldn't resist...

miahawk
2007-08-07, 2:32pm
hm. I'll be in the market for a kiln, but I think I won't buy one from you, Dennis. your attack of Kalera was pretty mean and offensive.

Norskiglass
2007-08-07, 2:50pm
You repeated Dwaine's childish and unreasonable request that I unpack a kiln that was fully crated with foam pack and palletized for shipment - so I would take a picture of it to prove to you that I actually had a kiln available.

Ain't no confusion here. You made a stupid and silly request. Your exclusive purpose was to join Dwaine's ludicrous efforts to claim I was lying about having a kiln available for sale. You're damned right I declined to answer. No confusion on my part.

The kiln is here. You can believe that or not but I will NOT uncrate it to take a picture for your amusement. If there's any confusion, it ain't comin' from me.

=; Need I remind you Dennis that you are in fact directing harsh words towards a woman.

Aside from causing speculation and negativity about AIM's kiln manufacturing and business practices I suggest you look into another "line" of product to promote.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 2:53pm
Oh Norski, if I didn't already love you, I would now!

Julz
2007-08-07, 4:30pm
I know that Shady Brady practices haven't deterred me from ordering an AIM kiln, I just made sure that it was not from him.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 4:35pm
AIM makes an excellent kiln, and there are a lot of very reputable dealers to order from.

Norskiglass
2007-08-07, 4:48pm
I know that Shady Brady practices haven't deterred me from ordering an AIM kiln, I just made sure that it was not from him.

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and been loading and unloading and loading for over a week or so now. I read about the "controller shortage" and how "back logged" Aim is with getting the kilns out........thought how is it that I can get one from a guy on LE but not AIM..........well mine was purchased from AIM and it has the Fuji controller....not to mention it was here in no time!:koolaid:

Julz
2007-08-07, 5:34pm
yes, indeed Kimberly! How we look should have nothing to do with how green our dollars are, and I do like being appreciated as a customer. It makes all the difference in the world to me.

Kalera
2007-08-07, 5:43pm
I will not purchase from anyone who I feel doesn't appreciate my business, may not like how I look and may treat me differently becasue of it, or is overly (IMO) nasty to people on line. I work hard for my money and I spend it with businesses run by people I like.

AMEN KIMBERLY!

Just Nancy
2007-08-07, 5:49pm
I agree Kimberly. That's what I was trying to say before. I don't know if there are AIM delays currently or if the issues come through one vendor. But I wouldn't presume they are all AIM issues. At least I didn't have any trouble obtaining mine when I bought it.

And I agree completely with the rest of your post. We all work hard for our money and are due the same amount of respect regardless of who we are. If vendors out there can't see that, I think it is their loss.

jhana
2007-08-07, 5:51pm
Oh yeah, it's their loss, because eventually people vote with their feet.

ShepherdCreations
2007-08-07, 9:38pm
I think this is actually a good thing, because it warns us who are shopping for a(nother) kiln who not to do business with. I will buy my Aim from Trev's glass, www.trevsglass.com , and they are really nice there. Thanks folks, this is a good warning!

Julz
2007-08-07, 9:39pm
Touché Renee!

Julz
2007-08-07, 9:40pm
I ordered mine from Grady, and AIM doesn't charge my card until it is ready to ship. Huh. Interesting, isn't it?

Dennis Brady
2007-08-09, 9:48pm
What, no appology yet to Kalera, Dennis Brady of VAG?.....that's just bad manners.
Renee

It was my belief at the time of Kalera's posting, and still is my belief, that her intent was exclusively to drag over the exchange from the other board to bring over Dwaines stated efforts to inflect as much damage as was achieveable.

There will be no apology. I believe my comments were justified and appropriate. I interpret Kalera's actions as personal and vindictive.

JetAge Studio
2007-08-09, 9:52pm
Dennis,
Look at Kalera's post #32, that's when you FIRST heard from her here. Where's the vindictive behaviour? SHE'S ADVERTIZING FOR YOU!

Renee

JetAge Studio
2007-08-09, 10:02pm
It was my belief at the time of Kalera's posting, and still is my belief, that her intent was exclusively to drag over the exchange from the other board to bring over Dwaines stated efforts to inflect as much damage as was achieveable

Your beef is with Dwaine, and I still say, your comments here on LE were out of line.
And you still owe her an appology.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-09, 10:04pm
Dennis,
Look at Kalera's post #32, that's when you FIRST heard from her here. Where's the vindictive behaviour? SHE'S ADVERTIZING FOR YOU!

Renee

I don't see it that way. My exchanges with Kalera have been routinely negative and I do not belief that she would do anything to assist me, but I thoroughly expect she would do anything she could to harm me. She was an active participant in an exchange where Dwaine specifically stated that it was his goal to inflect as much harm as he possibly could. Kalera posted the link here AFTER the issue had become completely antagonistic on the other board. I saw it clearly and unmistakeably as her attempt to get members from this board involved in the dispute on the other board. Probably because the prime player on the other board can't post directly here because his posts must first be moderated.

I interpreted Kalera's post as being personally vindictive and have seen nothing on this board or any other to make me believe otherwise.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-09, 10:05pm
Your beef is with Dwaine, and I still say, your comments here on LE were out of line.
And you still owe her an appology.

That is your opinion. I don't share it.

JetAge Studio
2007-08-09, 10:35pm
Can we just look at the facts for a sec....

Kalera posted an ad for you here at LE on this privously started thread, the day you posted your second response on GLGD saying you still had two kilns in stock for sale.
You posted that at aprox. 6am, 7/29/07.
Kalera posted the ad for you here aprox. 11:45am, 7/29/07.

The begining of the nastiness was with Dwaine on GLGD just after 11:15am that day, and continued with your responses well after 2:30pm.

Kalera did not respond to that thread on GLGD until 4:42 THE NEXT DAY.

Tell me, how then did her first post here become "completely antagonistic" just 1/2 hour after Dwaine posted his first response to you at GLGD?

You're accusing a very descent person of something she did not do.

That's all.
Renee

mybelovedbeads
2007-08-09, 11:12pm
Hi Cheryl,
Have you got your self a kiln yet?
There are Aussie ordering the AIM kiln too.
I couldn't wait up to 8 week or so I was told.
So I bought a Paragon SC3 with the window from ABR Imagery.
Ross was great and quick to answer emails.

I've just made my first beads in it today and waiting for them to cool.
So wonderful to make beads and have them kilned.

Tania

Kalera
2007-08-10, 12:12am
Funny, just a day or so ago I told someone who was curious about ordering a kiln from Dennis that she would probably be safe in doing so because I couldn't see him screwing her over. I could just as easily said no, don't buy from him, but I suggested she go ahead, and she did. Vindictive?

Dennis, you know the person I mean, she's in Australia. You can confirm with her if you like.

At this point I can only believe that, since I have been backed up by the owner and mods at the GLDG, and Dennis is afraid to be aggressive with the people there, he is taking out his frustrations and aggression on me here because I am young, female, and he believes me to be a weak and easy target. I have not even said the things that he accuses me of, yet he won't stop, nor apologize.

Thanks to Renee and others who have read both this thread and the ones at the GLDG, and have spoken up on my behalf! It is much appreciated.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-10, 5:56am
Funny, just a day or so ago I told someone who was curious about ordering a kiln from Dennis that she would probably be safe in doing so because I couldn't see him screwing her over. I could just as easily said no, don't buy from him, but I suggested she go ahead, and she did. Vindictive?

Dennis, you know the person I mean, she's in Australia. You can confirm with her if you like.

At this point I can only believe that, since I have been backed up by the owner and mods at the GLDG, and Dennis is afraid to be aggressive with the people there, he is taking out his frustrations and aggression on me here because I am young, female, and he believes me to be a weak and easy target. I have not even said the things that he accuses me of, yet he won't stop, nor apologize.

Thanks to Renee and others who have read both this thread and the ones at the GLDG, and have spoken up on my behalf! It is much appreciated.

If I am mistaken about your intent, then I apologize for being mistaken - but I still do not believe I am mistaken. Your age and gender have no relevance to me and I assuredly don't see you as weak and defenseless. If you want this argument stopped then just stop it now. I'll be more than pleased to ignore you - as I've elected to do with Dwaine.

The lady in Australia that ordered a kiln? (actually I have several booked to ship there - we sell a lot of stuff to Australia) I have repeated my standing offer to anyone that is concerned about their order or becomes tired of waiting for their kiln.

1. Phone the AIM factory to confirm order status.
2. If unwilling to wait, the order may be cancelled at any time before shipping and receive an immediate refund of deposit.

I understand the Australian lady in question has taken my advice and contacted AIM who confirmed that her kiln was ordered from AIM the same day she ordered it from me. So far, she has opted to wait for it to be shipped. As stated above, she may change her mind at any time up to shipment date. I have no doubt that she will become one of the several hundred customers that have been thoroughly pleased to get a great kiln at a great price from us - even if they didn't get it as fast as they would have liked.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-10, 6:22am
Can we just look at the facts for a sec....

Kalera posted an ad for you here at LE on this privously started thread, the day you posted your second response on GLGD saying you still had two kilns in stock for sale.
You posted that at aprox. 6am, 7/29/07.
Kalera posted the ad for you here aprox. 11:45am, 7/29/07.

The begining of the nastiness was with Dwaine on GLGD just after 11:15am that day, and continued with your responses well after 2:30pm.

Kalera did not respond to that thread on GLGD until 4:42 THE NEXT DAY.

Tell me, how then did her first post here become "completely antagonistic" just 1/2 hour after Dwaine posted his first response to you at GLGD?

You're accusing a very descent person of something she did not do.

That's all.
Renee

You are either confused or misinformed. This "nastiness" started July 25th and continued non-stop for 4 days before Kalera decided to bring it over to this board.
http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13273

My response to Kalera was 6 days AFTER she specifically questioned if it was being truthful claiming I actually had the kilns being offered for sale.

JetAge Studio
2007-08-10, 7:17am
[QUOTE=Dennis Brady;1320866]You are either confused or misinformed. This "nastiness" started July 25th and continued non-stop for 4 days before Kalera decided to bring it over to this board.
http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13273

Unless there were some posts that the moderators deleted, the link you sent, the same link I read in the begining, shows no one responded to you after your initial post on 7/25. Your next post was 7/29, and THAT'S when you got a response from Dwaine. It's all there for everyone to see.

Renee

Dennis Brady
2007-08-10, 7:25am
shows no one responded to you after your initial post on 7/25.

Now that's really odd. When I check that link I see it going for 111 posts after mine.

Here's the "simple question" from Kalera I take objection to:

Dennis, are you SURE you have them IN STOCK? Or is everyone who contacts you going to get the "oops, just sold 'em, but I can order you one at that price" story that everyone seems to get from you? And how is it, exactly, that you have these kilns in stock when everyone who has been waiting on a kiln from you is told "Sorry, AIM can't build them as fast as I can sell them, and they're waiting on parts..." etc.?

By the time Kalera made her post here linking to the other board, Dwaine was well into his public claim that I was lying about having kilns in my possession. She did not link to that thread UNTIL Dwaine begin claiming I was lying about having these kilns. It is PRECISELY because of the time consideration that I interpret Kalera's intent as being nothing more then an effort to bring LE participants into that issue. Her subsequent joining Dwaine in questioning my honesty removed any lingering doubt I may have had.

JetAge Studio
2007-08-10, 7:46am
Now that's really odd. When I check that link I see it going for 111 posts after mine.

AHHHHHH! ](*,)

Bear Rampant Glass
2007-08-10, 8:03am
Kimberly, you are one hell of a smart lady and you expressed what I (and apparently many others) feel just perfectly. There are so many people out there selling glass and glass supplies these days, why would you even bother spending your money with someone that acts like an ass in public? Do you think if someone is willing to roll around in the mud in front of customers or potential customers that they are going to behave any better is you have a problem with them while doing business with them. Most everyone wants to do business with someone that at least seems kind and concerned. Certain vendors should really pay attention to how they act publicly at a board that gets so very many visitors.
Dennis, whether or not you think Kalera was acting in good faith when she advertised for you, don't you think it would have been in your best interest to have responded with a little more tact instead of automatically going on the defensive and slinging as much shit as you could wrap your hands around? If you really had the idea that she was being underhanded you could easily have PMed or emailed her. People come here and read what you say to someone that seems to have been doing you a service and you just look like a major asshole. That doesn't seem like very good business sense to me. Even if Kalera only sent one sale your way...or even just simply didn't send a sale to someone else...you should be thanking her instead of hurling accusations like a spoiled five year old. Not that I think you will listen to what I have to say either, but seriously, think about the image you are portraying to the public.

Yes, they do! I have been thinking of getting one of their larger ones for quite a while now (can't decide between AIM or Paragon or a custom kiln from Mike Crowley).

I have to say that anymore, there are a lot of very fine vendors and competition is becoming more of an issue for glass and glass tool vendors. Because I have so many vendors to choose from now, I give my money to vendors who have good customer service, good products and are nice people. I will pay extra to deal with someone who is friendly and helpful. I will not purchase from anyone who I feel doesn't appreciate my business, may not like how I look and may treat me differently because of it, or is overly (IMO) nasty to people on line. I work hard for my money and I spend it with businesses run by people I like.

Kalera
2007-08-12, 5:14pm
Dennis, I didn't post the link to your ad to benefit *you*. I posted it to benefit *lampworkers who want a kiln*. Let me be as clear as possible: I don't like you, and I don't trust you. I posted the link here because I knew that there were people HERE IN THIS THREAD who had asked about where they could get a kiln that was IN STOCK, and you had kilns IN STOCK. I figured it was no risk to them if the kilns were IN STOCK, and I wanted the good people HERE, who EXPRESSED INTEREST, to have the chance to buy the kilns. I even wondered why you hadn't posted the ad here yourself, since people were asking and it stands to reason. After I posted the link, I went back to the GLDG (do you sit around on the boards reading every post all day? I don't. I come and go in between getting things done) and participated in the conversation on the GLDG. You may assume that my actions were in response to Dwaine's challenge, but as has been pointed out by mods at the GLDG... I am far from being Dwaine's sycophant.

I haven't been arguing with you here about anything besides the fact that I DID NOT SAY THE THINGS YOU CAME HERE AND CLAIMED I SAID. You've got it wrong. The end.

rusticstudio
2007-08-12, 7:35pm
Wow, this makes two vendors I will absolutely never do business with because of their childish behavior and totally inappropriate and/or lack of customer service.

As much as these exchanges make me cringe, it really shows people in their true light.

debkauz
2007-08-12, 8:06pm
Dennis is that was your idea of an apology it was pretty pathetic. You just went on my list of vendors I will absolutely never do business with as well. You are just nasty.

Peach Blossom Beads
2007-08-13, 7:51am
Dennis, I didn't post the link to your ad to benefit *you*. I posted it to benefit *lampworkers who want a kiln*. Let me be as clear as possible: I don't like you, and I don't trust you. I posted the link here because I knew that there were people HERE IN THIS THREAD who had asked about where they could get a kiln that was IN STOCK, and you had kilns IN STOCK. I figured it was no risk to them if the kilns were IN STOCK, and I wanted the good people HERE, who EXPRESSED INTEREST, to have the chance to buy the kilns. I even wondered why you hadn't posted the ad here yourself, since people were asking and it stands to reason. After I posted the link, I went back to the GLDG (do you sit around on the boards reading every post all day? I don't. I come and go in between getting things done) and participated in the conversation on the GLDG. You may assume that my actions were in response to Dwaine's challenge, but as has been pointed out by mods at the GLDG... I am far from being Dwaine's sycophant.

I haven't been arguing with you here about anything besides the fact that I DID NOT SAY THE THINGS YOU CAME HERE AND CLAIMED I SAID. You've got it wrong. The end.

I bought my kiln from Dennis when he posted "IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP WITHIN 24 HOURS.". I got it 8 weeks later after many phone calls to him and AIM, who still had to build it, by the way.

cherylsart
2007-08-13, 8:18am
Sheesh! What a can of worms I opened! I just wanted something to anneal my beads in. I've been going back and forth over what I want in a kiln, and at this point I'm having an artistic crisis where I'm not even sure if I want to keep torching, so I'm glad I decided not to get the kiln. For awhile I didn't think I wanted anything other than a bead annealer, but now I'm back to thinking about something I can fuse in. I'm so screwed up in my head artistically right now that I'm fighting the urge to just dump all my art supplies in the trash.

So no, I still don't have a kiln, and I don't know what I want, and I don't even know if I need one at this point.

Cheryl

Dennis Brady
2007-08-13, 8:37am
I bought my kiln from Dennis when he posted "IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP WITHIN 24 HOURS.". I got it 8 weeks later after many phone calls to him and AIM, who still had to build it, by the way.

You were told when you ordered your kiln that the in stock kilns were all sold and you were given the option of ordering one (at a substantially lower than usual cost) and waiting for one to be built. The last time I had a kiln sale, we had 4 kilns in stock but received requests for 13. That's why this time I specifically stated the number of kilns I had in stock.

Regardless of who you order an AIM kiln from, it takes a while to have one built ......unless the vendor has preordered kilns and has them in stock for sale. Because it takes so long to get kilns from AIM, I'm routinely ordering kilns on speculation so I can offer them as in stock ready to ship.

It usually takes 3 - 4 weeks to get a kiln from AIM but it's presently taking 6 - 8 weeks. I can supply a great kiln at a great price - but if you're in a hurry and want one quickly, I can't help unless the model you want is one that I have previously ordered on speculation of sale. We always have some kilns in stock and some already on order - but it may or may not be the model kiln you're looking for.

If you want a kiln on short order, there are many alternative suppliers.

At no time - not once - not ever - have I told a customer I had a kiln available in stock when I didn't. When I post an ad that I have kilns for immediate shipment, I have them - but I only have a set quantity. Once the kilns I have are sold, anyone that wants a kiln must wait for AIM to build it.

Here's what I have NOW. Not necessarily tomorrow, or even later today. Available NOW. They're on our shop floor.

1 - AIM 99LS with Bartlett 3 key
1 - AIM 9169GSD 120V with Bartlett 3 key
1 - AIM 94J with Bartlett 3 key
1 - AIM 1406LE with Bartlett 3 key
1 - AIM 2309 with Bartlett 3 key

Here's what we expect to have available VERY soon:

2 - AIM 99LS with Bartlett 3 key
2 - AIM 84BD with Bartlett 3 key
1 - AIM 2913 with Bartlett 3 key

There are still more kilns on order but probably not ready for several weeks. We also have a number of kilns to be drop shipped from AIM to various customers - some of which have been waiting almost 8 weeks.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-13, 9:02am
To be sure there is no misunderstanding or misconception.....

The kilns available for immediate sale for shipment from AIM to US customers were sold last week - including a pair we arranged to be picked up on the weekend at the Eugene Flame Off. The kilns listed in my previous post here are in our Victoria BC shop and are for shipment ONLY to Canada. There are all in crates ready for immediate shipment.

Every 2 weeks we drive down to Corvallis OR and pickup kilns from AIM and bring them into Canada cleared through Canada Customs. The price in Canada reflects the cost of doing that and is more then the cost of having them shipped direct from AIM. We do not sell from Canada at the same price we charge to ship direct from the AIM factory.

JetAge Studio
2007-08-13, 9:54am
Geeze, you have so many "conditions" as to how/when/what you sell Dennis. You make my head spin.

Cheryl,
I got my JenKen kiln from AA Products, they are continually great to do business with. I ordered my kiln, and if I remember correctly, I got it within 2 weeks. It's a small model, that was originally bought for doing the small elements in my fused work. I now use it to anneal my beads, and I LOVE the fact that I can do many things with this little kiln. It's definitely a good thing to be diverse! I think they have really good prices too.

http://www.aaproducts.com/CatalogPlain.html

Here's the link to see their catalog. They are also very friendly to talk to on the phone.

Good luck!!
Renee Wiggins
JetAge Studio

cherylsart
2007-08-13, 10:01am
Thanks Kimberly. It's not this stuff with AIM that has me in a crisis. I'm just going through one of those artistic "dark night of the soul" phases. I'll work it out. But I am thinking that I may not want just an annealer, because I do like to do fusing and I have a market for it, and my old Paragon RapidFire didn't act right last time I used it. The off/on switch got hot. Never has before. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the wiring. I need to take it outside and test it.

Thanks again!

Cheryl

Dennis Brady
2007-08-13, 10:03am
A productive posting.

Just got off the phone with a glass shop in Alberta that bought the 3 fusing kilns. They are gone. No longer available. The lampworking kilns are as yet uncommitted. As yet.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-13, 10:45am
Cheryl, if you decide you're willing to reconsider getting an AIM kiln (ANY model) I'll get you one at dealer cost.

Dennis Brady
2007-08-13, 3:18pm
I think it's time to answer Cheryl's initial question.

How does AIM stay in business?

AIM stays in business by building an exceptionally good kiln and making it possible for people to get them at exceptionally good prices. They've been building exceptionally good kilns since 1966 and I fully expect they'll still be building exceptionally good kilns in 2066.

Beckah
2007-08-13, 4:20pm
Cheryl, you can also search for kiln info on Warm Glass http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/index.php which is a fusing forum. They have lots of kiln info and they have recommendations for vendors that carry kilns. You can also check their sponsors at the top of the page. I happen to like Two Lasses with Glass Classes http://www.twolassesglassclasses.com/ -- I've ordered lots of fusing things from them and they're great. I ordered my Paragon Caldera from Centre DeVerre http://www.cdvkiln.com/ It was two weeks from order to arrival and that was in the midst of hurricanes! CDV has since changed owners so I don't know about their current customer service but searching Warm Glass should give you some idea.

squid
2007-08-13, 5:01pm
I got my kiln fromo two lasses also and they are great!

juji
2007-10-07, 9:20pm
I just thought I would bump this thread with some info about my experience ordering an AIM kiln.

It has been 13 weeks now and I am still waiting.... I tried emailing AIM on August 28th to get some first hand info about how my order was progressing but I never got a reply.

I am now relying on the info which Dennis from Vicartglass gives me in relation to my order. In fairness to Dennis, he always responds to my emails and it must be frustrating for him too. However the info I have been receiving for about 8 weeks now is that my kiln "is in production this week". Why does AIM give out this kind of info if it is not true? It just causes frustration and disappointment! ](*,) I am seriously considering cancelling my order, but then I would have to start again. The only thing that makes me hang in there is that everyone says the AIM84BD is a great kiln and I keep thinking surely it must be nearly ready for shipping by now.

Seems a bit dodgy to me that a company can accept a 50% deposit for goods that they can't deliver in a reasonable time frame. They have my money for longer than 3 months and I have nothing to show for it.

I just hope it will be worth the wait and I won't have any problems with it.

In the meantime I have stopped making beads because I can't stand the heartbreak of so many of them breaking while I wait for my kiln.

juji :(

Wendyki
2007-10-07, 9:39pm
I bought a 94bd with a manual pyrometer and after almost 4 months to get it faster I upgraded to the computer controller. and got it 2 weeks after that
I do not like my kiln I feel everytime I move it no matter how gentle a peice of it falls off .
It does work like it is supposed to and does everything it is supposed to do. However the bead door is too small for my uses and I think the firebrick is to light a grade or something. If I had it all over to do again I would buy a steel encased kiln not just one in layers with bands.
also make sure if you want to make vessels or other big work the bead door is adequite to what you want.

I did not order from Dennis so I have to speak up and say other vendors who sell aim have the same issues
if I had it all over to do again I would buy a chili pepper or jen ken or a paragon bluebird even these have a wait time too tho.

But I agree aim should extend its worktime if they are going to take longer better to expect a long wait and get it quicker then a short one and be dissapointed.

Dennis I hope you show aim these comments

cherylsart
2007-10-07, 9:56pm
I'm actually glad things turned out the way they did, because I've finally decided to buy a Jen-Ken, but not a Chili Pepper. I'm getting the AF3P, the one that's 11 inches wide, so I can anneal but also do fusing. It's the same price as the Chili Pepper. I like to do fusing of small cabs and I want to try my hand at making some small dishes too. So this one will be just right, and they keep them in stock at Two Lasses.

Cheryl

mybelovedbeads
2007-10-07, 10:16pm
Cheryl,
glad to know you bought a kiln. Can I add finally lol.

juji
I know just how you feel before I had my kiln.
Many broken bead that were apart of me and all that work.

Tania

Just Nancy
2007-10-08, 5:14pm
I still like my Aim. I got it quickly and it has worked well. It has been to the school and used by my daughter for a science fair project and been left unattended and returned just fine.

I did want a larger one from Frantz way back when. (At the time I was told I didn't need a kiln if I was using a Hot Head.) I'm sure if I had it, I'd be happy. I like that I can really load this one up but if I don't work for very long I don't feel like I've heated up a cavernous space. I also like having height to do some slumping if I get around to it. And the option of removing the bead door ring and fusing.

Dennis Brady
2007-10-09, 5:05pm
I did not order from Dennis so I have to speak up and say other vendors who sell aim have the same issues

It's pleasantly refreshing to find someone crediting AIM's delivery delays on something other then my personal responsibility.

Alison D
2007-10-09, 5:29pm
I recently went round the bush on this issue and found the problems to be on Aims side. They do not return phone calls and they can not answer easy questions like how or when something was shipped or whether an order had been placed yet. Dennis was always available and quick to answer phone calls and emails about the Aim issues. I think Dennis is taking alot of flack for Aim problems. The problems aren't the wait time. The problem is the woman who answers the phone there is not organized and dosen't follow through with call backs when she can't give honest answers to simple questions. This is driving their costomers nuts. I went ahead and ordered one of Mike's beauties and I know I will be happy. Good luck with the hot boxes everyone
Alison

kukatie
2007-11-02, 7:21am
I waited a looong time for my kiln from AIM, but I am glad I did. I developed a good relationship with the lady who answered the phone and I think that helped me get my kiln. I ordered it in May and received it in August. I have enjoyed my kiln and at the price I got from Dennis, it was worth the wait.

Kate in Kansas

Lyric0561
2007-11-02, 10:10am
I'm actually glad things turned out the way they did, because I've finally decided to buy a Jen-Ken, but not a Chili Pepper. I'm getting the AF3P, the one that's 11 inches wide, so I can anneal but also do fusing. It's the same price as the Chili Pepper. I like to do fusing of small cabs and I want to try my hand at making some small dishes too. So this one will be just right, and they keep them in stock at Two Lasses.

Cheryl

This is the same kiln I got from two lasses 18 months ago. I LOVE IT!!

I got my delivery in 2 weeks, I think. I can't even imagine having to wait longer than that.