Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Intro + looking for solutions

Pine Cone
2007-09-16, 9:26am
Hi all :wave:

I posted this yesterday in the Family Room and they suggested that I should also ask here - also I thought I'd introduce myself.....

I'm not yet a lampworker but had planned on becoming one in the next couple of weeks. It seems like a natural extension of my creative efforts. (I'm a painter and photographer.) And I'm familiar with the results of lampworking, despite never having done it myself.

I had all my equipment picked out (but NOT purchased) (including an Arrow Springs AF138-T4) when I came to a thread here on LE about kilns burning up:

See posts #48 and #57 here :hide:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=59720&page=2

ALSO:

Not only does the whole kiln-burning-up-thing get pretty scary, but I can't figure an appropriate way to ventilate. I live in a SMALL apartment with an attached garage that is mostly full. But I'd have a clear area in the end one-third of the garage. This would be the end of the garage that includes the garage door. BUT there's no cross ventilation - just the garage door itself. Is there some way to ventilate UNDER the garage door in the bitter cold of winter, since renters can't modify the building???

In the winter it gets to single digits (day) below zero (night) for days on end.

Is anyone else in this situation, yet lampworking successfully, without being poisoned?

What were your solutions?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Just Nancy
2007-09-16, 9:35am
I'm not coming up with any way to vent across the garage and use the door for make up air and venting. Are you near anyone else? Maybe you could use someone else's space in the cold months?

earlbacher
2007-09-16, 12:04pm
if you could open the door just a little... think of maybe making a 1foot high filler that you could put in/under the bottom of the door... make it with two holes, one on each side of the garage door... one would be your intake, and the other you hook up to a fan large enough for proper venting, which would be in turn attached to a hood....
i hope that makes sense.. if not, i'll see about making a boodle...

Pine Cone
2007-09-17, 2:31pm
Thanks Shawn, I'll give this some thought. Don't know if it will work though. Aren't we supposed to keep the vent tube thingies straightish?