Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What can go wrong with a kiln??

Lisi
2007-09-18, 4:23pm
I ask this because I've had mine for about 4 years now, and it's the Paragon from www.hotglassbeads.com

I'm getting a little paranoid because I don't have a back-up kiln (can't afford it at the moment, but working on it!), so I would like to know: What parts on a kiln like this are likely to burn out or need replacement? If it's the element, I think I should buy one now from the Paragon company in TX, just to have on hand. What do you think??

I figure that if I have some parts on hand and it's possible for me to fix the kiln with assistance from their tech dept. by phone, then I won't have to be out of work for 2 weeks waiting for the parts to arrive.

Just want to be prepared, 'cuz ya never know!

beadgoodies
2007-09-18, 5:24pm
My kiln is 4 years old now. I've rebuilt it twice now. Mine is the stackable type and the middle ring is the part of the kiln that has all the important stuff. So, when I first started out, I bought a spare one. So, when something goes wrong with my kiln, all I need to do is switch out the old heating ring with the replacement and then just fix the problem with no big rush on time. I've replaced the heating element twice. I keep a couple spares around now. I've also had the electrical components fry on me twice.

The first time was just because it was old and the second time was my fault. :D To rewire the kiln all I need to do is snip off the corroded part, restrip the wires and reconnect them. It's actually really easy! I keep high temperature connectors and brass connectors 86488 on-hand to rewire my kiln. When I rewired my kiln the first time, one of the brass connectors was touching the metal housing and it fried out quickly. So, when you're rewiring a kiln, make sure all the wires are NOT touching each other or anything else! What was nice in my case is that I had a brand new heating ring to look at for reference so I knew how it all went together.

If I were you, I'd get a new heating element and check out the wiring of your kiln (where the electric plug goes into the kiln). If the wiring looks good, take a picture of it! So, that in the future if it corrodes on you, you'll know what goes where and what to buy to fix it. From the picture of the kilns at the website you linked to, it doesn't look like it's that easy to see the actual wiring of your kiln. The electric box on my kiln is very easy to inspect. My kiln is all fire brick with no metal housing around it and my controller is separate also. So, at least in my case, it's pretty clear what's going on with my kiln. You may need to take off the metal housing on your kiln to see the electical connections.

Well, good luck! I've had my share of kiln issues, but it's because of those issues that I've learned how the thing works and how to fix it when something goes wrong. So, if you can, try to figure yours out and buy spare parts of what you see. A kiln is easy to fix! There's no motor, etc. A basic kiln has fire brick, a heating element that's wired to a plug with high temperature terminals and connectors. Do some investigating and take pictures. Someone here will help you, I'm sure!

Candy

beadgoodies
2007-09-18, 5:35pm
Oh yeah and another thing...if you start messing with your element wire and it's 4 years old, i'm sure it's hard and brittle by now and could easily break. I'm saying this because one of the times I had to replace my element wire was when I was rewiring it. The slight tension on the wire of pulling it through the brass connector broke it. It wasn't a biggie as I had another element but it wasn't what I was expecting. So, just fyi.

Candy

MaryBeth
2007-09-18, 5:51pm
I've had a relay go bad in mine. That was once in four years. I haven't had anything else go wrong but a short list of things to keep on hand that you can fix yourself is:

thermocouple
relay
element

I actually had Arrowsprings replace my relay because they did some some cleaning and maintenance work on the controller also. For them to repair it and the part was around $40.00. So a relay on it's own should be fairly inexpensive. Thermocouples are less than $20.00. Elements should be cheap also. I think that's about it!

oldschooltofu
2007-09-18, 8:56pm
the bricks can get worn....i have had some problems with craking (my quartz kiln)

i have also had to replace the fiber pads on the doors, they can get pretty worn if you open it a lot each day.

thats why they make overnight shipping

Emiko
2007-09-19, 1:04am
In the past 12 years I had one relay trouble, and one thermocouple breakage. The elements are still good.

Abacus Beads
2007-09-19, 6:36am
In the past 7+ years I have only recently had to replace the padding on the front door. Other than the digital thingey that keeps the temp( I'm at a loss for the correct word here) right and the annealing sequence getting messed up ( un programed ) I have not had any problem, with the kiln itself .
Liz R

G.L.McBead
2007-09-19, 6:56am
In the past 7+ years I have only recently had to replace the padding on the front door. Other than the digital thingey that keeps the temp( I'm at a loss for the correct word here) right and the annealing sequence getting messed up ( un programed ) I have not had any problem, with the kiln itself .
Liz R
What kiln is this?
Thanks,
G.

G.L.McBead
2007-09-19, 6:57am
In the past 12 years I had one relay trouble, and one thermocouple breakage. The elements are still good.

And what kiln is this one?
Thanks,
G.

G.L.McBead
2007-09-19, 6:59am
This is a great thread.
Thanks,
G.

Lisi
2007-09-19, 12:35pm
Yeah, I would like to know what kilns those are too! Hmmm...seems pretty durable!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I know what I need to do now. Oh, and I'm glad this thread was rated! I figured this would be a topic that concerns most of us. :)

Emiko
2007-09-19, 12:51pm
I have 2 Arrow Springs kilns, one with Paragon controller, one with Arrow Springs controller. The thermocouple was Paragon controller's (But Craig fixed it for me.) and the relay switch was on Arrow Springs controller, so the kiln themselves have been trouble-free. For 12 years, that's darn good.

Teague
2007-09-19, 1:50pm
I've done the element on mine...hmmm 4 times. Twice I think it was jostling from moving the kiln. And the relay once. I bought it used, it says it was built in 2004. Mine is Jen-Ken.

Teague