Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : hoses and their "life span"

Nokomis
2007-11-18, 9:43am
I bought my oxygen and propane hoses when I bought my torch - about 5 years ago. I was wondering when I should replace them. Also, how long do propane regulators generally last (mine is outside on my tank but protected in a plastic garden hose housing - it is a mini garden shed). So it stays protected and dry. Thanks in advance for the wisdom!:)

Jenny

J Cave
2007-11-20, 9:13am
Jenny,

Hoses tend to last for a very long time i.e. much longer than five years. I've used hoses that were thirty plus years old, they were in fine shape. One thing to know, and I forget the type, but not all hoses are rated for propane. The rubber lining will deteriorate when exposed to propane for extended periods, which can be years. The black rubber becomes gooey. Yet another reason to bleed the lines when done for the day.

I'll see if I can dig up the type of hose rated for propane.

Jerry

Dale M.
2007-11-20, 5:53pm
I have welding hoses that are subject to all kinds of abuse compared to relative gentle life a hose has in studio and they are over 25 years old and still safe and functioning...

And hose used with propane should be rated as grade "T" ( welding industry) or actually have stamping or embossing in hose saying that it is approved for LPG use (or some similar statements)...

Dale

Nokomis
2007-11-22, 8:02am
Thank you Jerry and Dale for answering my questions. I thought that I had read awhile back that hoses did last for quite awhile, but wanted to make sure. I appreciate your answers and wisdom! Have a wonderful Turkey Day!

Jenny :-)

FourTailsLampwork
2007-11-23, 3:43pm
I'm glad to know too; mine run (disconnected after every session) through my window, and they get hit with the sun and are rather faded. So it's good to know that that is cosmetic :)

beadysam
2007-11-24, 4:15pm
I've had mine 18months and they are faded and starting to crack - I will be buying more this month as I can't see what is happening inside and it un-nerves me!

Dale M.
2007-11-24, 4:51pm
Put something on then to protect them from UV radiation (outside portion) and it will extend the life ... Simply wrapping them in aluminum foil may be solution...

Dale

beadysam
2007-11-24, 4:57pm
How much does low temp effect the hoses, because its below freezing here at the moment...

beadstillmyheart
2007-11-25, 1:56am
A friendly tip:

I once accidentally poked a hole in one of my hoses and was upset to suddenly smell gas. I stopped by the welders supply place to buy new hose and the guy there recommended a hose repair kit. You cut out the damaged piece of hose, put caps on either end with the crimping tool that is included and then put the two end pieces together with a coupler. Saved me TONS of money. The kit looks something like this...enough supplies to repair LOTS of hose accidents, only I didn't pay nearly this much.

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000849.htm