Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Dog Tag Ideas?

chrissij
2008-02-28, 8:21am
Okay, so I'm not sure why I'm gonna explain the whole reasoning for my question, but I am.

I made dog jewelry for my pooches, with a St. Francis medal, and a dime sized, Andrea inspired wolf paw bead with a stringer letter on the reverse side. "A" is for Astra, "B" is for Brisbee, "C" is for ChiChi. Because I have their collars, I was able to use one of my thinnest mandrels to wire wrap the tag/dog jewelry onto them. A few of my Volvo clients have asked me to make them one for their dogs. I don't think I can.

How these pendants are secured to the collar has to be REALLY STRONG considering they'll adorn a non-jewelry conscious pooch. That's why I used a thin mandrel for mine. It was a BITCH to wire wrap with. Have any of you, any idea, as to how I could make the pendant, as secure as it needs to be, for other people without having the collar? I don't.

IF-Designs
2008-02-28, 8:29am
wire wrap it onto a split ring key ring?

chrissij
2008-02-28, 8:38am
wire wrap it onto a split ring key ring?

I've not found any small enough. All the ones I've seen are about half-dollar size. You know of a place to get them smaller?

squid
2008-02-28, 8:59am
I have tiny tiny split rings - about 4 mm. They sell them at walmart - or I can send you some. I have a bazillion of them

lunamoonshadow
2008-02-28, 9:00am
What about using copper wire? That's what I use for my zipper pulls & then I use one of those little "clips" to attach it (the kind you see on badge holders)
I also got some keyrings/split rings in a multipack @ the dreaded Wallyworld in mixed colors, half were "normal sized" & half were just a bit smaller than a quarter. The package was mixed with those & the "clips" for badge holders (which I use for zipper pulls)
It's how I use wonky beads! (and yes, most of *my* beads qualify! But around here, there's not a huge market for "fine art" anyway ;))

The copper wire I pick up @ the local hardware store--they carry like 5 different sizes of it!

chrissij
2008-02-28, 9:01am
I'm thinking I need 'em to be about 10mm so they can wrap around some of those larger metal collar loops. I can go to Wally World, no biggie...are the ones you have REALLY strong?

mtnglass
2008-02-28, 9:02am
Joann's also carries small split rings.

Julie

lunamoonshadow
2008-02-28, 9:03am
Strong enough for dad to not rip 'em up when he pulls on his zippers...& he's handicapped! (he was ripping through normal headpins & stuff in about a week :roll: --that's why I switched to 14g copper & badge clips or keyrings for his zipper pulls!)
(he can't get ahold of his zipper tags--they're too tiny & delicate, so I make him the pulls, mom installs them on his zippers, to give him something "textured & larger"--he grabs them & YANKS the heck out of 'em!)

chrissij
2008-02-28, 9:05am
What about using copper wire? That's what I use for my zipper pulls & then I use one of those little "clips" to attach it (the kind you see on badge holders)
I also got some keyrings/split rings in a multipack @ the dreaded Wallyworld in mixed colors, half were "normal sized" & half were just a bit smaller than a quarter. The package was mixed with those & the "clips" for badge holders (which I use for zipper pulls)
It's how I use wonky beads! (and yes, most of *my* beads qualify! But around here, there's not a huge market for "fine art" anyway ;))

The copper wire I pick up @ the local hardware store--they carry like 5 different sizes of it!

I was thinking about getting lobster clasps, which is what I use for zipper pulls, but I don't think they'd hold up against a rough and tumble dog. I don't mind using the really thin mandrels I have. I think I just need to get a stronger pair of round nose pliers so the wrapping doesn't do a number on my hands. I'll have one heck of a grip if I keep this up. ;)

bubblebabeuk
2008-02-28, 9:36am
What a FAB idea I'd love to see a picture of your dogtags! Hint hint!

gwacie
2008-02-28, 9:40am
Chris what did you do about the end (the non loop end)?

Karen Hardy
2008-02-28, 10:13am
I found a shitload of split rings in all sizes at my local hardware store.
(I actually BOUGHT them for my pooches collar).

If you still can't find any, PM me with the sizes and details and I'll see
if they have any more in stock. They were dirt cheap - you'll definitely pay
more to get them shipped to you then the actual price of the rings.

Lisa
2008-02-28, 10:37am
I personally would hesitate to use copper since it can work harden and become brittle, and break. I would stick with some kind of steel like in the split rings.

squid
2008-02-28, 11:56am
I'm thinking I need 'em to be about 10mm so they can wrap around some of those larger metal collar loops. I can go to Wally World, no biggie...are the ones you have REALLY strong?

yes - and they should have some close to the size you want - or michaels does also.