Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Ditch the Fireworks Torch

firedancer
2008-05-27, 12:16pm
I could not help but post this, so other new bead makers, will not have to waste all the glass, I have wasted. I have been making beads for only two weeks, and was almost ready to throw, in the towel, or should probably say throw out the torch. Which is exactly, what I did. I threw the Fireworks Torch, in the trash, never to be used again. I have struggled, for two weeks now, and wasted a ton of glass, trying to make a perfect round bead, with nice dimples,on the ends, etc. Reading all the info, here, trying to find out, what the HECK, I was doing so wrong. This morning, I got a Hothead Torch, and the very first bead I made, was beautiful. Believe me, I am a perfectionist. If it is not just right, I was never going to be happy. So please, all beginners, do not use the Fireworks Torch. Hothead, is so much better, easier, all of the tips, and tricks, I have read at this site, actually do work, if you have the right Torch. Hope this saves another new beader, from quitting, giving up, or just plain wasting, all that glass.

klcbeads
2008-05-27, 12:52pm
I agree 100% with your post. Not only what I was producing horrible beads while on a Fireworks torch, the torch was completely unreliable in my experience. The torch head even caught on fire once. Just for a little bit more money get a hothead and you will definitely see the difference. I have been working happily on that now for 2 years. I am only now considering upgrading to a Minor.

Firebrand Beads
2008-05-27, 4:09pm
The minor isn't that much more expensive, especially when you consider the price of the MAPP canisters. In my opinion, any of these single-fuel torches are like a tricycle. You can never take off the extra wheels and make it a ten-speed! But the Minor I have had for 18 years and I've only had to send it out to be refaced once, after 15 years.
HOWEVER! Dual-fuel isn't for everyone, and I must say I have been *very* impressed with what some of you can DO with a tricycle!=D>

jaci
2008-05-27, 4:13pm
quote]I have been *very* impressed with what some of you can DO with a tricycle![/quote]

:lol: thanks i think.... :love:

NLC Beads
2008-05-27, 5:10pm
I love my tricycle - 5 years and no plans to replace it! - but I wouldn't have made it down the sidewalk with a Fireworks. One student brought one to a class I taught and after every bead I requested that she try a HotHead instead. FINALLY she made a bead that wasn't burnt and she felt happy about.

cghipp
2008-05-27, 5:28pm
YES. I tried to teach a friend who had bought this torch. It is total crap. We couldn't even wind any glass with it, but we did a good job of blackening and devitrifying some rods. She ditched it for a HotHead and was finally able to make something.

ROC
2008-05-27, 5:30pm
Mine caught FIRE several times. No, not the fire coming out the torch end, but fire coming up from the vent on the top.

firedancer
2008-05-27, 5:36pm
Thank you all for your comments, I was a little afraid I had gone out on a limb, to be so upset, with the fireworks torch. My Hothead, tricycle, must have training wheels, the newbie, that I am. Also, I am in a rural area, of Florida, and learning lampworking on my own, reading, all I can on this site. After using the hothead today, I am finally torching, in pure bliss. How wonderful, to be able to make a round bead. LOL
I thought maybe, I was one of those (never going to be coordinated) to do this. I just finished a couple of orange ones, with pretty white dots. HEHEHE!!
Even my hubby, said, NOW, there ya go, I think ya got it!!!

Firebrand Beads
2008-05-27, 5:49pm
quote]I have been *very* impressed with what some of you can DO with a tricycle!

:lol: thanks i think.... :love:[/QUOTE]

Glad you didn't take offense! I seriously had doubts about those Hotheads until seeing what YOU, IN PARTICULAR can do with that thing! And the rest of you showing Hothead beads here ain't no slouches either.... For me it just seemed too limiting because I also do a little boro and blowing, which about tops out the range on my Minor.
I think I made the comment only for someone who's trying to decide what torch to buy.... if you want more range than a Hothead will provide, why start with the small one and then have to buy a larger torch (and the regulators, etc) later? But if the HH range is all you think you'll want - it's a great price and easy to work.

firedancer
2008-05-28, 4:42am
Jaci: Took a look at your beads, made with a Hothead. Gives me inspiration. Very impressed. Thank you

jaci
2008-05-28, 10:12am
:love: aww you guys are sooo sweet! :love:

I make beads as a hobby, and have had my HH for 10 years now. (I think it was in storage for a few of them.. lol) I have not even really thought about upgrading. every time I do I find myself happy with what I have.

Amybeads
2008-05-28, 1:26pm
I just can't believe it. I have had my Fireworks torch for 3 1/2 years and the only problem I have ever had is the starter going bad. It works great for me, but I am starting to think that is quite rare. Sorry to hear you had such bad luck.

truegem
2008-05-29, 4:42am
I have never heard of a fireworks torch. Does it use the same MAPP gas canisters as the hot head? Sounds like the hot head is muuuuch better. I used one for 5 years and it was great, but I cannot believe I used it for so long. I was able to do just about everything on it, but I recently upgraded for a mini CC and there are 4 benefits.
1. Raku. Can finally get colors colors colors!
2. I cannot tell you how much money I have saved. I have been using the same propane tank ($13 to fill) for almost two months. I would have spent probably about $150 on MAPP gas in this amount of time!
3. Faster melting. I recently made a bead on a hot head again after being away from the hot head for 2 months and I was so BORED sitting there waiting for the glass to melt.
4. Much quieter!
Anyway, I know I kind of changed the subject, but just wanted to say I recommend upgrading! =)

firedancer
2008-05-30, 7:19am
Wow Amy, Not sure what to tell, you, except, when I switched over to the Hothead, it was like the difference, of test driving a Cadillac, to a model T. And I say test drive, because, as I stated, I am very new to lampworking, and WOW, there is a big difference in the Torch. I may be just too new, to be able to handle the Fireworks Torch. Thanks, for your comments.

lunamoonshadow
2008-05-30, 9:36am
Nah--everything I've read about the fireworks torch is that it's pretty much, um...junque. Just look in the garage sale for instance--on any of the boards you pretty much never see them for sale "used", because they break--or if you do, it will say "broken starter" :roll: or "used once upgraded to HOTHEAD" :lol: Hotheads on the other hand, go for years & people trade them off in the garage sale for $20-$35 all the time. The older "more adjustable" ones are still quite in demand & how else can you get started melting glass for such a low price? (I KNOW you still have ventilation costs, but really, that's a darn good torch price when you figure no regulators & no oxygen supply needed!)
And...you can clean it yourself (no need to send it out) if you gunk it up--just perfect!

Doing a demo or an outdoor show? Easy to pack, you can pick up a couple little tanks @ any hardware store--or grab a fresh BBQ tank pretty much anywhere & because it's not attached to gauges & multiple tanks & lots of hoses, it doesn't tend to SCARE the local inspector people near as much as a bigger torch! (hey, with a 1# tank, it really looks like you're making beads with nothing more than a plumber's torch--and most places don't have laws prohibiting using those in public--if they did, plumbers couldn't do their jobs :lol:)

jaci
2008-05-30, 10:35pm
um...junque

HAHAHAHAhahahahaha....