Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : My Bobcat is making a "tink" sound...

Roseanne
2005-12-07, 11:59am
I have never heard this before. Any ideas as to way it's making that noise?
It truly sounds like that "awful" sound when your bead goes "tink".:confused:

I'm on NG & an oxy con, torch is 2yrs old, but has maybe been only worked for about 6 months.

Thanks!

MikeAurelius
2005-12-07, 12:36pm
It might be heat expansion of the various metals in the torch. There are at least two different metals used, and they all expand and contract at different rates. Usually what happens is that a part will try to expand and get held up by another part that isn't moving quite as fast - a bit of small stress builds up, then you hear a "TINK" as the stress is releases as the part finally moves. Don't worry about it, it is perfectly normal. My torch usually does it on the cool down after a long session.

R4GlassStudio
2005-12-07, 1:29pm
Mike's got it. It's normal for some surface mix torches.

Roseanne
2005-12-07, 2:50pm
Thank you to both of you!! I feel bettah now;) Guess I never noticed before cuz the music too loud~ hehe

luke gardner
2005-12-08, 7:41pm
I don't think a GTT should get that hot. Are you always running the middle o2 and making sure your candles never get shorter than 1/4 inch? Either one of these could cause the torch to heat up.

luke gardner
2005-12-08, 7:52pm
Sorry i assumed all GTTs had one. My bad.

Roseanne
2005-12-08, 8:06pm
All cones are 1/4" and not plugged. I really notice it when I'm reducing. And like I said before, I used to torch w/loud music and now, all there is is the hum of the oxy con.

MikeAurelius
2005-12-09, 4:58am
Yes, the Bobcat DOES NOT have a center knob. Unlike the rest of the GTT line, the Bobcat is not a "Triple Mix", it is a standard surface mix torch like the Minor and Piranha.