Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Earliest American Lampworking Book

LaurieBSmith
2008-06-08, 6:17pm
Does anyone know the earliest of the illustrated lampwork bead books? Not necessarily instruction books....but color photos for sure?

bluhealer
2008-06-09, 6:31am
Maybe the SGB exhibition catalogs from 92-93 or so?
I had the Kerwin book back then and it had no photos.

LaurieBSmith
2008-06-09, 8:27am
Maybe the SGB exhibition catalogs from 92-93 or so?
I had the Kerwin book back then and it had no photos.

It suddenly struck me yesterday, that I didn't know the earliest and that got me curious. I tried searching ...but I am search challenged. I have the black & white illustrated soft cover book, too....

PLus....If I don't have it, I want it. In fact, I expect I need it.....right???

Chuckie
2008-06-09, 10:29am
Check with Lewis Wilson. He may be able to answer your question.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/member.php?u=3098

patienthand
2008-06-09, 1:00pm
I have a book by hammarsfar and stong called creative glassblowing that has some bead making instructions in it. I got it about 32 years ago, and it had been in print quite a while at that point. It has some pretty odd ways of doing things in that book, but covers a wide range of flameworking.. At the time it was the ONLY book out there.

Candice King-Palgut

LaurieBSmith
2008-06-10, 7:13pm
Check with Lewis Wilson. He may be able to answer your question.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/member.php?u=3098

Good idea....Sorry to be so long getting back...I forgot about this thread.

LaurieBSmith
2008-06-10, 7:14pm
I have a book by hammarsfar and stong called creative glassblowing that has some bead making instructions in it. I got it about 32 years ago, and it had been in print quite a while at that point. It has some pretty odd ways of doing things in that book, but covers a wide range of flameworking.. At the time it was the ONLY book out there.

Candice King-Palgut

Wow....I'd love to see it....I'll start a search in used book stores. Thanks!

patienthand
2008-06-10, 8:04pm
I got to thinking... the corning museum of glass in corning new york has a huge library of old glass books and info etc. I bet you could call them , and they would be happy to give you the info you want, and perhaps even send some copies of things, and at least a list of thigs. There is also a book store in that area that handles old out of print glass blooks. Dont recal the name of it from years and years ago, but I bet the folks at the museum would know.

I took a class at corning many monns ago, and part of the tour was of the museum and the info available at the library they have. Great resource for research.

Candice

Emiko
2008-06-11, 4:03pm
I have the catalog from the first Gathering. It is a 15 page booklet with a photo each from 29 beadmakers. It was published by the bead museum in Scottsdale in '93.

There is also a book store in that area that handles old out of print glass blooks. Dont recal the name of it from years and years ago, but I bet the folks at the museum would know.
I think you are talking about Whitehouse Books. But their web site whitehouse-books.com shows just a blank page, so I don't know what's going on.
http://www.glassonweb.com/directory/details.php?id=2200

ArtcoInc
2008-06-11, 5:19pm
I think you are talking about Whitehouse Books. But their web site whitehouse-books.com shows just a blank page, so I don't know what's going on.

Alas, Whitehouse Books closed a while ago. Unfortunate too, as they had a great selection. I've spent a small fortune there myself :)

Malcolm

LaurieBSmith
2008-06-11, 5:49pm
Wow, I'm glad I asked!