Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : help with kiln purchase

Leofwynne
2008-07-16, 10:48am
Hi everyone. I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

I have had just about all I can take from a kiln with no digital controller. ](*,)Currently I have an Evenheat HotBox kiln (very tiny), which I liked b/c 1.) I could afford it, and 2.) I can fuse and batch anneal. It was fine for a couple of years because I wasn't doing a heck of a lot of either type of work, but now....now I'm off and running with lampworking and getting into fusing and PMC more. Having to babysit this kiln all day long and the inability to hit precise temps is making me crazy. I need a new kiln. The question is...what to buy?

Here are some parameters:
-my budget is tight, so less than $600 is optimum.
-digital controller is necessary
-must plug into standard household current

Some things I have considered....selling the HotBox and getting a small kiln that has a bead door and a digital controller so I can still do small fusing projects...keeping the HB and getting a Chili Pepper annealer, but then I would be w/o a digital controller for fusing and PMC...getting a bead door ring for the HB and just suck up the kiln babysitting until I can afford a big kiln.

I really need suggestions, so if anybody is inclined to help me make some choices, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
Christine

theglasszone
2008-07-16, 11:13am
Depending on the size of beads you make (and I work on the smaller side myself) I'd suggest this particular kiln:

Paragon SC2BD:

http://www.paragonweb.com/SC2_with_Bead_Door_and_Window.cfm

I know it's a bit out of your target price range (this link is direct to Paragon, but I'm posting links below where the price is slightly lower. You might consider calling Paragon and seeing if they'll make you a deal!?! Always worth a try...!!!)

This kiln does it all! You can anneal your beads and use the bead door; you can fuse glass, fire your PMC, Art Clay Silver, PMC Gold, etc. I got mine on eBay for a great price (a very lucky find!) and am in love with it!

It also features the Sentry 4.0 Digital Controller, and here's a YouTube video that gives you the basics on how to program the controller:

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQyJc0tiwi1Y

The bead annealing program is also simple to set up - and you can program your "soak" session (I think my basics sheet allows for a 3 hour work session, but you can go longer or shorter if necessary). The specific bead annealing program sheet comes separate - if you find you (or anyone) needs it for this particular controller, pop me a PM and I'll photocopy and mail/fax you one.

Here's some options to find this same kiln at a discount:

CoolTools has it for $631. with bead door AND WINDOW and FREE SHIPPING! CoolTools also has the same kiln WITHOUT WINDOW (mine has no window - no need, I'm patient!) for $593.00 and STILL FREE SHIPPING - what a bargain!

http://www.cooltools.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SC2

Clay King has it at $563. and $25.00 extra for the Bead Door - ALSO FREE SHIP:

http://www.clay-king.com/itempsc2.html

There might be other deals out there - this is what I found with a fairly quick search and from well-known, reliable distributors with excellent customer service reputations!

Just my two cents - let's see what others have to say! Good luck on your quest! I know you'll find something that works perfectly for you and the "no more babysitting" is going to be a great "freedom bell" for you! :)

DeAnne in CA

Hayley
2008-07-16, 11:21am
I love my glasshive kiln made by Mike Crowley but not sure if it's big enough for your fusing projects. . . it's only 6" deep.

http://theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html

Dennis Brady
2008-07-16, 12:18pm
Hi everyone. I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

I have had just about all I can take from a kiln with no digital controller. ](*,)Currently I have an Evenheat HotBox kiln (very tiny), which I liked b/c 1.) I could afford it, and 2.) I can fuse and batch anneal. It was fine for a couple of years because I wasn't doing a heck of a lot of either type of work, but now....now I'm off and running with lampworking and getting into fusing and PMC more. Having to babysit this kiln all day long and the inability to hit precise temps is making me crazy. I need a new kiln. The question is...what to buy?

Here are some parameters:
-my budget is tight, so less than $600 is optimum.
-digital controller is necessary
-must plug into standard household current

Some things I have considered....selling the HotBox and getting a small kiln that has a bead door and a digital controller so I can still do small fusing projects...keeping the HB and getting a Chili Pepper annealer, but then I would be w/o a digital controller for fusing and PMC...getting a bead door ring for the HB and just suck up the kiln babysitting until I can afford a big kiln.

I really need suggestions, so if anybody is inclined to help me make some choices, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
Christine

AIM 84BD $512.50
Great little kiln versatile enough to be used for both annealing and fusing.

AIM CR413D $585.00
Elements in quartz tubes and build in bead rack.

Both kilns with Bartlett 3 key digital controller.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/products%20Kiln%20FLBK.html

AIM has always been notoriously slow getting klins built and shipped but we've just worked out arrangements with them to reliably get kilns out in 3 to 4 weeks.

loco
2008-07-16, 12:51pm
My first kiln of choice is The Glass Hive. That is not within your budget...

The second would be the Paragon. It's a great sturdy kiln! I had one for a few years before I out grew it, essentially it ended up costing me 195.00 for 3 years use. Great on the resale end...

I am not a fan of exposed bricks. It's OK to call me loco, I am!

2xMI
2008-07-16, 1:48pm
Christine--

I have several Paragon kilns, and used the Paragon Fusion 7 as an annealing kiln for six months or so before I got a Chili Pepper. The Fusion 7 has a 13" round firing surface for fusing; it's 6-7" deep. You'll need a heat proof glove to open the kiln lid if you're using it as an annealing kiln.

You can check it out here: http://cdvkiln.com/menuglas.htm

I've purchased kilns from them before and they're very helpful. You could also call them and discuss your needs.

Mimi

sunnyone
2008-07-17, 4:09am
I've got to third the glasshive! awesome kiln. Really wished I had just bit the bullet before I bought my jen ken...but it served it's purpose. If you are going to need a bigger kiln eventually get the glasshive for beads and keep your other kiln for the pmc and fusing.

crystal

Leofwynne
2008-07-17, 11:36am
I've got to third the glasshive! awesome kiln. Really wished I had just bit the bullet before I bought my jen ken...but it served it's purpose. If you are going to need a bigger kiln eventually get the glasshive for beads and keep your other kiln for the pmc and fusing.

crystal

I was thinking of getting a separate kiln solely for annealing, and so many people have recommended the Glass Hive kilns to me, I might be upping my budget somewhat. I really like how wide they are.

Keeping the HotBox might be ok for PMC and fusing for now, especially since even though I hate kiln-sitting, I feel far more confident about fusing/slumping temps and control than I do about batch annealing. A big kiln with a 15" shelf is not possible until we are able to build my husband an external workshop and I can have the garage. :(

I batch annealed a few pendants yesterday that are five-petal flowers (petals pulled individually and attached to a base). They were hanging on a mandrel in the kiln and they all folded up. Guess it got too hot in there, and gravity does work, apparently. I'm so sad about it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Now all I need is money and I can get a new kiln!!

Christine

Hayley
2008-07-17, 2:09pm
Christine - glad you are working towards the Glass Hive kiln! Do make sure that you get one with two doors! Mike Crowley provides the best customer service to boot!!!