Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Kiln making louder buzzing noises?

mandyjw
2008-07-20, 2:03pm
My firebrick kiln is 4 years old and has recently started making much louder buzzing noises when the heating elements are working. The noise is coming from the controler, not from inside the kiln. Is it anything to worry about?

Dennis Brady
2008-07-20, 2:58pm
My firebrick kiln is 4 years old and has recently started making much louder buzzing noises when the heating elements are working. The noise is coming from the controler, not from inside the kiln. Is it anything to worry about?

The relay is getting ready to die. If it dies in the on position, you'll have a runaway kiln that fires up to maximum possible temperature and stays there until to pull the plug. It IS something to worry about. The relay may last months or may die tonight. Replace it. It should cost about $25 and takes just minutes to replace.

Kilns have only two switch positions - on and off. The relay turns the kiln on and off as required to provide the temperature ramps or holds instructed by the controller. On average, they last about 10,000 clicks. Some have been know to give up in less than a year while others last 10 or more.

Replace it before you lose a load and possibily even damage your kiln.

You may find this Kiln Repair Guide helpful.
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials/pdf/Kiln%20Repair%20Guide.pdf

Beadanna
2008-07-20, 3:03pm
Denis,
As a friend of mine would say - "you are a mind of information!"

Beadanna

Dennis Brady
2008-07-20, 3:20pm
Denis,
As a friend of mine would say - "you are a mind of information!"

Beadanna

When I started selling kilns, cutomers brought their technical questions to me. I made a point of learning as much as I could about kiln operation and repair. I even learned enough that now I'm experimenting with building kilns.

Whether it's stained glass, kilnforming, torchworking, casting, or sandblasting, Victorian Art Glass was built on being able to supply technical support for customers. That support was expanded to create Glass Campus to provide that support for all that wanted help. There's over 100 tutorials and video clips there now and I'm doing my best to add at least a dozen more every month. I also encourage anybody that wishes to contribute to send their tutorials for posting. My goal is to create the most comprehensive glass educational source that exists. I've definitely planning a video on how to replace elements and relays and how to repair damaged brick.

Glass Campus is my way of paying back all the fantastic artisans that helped me learn enough to build a business that I'm now able to pass on to my two sons.

Carolyn M
2008-07-20, 8:33pm
I agree with Dennis. this is exactly what happened before my Jenken coils and/or relay died. I replaced both just to make sure.