Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Vinyl masking for etching or sandblasting beads

OnCloud9
2008-07-22, 5:26am
Hi there
I have seen the technique (i think Diana East uses it) where you apply vinyl masking resist (???) to a bead and only the areas that remain uncovered are affected by the etching or sandblasting.

My question . . .is this a specialty item for glass only? or a common household item? and where can you buy this product?

I appreciate your feedback.
I'm off to work . . .have a great day!
Carol

Anubis_83
2008-07-22, 5:37am
hi
I'm using windowcolor to cover all those parts of the bead I don't want to etch. It is easy to peel off and quite convenient.

greets :)

Vanessa

menty666
2008-07-22, 7:10am
I like the vinyl contact paper for shelves myself.

Electrical tape works nicely too but the adhesive can be a pain.

Dennis Brady
2008-07-22, 8:48am
Hi there
I have seen the technique (i think Diana East uses it) where you apply vinyl masking resist (???) to a bead and only the areas that remain uncovered are affected by the etching or sandblasting.

My question . . .is this a specialty item for glass only? or a common household item? and where can you buy this product?

I appreciate your feedback.
I'm off to work . . .have a great day!
Carol

You'll get best results with "resist" made specially for sandblasting, but as others have mentioned, other products work well. We do a lot of sandblasting and rent use of equipment to various artisans. Most that blast beads or cabochons just use regular masking tape.

You can buy "resist" from any glass art supplier that carries sandblasting supplies or from many signmakers that use it to make signs on glass, wood, metal, or stone.

Sandblasting is a fabulous way to add extra detail to your work. Here's a special way to combine fusing and sandblasting.
http://www.glasscampus.com/classes/projects/Kilnformed_flashed_glass.pdf

Cosmo
2008-07-22, 9:32am
I can get you all you need. We use it in our signmaking business. Comes in rolls.

Let me know how much you need.

SteveWright
2008-07-22, 10:50am
For bead scale resist I use vinyl tape. I also like my sign vinyl for larger projects.

If you really want to go nuts with this, google up rayzist or photobrasive. I got most of my stuff from rayzist, but once lived a couple miles from photobrasive so i use some of their resist too. Way too much fun, a learning curve and too expensive, but a great springboard to expanded skills.

Steve

Anat Golan
2008-07-22, 9:30pm
Hi Dennis
Can one use 'resist' on glass only? Can it be used on metal?
Thank you, Anat

Dennis Brady
2008-07-22, 10:35pm
Hi Dennis
Can one use 'resist' on glass only? Can it be used on metal?
Thank you, Anat

You can use resist on anything smooth enough for it to stick. We use the same resist for glass, metal, stone, and wood. We've used resist on metal and blasted right through it to create metal stencils.

OnCloud9
2008-07-23, 5:16am
Fabulous information everyone . . .thanks so much for helping me to understand this process a bit better. I am really interested in trying something a little different with my glass beads and love the effect of sandblasting that creates levels of texture and visual effect.

Dennis thanks for the link I will check that out.
Cosmo, once I figure out where in can rent some time on a sandblaster in the Toronto area I'll pm you about some product.

take care and have a great day . . . off to work again . . .no rest for the wicked <grin>

Carol

Panache
2020-04-04, 11:46am
Cool