Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Didymium that fit over glasses (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275759)

truegem 2015-02-25 9:01pm

Didymium that fit over glasses

Any recommendations? I need some that fit over my prescription glasses. Which ones to buy? Please only reply if you actually use them or have had experience with them.

Thank you!
-Patti

gallerygal 2015-02-26 2:09am

I've got the fitover ones, don't know the brand - they're black framed.

I don't like them, they press on my nose as they're quite heavy and I need to add padding to them to stop the pain and discomfort. If I forget to put the padding on them, then after a couple of hours the pain is enough that I have to stop torching.

Someone else in a class was using the same ones and she had the same problems - I think she used those little corn patches to try and alleviate the pressure.

At the moment I'm using the optivisor style ones - headband with a dropdown screen - and they're pretty good. The only thing I don't like is that it gets really humid here in Summer so my hair gets sweaty around the band but that's nothing compared to nose pain!

Can't wait for my eyesight changes to stop, then I'll invest in prescription didymiums.

Am currently thinking about getting a didy screen....

truegem 2015-02-26 3:02am

See, I'm glad I asked...wow! I figured I better ask because I wouldn't want to end up with a bad investment, they are expensive! I'll see what more people have to say. Thank you for your input, very helpful!

neagle 2015-02-26 5:33am

I have the fit over ones from Arrow Springs. They are pretty lightweight and comfortable. I really like them.

mandyjw 2015-02-26 6:05am

I have some I purchased from Frantz, they are OK. They don't fit over some of my most bold glasses frames though. If you have wire frames you'll probably be ok with them, if you have the thick plastic ones maybe not.

truegem 2015-02-26 6:35am

Aw, you two, long time no see! How ya doin'?

truegem 2015-02-26 6:51am

What about these? The price is good...does anyone see any reason I should not get these? I can't tell how heavy they would be, though...

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.asp?prodid=548085

Trish915 2015-02-26 7:36am

Have you considered a didymium shield instead? I have one and love it. I wear contacts, but need readers for close work, or wear glasses without contacts. The shield is wonderful. And there is a posting in the garage sale for one for $75. well, actually via craigslist.
http://ventura.craigslist.org/ard/4849486141.html

2xMI 2015-02-26 8:07am

I use the ones from Arrow Springs, as well. How comfortable they are will depend on the glasses you're wearing under them. They were slightly uncomfortable with the glasses I had been using, but are great now with the newest pair of lightweight plastic rames I'm using under them. Is there anyway you can do a road test with what you're thinking of buying? Would they give you the option of returning them? You'd know pretty quickly if they'll work with your face/glasses. Good luck!

Mimi

Curly Irish Girl 2015-02-26 8:47am

Ali use ACE clip on like sunglasses over my RX glasses....got them from Arrow. springs easily 8 yrs ago.....love them

AmorphousDesigns 2015-02-26 10:04am

I use fitovers and yes, they were uncomfortable at first until I figured out that I needed to add some moleskin on the nose area and eyeglass holders that cinch behind my head to take the pressure off the top of my ears. They are so comfortable now I sometimes forget I have them on and go out in public looking like a glaucoma recovery patient, LOL.

hyperT 2015-02-26 10:58am

You can try this page for reading didymium glasses they work fine for me.

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog...showprevnext=1

artsyuno 2015-02-26 11:16am

I find fit overs to be miserable, so I had clip-ons made for a pair of my regular glasses. I ordered the clip on frames from my local eye glass place and then sent them to Phillips to have the lenses made. The lenses were $60 + shipping and took less than 2 weeks. The clip on frames must be the type that lenses screw into, not pop in.

queenofsheba52 2015-02-26 12:14pm

I have sensitive eyes so I wear didys *and* use a shield. I have didys that fit over my regular glasses but as was already stated, they get awfully heavy on my nose. Now I just go without my prescription glasses and wear only the didys and use the shield....works OK until I need to see small details. I'm interested in the clip-ons!

beadgal 2015-02-26 12:53pm

I got mine from Phillips

AKDesigns 2015-02-26 5:16pm

I have fitovers I got from Malcolm and they are Phillips. They take a bit getting used to but I do like them. I bring them to the eye doctor with me to make sure the new frames fit inside well each time I get a new prescription. The best thing is that they are ACE2 which is a huge improvement protecting my eyes from the intensity of the bright silver glass. Only Malcolm can get those for you. Phillips made a mistake making the ACE3 once and the glass came out lighter and they only have a little left. Malcolm had them dig it out of a storage room for me. :) So anyone super heating silver glass may want to think about getting some, especially if you have blue eyes which are more sensitive to light.

truegem 2015-02-26 8:04pm

Oh, so many helpful ideas! The shield intrigues me, but it would be soooo different, not sure I could get used to it....
I have a lot to consider, thank you!

Jayne 2015-02-26 9:01pm

I've got them and like them. No problems whatsoever :grin:

truegem 2015-02-26 9:54pm

Hi Jayne!!!
Which ones? Where did you get them? There are so many styles, choices, I was looking/hoping to get details to help make my decision.
Thank you!

alb6094 2015-02-26 10:34pm

I have a shield, I love it!

I have a pair of clip on ones with a gold frame, no clue who made them. I got them in a giant lot off eBay when I first started lampworking. As others have said, they were heavy and uncomfortable. I've just held onto them in case I ever take a class or get to see a demo somewhere and need them.

Ray_ 2015-02-27 8:01am

I just ordered clip ons.
I haven't gotten them yet so I dont know how I feel about them yet,
but figured at the price...its worth a try.

http://saltcityglass.com/products/clip-boroscopes/

Jayne 2015-02-28 8:25am

Hi Patti! I got mine over 10 years ago, so long that I don't remember where. They're the butt-ugly, cheap-O, economy ones. They came with an adjustable cord attached to them which keeps them in place. They've fit over every pair of glasses I've owned during that time. People laugh because they look so dorky. But I don't care; I'm old enough & earned the right to wear what I want, haha!

ArtcoInc 2015-03-02 1:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayne (Post 4719800)
Hi Patti! I got mine over 10 years ago, so long that I don't remember where. They're the butt-ugly, cheap-O, economy ones. They came with an adjustable cord attached to them which keeps them in place. They've fit over every pair of glasses I've owned during that time. People laugh because they look so dorky. But I don't care; I'm old enough & earned the right to wear what I want, haha!

These are (were) the Phillips SC-9000 frames. These were sold as their 'fit over' frames a while back. Unfortunately, this frame was discontinued some time ago, and has been replaced with a newer 'fit over' frame. The new frame is light and pretty comfortable, but won't fit over larger frame styles.

Malcolm