Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Propane regulator wonky (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289301)

scootrgrl 2016-08-20 7:12pm

Propane regulator wonky

My flame went "inconsistent" today...nice fine flame then bushy than back and forth every few seconds. When I was done with beads I took the regulator off and turned the T knob and it shot up to 20 psi and let out a gasp...when I turned the knob right down. Bear in mind that it wasn't connected to anything at this point. Is it kaput or could it be the heat? I had the tank blocked off from the sun but it is pretty damn hot out here regardless of the shade.

Thanks,
Janet

KJohn 2016-08-20 7:51pm

Hot out here where I work too, and I have had two fail after 6 months each. I have been getting the more inexpensive ones, and went for one with a warranty this time. It does sound like it's the problem. :(

Katia 2016-08-21 1:36am

Janet, it's probably heat, especially if your regulator does not have excess flow valve built in, it's hot and your tank is full (or close to that). Also if for some reason it was filled with more gas than it should be. But you need to test it under normal temperatures to ensure it works properly.

If you have to expose the tank to high temperatures it is better to have a regulator with the excess flow valve, it blocks the flow if it exceeds the preset max level.

scootrgrl 2016-08-21 1:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katia (Post 4872051)
Janet, it's probably heat, especially if your regulator does not have excess flow valve built in, it's hot and your tank is full (or close to that). Also if for some reason it was filled with more gas than it should be. But you need to test it under normal temperatures to ensure it works properly.

If you have to expose the tank to high temperatures it is better to have a regulator with the excess flow valve, it blocks the flow if it exceeds the preset max level.

Thanks! It's a bit cooler today and I have to torch so I'll see if it's any better. I'm planning on upgrading my whole torch set up so it will have to do for now, cooler weather is coming!

Janet

scootrgrl 2016-08-21 1:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4872014)
Hot out here where I work too, and I have had two fail after 6 months each. I have been getting the more inexpensive ones, and went for one with a warranty this time. It does sound like it's the problem. :(

Yeah...I'm hanging on until I can upgrade everything. Fall is coming so I think all will be good, thanks for the info.

Janet

Katia 2016-08-21 1:50pm

Janet, good luck :)

But when you plan your upgrade please think about the regulator first - it is your safe output and it must be under control without any doubts at all. It is a bit more expensive - yes, but comparing to your life it is nothing.

Speedslug 2016-08-22 3:33am

Aye, there is a rubber membrane in the regulator as well as various O rings and they can deteriorate just from age.

The more expensive kinds can be worth the cost of rebuilding where as the cheaper one just get tossed.

scootrgrl 2016-08-26 12:36pm

Yes! It was the heat! The weather has been cooler and my flame is back to normal, thanks everyone for the tips!

Janet

Speedslug 2016-08-26 9:07pm

You could try putting a bucket upside down over the regulator to keep the worst of the direct sunlight off the metal parts.

There are some pretty tiny springs and levers inside those things and just a little heat expansion can make them act weird.