Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   welding rods-beads sticking (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287073)

lpkeefe 2016-04-27 6:08pm

welding rods-beads sticking

I bought welding rods from Ace hardware. Used the 1/4' ones and noticed they got a bit warm when I was at the torch (cut them in 12' sections). I dealt with that but dang if the beads and release are frozen on the rod. My question is was I suppose to process these in any way before using them? It was my understanding that if I got "welding rods" I could cut and use...any help much appreciated.

houptdavid 2016-04-27 6:40pm

Um, what kind of welding rod?

You need tig rod, stainless steel 308, 309 or 316

lpkeefe 2016-04-27 6:45pm

I kept tags and lost them. Thank you for the specifics so that I can check on that. Hubby just used a rivet gun and got one off, the other met its demise--live and learn, thank you

KJohn 2016-04-27 7:35pm

Hi! Perhaps silly question but are you also using bead release?
And yes, new rods have to be scrubbed really well or have that oily coating burned off. Or the release will flake or beads will stick because the release didn't hold.

I run mine through the flame and then quench in water and dry. Only dip dry mandrels, or else there will be bubbles. HTH

artwhim 2016-04-27 9:13pm

My local ACE has never carried the stainless steel rods, but perhaps your ACE does? Even our local farm supply store that carries a lot of welding equipment doesn't carry stainless rods. I go to a welding supply store for them. If you are uncertain, you can mail order them from several suppliers, including Delphi.

Speedslug 2016-04-27 11:54pm

Aye, and I take a swatch of emery cloth to mine as well after a wipe down with alcohol.

Since I cut mine down to size with side cutters I also file the sharp nibs off the ends too.

Those things leave nasty cuts on my uncalloused hands and they always bite you when you don't expect it.

Ravenesque 2016-04-28 11:37pm

member losthelm sells good mandrels for a nice price too. I don't buy anything above 1/16th to cut myself, too much hassle and they're cheap enough to buy.

losthelm 2016-04-29 6:50pm

Thanks for the product endorsement.
It may have been K & S brand hobby metal.
Not sure what alloy they are.
Cleaning them with dawn dishsoap and hot water should remove grease, oil, or waxes.

Angie09 2016-05-02 7:52am

I just purchases 303 food grade stainless steel rods in 7/32" ... are these going to be OK to use?

losthelm 2016-05-02 9:44pm

Should work, I use that alloy making extra small beads and torch enameling.

FosterFire 2016-05-04 5:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthelm (Post 4845967)
Thanks for the product endorsement.
It may have been K & S brand hobby metal.
Not sure what alloy they are.
Cleaning them with dawn dishsoap and hot water should remove grease, oil, or waxes.

That's what I do and mine work just fine. I use 316 stainless.

Dasi 2016-05-07 1:55pm

I use 306L and 316 L TIG. Never have any problems... I buy at the welding supply store. I ask the guy if I can see the rods and only purchase the ones that look straightest.... He always gets pissed at me and says your melting them so what is the difference "sweety"??? I have explained to him and showed him a bead on a mandrel.... That is when the guys says.. OH, you can't use them for that "HONEY"!! UGH... anyway 306L and 316L hold up best for me.