Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Electronic mandrel spinner (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274279)

Hillarycampfield 2015-01-13 6:21am

Electronic mandrel spinner

Have any of you used the electric mandrel spinner? Do you like it? Is it hard to use? Would you recommend it? Does it hold 3/16 size rods? I would love to hear some feedback about this product.

Thanks

Hillary

Mina 2015-01-13 7:55am

I have one. I like it. You do have to make sure your mandrels are straight. My most favorite thing to use it for are disc beads and twisties. I am twistie challenged but with the EMS you can make very nice even twisties. I also have the brass round barrel marver. When using both the EMS and the marver you can make long tube beads and bicone beads really fast.

The only thing I don't like about it is the electric cord and the battery box. It takes up a lot of room on my limited work area and it's a little occward with the cord.

LyndaJ 2015-01-13 8:27am

My favorite tool. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's great for getting base shapes done quickly and evenly. I have trouble with my thumb and this has been a lifesaver.

They sell one that accepts 3/16 size mandrels.

Speedslug 2015-01-13 9:04am

I have the deluxe model and I am very happy with it.

You will need to get used to the power cord ( I have mine zip tied under the front edge of the bench so I can have the box at my right hand and the spinner in my left).

It has saved me from having to train up my hands to keep rotating the mandrel with out my having to think about it.

Slower works better for me.

betsymn 2015-01-13 11:59am

It's one of my most important tools. Hint: Use electrical tape to tape the power cord to the barrel of the spinner. Over the years the constant movement eventually breaks the wire connection to the round spinner wheel. I'm on my fourth one now, and I finally got smart enough to do that right away.

kerribeads 2015-01-13 8:33pm

I love my spinner!! I use it mostly to create spacer beads (which I give as a bonus to each of my customers). This invention of Scott's has been a lifesaver!!

asimeral 2015-01-14 10:32am

The EMS has saved me from furthering the start of Carpal Tunnel. I rarely make a bead without it anymore.

Birdy 2015-01-18 8:41am

EMS Repair

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsymn (Post 4701983)
It's one of my most important tools. Hint: Use electrical tape to tape the power cord to the barrel of the spinner. Over the years the constant movement eventually breaks the wire connection to the round spinner wheel. I'm on my fourth one now, and I finally got smart enough to do that right away.

I've gone through a few EMS hand pieces, too. Finally thought to ask Scott about repairs. He told me that many of them can be repaired for around $25. Haven't sent any of mine to him for repair yet, but am going to contact him about it soon - was waiting for his busy holiday season to finish.
Birdy

LyndaJ 2015-01-18 9:33am

I sent one I for repair several years ago. Seamless transaction.

Magicfire 2015-01-18 11:15am

I was wondering about repairing them too! Mine has a frayed cord...however, it looks like the cord could be easily replaced.

I don't think I could live without it long enough to get it fixed.

My daughter spliced the cord for me so I could keep using it. I wonder if I can buy a new cord and fix it myself, though.

Canyon Echoes 2015-03-04 9:50pm

I love mine but it is still under warranty and has a short in the wiring. Called Diamond Tech 3 times to get the required return auth # but no reply.
Also wrote to Scott for advice and no answers. Love the product but the service sure seems to be lacking:(.

steiconi 2015-03-08 12:32pm

There are several old threads about EMS, too. Search for "electric" mandrel spinner (this is the only thread using "electronic")

There's even a thread about making your own http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144019
but I'm not sure anybody ever got it to work.

Speedslug 2015-03-08 2:38pm

I got an EMS and other Bear Foot Art tools from Diamond Tech Crafts dot com for about half of retail after I sent in a copy of my state tax ID.

Although I would have loved to have found that thread before I spent my money.