Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials to purchase (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Newbie tutorials! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101393)

beadworkstudio 2008-08-16 12:51pm

Newbie tutorials!

xxx

ekkc 2008-08-16 1:08pm

Cool Sheila! They look great!

lwilson21 2008-08-16 2:03pm

Nice job, and what a great thing to do!

Leah

WildatHeart 2008-08-16 2:26pm

Thanks, Sheila! Very nicely done.

An editing note for you, in the last tutorial the last photo on page 2 is out of place. I believe it's supposed to be the last photo on page 1 or the first on page 2.

:-)
Beth

EaglesLegacy 2008-08-16 9:57pm

Awesome! Thanks Shiela. I like the idea of the torch printout, too.

afina 2008-08-17 12:48am

Sheila, I think it is very generous of you to share these, thank you!

beadworkstudio 2008-08-17 11:04am

You're very welcome.

You're right Beth, that last photo looks out of place. It's the final bead if you don't put the dots of transparent color over white, and I haven't figured out how to put it in without messing up my layout. It's there now until I can get a piece made as an example, which will have both types of flowers. :)

tt4st 2008-08-17 11:14am

Sheila, How nice of you to take the time to put these together. I am going to try your poked dots exercise because my flowers suck!

VitreousTyro 2008-08-17 11:58am

These are really nice. I must try the staggered dot one!

thanks.

- Jill :koolaid:

Belladonna 2008-08-17 12:21pm

Since I'm currently a newbie I have to say I'm very happy that you took the time to make something to help people like me out. It can be so overwhelming when you first start lampworking. I look forward to seeing more! :)

jewelrybypatty 2008-08-20 4:17am

Thank you so much for sharing these. I can't wait to go over them tonight.

ziggys 2008-08-20 2:01pm

Hi Shelia! Your always up to something good. :-) I read all the tutorials and think they are great. I wish I had read the first one, basic bead before I started trying to learn how to make matching spacers. My approach has been to wing it and pray. You approach is much more helpful. I learned a few other things too, and I've already made around 1000 beads. I'm going to try the flower beads too!

bbnana 2008-08-20 7:03pm

Thanks Sheila! I can't wait to try the poked dot flower tutorial.

clutter73 2008-08-21 5:16am

For a newbie like myself these are wonderful. Thank you!

Ekkie 2008-08-21 5:51am

Great work Sheila! It's a good idea for anyone to take another look at the basics - not just newbies.

Thanks
Jenn

Debbie 2008-08-21 6:37am

These are great, Sheila. My only suggestion would be to rename the Poked Dot Tutorial "Poked Flower Bead" because when I opened it, I was expecting the Poked Dot technique, where one polks the middle of the dot and then adds a transparent over the poked dot getting a bubble. That seems like the logical next tutorial to do. :-)

GiGiC 2008-08-21 10:01am

Great job! I really like your torch sheets. Super idea!

noonie 2008-08-22 8:32am

These are really good!! I didn't even have to read any other the instructions, the pictures said it all. Looking forward to more.

Beadanna 2008-08-22 10:01am

Thanks so much Sheila - these are great - and I love the colours.

Anna

OOHLALA 2008-08-22 10:33pm

Tuts

Hey Sheila,
I just wanted you to know that I just got off the torch trying your tutorials, I was having drama a few days back when my dots were crummy. I made three of each of the beads you made the tutorials on and they came out pretty well. They taught me patience with placing them and patience to work the rubino. I will take some pictures when they get out of the fiber blanket. I am not kiln worthy yet, but I appreciate your efforts.
Linda

beadworkstudio 2008-08-23 12:43am

Thanks for the nice words. I'm so happy that these are useful. Like I said, I originally wrote them only as writing and design samples. They still aren't finished, but at least the four exercises are ready to use. It's so nice to get feedback!

Good point, Debbie. I didn't even think of that. Thanks! I'm not doing trapped bubbles because I don't make them (except a few times early on) so I haven't perfected them. Maybe I should include them but I don't feel I can offer any good advice. ;)

Linda, I'm so glad the exercises helped you! I would love to see pictures, especially before and after. :)

beadsoncypress 2008-08-23 2:49am

My staggered dots have never worked to my satisfaction, but with your tutorial I think I am going to give it another try! Clear, concise and great explanations!

madelyn1 2008-08-23 9:28am

Wonderful tutorials and the torch sheet makes it perfect!!
Thanks for sharing, can't wait to practice these!

Shirley

Graceful Creations 2008-08-25 12:02pm

Thanks

Sheila,
Thanks for the awesome tutorials. They are well written, very easy to follow, and the pictures are just the tops !!!

I hope to see more of your tutorials in the future. I will bookmark them, for sure.

Peggy

agw 2008-08-25 6:52pm

Shelia, Thanks so much for your tutorials! I have printed them out to take down to my torch to follow next time I fire up my hothead! What you have written is exactly what I am looking for. Step by Step directions!

I have bookmarked your site and (no pressure! LOL) will be checking for the other two you mentioned!

Many many thanks!

osvold 2008-08-28 9:54am

Hello Sheila,
great description, but i have small comment to the 8 dot excercise. As newbie, i had big troubles withe even spacing of the dots. I think, it is allmost impossible to turn bead 1/4 and hit the right spot. The technique, what works for me (and i think for many others beadmakers) is little bit diferrent. I make the first dot, and a small reference dot on the mandrel. Then, thanks to the reference point i can turn the mandrel 1/2 turn allmost exactly. So you hve now two equidistant dots and you can halve the intervals further to 4, 8, etc dots. The same technique is used for 6 (12, etc ...) only after the first two dots i do two dots on each halft, it goes pretty good to hit the right distance. Maybe, you can use this as alternative for you tutorial.

beadworkstudio 2008-08-28 2:04pm

Thanks for the feedback, osvold. My next exercise (which is almost ready) is 6 dots, and I use exactly that method except I completely forgot about the reference dot on the mandrel (which I haven't needed for a long time--thanks for the reminder!). I'll put a note in the 8-dot exercise that you can use the method from the 6-dot bead as an alternative. For me, the 90 degree turns were easy to master but 180 degrees was hard. I think everyone is a little different. :)

rrunner 2008-08-31 6:33am

Thank you Sheila,I am so new to lampworking that I have only taken 5 classes and in the process of setting up a studio.* I know that I am going to have to practice and learn some things on my own and I was wanting a step by step guide of learning different techniques.* Since I am so new to lampworking, I was worried that I'd try something that required the knowledge of some basics before being able to actually achieve whatever it is that I wanted to do which would lead to frustration and maybe giving up.* I really appreciate the fact that you want to share your work with everyone.Cheryl

glasseyeyes 2008-09-13 2:32pm

These are great! I have only been doing this for about 3 weeks now and am self taught! I do hope your going to do more, how about one on how to do the nice little dimples where to bead meets the mandrel. It's driving me mad trying and trying to get them..........

Lara 2008-09-13 5:07pm

Those are great! Good job.