Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Are Hydroponics Glasses good Alternatives to Didymium Safety Glasses (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288860)

JosieS 2016-07-30 9:36am

Are Hydroponics Glasses good Alternatives to Didymium Safety Glasses

I work with a hot head torch and have no current plans to change. Last week I was told that I have beginning cataracts. Sucks! But mostly I want to protect my eyes against further damage. I have been using UV protective goggles, but I want something a bit more protective against sodium flare.

Problem is, I can't see well in dim light. Can't even drive at night. The didymium glasses are too dark for me to work.

Has anyone tried using Hydroponic / Grow-Light glasses instead?

These glasses are made to block the harsh yellow light emitted from the High Pressure Sodium lighting used in commercial grow rooms. They also give UVA/B/C protection and are anti-glare.

For me the benefit is that they are not as dark as the didymium glasses, which allows me to see what I am doing. Since I do not need the serious protection with a hot head torch, I'm willing to give them a try rather than quitting this hobby that I am passionate about.

Plus, the price is a fraction of the didymium glasses, which I can't find many that fit over my bi-focals. $15 for a decent poly-carbonate pair.

Does anyone else try these? What do you guys think?

JosieS

Eileen 2016-07-30 11:26am

I personally would get brighter lighting, but maybe someone else has tried them already and can help.

SGA 2016-07-30 12:07pm

Aura has a lavender lens. Much lighter than dark purple didys.

bluhealer 2016-07-30 12:27pm

I'd probably ask the eye doctor on this one---if you know you have a problem, don't try to see what you can get away with.

You could install better lighting, too, like Eileen said, but I would still use didys along with that.

Katia 2016-07-30 2:13pm

Beginning cataracts may progress faster if your eye's protection is not sufficient. Eileen tip seems to be the first thing to do - better direct and focused light.

Phill (Speedslug) mentioned didy shield - it is more comfortable if you wear glasses. And in combination with better lighting it could provide good protection and comfort to work.

But unfortunately the eye deseases can not be stopped without surgery if they are progressing :( But may be accelerated if proper safety and care are not observed...

De Anza Art Glass Club 2016-07-30 4:01pm

I think you want to protect against IR, and UV isn't a problem with soft glass.

Try Wale Apparatus. They offer a lighter shade of soft glass protective wear.
Look at the "S" series.
Keep watching the site. Around traditional sale days, they always have 20% off, sometimes 15%.

Edit: Forgot to include link:
https://www.waleapparatus.com/product/fit-over-style/

Eileen 2016-07-30 4:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluhealer (Post 4866671)
I'd probably ask the eye doctor on this one---if you know you have a problem, don't try to see what you can get away with.

You could install better lighting, too, like Eileen said, but I would still use didys along with that.

I'm sorry, I meant with the didy's, not alone.

Speedslug 2016-07-30 5:07pm

If you already have a pair of diddys that you feel are too dark then the next logical step is to improve the amount of lighting.

If your cataracts continue to grow on you even the hydroponics glasses will only work for a little while anyway and you will need to increase the lighting after all and also you may be causing more harm to your eyes by not using protection designed for the task you doing.

It is most likely true that soft glass on a hot head is not going to produce -as much- UVA, UVB, IR or soda flare as a two fuel torch or boro glass but I think that at least a little of each is gong to be present even in a hot head.

Cataracts were a big problem for glass bead makers back in the days of using a foot bellows and an oil lamp and that wont be as hot as a hot head.

It the glass is hot enough to melt then the glass itself will radiate light that is going to damage your eyes without proper protection.

So, yeah, no.

Get some diddys and a lot more lighting and don't risk your eyesight to something less.

It's just not worth the risk.

De Anza Art Glass Club 2016-07-30 9:12pm

OK, I'll be more forceful. I'm sure the problem is with IR and I'll provide a link next time if I have to look it up. No further comment on UV.

In fact, I believe that the sodium flare is more of a nuisance and an impediment to seeing detail on your work rather than being harmful. There are hothead workers who do detail work that does not produce the sodium flare, and often you see them working without dydimium for that reason, when they still should be using IR filter glasses.

When didymium glasses were first used, all they did was cut sodium flare. If you read evaluations by glass eyewear makers, they say that the old style didymium without IR protection are not recommended. However, "didymium" has become a generic term for lampworking glasses that filter the sodium flare and modern glasses do filter IR.

mandyjw 2016-07-31 4:59am

So these S series glasses do not offer IR protection. https://www.waleapparatus.com/product/fit-over-style/

I suffer from the same problem, I can't make nice beads on my hothead without taking off my glasses. I have greatly improved my lighting, but it makes no difference.

SGA 2016-07-31 3:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club (Post 4866780)
OK, I'll be more forceful. I'm sure the problem is with IR and I'll provide a link next time if I have to look it up. No further comment on UV.

In fact, I believe that the sodium flare is more of a nuisance and an impediment to seeing detail on your work rather than being harmful. There are hothead workers who do detail work that does not produce the sodium flare, and often you see them working without dydimium for that reason, when they still should be using IR filter glasses.

When didymium glasses were first used, all they did was cut sodium flare. If you read evaluations by glass eyewear makers, they say that the old style didymium without IR protection are not recommended. However, "didymium" has become a generic term for lampworking glasses that filter the sodium flare and modern glasses do filter IR.

I will second this. De Anza is not stressing it forcefully enough. I was on my way to a bucket of medications and a close relationship with a neurologist. I had horrific vomiting from pain piercing headaches. No clear cause because even when I saw my optician, they were more concerned about my computer use. They never understood what I did. On my own, I went with Mike from Auralens. I invested in the clear IR filtration.

The Angels sang. I can't say enough about that clear IR filter. It is heads and shoulders above the basic didys. Mine are a very light, lavender color. I can tell a difference in tint when looking around the world, but not light. My older non-IR darker didys weren't protecting me as much as the lighter, IR lenses.

I love mine and I am glad someone else is making the remarks that IR filtration is so important.

Wales has a better price than Mike. I'm not trying to say Mike is the one you need. It's just the one I found first. The important factor is, Wales or Auralens... Get the IR filter.

SGA 2016-07-31 3:58pm

Fwiw I have The AGW-300. Super expensive but I was experiencing some enormous eye strain. Since I have had LASIK in the past, I liked the sensitive eye suggestion.

mandyjw 2016-08-08 6:23am

So I bought the SB series glasses from Wale. They are still dark as expected but the frames fit a LOT better than the previous ones I had. It's also easier to make myself wear them if I know they are actually protecting my eyes from IR.